PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Quake III Arena Menu Crash

Fox-Shot
08-05-2010, 04:06 PM
You'll just need to follow some simple instructions.

1.Make sure you have Quake III Arena installed on Steam.

2.Download the latest point release here: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/win32/q3pointrelease_132.exe

3.Run the installer, it will ask for a directory, DO NOT INSTALL INTO THE ACTUAL QUAKE STEAM FOLDER, Install it into an empty directory of your choice, you just need a fraction of the update to get it working.

4.Go to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/quake 3 arena

5.Copy the .exe from the folder you installed the update into and paste it into the steam folder, it will ask to replace quake3.exe, do it, and back up the old quake3.exe if you wish, though a revalidation should undo the changes.

6.Start the game up to see if it worked.

Done.

Hope this helps out everyone, the Steam Interface has nothing to do with the glitch it's Steam's quake3.exe not working right. You should be set and not have problems with it anymore, and Steam will still launch it as an actual Steam game.

FulValBot (ITA)
08-08-2010, 09:16 AM
sry but my quake 3 arena works fine... some crashes/corrupted textures are caused by catalyst 10.5/10.6 (and 10.7 on all radeon 5830...)

so i don't need that ... fix.

Fox-Shot
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
sry but my quake 3 arena works fine... some crashes/corrupted textures are caused by catalyst 10.5/10.6 (and 10.7 on all radeon 5830...)

so i don't need that ... fix.It doesn't happen for everyone, just some.

I repeat because of what you said, the glitch has absolutely NOTHING to do with Steam In-Game, ATI, nVidea, or Intel graphics controller's or drivers, it's just random whether or not your computer likes the Steam-provided .exe file.

DrFish
01-24-2011, 01:13 AM
The point release removed the menu graphics corruption, but I still have the problem that my monitor goes blank (loses signal) and won't come back, until I have to reset.
This was the case with the original steam version, too.

I have only the option to run it at 1600x1200, since it is the closest one to 1920x1200.

How do I achieve my native resolution? Any wide-screen users out there?

THE Nakedgun
01-24-2011, 06:32 AM
If you use Catalyst dissable the AI in control center.

DrFish
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the solution.

Fox-Shot
01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
The point release removed the menu graphics corruption, but I still have the problem that my monitor goes blank (loses signal) and won't come back, until I have to reset.
This was the case with the original steam version, too.

I have only the option to run it at 1600x1200, since it is the closest one to 1920x1200.

How do I achieve my native resolution? Any wide-screen users out there?Though your problem is already fixed, there are commands for customizing the resolution beyond defaults (in game console)

http://quake.freakygaming.com/pc/action/quake_3/tutorials/running_quake_3_in_widescreen.html

Hope that helps if you wish to change your resolution anyways.

DrFish
01-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Though your problem is already fixed, there are commands for customizing the resolution beyond defaults (in game console)

http://quake.freakygaming.com/pc/action/quake_3/tutorials/running_quake_3_in_widescreen.html

Hope that helps if you wish to change your resolution anyways.

Thank you, I already solved the wide screen problem, too.

the1poobah
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
can anyone help? I still have the menu crash, and teh link provided at the top doesn't work for me. if I try and find the point release without it, I get the id website with a link to download the latest point release...when I click on it all it bring up is my FTP with nothing available to download. if I right click click on the link it brings up the same problem as before "prblem loading web page...web page has timed out". My connection is fine and I normally dont have issues like this. so I guess my question is...is there another work around to get this game working?

Specs

HD 5770 1 gb (using Nov's 10.11 drivers, the 10.12 drives made my GTA IV crash...lol)
intel quad core @ 2.66
Vista 64 bit (I know, Vista blows)

sorry for being so long winded, and thanks for any help! :)

edit: I'd try the console widescreen fix but my game glitches so bad that bringing up the console doesn't help...tnx!

DrFish
01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Try this:

http://www.filefront.com/10478180/quake3-1.32c-win.zip

THE Nakedgun
01-29-2011, 04:27 PM
can anyone help? I still have the menu crash, and teh link provided at the top doesn't work for me. if I try and find the point release without it, I get the id website with a link to download the latest point release...when I click on it all it bring up is my FTP with nothing available to download. if I right click click on the link it brings up the same problem as before "prblem loading web page...web page has timed out". My connection is fine and I normally dont have issues like this. so I guess my question is...is there another work around to get this game working?

Specs

HD 5770 1 gb (using Nov's 10.11 drivers, the 10.12 drives made my GTA IV crash...lol)
intel quad core @ 2.66
Vista 64 bit (I know, Vista blows)

sorry for being so long winded, and thanks for any help! :)

edit: I'd try the console widescreen fix but my game glitches so bad that bringing up the console doesn't help...tnx!

Dissable Catalyst AI then your gaem wont glitch, I assume it only glitches when the steam overlay activates?

JYou enter the commands into the config file found in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\quake 3 arena\baseq3

What resolution do you want?