PDA

View Full Version : Is anything random aside from combat damage?

kalirion
08-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Just wondering if the enemy units or loot are randomized at all. Otherwise the only replay value is trying different army/hero combinations and the harder difficulty level(s).

Stealth107
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I've read that the enemies and loot are completely randomised from game to game, and an easy start one time could be painfully difficult the next.

Oh, and I don't own the game, just the demo, but I have read a bunch of reviews :P

kalirion
08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Cool, thanks :)

HeavyFlatulence
08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Yes, almost everything is randomized. Spells and loot sold at stores, recruitable units, enemies, and all that. And even small randomizations make BIG differences in your game.

For example, as a mage having the Fireball spell can make a huge difference (fireball is very powerful early on). If your randomized game doesn't have Fireball early on, you'll find your strategies and overall difficulty level a lot different. Also, finding a Resurrect spell (and similar spells, like Sacrifice) early on can be a big game changer.

Also, sometimes you'll really luck out and get a huge supply of a great unit available early on to recruit. Or you may have a very very small supply of a great unit. Or you may not have that great unit at all. Or you may have a great unit that you doesn't fit with your strategy style but is so great you learn to work it into your style. Each scenario will have you playing the game differently.

There are such a wealth of units, though (with each one having a big effect on your strategies) that simply changing armies can make replays quite satisfying and interesting.

kalirion
08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Heh, ok. I'm probably about 15 hours into my first playthough on normal (taking my time, doing all side quests I can manage) and I still have those 3 Knights I got from the merc trading post in the Swamp (though on reserve since recently). Haven't been able to supplement their numbers, but they were able to keep my losses down with their tanking :)

Zechnophobe
08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, and those 3 knights may not appear there again in the next game. This is even more prominent in Armored Princess where the number of shops/items/troops you can find are bigger.

lyravega
08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, and those 3 knights may not appear there again in the next game. This is even more prominent in Armored Princess where the number of shops/items/troops you can find are bigger.

it gets even bigger with the bonus item-pack :)