PDA

View Full Version : What does the Physx do

OisinLoke
08-10-2010, 04:50 AM
What is that thaing? My computer supportes it on medium so for high you must need a supercomputer from the year 3000.

What does it do :confused:

BC2 Cypher
08-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Why is everyone posting about the physx? it's overrated and costs too much performance.

Anyway just leave it off.

OisinLoke
08-10-2010, 04:52 AM
but what does it do

james_2k
08-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Why is everyone posting about the physx? it's overrated and costs too much performance.

Anyway just leave it off.

t to the r to the o to the l to the l!

to the op, its a method of using the gpu in your pc to run the physics calcuations in the game, moving cloth, broken glass, stone chips from bullets etc.

in practice it allows a more dynamic gaming 'arena' (because even though the cpu can do these calcuations, its much slower than the gpu at it) but can reduce performance a lot, regardless.

turn it on and leave it unless you get low fps. simples

further reading: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_new.html

Doctor_Hades
08-10-2010, 05:25 AM
It adds persistent debris and additional particle effects (e.g. glass shatters more realistically, that kind of thing) during explosions and gunfights. For the 50% performance loss it incurs, I personally find PhysX underwhelming and you'll not notice it as much as the framerate hit it incurs. It's best left off IMHO unless you have triple GTX 480 SLI or something.

acare84
08-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Adding more particles to the game as far as I see for Mafia 2 so you can turn it off. PhysX is only important and make the game cool on Batman: Arkham Asylum for other games it is not important for me.

Neverpleased
08-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Well how should I explain this.

Physx ♥♥♥♥s your game.

If it's turned on your game looks great. With it off no kind of particles are produced and your basically degraded to 360 level graphical eye candy.

With Physx wooden crates leave splinters, glass leave shards, concrete leaves gravel on the floor and so on.

Physx ups the eye candy. Plain as that.

DJ_Professor_K
08-10-2010, 07:17 AM
PhysX is a system that calculates physics. From calculating hundreds to thousands of particles interacting with each other and with the environment on real time, realistic cloth, and several other effects.

This can be calculated with your CPU, but it's much slower, therefor nvidea cards have this, wich reduces the load from your cpu.

Now, physX does add a lot of eye candy to your games, but it costs some performance, depending on how heavy this is, the performance hit can be minimal or can be heavy.

Don't listen to trolls saying physX is awesome or crap, you try it for yourself and you choose you want them or not. What it matters is if you can run it, and if you can, if you like their eye candy or not.