PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance multiplayer: *what is it like*?

_Duke_
07-30-2010, 05:56 AM
I've never played the series before, but I'm always interested in Steam multiplayer games my PC can actually run... (very old)

So I'd like to know more about Renaissance's multiplayer, as much as you guys can tell me. Is it fun? Does it function well? (Networking/stability) What exactly would objectives be? Everything really.

seraphyn
07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Haven't tried it yet. But I've had out of synch errors frequently with all the previous instalments of The Guild so I imagine this will be more of the same.

The couple of multiplayer sessions I have played were always a load of fun, we mostly went for Dynasty Mode or Extinction, basically pestering each other and trying to wipe each other out.

Askjosh
07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
hopefully the out of synch issue will be permanently fixed with the next patch that is to be released.

oh an one person suggested using Hamachi as it seems to be more stable when playing over a virtual lan created by Hamachi

I know that I am butchering the name but hamachi is close enough.

Alisz
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I've played with LogMeIn Hamachi and it's pretty stable. Especially since my ISP isn't the best... It's pretty fun. Essentially you're each playing your own game but in the same world.

corn snake
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
this game is not multiplayer and it never will be. no game in the guild series has ever had a working multiplayer option. if you try to play multiplayer it will inevitibly succumb to 'out of sync' errors.

if you want to know what multiplayer is like, go out and give a stranger $20 and then punch yourself in the nuts. it's the full multiplayer experience.

steam should really think about removing that 'multiplayer' tag from all of these games. no one should be buying any of them expecting to play multiplayer. if anyone has successfully played multiplayer they're either very lucky or think not being dropped from a session is a victory condition.

_Duke_
08-06-2010, 05:15 AM
this game is not multiplayer and it never will be. no game in the guild series has ever had a working multiplayer option. if you try to play multiplayer it will inevitibly succumb to 'out of sync' errors.

if you want to know what multiplayer is like, go out and give a stranger $20 and then punch yourself in the nuts. it's the full multiplayer experience.

steam should really think about removing that 'multiplayer' tag from all of these games. no one should be buying any of them expecting to play multiplayer. if anyone has successfully played multiplayer they're either very lucky or think not being dropped from a session is a victory condition.

Heh, ok, thanks. Disaster avoided :eek:

RF-Fab
08-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Heh, ok, thanks. Disaster avoided :eek:

In fact what corn snake said isn't true. You can play for some hours before any error occures and then you can resync the game in a few minutes so the game is pretty stable in MP although it has some issues.
We are trying to fix all causes for out of sync-errors and so far I think we did a good job. :)

But of course it's your choice if you take these issues in account.

Echoed_Requiem
08-09-2010, 04:47 AM
RF lies, Corn tells the truth. Multiplayer will succumb to so many Out of Sync errors that either you or one of the other players become so fed up they rage quit the game entirely. You can continue a save from an OOS if the host saves the game after the OOS without anyone in the game leaving, then rehosting said save game after sending the save file to every other player (who must place the save file in their save games directory and restart their game client).

Even if there were no such thing as the OOS error, it would still be unplayable. There are several game-ending bugs and glitches that JoWood has yet to do anything about. If you search, you can find fan-made bug fixes that will remove some of those game-ending errors, but not all of them.

Beyond that, the controls are fairly unresponsive, and practically everything you can do suffers from some sort of glitch or bug. Some of said bugs and glitches are incredibly easy fixes, but still aren't done by the devs.

If you're looking for a fun and engaging multiplayer experience, this isn't it. Come back in a couple years when the devs have finally caught up to the fans and perhaps it may be worth while, but only time will tell.

RF-Fab
08-09-2010, 05:10 AM
RF lies, Corn tells the truth. Multiplayer will succumb to so many Out of Sync errors that either you or one of the other players become so fed up they rage quit the game entirely.

There are two reasons for OoS reported. They occur very random and very seldom.
Not playable?

There are several game-ending bugs and glitches that JoWood has yet to do anything about.

You know who has to fix this errors, don't you?
Just a hint: The game was developed by Runeforge.

Beyond that, the controls are fairly unresponsive

Read the technical FAQ. This is no problem the game produces, it's your OS.

If you're looking for a fun and engaging multiplayer experience, this isn't it. Come back in a couple years when the devs have finally caught up to the fans and perhaps it may be worth while, but only time will tell.

Read the status-of-the-patch-thread.

Syldan
08-09-2010, 05:38 AM
hopefully the out of synch issue will be permanently fixed with the next patch that is to be released.

oh an one person suggested using Hamachi as it seems to be more stable when playing over a virtual lan created by Hamachi

I know that I am butchering the name but hamachi is close enough.

LogMeIn Hamachi is the name. Works perfectly fine. The only way I had to play with my disc over Internet.

....and I had 'OoS' only once in all my multiplayer games.

dinh100
08-09-2010, 08:51 AM
I've played about 40 hours online with 2 to 4 friends. I get about 1 Out of Sync Error every 2-3 hours of gameplay.

It's not much, but make sur you save every 15 mins (press Q for quicksave)

Trucegore
08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I haven't had any issues with "internet" multi-player, however I had many out of sync errors using LAN and Hamatichi.

The_Widow_Maker
08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I would have to agree and say the game is unplayable in multiplayer. I have started 2 multiplayer games and eventually these gave us the OOS problem and would not allow us to reconnect and carry on playing. The saved games seem to have got corrupt and took out all AI players and would not let us join.

Echoed_Requiem
08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
There are two reasons for OoS reported. They occur very random and very seldom.
Not playable?

OOS is very random but not very seldom, you may wish to lie to save face but those who actually play the game know the trouble and frequency of OOS. In a multiplayer game you tend to experience this error once every hour and a half or so. Don't get me wrong, there was two games we played for 10 hours or so without a single OOS, but then it happened and ruined the game for us as we didn't know about the save game and sending files.

For the record, we've played well over 20 games, and only had two in which the OOS didn't occur often.

You know who has to fix this errors, don't you?
Just a hint: The game was developed by Runeforge.

Though Jowood may not be the ones to fix these errors, and I apologize for insinuating that they were due to lack of knowledge, JoWood is still responsible for the state of the game, and it was a supreme lack in judgment to allow such a horribly glitchy game to be released.

Read the technical FAQ. This is no problem the game produces, it's your OS.

No, it is not my OS, it is the game. it's the same on all 5 of the computers within my home. The game is glitchy and unresponsive, you need to issue the same order roughly 20 times before your character will obey them half the time. Not only that, characters get stuck obeying orders, for an entire game my friends rogue would "waylay" every 5 seconds, trying to return to the spot of the initial order even though it was canceled long ago.

Read the status-of-the-patch-thread.

I have read the thread, and it has yet to state that the OOS errors have all been fixed, or that the game has been made more responsive etc. You could fill the forum with bug fixes and it still wouldn't be enough to make this game as playable as it should have been on release. I don't expect to get my moneys worth until at least three major patches into the future.

As a note to anyone looking to buy this game, save your money for now and wait until every third thread in the forum isn't about a game-breaking bug or terrible error.

RF-Fab
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
For the record, we've played well over 20 games, and only had two in which the OOS didn't occur often.

So tell me, how can you play over 20 games if the game is unplayable? :p
I think we just have a different meaning of the word "playable" ;)

I have read the thread, and it has yet to state that the OOS errors have all been fixed, or that the game has been made more responsive etc.

The patch isn't finished yet, the list is just a status report. It's, however, impossible to fix all OOS errors, so there will never be a bugfix report like "all OOS errors fixed", maybe "all known OOS causes fixed" ;)
As I said, they are two, maybe three of them (I have to find out yet how two of them are related) and we will fix them.

Echoed_Requiem
08-10-2010, 03:49 AM
So tell me, how can you play over 20 games if the game is unplayable? :p
I think we just have a different meaning of the word "playable" ;)

perhaps you misunderstand what I mean by saying "we've played over 20 games" I mean, we started a game, made characters, loaded it up, and got OOS. Saved, sent, tried to play through all of the bugs and pretend they weren't there (effectively cutting off half the game for us) simply managed our own respective businesses for an hour or so, got OOS, saved, reloaded, got OOS, saved, reloaded, played another couple hours then got OOS. Didn't bother to save at that point and just quit.

That's pretty much how it was with every game we "attempted" to play.

We tried after installing fan-made fixes, that allowed us to play some of the previously mentioned half that we had to avoid. However, history repeated itself. Even when we finally did have a game that didn't OOS every 5 minutes to two hours, we couldn't continue our dynasty after our main characters died, as children are game-breakingly bugged.

The patch isn't finished yet, the list is just a status report. It's, however, impossible to fix all OOS errors, so there will never be a bugfix report like "all OOS errors fixed", maybe "all known OOS causes fixed" ;)
As I said, they are two, maybe three of them (I have to find out yet how two of them are related) and we will fix them.

I like your use of the word "impossible" as an excuse. You can fix OOS, and I suspect you will eventually, when you find out how. It's just going to take awhile to get there.

I know it's your job to support the game, but the truth of the matter is the game is not in the condition that you claim it to be. It is not even in a condition fit for release.

RF-Fab
08-10-2010, 07:01 AM
I like your use of the word "impossible" as an excuse. You can fix OOS, and I suspect you will eventually, when you find out how. It's just going to take awhile to get there.

I know exactly how to find OOS causes and how to fix them. It's time consuming and I need the report files from the OOS, but then I can fix it.
But I can't fix the OOS itself. If an airplane crashed onto one of the clients the game would eventually go OOS. How should I fix that?
It's just an error message, you can't fix an error message...

Trucegore
08-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Funny, my 8 hours, 3 player game had no out of sync errors yesterday, nor the day before, I don't expect any tonight eather.

However, again we are using internet, not LAN, and not using a VPN to host said LAN.

Lammiwinks
08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
/popcorn

PKA
08-15-2010, 09:07 AM

I'm not educated but I know what programming means, You can't find a program/game which is 100% bug free, especialy the OoS errors because it's communication between 2 machines, if just a few packages are lost then the game is OoS.
And the OoS's could be related to things outside the game, (Mostly the game) but it could be the firewall blocking/router etc.

But it's true that it's not playable over the internet, I nearly used more time on sending and keep my friends up-to-date with savegames, but the game is complex you should watch you usage of ram by playing the game, and then try to play some Css etc. There IS a differense.

But I think you should wait for the patch, have you seen how much that have been fixed?

RF, I'm looking forward to a great game experience :)

Btw I have a few ideas for the next patch (after the schechuled one)
Why not making an option for the players to choose on how often the game saves?
Maybe making a dedicated server option, which saves the game over time, without interupting the game (IF POSSIBLE)

And making the option for the dedicated server to sync the player's savegame somehow :)

Euly
08-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I know exactly how to find OOS causes and how to fix them. It's time consuming and I need the report files from the OOS, but then I can fix it.

That's reasonable, is there a potential implementation to re-sync, even at the loss of client data or a few minutes of waiting?
The vibe I'm perceiving from RF through all the posts I've read is that they are aiming for perfection, or damn near fixing the entire game, but the biggest nuisance is the sudden halt in playability. Is there no alternative you guys can create for the player to continue? You guys are talented, there must be something you can do.

One thing that needs to be said to you (RF-Fab) and the rest of RuneForge is thank you. Even with the state of the game and the bugs, you guys are a bit unappreciated and you need some applause for your perseverance in developing an already broken game that you voluntarily inherited. Considering other developers couldn't care less about following-up with repairs to their products, you guys deserve some props.

But I can't fix the OOS itself. If an airplane crashed onto one of the clients the game would eventually go OOS. How should I fix that?
It's just an error message, you can't fix an error message...

Make a public announcement: "We're sorry for the massive disruption it's caused their lives. There's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."

RF-Fab
08-16-2010, 01:08 AM
That's reasonable, is there a potential implementation to re-sync, even at the loss of client data or a few minutes of waiting?

I've thought about a possible implementation of a resync method and I think it can be done. Currently bugfixing has highest priority, but I will try to implement a resync feature into the announced content patch. I can't promise anything, though.

One thing that needs to be said to you (RF-Fab) and the rest of RuneForge is thank you. Even with the state of the game and the bugs, you guys are a bit unappreciated and you need some applause for your perseverance in developing an already broken game that you voluntarily inherited. Considering other developers couldn't care less about following-up with repairs to their products, you guys deserve some props.

Thanks for your words. We started this project for ourselves as well as for the fans of The Guild 2 and gaining money was not the highest goal of this project (but if we did it for free, we couldn't give that much support now - at least I couldn't, unfortunately life's not for free :/). So fixing this game is a concern beyond the typical sense of duty a software developer studio may (or may not) have after releasing their product.

Shivs
08-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm very new to the the whole Guild experience but found myself hooked fairly fast. That said I'm with Euly, you all seem to have inherited something of a nightmare yet you seem very active and respond timely to many of the posts, complaints, etc. on these forums, and seem to care about this product and fixing it on top of that. And for that I think the majority of this community, myself included is very thankfull. Now...you must works fasters and harders cuz I is needs my superawesomemagicpatchfixall nows. ;)

Shivs
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Also I'm curious as to how people approach multiplayer games in general. Is it just try to kill the other guys really fast? Or are games able to develop? Are alliances formed? How long do they last? And after the patch is done is there a good place, better than here to find people to play with?

noob cannon lol
08-18-2010, 03:52 PM

This is complete BS. I've played multiplayer with at least four people for hours through Hamachi, even to the extent of continuing saved games.

X-LED
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
This is complete BS. I've played multiplayer with at least four people for hours through Hamachi, even to the extent of continuing saved games.

lol I haven't been able to get further then 10min's in gameplay for 2 hours now.

GO SAVED GAMES!!!