PDA

View Full Version : Is This Game Worth Purchasing?

Crossfire23
08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I just looked on Steam and Nation Red is 50% off ($4.99) I've been looking into getting this game for a while but wasn't sure if it was worth purchasing. Can you guys give me your opinions?

skullzyer
08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Why are you so cheap?

Culgan
08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Why are you so cheap?

Because even $4.99 is too much to spend on a crappy game where the money could be used elsewhere. Thus why he's asking if it's good and wants opinions.

skullzyer
08-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Because even $4.99 is too much to spend on a crappy game where the money could be used elsewhere. Thus why he's asking if it's good and wants opinions.

And how would you know if this game is crappy? You don't even own it.

WaZzUp115
08-10-2010, 11:02 AM

I think what he's trying to say is.
"It's an awesome game, if you're even having doubts with this price then you're a cheapskate" ;)

Berzeger_
08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Haha, this is awesome. I wanted to buy the game the last night, but then I decided to wait for Midweek Madness. And what's happened? :D

Angstrom11
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
isn't there a demo?

WaZzUp115
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
isn't there a demo?

Yes, but I think it might be rather old, so it doesn't reflect the current game with all the tons of updates it has gotten..

I might be wrong though..

Chapa9dj
08-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Crappy game? I think it's aweseome imho. You can't go wrong, i fully recommend this.
It's been a long time since i don't play it. I didn't even know they updated it with online CO-OP. Hell, i'm re-installing it right now. :D

skullzyer
08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
What's wrong with people these days? They can't pay 5€ for a game they're long interested in? Are you just buying games to increase your collection to 500 games and then only play CoD from those 500 games?

If you can't risk 5 bucks for something don't even ask stupid questions next time.

SnowBrigade
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, but I think it might be rather old, so it doesn't reflect the current game with all the tons of updates it has gotten..

I might be wrong though..

Hello WaZzUp115,

We've given Valve an updated demo on Monday, I think that should go live any moment now as well:)

Mr. M
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
This is really becoming a flamewar isn't it. ?
Calm down people.
So are any Opinions in here if the game is worth buying (and yes I am not willing to pay 5€ for something I won't like) ?
And for all of you, who wait to flame: I don't have an opinion regarding the game. Please enlighten me game owners.

SnowBrigade
Haha, this is awesome. I wanted to buy the game the last night, but then I decided to wait for Midweek Madness. And what's happened? :D

And we had no idea the Midweek Madness was coming:eek:

Kador01
So the demo I'm downloading right now, is it the new one or the old one?

WaZzUp115
If you can't risk 5 bucks for something don't even ask stupid questions next time.

Let's keep it friendly..
I can assure you that the game is awesome from my point of view, there are a lot of loyal fans around here, mainly due to the fact that this game has a lot of regular updates with requests from us here on the forums, the devs are doing a great job involving the community :D

And we had no idea the Midweek Madness was coming:eek:

Haha, gotta love Valve.
Sometimes they're really, really.. really slow with updates, but now all of a sudden they're fast or too fast? :D
This is madness! :D

jiminator
08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
the question is, is the game good enough to purchase and eventually play one day in the far future, or is it so good it demands to be played today, or...

its not so much a question of cheapness as it is can it compete for time against the other 150 games I own.

ColdSeer
08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Why are you so cheap?

Dude...
Really?
The guy is asking!
A-S-K-I-N-G.
A, to the S, to the K I N G.
For a crappy game, not a cent is worth.

@Topic

Yes, this game is worth 4,99$ and much much more, actually.
There are some gameplay videos on youtube, but trust me:
Unlike some games, this one is better to play than to watch, just so you can feel the emotion.

skullzyer
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I bought it instantly the moment I saw the deal. I've been looking at these forums for months and I was looking forward to this deal. Should be great fun once it downloads.

Thanks!

Crossfire23
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the help, I think I will purchase the 4-pack to gift copies to my friends.

DocDeltree
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
One word: YES!

If you are into zombies, then this is definitely a must-buy!
The Coop-Mode is a blast and the devs really listen to their community.

One of the best Steam purchases I've made. :)

SnowBrigade
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the help, I think I will purchase the 4-pack to gift copies to my friends.

Hello Crossfire23,

As you can see from the forum, there's lots of scope and ideas to extend this type of game with new perks and gameplay modes.

Now that multiplayer is coming together, we're especially interested to expand on that:)

SnowBrigade
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
So the demo I'm downloading right now, is it the new one or the old one?

Hello Kador01,

If the demo has a game mode called 'Barricade', it's a new demo.

If it doesn't, it's older and the full game will have lots of extras which the demo won't have, especially a lot of new perks designed by players here, new bosses, weapons, etc.

Pauleh
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I haven't played this game in a while but its worth it, even before any of the new modes and coop were added.

Mr. M
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Well the fact that community suggestions are taken even halfway seriously is a reason to buy the game.
consider yourself (developers) 4,49€ (-taxes -whatevervalvetakes) richer

gve
08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Sup, Im buying this but the coop is for how many players? 2? 4? I might get the 4 pack if its for 4 :)

deadahmed
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Which is better - Alien Swarm or Nation Red?

WaZzUp115
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Sup, Im buying this but the coop is for how many players? 2? 4? I might get the 4 pack if its for 4 :)

At the moment it's only 2 player..
But who knows, maybe the next patch will introduce 4 player :P

Which is better - Alien Swarm or Nation Red?

They're quite different..

Like comparing oranges and apples, but as long as you like fruits, go for it xD
(it's sorta the same genre, but Nation Red focuses on arena based gameplay with loads of enemies on small maps and total carnage, while alien swarm has a campaign which you run through.)

Ciaos
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I can't download the demo atm, but is it just essentially a survival mode? Any objective maps/modes?

Oh and I still can't buy the 4-pack :(

Slinky
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I want to be part of a 4 pack deal... but have no friends! :(

omega_prime
08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Well the fact that community suggestions are taken even halfway seriously is a reason to buy the game.
consider yourself (developers) 4,49 (-taxes -whatevervalvetakes) richer

I second that ...

-> buyed

knootewoot
08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Wanted to buy, but I'll wait for new demo on Monday. Not sure I like zombies with guns. Looks fun though and I could use some zombie co-op game.

Keaton Kitsune
08-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm sorta wanting to buy this game at 5$. But I know there are several others like this with the top down view arena wave style. Is this game one of the better ones, and worth buying compared to the others?

xX_Renegade_Xx
08-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Looks fun though and I could use some zombie co-op game.

I've just bought it too, it is definitely a lot of fun and the movement is nice and fluid :D

Rogersdead
08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Great game. Fun, addictive (as these game are) and best of all a real challenge. Love the intro music aswell :)

Well worth 3.99

jaycob
08-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Last time i bought a game that cost this much was Lead & Gold, I had to find out the hard way no one plays that game!

i too want to know if this game is worth buying!

xX_Renegade_Xx
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM

I was a little skeptical too as I wasn't sure this was my type of game (FPS player) but it's great fun and for the price, it's even better. The game plays well and runs nice and smooth.

X_NixoN
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Been wanting to buy this for a while, but the Single Player-only put me off :|

Now, $5 game + Online Co-op, F**k yes!

Metro
08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Definitely worth it. The game gets first rate support as evidenced by how hard the developers worked to get co-op into the game.

JayDeath
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I bought this a few months ago. It's fun for about 10 minutes. I haven't played since. Maybe the coop will make it better? If you're looking to spend 5 bucks, go to Taco Bell.

ninjaz1337
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Purchased. Been waiting on this game to go on sale forever now. I bought so many top-down shooters (cuz I love top-down bird's eye stuff) and have not really liked any (Alien swarm was free and that was the best I've tried -_-), hopefully, THIS WILL BE IT!

i_2_i
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM
i love killing zombies, so i downloaded the demo and played it a few seconds, got boring quick... loved dead rising, passed on left 4 dead cause of the linear maps, prefer open sandbox and now i'm passing on nation red... saving my money for dead rising ii, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rising_2 hopes steam cries it...

xX_Renegade_Xx
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
i played the game for a few seconds, i quickly got bored...

How can you judge a game on a few seconds play?

Get into the levels and see what it has to offer, I've just finished the level with the AK47 gun toting zombie, did my head right in but was nice to beat him :D

TheBeautyIsFake
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Me and my mate just bought it. For 3.99 it is well worth it. Great fun, either working together or seeing who can survive the longest. Just needs four player support, more maps and the option to spectate players when you've died!

Metro
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
i love killing zombies, so i downloaded the demo and played it a few seconds, got boring quick... loved dead rising, passed on left 4 dead cause of the linear maps, prefer open sandbox and now i'm passing on nation red... saving my money for dead rising ii, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rising_2 hopes steam cries it...

You're comparing a big publisher commercial release that will probably cost at least $50 to an indie developer's $10 game... $5 on sale? Never mind the fact that you're only 'saving' a tenth of the price of Dead Rising 2 by not buying Nation Red.

SnowBrigade
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Me and my mate just bought it. For 3.99 it is well worth it. Great fun, either working together or seeing who can survive the longest. Just needs four player support, more maps and the option to spectate players when you've died!

Hello TheBeautyIsFake,

You can revive your mate if he's dead (unless you're playing Last Man Standing).

But the spectate suggestion sounds good. I'm sure we can add that very easily along with more maps:)

Pr3cise
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Dude I bought this without even reading your guys reviews. It looks badass to begin with. Plus co-op. for 5 bucks? worth it in my opinion.

Kador01
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I just bought it. Definitely worth it.

verashkhal
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
What's wrong with people these days? They can't pay 5 for a game they're long interested in? Are you just buying games to increase your collection to 500 games and then only play CoD from those 500 games?

His question wasn't stupid.

Now, your answer on the other hand...

Daisy666
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I just looked on Steam and Nation Red is 50% off ($4.99) I've been looking into getting this game for a while but wasn't sure if it was worth purchasing. Can you guys give me your opinions?

Its a gem of a game - far and away the best buy I've had on Steam (over 100 hours clocked up on it, no other title has been so much value for money).

The Devs have done an absolutely fantastic job of supporting it - the amount of added gameplay that's been brought in since I bought it last November has been astounding.

Great game modes - especially Free Play and Barricade. Lots of zombie types, lots of guns, lots of achievements that you really want to keep pushing for. Lots of perks, lots of pickups. Lots of fun :)

Mathrakk
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM

I would like to nominate this answer as the stupidest reply of the week.

Culgan
08-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I did not once say the game was crappy.

Reread what I said, understand what I said and stop being a ♥♥♥♥.

pukegreen
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I did not once say the game was crappy.

Reread what I said, understand what I said and stop being a ♥♥♥♥.

lol seriously that guy is crazy.

WaZzUp115
08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
3,795 unique views on this thread..
That's at least 3000 potential buyers :D

Ansive
08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Tried the demo. It's still the old version.
While the game seems polished and fun it's really not my type. I need at least a semblance of a story. I thought I was going to be running through towns with some objectives while at the same time mowing down hordes (guess L4D is for that). Turn out it's more of a survival shooter with a limited area (arena) type game. That's really fun too, but not for me right now.

Here are some gameplay videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN6EN6rG7_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSerc650eWs

I even found a video showing how to pirate the game... on youtube lol, crazy kids

shaneh39199
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
game is the ♥♥♥♥.

id say its worth 20$ as of now with online and all the new stuff.

real men kill zombies xD:)

ShadowHazurd22
08-10-2010, 05:32 PM
ah, the good old smash tv games
saw it popping up at steam window because my steam crashed, it looked ok so bought it

bankaiuser
08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I've tried the demo and I liked it. So I was thinking.. if the demo was old and "incomplete" compared what to the game is now, why shouldn't I buy it? :D

And here I am :D

Mexicutioner
08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Cooperative top-down shooter for 5 bucks?

Count me in.

Fargi
08-11-2010, 01:23 AM
I would like to nominate this answer as the stupidest reply of the week.

Seconded. :p

dasHelferlein
08-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Tried the probably old demo version and...it's just not my game, though it has coop. Somehow I like Alien Swarm a lot more.

Fallenlords6
08-11-2010, 04:49 AM
I think it's a great game for the money, I love these Steam Promotions that bring attention to games I might have missed. How I missed this one I don't know, I love killing Zombies.

I like the overhead camera in this, brings something a little bit different to the mayhem of Zombie slaughter. Though generally I suck badly at this game overall, can't even get past the third mission map yet (even on the mega easy setting, yes I am that bad). But it's fun, frantic and worth every penny to my mind. A nice addition to my Zombie game collection. Now if I could only work out how to kill that Zombie Cutter bloke I would be happy :mad: he always gets me.

KeReMiD4O
08-11-2010, 05:36 AM
The game is worth it [:
Yesterday I was like... OMGOMG :D updates, coop, nice.
Fixed my Credit Card and decided to buy the game. Did that.

After a few hours I came home and... Update news.
50% off. Four pack 13,48 euro.
Was like VALVE ARE F... But after a while was like ZOMBIEZZ
Thats just my luck.

Fallenlords6
08-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah, got past the cutter bloke so I am on about mission 9 now. I thought it was hard enough looking after myself, now I have to defend some other bloke - I am going to die, a lot :)

Kador01
08-11-2010, 06:15 AM
That's why I ONLY buy during sales on Steam. Pretty much every worthwhile game will get there eventually, and I've got too much of backlog to play already.

Smokindan50
08-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Great game and supported well after release by the devs. Managed to get #1 on the co-op leaderboards after I pretty much soloed the map for half an hour :D

Ansive
08-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Updated demo is live (barricade mode).

Octocat
08-11-2010, 06:55 AM
-snip-

Ansive
08-11-2010, 07:05 AM
May I sell or trade gift subscriptions?
Steam Gift Purchases can not be sold or traded. Attempting to sell or trade a gift subscription is a violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement and may result in your account being permanently disabled.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549

Just saying guys... you should do this on another forum (like CAG), or not at all (pay the 'full' price).

Mouseraider
08-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Why exactly would I want to buy this when I could just play left4dead1+2, MW2 or BC2?
I fail to see the point of these games, they hardly offer any type of story and the graphic is not exactly 2010 material.

cheeriokilla
08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
The game is awesome, it has it's bugs but it seems to have a very dedicated group of developers. I'd recommend it.

cheeriokilla
08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Why exactly would I want to buy this when I could just play left4dead1+2, MW2 or BC2?
I fail to see the point of these games, they hardly offer any type of story and the graphic is not exactly 2010 material.

Because it's fun to play, unlike Modern Warfare 2 for example. I bought it because I get tired of playing the SAME GAME over and over and over again. It's nice to have your favorite games and a game you can run off to when you feel like it. Eventhough that was my original idea, I'd skip a day of BFBC2 for Nation Red while my hype is on! and it's ON!

WaZzUp115
08-11-2010, 09:15 AM

Ok, so no story, no graphics.. What's left!?
Perhaps it's.. gameplay? Nahh, that's not important anyways..

frapkiller
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Ok, so no story, no graphics.. What's left!?
Perhaps it's.. gameplay? Nahh, that's not important anyways..

You never heard? If it has good graphics its automatically a good game, now matter how horrible the gameplay is. Lawlz

OOIEatte
08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Ok, just bought it, will be looking forward to play it in the evening!

dumpsterj
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Last time i bought a game that cost this much was Lead & Gold, I had to find out the hard way no one plays that game!

which is a damn shame , i found lead and gold to actually be alot of fun :(. I still play it when theres others on.

T@F
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I just bought the game few hours ago.
Also i'm kinda fussy when it comes to the unknown games.

besides being suck with the xbox360 joypad until they add support for other joypads,i'm kinda having a blast with it.
Def worth the price is set at atm.

online is pretty good,could do with more ppl playing though but still good.
I can honestly say,if you like killing and more killing this game wont disappoint you.

Fargi
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
That's why I ONLY buy during sales on Steam. Pretty much every worthwhile game will get there eventually, and I've got too much of backlog to play already.

Yeah, I adopted the exact same policy after I bought L4D2 at full price about 4 days before it had its very first sale (25% off, I think). I haven't regretted a purchase since (except maybe Lead & Gold, as another poster mentioned).