PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for standin' still, Banker!

Emjay86
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Just curious as to how the banking proffession works exactly.

I buy the required building and from there I can start a credit loan thingymajig. Now ive managed to put up to around 10k in the loan 'pool' so far and no matter how long I sit in that damn chair offering loans nothing happens.

I have at one point seen a guy come into my shop and ask for a loan. Nothing seems to happen from there. I neither gain nor lose money and my loan 'pool' doesn't change either.

Any feedback from devs? Or anyone who actually knows what im doing wrong perhaps?

mwoody
08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Short answer: It's just broken. Don't bother trying to be a banker.

Long answer: It's missing an ability to advertise your bank, leading to a tremendously small number of customers. And even when they DO come in, the only people who need loans are unemployed civilians, so they just need tiny loans. There is no way short of sitting there and watching to see when someone takes out a loan, nor is there a way to see how many loans you have out or enforce nonpayment. As the game progresses, there will be less and less people who need loans. To top it all off, the process grants your character no XP. Avoid at all costs.

If you want to play a scholar, try a church in a town without one of your religion (Hamburg on the Hansa map has no Protestant church, for example). If you get your numbers up (right click on the right-side icon for a town's market to see Catholic/Protestant percentages) and always have Jes-its for sale, you can do a tidy business. Just be ready for your opposing creeds to try to burn it to the ground.

EDIT: Oh, and a quick warning: Catholicism is usually better than Protestantism. The items you produce sell for a ton more, and as far as I can tell, the best item Protestants can produce (Torrent of Hatred) is broken. One caveat, though: the Protestant-only "thesis" artifact is hilarious, as you can walk into a huge Sunday Mass in an opponents church and instantly convert everyone in the building to your religion. Take THAT, heathens!

DrHojo123
08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Short answer: It's just broken. Don't bother trying to be a banker.

Long answer: It's missing an ability to advertise your bank, leading to a tremendously small number of customers. And even when they DO come in, the only people who need loans are unemployed civilians, so they just need tiny loans. There is no way short of sitting there and watching to see when someone takes out a loan, nor is there a way to see how many loans you have out or enforce nonpayment. As the game progresses, there will be less and less people who need loans. To top it all off, the process grants your character no XP. Avoid at all costs.

odd it works for me sure you dont get many people in which needs a fix or mod and the need to take out more money but makeing coins is quick and around 400 to 800 if your lucky and you do gain exp by makeing the coins so thats a lie what you said but i do adivse only makeing a pawn broker if you at least 10,000 =3

mwoody
08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
odd it works for me sure you dont get many people in which needs a fix or mod and the need to take out more money but makeing coins is quick and around 400 to 800 if your lucky and you do gain exp by makeing the coins so thats a lie what you said but i do adivse only makeing a pawn broker if you at least 10,000 =3

Obviously, I'm talking about the actual "loan" part of the bank (a green button that appears when a dynasty member is in the building), which grants no XP. The rest works like any other business. However, you can make more money manufacturing items in other professions, so it's not worth it to create a bank just to mint coins or draw up documents.

My recommendation remains the same: leave the bank buildings alone until they're patched.

UMS
08-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Just have to drop in a "lol" at the thread title. Well played.