PDA

View Full Version : Stacking shields, how does it work?

Hootie00
08-08-2010, 04:10 PM
As the name implies, I'm confused about stacking shields, and also armor.

I usually stack a fast recharge, a reflective, and multiple multi-phased shields if I want a really tough shield for one of my cruisers.

The logic being that the combination of high regeneration, high resistance and high capacity shield modules makes for the ultimate all-around shield.

I'm beginning to think that this isn't the case however, that it isn't how the game handles multiple shield modules.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

uksimj
08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I just go for the highest shield strength stat. With my Empire Cruiser (the black ring ships) I have over 1000 in the shield strength stat. Thats just from putting 1 reflector and a few of the green shield generators.

Die_Angel
08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
My two cents, if i understood well, shields recharge over time as long as they haven't been breached, if a shield get breached it won't recharge anymore, but if you have multiple shields, the power layer up aparently and you only lose the shield that got breached.

Also shields are useless against the small fighters since they attack from inside the shield.

uksimj
08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
It all depends on who you are fighting. Against the Tribe, I like to stack more armour than shields, as the enemy frigates and cruisers often fly inside my shield bubble.

If the enemy has alot of fighters then I counter them with fighters and maybe a frigate or two.

But for most occasions, shields are the best defence as they recharge/repair faster than armour can.

DrakenLord
08-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I just stack the green shields. Regeneration is all that matter, as unless you are getting focus fired by a lot of ships you are virtually immortal.

I only use armor when I have hit my energy/crew limit and want some extra health.

cliffski
08-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Several moduels have stacking penalties, and shields are one of them. You get a tutorial pop-up about this, but if you hover your mouse over an installed-module, you will see how 'effective' it is. Basically the first module is 100% effective, then they both go to 95% then all three to 80% or whatever...
This is in terms of strength though, not resistance. These are different things. If you want a good explanation of it, read the manual for the game, as there is some geeky explanation of it right at the end as I recall.

DrakenLord
08-09-2010, 03:32 AM
My understanding was that the total shield strength would get a penalty, but the regeneration rate would stack fully. Am I wrong?

Also an unrelated question but I feel you are the person to ask : When a weapon slot has two lines pointing to two dots, does it mean that by placing a weapon there I have virtually 2 weapons for the same energy consumption of one? And if I place a tractor beam, does it slow it twice as much or just once?

cliffski
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
the lines are purely for drawing extra hardpoints. This is purely cosmetic, and so you can get cool effects with multiple laser beams etc. Its still only one weapon, and only does the normal amount of damage.
also, yes you are correct, regarding shields.

xtala
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
My understanding was that the total shield strength would get a penalty, but the regeneration rate would stack fully. Am I wrong?

Also an unrelated question but I feel you are the person to ask : When a weapon slot has two lines pointing to two dots, does it mean that by placing a weapon there I have virtually 2 weapons for the same energy consumption of one? And if I place a tractor beam, does it slow it twice as much or just once?

Based on this post, I'll assume you haven't read the manual.
I suggest you go do it now, the manual itself is worth 6 because of the epic writing. :D

Hootie00
08-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay thanks guys, I understood the diminishing returns in shield strength, I guess I should have been more clear that I was wondering about resistance/regeneration.

I breezed through the manual before playing because I wanted to start blowing stuff up asap, but I'll take a closer look this time ;)

XSS
08-10-2010, 10:52 PM
For me, the stacking system is a bit weird and makes absolutelly no sense to me. If i mount 2 engines, why would they be less efficient!? If one provides 10 units of thrust, 2 should provide 20 units of thrust. Not 17 or 18 units.
Or the armor. The more armor plates you place, the more protected it should be.
But from what i've seen, it makes no difference. Loaded almost entire ship with armor plates (Ultra Heavy and Powered Armor) and it died before i blinked with my eye. Same goes for shields. Why would they be less effective?

I think the stacking penalty should be limited to use of same item several times. So if i use identical armor for several slots, i should get efficiency penalty on them, but if i stack Ultra Heavy armor and Powered Armor, there should be no penalty as they are different kinds.
Same for shields. If i use Fast recharge and Reflective together, there should be no penalty. But if i stack 4 reflective shields only, i should get penalty on them. This way, stacking things other than weapons would make more sense. Because at the moment from what i could see it makes little to no difference if you use 1 or 4 shield generators. Shields don't seem to be any tougher when stacked, they don't regenerate any faster and they don't seem to resist against fire any longer than just 1.
Or i'm seriously missing something here...

Fersoltil
08-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Shields do not "stack" as you would expect but all are handled seperately. Every time you get hit, a random shield takes the damage. They all recharge seperately and yield seperately.
If you mount the reflective shield and the fast recharge shield, you don't get a single super shield, but you still have two shields with different stats. You will see Proton beams reflected 50% of the time, which is when they hit the reflec and not the fast recharge.
As for the multiples penalty... That's called arbitrary game mechanic to make ship designs more diversified and interesting.

cliffski
08-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Having 4 shields is definitely better than 1, because there are more overall shield points, they take longer to go down. But they are not 4 times as effective.

The gameplay justification for this is all to do with the inverse warp-displacement flux generated by high density proton-fields in n dimensional space, but I won't bore people with why that happens.

Icupnimpn2
08-11-2010, 04:21 AM
The gameplay justification for this is all to do with the inverse warp-displacement flux generated by high density proton-fields in n dimensional space, but I won't bore people with why that happens.

Cliffski, out of all media, I think forums are exactly the right place to go for the extraneous details.

Engine
08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
WOOOOSH

Love ya, cliffski. On a side note, I was going to ask who wrote the manual but that mystery appears to have been solved. Excellent work!

uksimj
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I was playing against the Order the other day. Their weapons didn't damage my armour, hull or shields. But they did drain the white bar (shield stability). Almost instantly all my ships lost thier shields even though they had full blue bars.

What guns do the order have that tear apart shields so quickly? At first I thought it was disruptor bombs, but when I use them I barely affect the enemy shields.

And is there any means of creating shields which aren't affected so much by these weapons?