PDA

View Full Version : Routes that could be made for Railworks

grandcentral
08-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Hi

Thought I would start a thread asking what routes people think could be made for Railworks. I think that there should be a few more subway routes e.g. the London Underground or the New York subway. It would also be nice to see as a sort of add on to the Newcastle to York route, a York to London route.

Any more suggestions?
Grandcentral

roballen55
08-08-2010, 07:12 AM
More routes would be nice,Lots of trains running on the same lines. I know there are some in the pipeline,but not sure when they will appear.West coast mainline,eg Birmingham-Manchester-Glasgow or more in the south would be nice.

arizonachris
08-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Oh, heck, there are a dozen North American routes I would love to see. The Amtrack from LA to San Diego. The "Coastliner" The Santa Fe Chief from LA to Phoenix (and points east) And maybe a Metro Link line or two.

OK, guys, (yes, you, Rich) get busy! :)

OTTODAD
08-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Oh, heck, there are a dozen North American routes I would love to see. The Amtrak from LA to San Diego. The "Coastliner" The Santa Fe Chief from LA to Phoenix (and points east) And maybe a Metro Link line or two.

We have a start with US add-routes like the CSX-Mainline and the extended to Mojave and Barstow B-SB route, it and pretend Metro trains being featured in this thread:
http://forums.trainsim.com/vbts/showpost.php?p=1614808&postcount=17

What is lacking is appropriate rolling stock.

O t t o

William_Putnam
08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Routes I would love to see:

Marias Pass (Been done before but a great route.)

Sherman Hill in Wyoming (where the Big Boy's used to roam.)

Techachapi Pass with the famous Techachapi Loop. (Could be a logical extension of the existing Cajon Pass route.)

Donner Pass (where the cab forwards used to roam.)

Kicking Horse Pass in Canada. Besides those amazing spiral tunnels, the natural scenery must be spectacular.

Although most of the routes run/ran passenger service, they were most certainly a challenge for big...long...freight consists with multiple locomotives., both steam and diesel.

I love running big...long...freight consists. :)

William_Putnam
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
We have a start with US add-routes like the CSX-Mainline and the extended to Mojave and Barstow B-SB route, it and pretend Metro trains being featured in this thread:
http://forums.trainsim.com/vbts/showpost.php?p=1614808&postcount=17

What is lacking is appropriate rolling stock.

O t t o

I like your idea of an extension to Cajon B-SB, but I would only wish it would continue on to Bakersfield to include Tachachapi Loop. :)

I also like to see that "dead" Ex SP/UP line be made useful as you show, but if you continue that line to Palmdale, which then connects to the now UP line to Mojave as well.

Dream all I might, but such extensions may not fit on your hard-drive, let alone the "hours" it may take to load-up! :)

grandcentral
08-09-2010, 02:08 AM
I would also like some more locallised light rail routes such as the Tyne and Wear Metro or the DLR (Docklands Light Railway)

Clemmo47
08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I just checked UKTS for metro type routes and WCML. London District Line and WCML are there plus other metro type lines and all the routes to keep you occupied for years.Needs a small subscription for fast downloads and some routes are in the Railsimulator section but work on Railworks.Player made routes are usually superior to the default ones as more assets can be used.
Railworks America and other sites also have many interesting routes. I have about 50 now and will probably never play half the scenarios.You need to read the readme ofc to see which payware /freeware is needed to play the routes and scenarios.This hobby can get expensive as I've discovered.
A copy of Rw Tools is essential and learning to mend broken consists which seems a problem due to RW updates
http://www.rstools.info/

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=304&t=105528&p=1282796&hilit=south+devon+banks#p1282796

thisurlnotfound
08-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Personally, I am partial to high speed corridors. My votes in no real order:

1.) Paddington -> Bristol Temple Meads. Use existing line (Oxford -> Paddington) and extend it, but this time include airport junction.
2.) NorthEast Corridor: Boston -> NYC side. I know MSTS did NEC from WashDC to Philly, but the really nice fast sections are north of NYC and the complex traffic is in CT.
3.) Eurostar: London -> Paris. Yes, I know that would be an insane route to build. But if it was ever built, holy hell, it would be awesome.
4.) TGV: Paris -> Nice. Another insane route, but everyone loves TGV (imho).

I know these routes are not realistic expectations (many are hundreds of miles long), but I would ::love:: to see them and I would def pay for them.

Toldrabald
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
There is a TGV route planned: Marseille - Lyon (http://lgv-med-rail-sim.e-monsite.com/rubrique,lgv-mediteranee,1187479.html). And in the french forum (http://www.railsim-fr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1834) you see pics of a TGV train in building process. They also released a route, which seems to need tons of 3rd party assets from nearly all RW sites. (you find it under: télécharger - lignes)

My dream route for RW would be a line from Chile to Brasil or Argentina, I saw a tv documentary about it and it had some really spectacular landscape, high bridges and steep climbs over the Andes. They had a short train running as the driver said with about 15-20 big freight containers and one big diesel loco, looked american.
But with it's extreme terrain it would be very hard to build in RW.

thisurlnotfound I'm with your Number 3, London - Paris would be really cool. But please with a shortened tunnel compared to the real one. Driving over 1 hour just between concrete walls is sort of boring I think.

arizonachris
08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Techachapi Pass[/U] with the famous Techachapi Loop. (Could be a logical extension of the existing Cajon Pass route.)

Although most of the routes run/ran passenger service, they were most certainly a challenge for big...long...freight consists with multiple locomotives., both steam and diesel.

I love running big...long...freight consists. :)

Yes, this would be excellent. The Tehachapi Loop. I know freight and passenger runs on it. Would really be a nice addition. :)

William_Putnam
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes, this would be excellent. The Tehachapi Loop. I know freight and passenger runs on it. Would really be a nice addition. :)

Yes, but I think all routes should have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFE8nmKpmXY

...but I cannot imagine how much C++ programing it would take to do it in Railworks! :p

Marklovestrains
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
I am also a big fan of Railworks. I know that the Oxford to Paddington is the original, but I would love to see that there is a Didcot to Bristol added to the existing route. Bristol to Exeter is due out sometime and maybe this could be added to the route. Also I would love to see the main line connected from London Paddington (Oxford -Paddington) right down to Penzance!!!!
It would be very beneficial to have the whole route from London Paddington to Penzance with up coming add ons.
Also, I used to have Train Simulator (still have it, though never use it anymore) and various add ons from that. It'll be great to have those routes changed into Railworks as now obviously Microsoft Train Simulator is out dated next to Railworks. I agree that we should have York to London King's Cross and so forth.

TrainDerailer
08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
I would like to see a Canadian route with lots of pine trees and Canadian Shield.

VIA Rail has some older train stock that would make excellent DLCs (think 1950s).

cbf36
08-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi! I'm in the process of releasing a new route called Sparks Reno and Environ, at railamerica.com. This a modern representation of UPRR/SPRR trackage through the Sparks Nevada yard, This route could act as a connector to the Donnor Pass and Feather River Canyon, although they would have to be separate routes. Version-1 is a bare bones route with just the track in place. Its going to take a lot of work, hopefully by a number of people, to get this route finished. Cheers; Chuck F.

lighthousepoet
08-23-2010, 05:23 AM
It would really be great to see all of these routes but ut sems that there is one major drawback to having lenghty routes and that is the time it takes to load them, the longset and most complex route I have come across is the Wales and Borders route available to download from uktrainsim. It takes just over 2 minutes to load up so it is understandable why the developer has left some of the perimeter tracks bare of scenery. We all know how long Newcastle to York takes to load up so just imagine how long it would take to load if it were to be extended down to London Kings Cross.
I think we can only dream at the moment of routes like that, but who knows in about five to ten years time we will all have PC's with enough power to have whole networks that we can roam on.

08-30-2010, 06:08 AM
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway would be awesome, pro done..and also the Great Central Railway. Maybe these could be done in conjunction with the railways and thereby donate a percentage to them like they did with Tornado??

PerpetualOmega2
08-30-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm with your Number 3, London - Paris would be really cool. But please with a shortened tunnel compared to the real one. Driving over 1 hour just between concrete walls is sort of boring I think.

Tunnel is about 33 miles long, trains go through at 100mph(ish)that makes a 20 min tunnel journy, it might be boring but there are still things to see in the tunnels, joining walkways are placed every 300m or so.

My vote is for London to Paris, this would be payware i'd buy.

kityatyi
09-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Hi

Thought I would start a thread asking what routes people think could be made for Railworks. I think that there should be a few more subway routes e.g. the London Underground or the New York subway. It would also be nice to see as a sort of add on to the Newcastle to York route, a York to London route.

Any more suggestions?
Grandcentral

That's really a good idea, the York to London expansion would allow for travelling between Newcastle and London! Wow, that would be cool!

kityatyi
09-25-2010, 06:10 AM
My top five wishlist regarding routes:

1. Budapest-Keleti (Hungary) to Vienna Westbahnhof (Austria)
A lovely international route, between the two capitals' busiest terminals, across some stunning landscape, crossing the beautiful river Danube shortly after departure from Budapest, then passing through some hilly terrain and then riding besides the Blue Danube for a good while before dropping into the flatlands of Kisalfold in Western Hungary. Finally crossing the border of the two countries at Hegyeshalom and arriving to sweet Vienna. Heavy freight and passenger opeartions exist here, the allowed maximum track speed is 160 kmh - this mainline is used by loads of international trains, including the Railjet that runs between Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg-Munich, as well as other Hungarian, Austrian, German, even Serbian and Romanian trains, and much, much more. This is The Route!

2. Vienna (Austria) to Munich (Germany)
Fantastic route with some spectacular scenery, track speeds up to 200 kmh, a great platform for both (high speed and regular) passenger traffic and freight operations. Typical trains include the new Austrian RailJet service, EuroCity and EuroNight Trains as well as InterCityExpress services. A serious hit. Distance is around 400 km or a bit longer.

3. Innsbruck (Austria) to Zurich (Switzerland) via the Arlbergbahn
One of the most beautiful railroads of Europe, the Arlbergbahn across the Alps is included in this section. The route is more or less 220 km long, and leads form the capital of the Alps to Switzerland's biggest city, Zurich. The variety this route includes is second to none, wonderful mountains, green valleys, lakes alongside the track, and lovely villages, finally taking you to Zurich, Switzerland, an international route that screams to be built for Railworks! From heavy freight trains to speedy fast trains, RailJet services, even InterCityExress operations, everybody could enjoy this amazing route!

4. Stockholm to Sundsvall (Sweden)
A variety of operations available here, a great nordic route, with lots of freight and passenger traffic, regular and high speed (X2000) with track speed up to 200 kmh. Commuter traffic between Stockholm and Uppsala exist either. So it's a paradise for everyone. The distance between the two ends is around 350 km.

5. High Speed route Madrid to Barcelona via Zaragoza (Spain) or the new London St Pancras to Ashford International in Kent, with the lovely Javelin trains
I am wondering how most of you British guys can live without a Spanish route, when you can't live without a Spanish holiday:-) The above route would allow for some really high speed journeys using the AVE trains. Yeah, a bit long route (around 600 km), but those trains make it in less than three hours. The other route is a much shorter (90 km) one but still allows for some high speed traffic and I bet it would be a popular route given that it's a British one.

And the sixth, the extra: West Coast Mainline South (Carlisle to London) or East Coast Mainline South (York to London) including the section between Doncaster and Leeds
These routes are nice as they are but why not make them full and complete. I wouldn't mind a bit longer loading time to get such a nice and long route. On my PC, Newcastle - York (modern) loads in around a minute and a half, so a Newcastle to London would perhaps load in three to four minutes, well worth the wait, travelling such a long distance, wow! Same applies to the WCML, it would be great to travel the entire distance between London and Glasgow!

benco97
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM
I'd love to see some of the Welsh railways modelled, of course, most of them are only tourist railways now and not connected to main lines but I'd still love to be able to potter about on them.

Swansea to Cardiff would be enjoyable also.

Clemmo47
09-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Mark, you have London-Reading,soon there will be Bristol-Exeter and on UKTS you can download South Devon Banks (Tiverton-Exeter-Plymouth) so it's gradually getting filled.

John Knapp
09-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Oh, heck, there are a dozen North American routes I would love to see. The Amtrack from LA to San Diego. The "Coastliner" The Santa Fe Chief from LA to Phoenix (and points east) And maybe a Metro Link line or two.

OK, guys, (yes, you, Rich) get busy! :)

Being one of the few US trains I've ridden and see on a regular basis, I would like to see the LA to San Diego Amtrack and Coaster done. I see on Trainsim.com that they have the route for MSTS, but I suppose it's not compatible with RW. The San Diego Trolley would be interesting also.

Chock
09-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Although Railworks does serve the Uk better than most other places, I will admit that personally, Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston would be a route I should like to see, although it'd also be great to have that branching off from Birmingham to go through Bristol Temple Meads on to Exeter etc and then down to Devon and Cornwall. Having that would mean the Diesel Hydraulic locos from IHH would be able to show what they were built for in real life.

I'd quite like to see a suburban one to perhaps Liverpool Lime Street going through the Wirral, which I don't imagine would be that hard to do really, given the flat terrain along most of that route.

Inverness to Thurso would be a really cool one to have too, going up through the beautiful Scottish scenery that the real train ride presents.

Leaving the UK, I'd very much like to see some more North American routes, but not just modern ones. What would be really nice, is some historic routes from the time of the American Civil War with some of those old locos and rolling stock. I'd pay big bucks for an add-on like that. Likewise for such stuff in Canada too.

It'd be cool to have somewhere like Cuba as well, with all those old diesels and overhead electrics units. In a similar Latino vein, I'd really like to see the route from Palma up to Puerto Soller in Majorca, which is one of the nicest train rides in the whole of Europe.

For something different, some trans-Siberian stuff would be good, as indeed would some Indian or Chinese routes, or perhaps down to Vietnam and other places in SE Asia.

It's a big world out there and there are lots of other places than the line from Oxford to Reading. So the developers should bear in mind that the simulator is called RAILWORKS, not TRAINWORKS. Neither is it called BRITISH RAILWORKS, so please, indulge in some international rail routes instead of constantly making train add-ons for the same 40 mile stretch of UK track LOL

Al

seseorang
09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I'd like to see the south east UK. London to Brighton, Brighton to Southampton. And maybe Brighton to Folkstone (DMU ONLY)

kityatyi
09-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Cologne (Koln Hbf) to Amsterdam...

Clemmo47
09-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I've got a lot of non UK routes but the UK routes have such variety. The West Highland Line has been voted the top railway journey in the world . I rode it some years ago and it would be marvellous in RW
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/west-highland-line-voted-top-rail-journey-world.html

arizonachris
09-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Maybe the disparity here (North American VS. British/ Euro) is because the Euro/ British trains are more utilized for passenger travel, N.A. routes tend to be more related to cargo hauling. Still, there seem to be a few third party East Coast (U.S.) passenger routes coming up. Just wish there were a few more North America routes, passenger preferred. :D

kityatyi
09-26-2010, 05:00 PM
From North America, I would vote for CP Rogers Pass and / or Kicking Horse Pass in Canada, and the UP Cascade Sub and / or BNSF Scenic Sub in the US.

Clemmo47
09-26-2010, 07:46 PM
I remember one of the first MSTS routes on the original game was Washington=Baltinore.I knew every mile of that in the end and the Settle-Carlisle route.

matthewt1501
09-27-2010, 03:06 AM
How about... the Stockton and Darlington?
Or maybe something in the form of a Welsh Narrow Guage to a pit of something.
oh, oh, oh, just thought of one my son would LOVE.... The Island of Sodor!
Being able to drive Thomas while pulling Anne and Clarabel, or some troublesome trucks to Maithwait, and Dryaw
I think that would sell very well!!! What a cool idea! HA!My first good idea of the day and it's only 11:04AM.. A personal best! w00t!

Matt

kityatyi
09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Istanbul to Ankara would be exotic, why not?

hermannk1
09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Quite some nice routes in South Africa. Although most of the steam is gone, diesel and electric strong. Knysna/Mosselbay route excellent for example, and still using steam:)

Clemmo47
09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Matthew
There are quite a few Welsh narrow gauge lines and rolling stock you can download from UKTS.
Talyllynn (also new version on DVD for members),Corris,Llangollen,Rheidol.
There's a lot of discussion on some thread of Sodor for RW but no route yet I think due to copyright.
http://album.atomic-systems.com/showPic.php/31582/TALY002.jpg/6

Cawwum
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
i think glasgow to london would be a fab addon for the wcml,or glasgow queen street to edinburgh would be great and finaly since im a ayrshire man born and bred i think they should make an addon for the GARL pack and build the route to Ayr or even add it on to the wcml

kityatyi
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
i think glasgow to london would be a fab addon for the wcml,or glasgow queen street to edinburgh would be great and finaly since im a ayrshire man born and bred i think they should make an addon for the GARL pack and build the route to Ayr or even add it on to the wcml

I am actually supporting anything but another British route, but one of the three exceptions would be indeed an extension of the WCML (North) down to London allowing players to travel from Scotland down to London. The other two would be an extension of the ECML from York down to London (and maybe up north to Edinburgh) and finally, the Eurostar's FULL route (without shortening the distance in the tunnel from London to Paris. This latter would be a really nice international route.

Clemmo47
09-30-2010, 04:55 AM
If you want a huge US route I see Pittsburg and Lake Eerie has been updated and is now on railworks america.
I have the earlier version so I'd better update it. Unfortunately I can't find any scenarios but there are many free roam ones.Plenty of Us repaints around to run on this route and I recommend it
http://railworksamerica.com/fl/rts.html

kityatyi
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Clemmo, just downloaded it, and it's awesome! Whatever you suggest are amazing, thank you very much!

Clemmo47
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh good.There are plenty of US freeware repaints for locos and rolling stock on various sites btw if you get bored with the ones that come with the route (Some do need some extra payware installed first). I've downloaded far too many,half of which I don't use.
I must download that new version of P-LE. Better uninstall the old one first.

Clemmo47
10-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I think I'll have to reinstall Rw. If I move the steam apps to an external hard drive and then uninstall /reinstall I should be able to gradually add back assets/routes.I hope.
My RW folder has just got so huge that the game crashes if I try to edit the massive P-LE route to add extra rolling stock. It runs ok until I click the globe to edit and ofc I've cleared the cache befoehand. Unfortunately the game also crashes when I try to edit the free roam scenarios using the edit button instead of play before the scenario loads.My HD is getting really full so reinstall time I think.Then be a bit more economical with adding routes and rolling stock.
So do I move the RW folder or the whole steam apps to my external HD before I uninstall? I only have RW on steam,I uninstalled the other games.
Warning: This game can get REALLY big.

Edit: Finally edited in the Bekshire and hoppers on the end of the route. Amazing huge route'It takes hours to cross it
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5475/railworksproc2201010011.jpg

kityatyi
10-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Another nice route that could be built - one of my all time MSTS favourites - is the LS&I - Lake Superior & Ishpeming industrial shortline in the US - it's only 16 miles or so - but it's packed with a steep, 1.6 grade climb, and when you're actually hauling 100 loaded iron ore cars, around 10,000 tons - it's not an easy task to keep within speed limits down on The Hill - by the way, speed limits? The maximum speed on that route is 20 miles per hour. Not bad, ehh? Rich Garber (Colton and Northern, Fort Kent, etc...) is a master of shortlines, if I knew his e-mail address, I'd ask him - maybe he'd consider building it! That would be awesome!

kityatyi
10-01-2010, 10:01 AM
LS&I Railroad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MDREcHWvg

Icarus46
10-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Salzburg to Berchtesgaden please.

Gazzer
10-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Exeter to Penzance, stunning scenery along the sea wall @ Dawlish then across Brunels bridge and the Tamar

Clemmo47
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Gazzer,you have to be prepared to register on some sites and install the player made routes.If you like UK routes then join UKTs.(£3 fee I think still for a month,you could download the whole site in that time,thousands of items)
The route you mention has been made at least from Plymouth-Exeter-Taunton.If you want I can post a shot of steam or diesel along the Dawlish sea front.(Bristol-Exeter from Just Trains and Penzance-Plymouth (UKTS) are being made)
The player modded or designed routes and scenarios in this game are mostly better than the default RW ones. WCML is excellent however.Once you have installed your first route you'll never look back
South Devon Banks here...learn to search out these gems.Install the latest version ,check with RW Tools (must have utility) for missing assets /rolling stock and use the UKTS search facility to find them mostly on the site.
http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-directory.php?form_start=0&form_hide=on&form_country=998&form_sim=12&form_path=ty=9,cls=2451

Compared with the nightmare of searching for kuids in Trainz ,Railworks is childs' play.
There's one of Kingswear ,I know I have Dawlish etc somewhere
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9338/railworksproc2201005300.jpg

MatthewSmith90
10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Leeds city should be included as it was once a major railway centre and is now one of the largest and busiest stations in the UK. :D

kityatyi
10-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Short to medium distance: ANY German route, preferably one that runs close to the German Alps, in Allgau. Long distance: Any German/Austrian/Swiss route or an international one across/between one or ore of these countries such as Vienna to Munich or Innsbruck to Zurich via the stunning Arlbergbahn. Or Vienna to Klagenfurt! Alpine routes please!

railwaysRus
10-04-2010, 04:50 AM
I'd like to see in the short term either Newcastle to Edinburgh, or Doncaster to York, and this time with the Class 91.

I believe there could be a ECML route from London Kings-X, which if developed into 5 scenarios say London Kings-X to Peterborough, Peterborough to Doncaster, Doncaster to York, York to Newcastle (all ready exists), then Newcastle to Edinburgh. This should solve any loading problems and if linked correctly to terminate at each of the mainline stations this could provide a workable solution.

Gazzer
10-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Gazzer,you have to be prepared to register on some sites and install the player made routes.If you like UK routes then join UKTs.(£3 fee I think still for a month,you could download the whole site in that time,thousands of items)
The route you mention has been made at least from Plymouth-Exeter-Taunton.If you want I can post a shot of steam or diesel along the Dawlish sea front.(Bristol-Exeter from Just Trains and Penzance-Plymouth (UKTS) are being made)
The player modded or designed routes and scenarios in this game are mostly better than the default RW ones. WCML is excellent however.Once you have installed your first route you'll never look back
South Devon Banks here...learn to search out these gems.Install the latest version ,check with RW Tools (must have utility) for missing assets /rolling stock and use the UKTS search facility to find them mostly on the site.
http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-directory.php?form_start=0&form_hide=on&form_country=998&form_sim=12&form_path=ty=9,cls=2451

Compared with the nightmare of searching for kuids in Trainz ,Railworks is childs' play.
There's one of Kingswear ,I know I have Dawlish etc somewhere
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9338/railworksproc2201005300.jpg

Top stuff thanks on my way now

MikeP
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
How about some Scottish routes?

Clemmo47
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Loads of Scottish routes available,payware WCML and GARL,freeware The Port Road.
On UKTS quite a few others like Further North,Oban and Callander and others. Northern Lights is available but an updated version is being made by Just Trains.
You just have to search around a bit.

MikeP
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
"Loads of Scottish routes available,payware WCML and GARL,freeware The Port Road.
On UKTS quite a few others like Further North,Oban and Callander and others. Northern Lights is available but an updated version is being made by Just Trains.
You just have to search around a bit."

I'm new to all of this so some directions would be helpful :)

Clemmo47
10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
WCML (West Coast Mainline) and GARL (Glasgow Airport rail link) are payware routes available from the steam RW store. The Port Road (Dnmfries-KIrkudbright) is a free route from the same place. Northern Lights (Edinburgh to the far north somewhere) is being made by Just Trains,probably available soon.
Well over a hundred other routes plus scenarios.rolling stock/scenery (mostly UK) are on the largest freeware site UKTS
http://www.uktrainsim.com/

Small fee for a months membership (or 6 months) for fast downloads or else you have to wait in a queue.
There are many other sites of course.

And just for Gazzer the sea front at Dawlish, Sorry no crashing waves over the sea wall
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3402/railworksproc2201010060.jpg

hermannk1
10-09-2010, 05:10 AM
With the recent announcement and subsequent closure of the well-known Outeniqua Choo-tjoe steam train running between Knysna and George on the spectacular Garden Route in South Africa, a route well known for it's beautiful scenery, another heritage is lost forever. The route was set up for sale, but due to a lack of interest, the route was finally closed.:mad:
This route is surely a challenge for route-builders out there. Only 42 miles running along the the south coast of South Africa, it is definitely a big challenge to any route builder. Is it possible to recreate it in railworks so that we can at least have some good memories? :)

jamason56
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I have very little actual time in Railworks, though I've toyed with train sims way back to MSTS. Realizing this is crazy and overly ambitious, considering I've never developed any route before... I'd love to create anything in Alaska (or all of Alaska!). I've got maps printed out, yard schematics, etc. Maybe one day 8-).

Sgorra Bhreac
10-16-2010, 04:05 AM
Helsinki to Pietari (St. Petersburg) to Moscow using either the VR (Finnish)trains the older Russian locos.

moose517
10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
i would like to see more US based routes as well, tehachapi loop, would be amazing, northeast corridor. what would really thrill me is a route around chicago moving east right through my town :D (hey i can dream, we get some real heavy traffic around here)

kityatyi
10-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Helsinki to Pietari (St. Petersburg) to Moscow using either the VR (Finnish)trains the older Russian locos.

Wow, that would be awesome! Mina rakastan Suomi:-)

hermannk1
10-18-2010, 10:30 AM
The so-called Apple Express route in South Africa running between Avontuur (Adventure) and Port Elizabeth. The longest narrow gauge rail in the world still in existence and still operated.

Marklovestrains
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I didn't get round to checking every message posted on this topic.
I would like to comment on a recommendation by Clemmo47.
You had mentioned the 'South Devon Banks' from UKTS? Thank you for pointing that out to me.
Apparently, I did try to download this a while back and unfortunately it had failed to install on my system. So I had decided not to bother with it.
I can't remember why it didn't work. So I had left it at that. It looks like a very good route and a very well done to the developer. But it just wasn't for me in the end. I don't want to put the developer down, or cause offence with any insult by say anything untoward, I am very pleased that the South Devon Banks has been painstakingly developed, but I would rather purchase a professional route whereas I know it would install accordingly into Railworks with no problems.
Sorry, but I really don't mean no personal insult against the developer of the South Devon Banks add on. I do appreciate the very hard work you had painstakingly done to please people like us. It is very good, but just wasn't for me in the end. Best regards, Mark.

Clemmo47
11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Well you have to make sure you have the extra scenery assets and the author usually shows you where to find them.To run at least the free roam a few rolling stock add ons are needed.
Do you have RW Tools to check the route for missing assets and are you a member at UKTS for quick downloads?
That's not a particulary hard route to install and there are so many scenarios you can add .
It's the best route for steam trains but I notice Digital Tractions freeware assets are no longer on their new site since their old one crashed.
You might find some stuff needed on the Switching Yard.

elof_ffs
11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
London to Brighton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ll96VNuSc

And some nice EMU's like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDVfh3vW7TU

Thank you Santa.

Marklovestrains
01-16-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't want to seem greedy - but what the heck, we all in this together...
As we now have Oxford - Paddington, and the recent Bristol to Exeter - I found that there are actually TWO main lines that 'by pass' each other for many miles connecting from Taunton to Reading. Maybe, we could have a developer who can build the 'missing' section of line that connects Didcot Parkway (Swindon, Wooton Bassett, Chippenham, Bath Spa) to Bristol Temple Meads - and connect the line that runs from Reading outwards towards Basingstoke, the line forks right towards Newbury and head through connecting to the junction just outside Taunton. Passing through stations as: Newbury,Pewsey,Frome,Castle Cary,and any other stations/halts I missed and connect the line that meets up with the line that runs from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton. Thought that I would mention it. I am probably asking too much, it is a wish fulfillment.

Marklovestrains
01-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Also not forgetting that very famous landmark; the Vale of the White Horse (Westbury) that can be seen from the train!

Marklovestrains
01-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Clemmo47, sorry I haven't responded to your post.
I am not a member of UKtrainsim, though I was before for a very short time.
Regarding the RW tools, I do have that software, but I wasn't able to work it -as I haven't a clue in how to use the full licence I purchased off the person who owns RW Tools.
Sorry if I sound a bit 'slow' at computer technology, but it is section I am still trying to grasp. However, I am willing to pay for a very good route that is straightforward, rather than download.

Ragnokak
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific/North_Line
http://www.american-rails.com/chicago-and-north-western.html

With Lake Michigan to the East, I took this train for two years from Kenosha to Chicago and then back again. I have to say that the sun rise over the Lake from this train is amazing. There are parts of this route that pass through historically restored suburbs to elevated portions through Chicago itself.

Due to it being on the NW corner of Downtown, much of Chicago itself wouldn't have to be modeled.

I'd be more then happy to work with someone to obtain photos and the such of the route and buildings on the route to help make this historic route great Railworks content.

This route would definitely fill a gap I'm seeing between EU style content and American style content. Not much of the American content is commuter driven with multiple stops like the EU routes can be.

and

Not that I expect the whole route from Denver to Chicago, but ehh, this is a favorite of mine too. The section from Colorado Springs to Denver would be more the epic in my house. :)
http://www.american-rails.com/denver-zephyr.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Zephyr

I mean, what is there not to love about a Stainless Steel Train?

mpnielsen
01-17-2011, 06:41 AM
This is somewhat off topic but it would be great if RS.com would develop the simulator to better handle dynamic loading of assets/state. That would allow much larger routes than seems doable today - and many of the wild ideas in this thread. They may have to, actually, if they are serious about going multiplayer at some point. I don't know if the simulator does some dynamic loading already or if it is my machine swapping (I'm on a 6GB machine but of course limited to the 4GB as things are), but regardless it seems that memory is very much the limiting factor when loading and running routes/scenarios. Would also be a nice opportunity to root out some of those memory leaks that are affecting the sims stability.

The thought of being able to slowly build up larger coherent route systems - or even just to make the portals actually work like such - is intriguing. Must be so for a railsimulator business as well...

I don't want to derail the thread. But I wanted to mention it because this would be essential in order to be able to think realistically about larger (nationwide, even) rail systems being build in RW, in the future. Would also make the sim run better as a nice side-effect.

I am saying this without knowing anything about the sim architecture as it is, I must say - and the RS.com folks have probably already had the thought long ago. It is most likely a huge undertaking - but it would be great! Over-and-out.

Gazzer
01-17-2011, 06:48 AM
White pass and Yukon route

http://www.wpyr.com/

carpless
01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
C2C london Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness
London victoria to Brighton
London underground... various lines... it has been done in the past, can't remember who, but was chinese/japenese... and great fun!

Clemmo47
01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Good post from mpnielsen. This imo is the main problem with RW at the moment and has got worse since the 4GB patch no longer has an effect.

taz rose
01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't want to seem greedy - but what the heck, we all in this together...
As we now have Oxford - Paddington, and the recent Bristol to Exeter - I found that there are actually TWO main lines that 'by pass' each other for many miles connecting from Taunton to Reading. Maybe, we could have a developer who can build the 'missing' section of line that connects Didcot Parkway (Swindon, Wooton Bassett, Chippenham, Bath Spa) to Bristol Temple Meads - and connect the line that runs from Reading outwards towards Basingstoke, the line forks right towards Newbury and head through connecting to the junction just outside Taunton. Passing through stations as: Newbury,Pewsey,Frome,Castle Cary,and any other stations/halts I missed and connect the line that meets up with the line that runs from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton. Thought that I would mention it. I am probably asking too much, it is a wish fulfillment.

That would be nice

I would like to see some of the Great Eastern Mainline, London to Norwich featuring (if possible) Felixstowe and the Harwich branch. Plenty of passenger and frieght activities could be created, as the container port at Felixstowe is very busy with overseas shipping and frieght, with passenger services hurtling up to Norwich. I think line speed is 80-100mph for good stretches of the passenger route to Norwich.

braden1986
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Guys, I live in Castleford, and I have not seen anything getting close to me, not even Leeds station (some nice views could be made there), and just outside of Leeds is a large freightliner yard, so something for both passenger and freight drivers.

I wish I could make stuff, but I am still learning this game.

Clemmo47
01-19-2011, 06:27 PM
You should kep an eye on the UKTS forums.There are several routes made or being made for some I see here.
Recently I installed the new routes Knotty Lines (Stoke on Trent steam era) and WCML South (Tamworth Nuneaton Rugby) and others are on the way. There are a lot of smaller routes in the Challenge series which only use default items.

elof_ffs
01-20-2011, 04:08 AM
That would be nice

I would like to see some of the Great Eastern Mainline, London to Norwich featuring (if possible) Felixstowe and the Harwich branch. Plenty of passenger and frieght activities could be created, as the container port at Felixstowe is very busy with overseas shipping and frieght, with passenger services hurtling up to Norwich. I think line speed is 80-100mph for good stretches of the passenger route to Norwich.

Have a look at this, It's 32 page's though
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=304&t=106071

RalphDaly28
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes, but I think all routes should have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFE8nmKpmXY

...but I cannot imagine how much C++ programing it would take to do it in Railworks! :p

That would be one cool add-on. Provide the scenery and lay your own track!

Toripony
01-23-2011, 09:35 PM
White pass and Yukon route

http://www.wpyr.com/

I am working on it.

I laid the first 20 miles of track over a year ago, but the limited sight distance in RW makes it very NON-scenic. The sight distance is supposed to be increased this spring and I am looking forward to seeing if it makes the WP&Y worth finishing. Trying to pull a 4% grade is a heck of a challenge! Hanging 400+ feet above the bottom of a gorge on the side of a solid rock mountain is a trip!

Tori
http://alleghany.weebly.com/

Gazzer
01-31-2011, 01:36 AM
I am working on it.

I laid the first 20 miles of track over a year ago, but the limited sight distance in RW makes it very NON-scenic. The sight distance is supposed to be increased this spring and I am looking forward to seeing if it makes the WP&Y worth finishing. Trying to pull a 4% grade is a heck of a challenge! Hanging 400+ feet above the bottom of a gorge on the side of a solid rock mountain is a trip!

Tori
http://alleghany.weebly.com/

Should be really good thanks for the update:D

djdave972
01-31-2011, 06:09 AM
how about ? :-
Doncaster - cleethorpes
Doncaster - hull
cleethorpes -barton on humber with new holland pier too
Midland railway centre
NYMR (north yorkshire moors railway)

Toldrabald
01-31-2011, 06:21 AM
Gnaaa... How about something NOT british/scottish/welsh/english/... :p

Think we need to open a "rest of the world" group for RW too, the one for Steam was somehow successful ;) (maybe add a "except US" to the title though hehe)

Beakie
01-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Gnaaa... How about something NOT british/scottish/welsh/english/... :p

Think we need to open a "rest of the world" group for RW too, the one for Steam was somehow successful ;) (maybe add a "except US" to the title though hehe)

LOL,

What the U.S is not apart of the rest of the world? :eek: I think from the viewpoint of official content from RSC the U.S has alot in common with say....

German Railroads :D

Ragnokak
01-31-2011, 06:37 AM
LOL!

Orient Express: Bucarest to Istanbul

Yes I know it is cliché, but thats ok because of the story and history.

Toldrabald
01-31-2011, 07:25 AM
LOL,

What the U.S is not apart of the rest of the world? :eek: I think from the viewpoint of official content from RSC the U.S has alot in common with say....

German Railroads :D

The boys overseas always think they are the head of the world, so they can't be the rest ;) (no offense guys)

Currently the US is better off than Germany, they get official addons and routes by RSC. Germany gets nothing at all (ok there is the dev studio "German Railroads" but according to the two guys they also have their trouble in getting support by RSC). Aerosoft is also doing something in secret leaking bits of information and small low-res pictures from time to time.

What I intended in the first place was that there is nothing official going on outside the UK and US.

Orient Express would be cool in a 1920s setting, the full expansion of the Baghdad Railway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Railway) would also be great :D And I don't even like Steam engines *g*

Free Trade Inn
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I would also like some more locallised light rail routes such as the Tyne and Wear Metro or the DLR (Docklands Light Railway)....... I've got a lot of non UK routes but the UK routes have such variety. The West Highland Line has been voted the top railway journey in the world . I rode it some years ago and it would be marvellous in RW
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/we...ney-world.html

I would like to see the above as well as the Cambrian route from MSTS

With regards to Tyne and Wear Metro the same basic layout could be made in modern and BR period flavors.
On the subject of semi underground rail the underground sections on the tyne and wear metro is about as long as I would want to spend underground in a train sim.

FTI

Clemmo47
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
djdave972
It's no good waiting for RW to get round to making these routes.Get a month's subscription to UKTS and you'll see some of those routes made or in the pipeline and many better than the officially produced routes.
For instance Heartbeat Moor is the NYMR and there are quite a few scenarios for it.
As for US, German,Spanish,Italian,French,Chinese routes/scenarios,there's loads of stuff around.

VinegardRailMan
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm new to the forum and also to Railworks. This is an interesting thread to say the least. A great challenge (bothe in constructing and in operation) would be Union Pacific's Bailey Yard in North Platte, Nebraska. I'v been there in person (largest classification yard in the world) and the scenery is pretty boring, however it would provide lilmitless switching operations. It may never be done but it was worth a thought.

Clemmo47
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
There are a few routes with large switching yards like CSX Mainline but that one only has free roam scenarios,
I think it's on railworks america.
http://railworksamerica.com/FileLibrary/Routes.html

Gunloon
02-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm new to the forum and also to Railworks. This is an interesting thread to say the least. A great challenge (bothe in constructing and in operation) would be Union Pacific's Bailey Yard in North Platte, Nebraska. I'v been there in person (largest classification yard in the world) and the scenery is pretty boring, however it would provide lilmitless switching operations. It may never be done but it was worth a thought.

You and I need to do the same thing that others are doing: learn to create routes and scenarios!

I'm into RW2 for a little over a month and it's my first train simulator, but I'm not new to PC gaming and sims and it's clear RW2 has a lot of potential staying power as the earlier Microsoft Train Simulator had, and still has.

Learning route building is a very steep learning curve but I think even I can do it eventually, and hopefully I will. Personally, I'd love to do the Long Island Railroad, as you'd like to do that UP Bailey Yard.

Meanwhile, there's scads of great stuff out there for our preference (so it would seem), American railroading, both routes and the scenarios to use in them. Get over to Railworks America and see what I mean. In the short time I've been into RW2 I've spent most of my time and gottem most of my enjoyment out of the fine third party routes, scenarios and free and payware rolling stock aimed at American railfans. Honestly, I've barely used the default material included in the basic RW2 :D

The most pressing need as I read it right now is for new scenarios from talented creators for existing routes. There's a lot of content needed for the gorgeous Soo Line, PLE, and upcoming Northeast Corridor routes, as well as Tori's awesome Alleghany route that currently don't really have any scenarios for them.

Others like Jason Sill's Bay of Quinte, Pike's Eagle Ridge and several more, like Michael Stephan's Big Horn, his Moscow, Camden and San Augustine, and small Industrial Interactive routes are really well done and in dire need of good scenarios.

Check 'em out, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I have yet to find myself bored with RW2 in its current state, and its potential for so much more just boggles my mind!

Clemmo47
02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
The last group you mention do have scenarios but quite a lot of extra payware needed. I played them all at one time but reinstalled RW now and mostly sticking to UK routes as RW can get huge and some things stop working.
It's best to limit your downloads.
Plenty scenarios here
http://www.trainsim.com/

Gunloon
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
The last group you mention do have scenarios but quite a lot of extra payware needed. I played them all at one time but reinstalled RW now and mostly sticking to UK routes as RW can get huge and some things stop working.
It's best to limit your downloads.
Plenty scenarios here
http://www.trainsim.com/

Depends on your perspective on what defines 'quite a lot' of payware is, I think. In Michael Stephan's case, most of his payware packs are very reasonably priced in my opinion, plus they're often used in his scenarios, so it's not like your purchase will only be useful for one or two scenarios.

I am holding back on some of the more expensive payware like the Britkits freight and passenger sets, but only because they're a bit expensive for a single outlay...but I do mean to get them at some point soon. All those nice toys will be even more useful once I learn to write scenarios and can use them at my discretion rather than depending on scenario writers as I am now.

I can well imagine your RW install size got out of hand if you had everything. I'm a lot more biased in favor of the American railroad subjects so it's a bit easier to keep my collection at a reasonable size; I rarely fool with the European railroading and have no desire to get more at this point. Your main point is spot on: limit your downloads to things you really want.

TrainSim is a wonderful site and I've downloaded tons of their freeware files to get scenarios working, but they're more focused on European subjects as of course is the fine UKTrainSim site. I browse their scenario section occasionally but it's just easier to hang around Railworks America where most of the material I prefer is concentrated. Still, I found the only existing scenario (that I'm aware of) for my G-Trax Berkshire locomotive at UKTrainSim in fact, so it's great that all of these sites are around for us!

EDIT- I should add that I maintain a folder of all the payware content I've purchased except for that obtained through Steam, which I think is quite stable and reliable. If at some point my collection in my RW2 folder becomes unwieldy I could delete stuff at will without the fear of losing files I paid for. I use two external drives for redundancy, the odds of one dying are quite low and the odds of both dying are astronomical. I keep my precious collection of photos, videos and music on these as well; none are replaceable and I'm serious about keeping them safe. As inexpensive as storage memory is and continues to be this is dirt cheap peace of mind, and makes it simple to keep my collection of railroad hobby stuff managed.

Clemmo47
02-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Yes good points. I;ve found it best after reinstalling RW to stick to one country,UK in my case. However the Soo Line and Altenburg Wildau have already crept back in and I saw that Virginia RR rolling stock on RWA and some locos by jimmie james that go nicely on Tori's Alleghany route so I might have to reinstall that. No discipline !
Yes external HD is a must for this game.

arizonachris
02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Vineguard, I think you're gonna like this upcoming route: http://www.railworksamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1670
Also, Rich Garber's routes (All Aboard Rails.com, also on Steam) have a lot of shunting work. They are payware, but the quality is just amazing. Colton and Northern, Fort Kent to Eagle Lake and Rascal & Cottonwood.

Clem, those V&O repaints do look nice. Tori is already drooling about how they will look on the C&O Allegeny. And those Chessie System repaints by Jesse James also look great on Tori's route.

Clemmo47
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Yes I'm tempted to install Allegheny route again,it's very good. I got the V&O wagons from RWA but I see screen shots there with the V&O locos as well. Havn't they been uploaded anywhere yet ?

Toripony
02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes I'm tempted to install Allegheny route again,it's very good. I got the V&O wagons from RWA but I see screen shots there with the V&O locos as well. Havn't they been uploaded anywhere yet ?

They're not done yet. :(
(EDIT: Ooops, I lied; they ARE released on RWA :D )

I noted mention of North Platte.... what about the "triple track" to go along with it?

If anyone wants to jump in the development pool, what we really need are scenario writers! Trust me, that's a full-time occupation. I'm trying to learn it, but it doesn't seem to be my forte. I have lots of ideas in my head from real operations I've watched, but making them work in RW is a whole 'nother thang.

Tori

Clemmo47
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes Tori ,I see the V&O eagons but I can't find the V&O diesel locos that were shown in the RWA screen shots thread for this set.

Gunloon
02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
If anyone wants to jump in the development pool, what we really need are scenario writers! Trust me, that's a full-time occupation. I'm trying to learn it, but it doesn't seem to be my forte. I have lots of ideas in my head from real operations I've watched, but making them work in RW is a whole 'nother thang.

Tori

Agreed, Tori, as I've noted before myself. Thing of it is, using RW itself isn't terribly intuitive as far as adding content that isn't all conveniently pre-packaged, the editor is worse, and building routes is even worse than those, by an order of magnitude or better as the complexity of the task increases. You're in an interesting position, since your focus has been on route building, the most technically demanding of all!

Creating scenarios is more art than science, a fact that becomes more obvious as I learn and gain some experience. And to be able to free that artistic ability absolutely requires being comfortable with the editor so you can do what you want without getting bogged down at each step with technical issues. A daunting prospect from where I sit for sure!

I've been raving about Michael Stephan's work since I discovered RW, and now I'm raving about Pike's abilities since getting into his Eagle Ridge route and scenarios as well. The common element these two share is the little touches that just suck you right in when running one of their scenarios. Like the first scenario in Eagle Ridge...while you're watching the lead passenger train pulling out of the siding by you and preparing to follow it, a BNSF AI freight train just kind of appears nearby and nonchalantly drives past, a clever bit of distraction. Nothing spectacular, but an event that makes the scenario that much more believable, especially while you're keeping an eye on the lead train, considering what turnout(s) you need to throw to keep your path clear, signals and all the while thinking about the need to keep to a timetable.

Michael's Sheridan Empties scenario has similar touches; at one point you have to simply stop and wait a good five minutes on a siding to let an opposing freight train get by. This on top of the basic task of dragging a heavy line of cars over grades with a double header Mikado with other mini-tasks thrown in, again, nothing spectacular, but very significant in making the scenario believable.

To accomplish this, you really have to think 4-dimensionally, factoring in time with the other 3D events. That opposing freight train in Michael's scenario has to be triggered by your entry into the siding, get moving according to a timer, and of course like the AI train in Pike's scenario, must have its path set by the creator.

That's a lot of factors to consider, and as I mentioned you need to be intimately familiar with the editor in order to do it properly. I'll be pressing ahead with my learning, but I hope I'm up to it eventually!

bigape1960
02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I seconf Marklovestrains views about routes down to the Wesr Country, but I'd also like to see routes through the tunnel and into S Wales. I'd pay serious money if they could include a faithful version of Canton shed (I was born 200 yards from there and spent many happy hours on the footbridge watching the engines when I was a nipper)

Free Trade Inn
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I was lucky enough to ride the Lovers rail from Ijmuiden to Haarlem, but would love to have seen the old station.
Until 1984 there was a direct train connection from Haarlem to the fishing harbor of IJmuiden, The Netherlands. The route opened in the 1880's and was electrified in 1927. Netherlands Railways thought this route was not profitable and wanted to get rid of the IJmuiden line. Over the years they quit maintenance and let the route deteriorate. In the early eighties they said the line had to close as it was too expensive to get it in good order again...
The last Netherlands Railways trains operated in 1984, but the route was kept open for freight trains to the fishing harbor. In the late nineties a company called "Lovers Rail" tried again with diesel hauled trains. They quit after only two years. The Dutch STB removed the switch at Santpoort Noord, which made train operations to IJmuiden impossible.

Now the kink is Driehuis to Haarlem. Also the Haarlem to Zandvoort journey is nice.

So how about a 90's and modern route Ijmuiden/Driehuis to Haarlem to Zandfort?
Maybe this would be two big bit how about the above branch lines with a Haarlem to Utrecht.....NS Class 1600, Koploper, Materieel '64 (Mat '64), SNCB Class 25 and NS VIRM.
Lots of options for scenarios.
What do you think?

FTI

Toripony
02-24-2011, 06:23 PM

http://railworksamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1799

Melfice
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
In an ideal world, some builder would be mad enough to build the Dutch mainline Amsterdam - Enschede in full. Even more ideal, they would include the tracks up to Bad Bentheim as well.

Realistically, I'll take any main Dutch route, preferably somewhere near the east of the country (I live there, see?).

phile
02-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Just throwing this one in (I've not searched so I don't know if anyone is already on it): the UK Transpennine routes from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield and Man Picc to Leeds might be quite good fun. There's a very amusing gradient down into Huddersfield travelling east - slightly alarming belting down there in a Class 158.

Alanch
02-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Just throwing this one in (I've not searched so I don't know if anyone is already on it): the UK Transpennine routes from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield and Man Picc to Leeds might be quite good fun. There's a very amusing gradient down into Huddersfield travelling east - slightly alarming belting down there in a Class 158.

The northern trans-Pennine routes are already under construction - have a read of this long thread on UKTrainsim http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=304&t=107161 .

phile
02-25-2011, 12:38 AM
The northern trans-Pennine routes are already under construction
Lawks, that's an ambitious project! I shall look forward to seeing that complete! Thanks for the link.

lakenhamrod
02-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Would,t it be nice if that very clever Keith Ross would continue the Port road all the way to Stranraer harbour, the route is my personal favorite and brings back fond memories of holidays spent in Dumfries and Galloway, please, please cotinue to the end of the line, I would willingly spend my pension to reach the sea,

Alanch
02-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Would,t it be nice if that very clever Keith Ross would continue the Port road all the way to Stranraer harbour, the route is my personal favorite and brings back fond memories of holidays spent in Dumfries and Galloway, please, please cotinue to the end of the line, I would willingly spend my pension to reach the sea,

It doesn't go to Stranraer, yet, but this might please you http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=304&t=113888 .

1951Dad
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
The East Lancs Railway would be nice, as I live near it would love to drive it.

lakenhamrod
02-26-2011, 12:24 AM
It doesn't go to Stranraer, yet, but this might please you http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=304&t=113888 .

Thanks for the link, something to look forward to in the future, just watched the video,s and it appears to be even better than the original, I am in awe of Keith Ross and all you people out there who build these routes for us to play out our dreams on, Thanks.

Marklovestrains
11-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi all,
Regards to my last postings to this thread, I have become a member to UKtrainsim.com and have managed to download routes from the website and very pleased to say that it has worked out very well.
I now have the South Devon Banks installed. Last time I was only probably learning around how the Railworks system goes. As I have taken aboard the instructions on the railworks wiki and anything I can find on the internet in how to make routes and scenarios and many other things.
Beforehand, I was only learning the basics, but you just get to know it after a while. I am very pleased with the results and to all developers out there- Keep up the good work! ;) Very pleased!

Marklovestrains
11-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Hi all,
Regards to my last postings to this thread, I have become a member to UKtrainsim.com and have managed to download routes from the website and very pleased to say that it has worked out very well.
I now have the South Devon Banks installed. Last time I was only probably learning around how the Railworks system goes. As I have taken aboard the instructions on the railworks wiki and anything I can find on the internet in how to make routes and scenarios and many other things.
Beforehand, I was only learning the basics, but you just get to know it after a while. I am very pleased with the results and to all developers out there- Keep up the good work! ;) Very pleased!

Marklovestrains
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Excuse the double posts - my internet connection was too slow apologies

foitybill
11-19-2011, 12:43 AM
I'd like to see something for the North West, WCML Carlisle to Crewe (or London if we're being greedy!), a Manchester/Liverpool/Southport triangle, for old routes the Liverpool Overhead Railway or Docker's Umbrella.

http://www.liverpooloverheadrailway.com/CGI%20Animation/cgi_animation_a.htm

roxter
11-19-2011, 04:45 AM
i would love to see manchester to cardiff route.but my fav if i could wish for would be a mega route,london to glasgow

rogerbaley777
11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I appreciate all my Brittish friends in this forum and it is only natural that you all are wanting to see routes based in the UK, but you all have to admit that the U.S. is a big place.

I myself am located in Iowa which is in the midwest. a route that I would like to see is the UNION PACIC double track route that goes from Omaha Nebraska to the Great Chicago Illinois area. In addition to part of it being in an area that I live in, it also has a great historical significance in that it was one of key links that made up the U.S.'s 1st transcontinental Railroad, which came together at Promontory Summit, Utah in 1869.

If RSC would do something like, they already have all the default rolling stock and locomotives they would need for an adventure like this and I could never imagine that the Union Pacific would deny them a liscense to produce a route like this. Also give 3-rd party developers the ability to tac on to where RSC ends a route and expand it forward, say to the conclusion of the next section. In other words be able at some point in the future, as an example, be able to start say like in San Berdino and have one continous line, traversing several rail carriers, to Washington D.C. In my opinion Railworks is beginning to have a life of its own and it can be much more than just a Railroad Simulator or a hobby.

It could be a way for people like me, to travel to other parts of the U.S. without having to leave home. This game could become a teaching aid in subjects like geography and history. And if RSC promoted it the right way RSC could even use this game as an aid to teach higher math skills. Who knows Maybe even in skills that would use coding languages like C++

I would be willing to buy one expansion after another because God only knows that purchasing a addon expansion is by far less expensive than having to fill up a gas tank several times or even get on a plane to get to an area I would like see. Most Likely, I will never be able to see much of my country just because of the expense involved.

I think the Donner Pass is a good start. I look forward to purchasing it asap. It would be interesting to see how that route would connect to RSC's default San Berdino to Barstow route.

I apollogize to all to for carrying on so far but I thought these thoughts might be helpful.

You all have a good day

Roger ;)

ortegus
11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
On the Canadian side, I would love to see the Kicking Horse pass (and its spiral tunnels) modeled as a TS2012 route. A second choice would be Crowsnest pass in southern Alberta/BC. Then I would love to see these lines extended to Calgary and Edmonton (my town).

I would also like to see the tourist route for the old Stettler steam train that runs from Stettler Alberta. Its a very short line.

Another route I would like to see is a high speed train between Edmonton and Calgary. I know its a long shot but more western Canadian routes (especially through the rockies) would be nice.

Then again I am also partial to the alpine skier tourist lines in the swiss alps.

Riv401
11-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I would like to see the above as well as the Cambrian route from MSTS

With regards to Tyne and Wear Metro the same basic layout could be made in modern and BR period flavors.
On the subject of semi underground rail the underground sections on the tyne and wear metro is about as long as I would want to spend underground in a train sim.

FTI

Old version of Tyne and Wear Metro i.e. Tyneside loop would be great, as would adding in the Riverside loop and Blyth & Tyne with return down the ECML Morpeth to Newcastle. A small geographical area with 2 seperate circular routes, one with a loop, the other with a few branches and industrial locations.

Loads of scenarios could be created for this including end of DMU's, start / delivery (up ECML) of Metro's, ECML / B&T passenger diverts, Blyth Power station, Alcan, collieries and boat trains.