PDA

View Full Version : Missing Water Textures

SoulSurvivor
07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Am I the only one thats noticed this? Where the hell are the water_sewer and water_timor textures?

Screenshot (http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8365/missingwatertextures.png)

(I have checked the integrity of my files and they are fine.)

This needs a fix asap!

dig1tal_cha0s
07-30-2010, 05:39 PM
It does not need a fix nothing is wrong. When u compile it in game the water looks fine.

ljbade
07-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Maybe the texture list file for Hammer is broken?

Reactors
07-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe the texture list file for Hammer is broken?
Most likely.

Tarace2kev
08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
It does not need a fix nothing is wrong. When u compile it in game the water looks fine.

Really? I have the same problem. When i do a Run Map, Nothing appear in the game :/

Take a look on this : http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=82&u=10054410
And in the little planter, i have put Water_sewer....

Agnam
08-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I've got the same prob.
I can't see water, whatever I try to do >.<"

spartic
08-12-2010, 01:01 PM
seriously, if you folks dont know how to do it, then quit mapping.

Just search for source sdk water tutorial on youtube, there is enough tutorials on how to make water. Damn you folks need to look beyond your nose.

Agnam
08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I know how put water on maps!
I put a block, textured it in nodraw, textured its top face with the water texture, set a water_lod_control, pick its water face with the cubemap, nevertheless my water doesn't appear !!

If I post here, it's because there is a problem that i can't solve !

spartic
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
you forgot to tie the block in a func brush and name it structure seal

Its all on those tutorials, if you WATCHED THE DAMN totorials on youtube you would know that the block needs to be a func brush with the name structure seal

Here you go Agnam i made a fast water example vmf, load it up on hammer and you can see how i did the water

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AYXUDXSI

Agnam
08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
We have to do that also for a water block on AS ?

(the name of the func_brush is structure_seal, isn't it ?)

Agnam
08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
After having a test, it successfully works !
Another guy gave me the complete solution.
Thank you too :)

spartic
08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
yes, check the vmf if you want it to check

kameleon_green
08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
That seems odd that you would have to make the water a func_brush and also name it "structure_seal", but indeed it does work. Thanks man!

FuriaX
11-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Spartic, before saying anything, try to READ, the problem here is not how to compile a map in ASW BUT how to put WATER on ASW maps, and it's not the same as for hl2 because ASW doesn't not have skyboxes..

Agnam, if you have find the solution from another guy, please explain it here, i need it too.

Rehbock
11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
create a block with nodraw texture.
make the block a func_brush with the name "structure_seal"
change the texture of the via the tool to the water texture
(so just the one you see from above has a watertexture and the rest stays nodraw)

or just copy paste it from the sewer .vmf :rolleyes:

FuriaX
11-22-2010, 08:53 AM

i don't understand why we should do this, because "structure_seal" is the block that replace the skybox in ASW...

yomimitsune
11-23-2010, 12:36 AM

i don't understand why we should do this, because "structure_seal" is the block that replace the skybox in ASW...

I think the reason why is that the compiler checks for any entities that are func_brush, called "structure_seal", and does not convert these into func_detail brushes unlike with the rest of the blocks (because of the +alldetail command in the compiler).

The func_details, of course, do not intersect the visleafs of the level, and I think any surface/block that is rendered in a special way (like the sealing block and blocks with a water texture), must be tied to func_brush entities, all named "structure_seal", so they appear and compile correctly ingame.

But then again, I might be wrong, that's just what I've noted.

Rehbock
11-23-2010, 01:55 AM

dunno it may be of lack of skybox like some guesses. i tried to make raising water and had no real solution as the only way to create real looking water is this.

FuriaX
11-23-2010, 05:23 AM
ok, i tried it and it works, good job !

Now, the problem is about the reflections..
Even if i put an env_cubemap on every faces with water that i "pick", i got some bugs, the water doesn't look the same depending on the camera angle and/or distance.
I notice that the better render is when a light_environment is in the map.

Anyone know how to settle the reflectionsproperly ?

EDIT : I created a cube with 3DSkybox on it, selected a 6 faces sky like Sky_day02_07, but when i look the sky in the game with the firsperson view, the top of the sky is all black, and necessarily the reflect on the water is the same...

Rehbock
11-23-2010, 06:02 AM
ok, i tried it and it works, good job !

Now, the problem is about the reflections..
Even if i put an env_cubemap on every faces with water that i "pick", i got some bugs, the water doesn't look the same depending on the camera angle and/or distance.
I notice that the better render is when a light_environment is in the map.

Anyone know how to settle the reflectionsproperly ?

EDIT : I created a cube with 3DSkybox on it, selected a 6 faces sky like Sky_day02_07, but when i look the sky in the game with the firsperson view, the top of the sky is all black, and necessarily the reflect on the water is the same...

my refection works fine but i have a closed room (with a roof) and a shoulderview cam.
i dont remember seeing any reflections in the original game either.

!!But you can trick the engine by removing the structure_seal tag. that will make the water shine throught your floor and show the underneath. you can place the copy of your level (or just that instance) and just mirror it and ta-da you have a perfect reflect effect.

FuriaX
11-23-2010, 06:33 AM
hum.. good idea, but removing the structure_seal tag means that the engine doesn't compile the block as water, it just LOOKS like, no slower moves when you are inside, no "splash" when you shot on it...

Rehbock
11-23-2010, 06:40 AM
hum.. good idea, but removing the structure_seal tag means that the engine doesn't compile the block as water, it just LOOKS like, no slower moves when you are inside, no "splash" when you shot on it...

dunno about the slowdowns. splashed seemed to work. :confused:

FuriaX
11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
It's okay, because in ASW players aim only horizontally, so it's not possible t hit the ground/water :p

Rehbock
11-23-2010, 10:45 AM
o rly? :p
i bet i can
http://i.imgur.com/XauUs.jpg

FuriaX
11-23-2010, 11:25 AM
lol
I talk about playing with the "uncheated" parameters, thirdperson, camera angle of 60 etc etc :p

kommandojoe
11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Water does not work as an entity, and compiling maps in A-swarm changes everything to a detail brush. By making a sealing brush it is complied without entity properties. If i'm not mistaken this would be required for displacements as well, unless the compiler auto-skip's them for entities when "detailing" everything.