PDA

View Full Version : Disciples 2:Gallean's Return problem starting.

ike2000
08-01-2010, 05:37 AM
O.k. so i have windows 7 64 bit professional and i downloaded this game as well as the Rise of the elves with jaged alliance 2 + expansion on a pack deal in anticipation for playing disciples 3. Downloaded fine, went to start it and at first got 'Disciples 2 has failed to initiate' message. So i checked the forums, i turned off steam in the game and tried again. Still it failed to start with the same message. So i deleted it and started again. Now i get a different message, this one says:

Discipl2.exe - System Error

The Program can't start because Steam.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.

Thing is i really do not want to have to reinstall steam as this is the only game that gets that message.

Can anyone help with this?

on a side note, Jagged alliance and expansion seem to work fine as does Rise of the Elves.

I am running Windows 7 pro 64bit, direct x 11, 3.02 GHz Dual Core, 4 Gig RAM and an ATI Radeon 5870

StarkeRealm
08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm having an identical problem, except it occurs with both games. Launching directly from the steam interface provokes the black screen. Launching from the .exe results in the Steam.dll issue.

EDIT: Sorry, both Disciple II games.

StarkeRealm
08-09-2010, 02:35 AM
I have a possible fix. At least for the Steam.dll missing. Try copying it to the Disciples II directory.

Apparently Disciples II thinks it will be installed in the root steam folder.

it should be someplace like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\starkerealm\disciples ii galleans return
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\starkerealm\disciples ii rise of the elves

the file you need to copy is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.dll
Do not simply move it, copy it, otherwise it will probably do nasty things to your steam install.

EDIT: It appears you do need to launch the game via the .exe dirrectly. Launching through the Steam browser results in the same lockups and errors.

(Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, I was simply working in the directories rather than the browser, and didn't think to verify that.)

ike2000
08-09-2010, 04:21 AM
o.k. i did that. I am back to the 'Error: Can't initialize Disciples 2' Message.

Vinnie555
08-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Right so for people having these issues, you need to do three things in total.

1) Find the relevant .exe, it's located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\%Your_user_Name%\disciples ii galleans return" goto it's properties and set it to compatability mode for "Windows XP SP2"

2) Hook up the steam.dll, the best way to do this, as it will keep the file up to date, and also mean you never have to do it for any other game ever is to add "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" to your system path. Goto System Properties->Advanced and click on environmental variables, find the "Path" variable, click edit, and add ";%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Steam" to the end.

*Note* this is for 64bit systems, if you're 32bit use ";%PROGRAMFILES%\Steam" instead.

3) Right click on the game in the steam library got properties, and uncheck the "enable steam comunity in game" option

ike2000
08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
what if steam is not housed in program files? Also where do i alter the properties? Do i alter them from the steam settings menu or do i physically go into the directory and alter the properties of the steam application icon? those are the only points that confuse me as some people use setting when they mean properties and vice versa.

thanks

Vinnie555
08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
If steam isn't in program files you'll want to add the steam directory to your path. As for the properties thing (I'm assuming this is for part 3) you don't want settings, unless you want to completely deactivate the steam overlay for all games, which could be kinda annoying if you've got stuff that needs cd-keys, or just like having access to your friends list. Each game has it's own properties if you right-click on it in the list in the games library.

ike2000
08-14-2010, 08:42 AM
o.k. i may be having a bit of a dumbass moment but i don't understand number 2 at all. How do i fet to sustem properties>advanced? is that from the control panel or from steam? i have speant the past few days trying to work this out and looking around my computer to no avail.

Vinnie555
08-15-2010, 02:06 PM
system properties isn't a steam thing, it's windows, easiest way to get to it is to right click on "My Computer" and got the properties there, or as you're windows 7 just use the search the find "Edit the System Environment Variables"

correkpalleon
08-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I have Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and I fixed the black screen issue when launching from Steam by disabling UAC. Not a great fix I agree, but it seemed to work.

Also, I played with the settings in the configuration editor screen until I found one that works. Try toggling compatibility mode, or Direct3D mode on or off and see what happens.

I'll double-check my settings this afternoon and report back.

correkpalleon
08-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Sorry for the delay...

When I launch the Configuration Editor from Steam library, I have the following settings:

--- Display Settings ---
Screen Resolution: 1024x768
Refresh Rate: Default
Display game in a window: -checked-
Use Direct3D: -checked-
Stretch to full screen: -unchecked-
Compatibility mode: -unchecked-

--- Audio Settings ---
Custom MP3 soundtrack: blank
Pause audio environment...: -unchecked-
Play sounds: -checked-
Play music: -checked-
Advanced settings (all default)

--- Preferences ---
Delay before you can close an event...: 500
Accumulate AI actions...: -unchecked-
Play intro...: -unchecked-
Use 'Persistent encyclopedia' mode: -unchecked-
Display turn count...: -checked-
Snap mouse cursor: -checked-

Plus, I have UAC turned off; it seemed to help.

vesper_dbs
10-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Plus, I have UAC turned off; it seemed to help.

Confirmed - turning UAC off in Windows seems to make the game run.

Thank you for your help, correkpalleon!

BoBo2
10-19-2010, 09:34 PM
The game should not have been sold in this state.

PetusGeekus
10-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Right so for people having these issues, you need to do three things in total.

1) Find the relevant .exe, it's located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\%Your_user_Name%\disciples ii galleans return" goto it's properties and set it to compatability mode for "Windows XP SP2"

2) Hook up the steam.dll, the best way to do this, as it will keep the file up to date, and also mean you never have to do it for any other game ever is to add "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" to your system path. Goto System Properties->Advanced and click on environmental variables, find the "Path" variable, click edit, and add ";%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Steam" to the end.

*Note* this is for 64bit systems, if you're 32bit use ";%PROGRAMFILES%\Steam" instead.

3) Right click on the game in the steam library got properties, and uncheck the "enable steam comunity in game" option

This worked perfectly.

+1

I already had UAC off so I knew there was more to it ;)

DeadlyVortex
10-20-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm having the same freaking annoying problem. Steam needs to have it's crap together before putting a game on sale when the stupid thing wont work out of the box.
-3 for Steam.

fortunately, they currently have a +24 score, so -1 doesn't hurt it too badly. But still. blah.

Webzir
10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I do everything what you told, and game still don't running with "Can't initialize Disciples II" error :/ For what I bought this? For a patch we do not have to count :/

DeadlyVortex
10-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Following the three steps outlined earlier fixed the problem for me thankfully.
i recommend doing it :D

Sius_San
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Rightyo - So I had a different problem, through I'd share what it was and the solution. I like others in this have picked up Disciples II and decided to give it a shot but run into a problem. I use Windows 7 64 bit like the others and have followed pervious methods to solve my issue (which didn't help) - but in case what I mention doesn't work for you, check the prior posts and do the same.

So my problem was that the game would load, the screen would black out for a second (changing resolution type of black out) hear the intro for a second and it then loads back into desktop. Game would continue running but wouldn't stay up. When clicked again it would repeat and fail. Loading the game would PERIODICALLY work, but would be a trail getting it to active once more when it was closed or gone to desktop.

The solution I found was finding the main program launching EXE file in your steam apps folder (example - c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\~USER NAME HERE~\disciples ii galleans return\Discipl2.exe, right clicking, properties, compatibility and then clicking 'disable visual themes' and 'disable desktop composition'. As soon as that was done it worked fine. Hope it's of some use!

Ranok
10-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I did this all and I launch directly from the directory with the steam.dll no luck.
I have a windows xp sp3 machine that is compatible to play and I get the can't initialize disciples 2 error

Sius_San
10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Got another problem come across (I'm lucky like that) and solved - it doesn't care much for multi displays too. So if you have it hooked upto another display that maybe the problem.

If thats the case, in win 7 (64x my version), Screen Resolution, pick the 2nd monitor / TV / display and turn it off from the drop down box just leaving your main PC monitor on while playing. Good luck!

Gillen
10-22-2010, 01:48 AM
I did this all and I launch directly from the directory with the steam.dll no luck.
I have a windows xp sp3 machine that is compatible to play and I get the can't initialize disciples 2 error

I got the initialize problem when I tried to run the game in windowed mode. Not sure if it's the same for you but try and set it to fullscreen in the Configuration Editor (untick Display game in window), if you then get a black screen just disable steam overlay.

DarkChaplain
10-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Well, exact same settings for GR and RotE.
Elves work, the other one doesn't.

Steam Community disabled, UAC disabled, Win7 32bit, did everything.
Gallean only works on fullscreen for me *sigh*

Is there anything missing or can I simply start the Elves and play the other campaigns just like with most games?

MSaint
10-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I tried every advice from this thread and both games still don't work (Win7 64-bit). What to do next? Try to run it by DOSbox? I'm out of ideas.

Mathrakk
10-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I have another problem. Whenever I try to start either Galleans return or Rise of the Elves, nothing happens. The mouse loading icon appears for a few seconds and then nothing. Not even a black screen.

I've disabled the steam overlay, disabled UAC and put a steam.dll in each games folder.

Windows 7 64 bit

in.meinem.turm.
10-23-2010, 02:11 PM
The game should not have been sold in this state.

No. It's Windows 7 that should not have been released in this state.

DarkChaplain
10-26-2010, 02:53 PM
No. It's Windows 7 that should not have been released in this state.

Well, mind you, but most problems come from 64bit-OS.
The games weren't programmed for the future at all.

Still, they don't even work on 32bit-systems correctly, or better:
Gallean's Return does not, while those issues seem to be mostly fixed on Elves.

canadademon
10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm running on a Lenovo T61p (college imaged laptop) with Windows 7 32-bit. I've been able to get both games to run by just disabling the in-game Steam menu, and adjusting the video settings, outside of the game.

However, I've discovered that Gallean's Return will only run in full screen, whereas RotE will only run in windowed mode.

Fairly strange but, like any game, a little bit of setup is to be expected.

For you guys on 64-bit systems, have you tried virtual environments? Get a 32-bit install from... somewhere... and try VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) (completely free) or VMWare. The game might lag, but it could confirm that 64-bit OSes have issues with these games.

in.meinem.turm.
10-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, mind you, but most problems come from 64bit-OS.
The games weren't programmed for the future at all.

No game ever was.
Nobody thought about 64-bit crap when they made the first Kings Quest game or evev whn they made Disciples 2.

MSaint
10-28-2010, 05:31 AM
I have found solution for my problem, posting it here, maybe it will help someone. I set resolution to 800x600 and refresh rate to 75 Hz. Game won't start on any other setting, but I'm happy it works.

Xardan
11-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Had same issues recently. I copied the Steam.dll to both games and now they are working. Thanks for help.

jbarnes70x7
11-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Beating your head against the wall on this one, on my machine it was because of a wide screen incompatability, it couldn't even run in windowed mode, but I did all those things and no luck until I set my desktop to a non-wide screen setting(for some reason I have 1400x900 but no 1280x1024... so I'm stuck with 1024x768). Good luck guys!!

il consigliere
01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
After receiving the common 'black screen' and steam .dll problem like everyone else has been seeing, this finally worked for both games.
-----------------
Disabling Windows User Account Control (UAC) [requires reboot]
Then launch the configuration editor via Steam and try these specs:
SR: 1280x1024 RR: Default
Display game in a window: unchecked
Use Direct 3D: checked
Stretch to full-screen: checked
Compatibility mode: unchecked
Custom MP3...: [blank]
Pause audio environment....: unchecked
Play Sounds: checked
Play Music: checked
Advanced sound settings: Leave all at default
Delay before you can close...: 500 milliseconds
Accumulate AI actions...: unchecked
Play intro: unchecked
Use 'Persistent encyclopedia' mode: unchecked
Display turn count in paths: checked
Snap mouse cursor: checked

Hope this helps, guys. Good luck.

visar123
02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I have a possible fix. At least for the Steam.dll missing. Try copying it to the Disciples II directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\starkerealm\disciples ii rise of the elves

Do not simply move it, copy it, otherwise it will probably do nasty things to your steam install.

EDIT: It appears you do need to launch the game via the .exe dirrectly. Launching through the Steam browser results in the same lockups and errors.

(Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, I was simply working in the directories rather than the browser, and didn't think to verify that.)

i just got the game earlier played 6 hrs, then got the black screen through steam lib. and steam.dll prob through .exe file. this has fixed it though, hopefully it stays fixed, many thanks!

ignitar
07-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by StarkeRealm

Did this + set discipl2.exe to windows XP SP2 compatibility. Also set my color to 16bit and refresh to 60hz. Working fine. Launched from the steam GUI.