PDA

View Full Version : Male/Female

Barty
08-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm missing male/female box in Steam and also in game (L4D). I know that this is private information, but it's not so private and in could be optional. And it's a bit embarassing when you write "good job, man!" to woman, isn't it?

Vonje
08-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Not like everyone is going to check.

Amander
08-06-2010, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't check either. A person is a person, screw the gender.

Barty
08-06-2010, 01:37 AM
I don't agree with you, but if majority thinks this...

>X2<
08-06-2010, 02:09 AM
a) Male

b) Female

c) Undecided

d) Niether

e) Both

f) Undisclosed

Marshazzle
08-06-2010, 04:43 AM
lol, that's a bit complicated. I'd just put whether your M or F.

Syldan
08-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Neither is just good, girls/women won't care about 'Good job, man!'. Steam isn't a dating site, and I guess girls/women might not want goons/pricks (I'm a little sexist there :P) to start treating her differently than a gamer. Also you won't be able to tell while in-game, so you'll still say 'Good job, man!'

ester25
08-06-2010, 05:15 AM
There are no women on the internet. Why have a gender display option?

On a serious note, i agree with Syldan, Steam isn't a dating site. All it will yield is discrimination or guys pretending to be girls. Valve is trying to unify gamers, not separate.

leveller
08-06-2010, 08:17 AM
We're all soldiers at the end of the day, male/female doesn't matter ... to me.

Swixel
08-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Let us discuss the semantic implications of gender bias ... no, seriously ...

Some women get offended when you call them 'man', or if their job calls them a 'man'; e.g. we used to call them 'policemen' even though they were women. 'Actresses' now has a bad name in some cultures, or if not in the culture, in many social settings -- they're now 'actors'.

If you want to make a game PC, then you should just have the binds call out what the character they play is (i.e. if you're Zoe in L4D, it should have the gender appropriate line for talking to a girl, even if it's a male playing Zoe).

Now, if you want female models in games (e.g. UT series), and then want to allow people to pick 'female model', and there are no hitbox implications which would cause other plays to favour the female over the male character due to a smaller target area (i.e. to avoid the issue UT has), then the same system should be used to pick if the target model is male or female and use the appropriate line. It should have nothing to do with Steam profile settings; if anything it should be an in-game thing and based on the model. Otherwise you're calling a man a woman based on a Steam profile setting (now this may amuse some people, but it's against what the OP wants 'in-game'). So, no, against the profile setting, for the in-game stuff if there's a way around the issue. That said, I'm fairly sure Zoe already gets male-to-female lines ... so there's no issue.

That said, if there's a serious push to add it to the profile, add it as an optional field in the profile which is never displayed anywhere other than the statistics. Then add an auxiliary 'in-game I prefer to be: {Male, Female, Eunuch}' which could be displayed on the profile.

Syldan
08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
How about instead of saying 'Good job, man' just say 'Good job' so Valve get back to Episode 3?

They may be offended when face-to-face, I often get called madam or miss on the street (used to have long hair and shave... not I have short hair and a beard... and still get called madam. Women, word of advice, shave!), but i don't think they would take it that personal in an anonymous world, worst case they'll tell you and that's the end of that.

Seth.Sekhmet
08-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Not a bad idea, but you can't stop a user from lying.

Nothing can stop me to check any of the boxes. Like nothing can stop me from changing my nick to a girl's name.

So far, the best way to find out if a person is boy/girl is via audio chat. And not even that is 100%, due to voice not being high quality.

Scared
08-08-2010, 07:08 AM
I would just say "Good job mate!" :D

Sorrento
08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I would just say "Good job mate!" :D

LOL, good one

Barty
08-09-2010, 06:14 AM
That was only an example, but when i say something, i automatically say it to HIM. I agree with you, but one small box with boy/girl...