PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with control options - Let me use RMB for forward

Silicon Vampire
08-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I've used the same basic keyboard/mouse setup since Wolfenstein 3d (about 20 years now).
Anything else is absolutely foreign to me and this demo will not allow me to get the controls set up the way I want.

This is a deal breaker for me. I can lower the graphics to play a good game but I refuse to buy a game without adequate control options. I don't even want to play the demo without my normal control config, which would be just about like I have it set for M1...

Unless I can find a way around this and well before the game is released, I will be requesting a refund.

I cannot believe developers do this... I've refused to buy several games in the past for this very same thing, I'm not about to change now.

Kernnun
08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
wth are you talking about? you can map out all the keys you want in Options....

Mouseraider
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Were you unable to alter the controls for the game?

Options - customize keyboard

mollewe
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I've used the same basic keyboard/mouse setup since Wolfenstein 3d (about 20 years now).
Anything else is absolutely foreign to me and this demo will not allow me to get the controls set up the way I want.

This is a deal breaker for me. I can lower the graphics to play a good game but I refuse to buy a game without adequate control options. I don't even want to play the demo without my normal control config, which would be just about like I have it set for M1...

Unless I can find a way around this and well before the game is released, I will be requesting a refund.

I cannot believe developers do this... I've refused to buy several games in the past for this very same thing, I'm not about to change now.

So what kind of steering do you want?
I want a steering wheel for driving but it does not work.

Silicon Vampire
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Simple stuff really. I use RMB to walk forward, MMB to zoom, LMB to fire, scrollwheel to switch weapons while on foot. I use RMB to move forward in driving mode. That's it.

I can not find a way to make this happen... so far.

Mouseraider
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Well it does seem like it's impossible to alter the keys to use mouse buttons for movement, but I must say that it's the first time I have ever attempted adding it for that.

I wish you luck and hope that Illusion Softworks or rather, 2K Czech make all keys customizable.

walofc
08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
steering wheel support with proper force feedback is essential or i wont be buying either.no more crappy console ports.

snake289
08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Seeing as this could be so simple to add in, They should release it as a day 1 update for the game if they can.

bloodypalace
08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Wow, overexaggerate much? The controls are the fine the way they are now.

Silicon Vampire
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Look, I have been playing FPS games for over 20 years with the very same basic setup. I will not be forced to change the way I play these games.

If developers want to force me into their control setup, they can keep the game. I don't need it.

I should have the opportunity to play it with whatever control setup I want.

Sgt.Gotee
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Fine for you.

I'm okay with them too, but I see the OP's plight because I've been in those shoes a good deal as well.

I-Am-Blind
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Wow, RMB to walk forward - that is really old configuration.
Maybe you should evolve a little bit?

Silicon Vampire
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow, RMB to walk forward - that is really old configuration.
Maybe you should evolve a little bit?

SO? Big deal. It's the way I like things. The "W" key is far more useful in close combat situations.

I don't care how you have your controls set up, please let me have mine the way I like.

THE Nakedgun
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I play with jump on mousewheel or mouse 2 for some games and I hate it when I cannot change the control config to suit my needs this type of thing is very common on consoles, they usually let us pick form a limited selection and thats it.
I cannot fnd any config fiels to modify either.

bloodypalace
08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Look, I have been playing FPS games for over 20 years with the very same basic setup. I will not be forced to change the way I play these games.

If developers want to force me into their control setup, they can keep the game. I don't need it.

I should have the opportunity to play it with whatever control setup I want.

Or you know, you can adopt to changes.

JamesHowlett
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Well since it's a very old and rare setup you can't blame them for not supporting it. I'm actually playing with a controller because I can't play third person shooters that great with mouse and keyboard, and if that wasn't supported I would be a little disappointed but it wouldn't stop me from buying the game. The game's great it's a shame you'll miss out, but you can also expect this from future titles.

Claptovaughn
08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Isn't there third party software you can use to get around this? Map your right mouse button to simulate the W key. Then when you're in game, pressing the right mouse button will make the game think you're press W.

If you insist on using your particular configuration, it'd be a good idea to find software now because I doubt this will be the last time you'll have problems mapping it.

JackM
08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
GlovePIE (http://glovepie.org/)
AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/)

GnuRejser
08-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Or you know, you can adopt to changes.

You twath, no one should be forced to play with one setup.
Especially when you can customize EVERYTHING BUT the movement controls. this is just bad programming, or just laziness regarding the demo.

And no, i dont like the movementcontrolls, i play ASD + RMB for movement, i have played my FPS games for the past 15 years or so with this setup, why should i "evolve" to something else?

This is just ignorance by you and everyone else..

nebenschwein1
08-11-2010, 05:11 AM
LOl this thread made my day. i thought i was the ONLY human being who uses RMB for forward (ever since descent 1). now i know im not a freak. or at least not a lonely freak anymore. so yes, i second this thread.

Hideous
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
What JackM said - Use AutoHotKey, it should do it for you. :)

JackM
08-11-2010, 02:40 PM
What JackM said - Use AutoHotKey, it should do it for you. :)
or GlovePIE.

phaz0r
08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I feel ya Silicon; I've been using a similar setup as you since the Wolf/Doom days as well. You may as well open a support ticket now for that refund; they don't tweak small stuff like this for the PC when the game is 100% console port. Thanks to games like the Witcher I've much improved my use of standard WASD controls but in games that support full custom keybinds I still go "old-school":

RMB: m. forward
LMB: m. backward
MMB: toggle crouch
CTRl: Attack
Alt: S. Left
Space: S. Right
Z: zoom
X: sprint
c: melee attack
A: lean left
S: lean right
Mouse4: Use/activate
Mouse5: Prone/inventory panels/or other misc. bindings

jimnms
08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Add me to the list of users that use RMB for forward. I too have used basically the same key config since Wolfenstein. It HAS evolved with games over the years. I have AutoHotKey, and was able to map the RMB to the up key. Here's my .ahk script if you want it:
#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#InstallMouseHook
#InstallKeybdHook

#IfWinActive ahk_class Mafia II
RButton::Up
Create a plain text file called Mafia2.ahk, copy/paste the code into it and save it. Double click it to load (after you have AutoHotKey installed). The RMB will only be mapped to UP while in Mafia II.

IMO, the default WASD used by most games now is the most inefficient control scheme possible. It works fine for twitchy shooters like Quake and Unreal since doors open automatically, you're just moving and shooting. It's clumsy and inefficient for more complex games since you tie up one hand for all of your movement controls, making you have to move your hand from a movement key to press another key.

I use the same movement controls for all games, adapting the other buttons for each game. This control scheme is based on the default key config going back to Wolfenstein and Doom's (and I believe Quake/Quake2) default keys of:

LMB = Shoot
RMB = Move Forward
, = Strafe Left
. = Strafe Right
R SHIFT = Use

I use pretty much the same finger's for the same functions, but I've moved my hand to the home row of keys (ASDF).

LMB = Shoot
RMB = Forward
Space = Backwards
S = Left
D = Right
F = Jump/climb
V = Crouch
LShift = Sprint

This leaves the QWERTY, AGH and ZXCBN keys easily accessible for other functions. Having my right hand's middle finger moving me forward, my left hand's thumb for backwards and two middle fingers for left and right, I can use my left index finger to reach the RTYFGHCVBN keys without having take a finger off of a movement key. If I do have to move my hand from the home keys to press another key, it's easy to get it back in place without having to look since keyboards have a notch on the F and J keys which allows touch typists to find the home keys without taking their eyes off the screen.

Every PC game that I play (and have played in the past) has let me remap any key/mouse button to any function. It seems like a few recent game releases have had a broken control mapping system in them and some keys hard coded to certain functions so you can't bind it to anything else. They've all been console ports or simultaneous PC & console releases. GTA IV initially didn't let you bind the RMB to a movement key, but they later patched it.

intelfactor
08-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Who uses the RMB for Forward these days. LMAO!!!

I've been using RMB for aiming for god knows how long.

ironhorseUSMC
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Who uses the RMB for Forward these days. LMAO!!!

I've been using RMB for aiming for god knows how long.

exactly what is wrong with kids these days.
respect for Doom and Quake and Descent.
when forcing inverted mouse and RMB was forward just made us.. sigh.. more respectful players that understood the center of the universe didn't wrap around ourselves and that other people MIGHT like to use a different configuration.

fix it. there's no excuse for this crap. its as basic as inverted mouse. why would i want to use zoom as my RMB when i could use forward? I'M GOING FORWARD MORE OFTEN THAN I'M ZOOMING!?
fix or i dont buy. and that really sucks - i sucked it up for Dead Space... but i ain't doing that again. modern games don't have an excuse. its laziness.

DJ_Professor_K
08-12-2010, 01:41 AM
It's less 1 sale that no one will notice, not us, not the devs, no one.

The time it took you to make this useless rant, you could have used it to actually give a go to a new control scheme, while, yes i do know how it is when changing to a new control scheme (i still remember how it was when changing my control scheme when quake 2 came out), you might find a better control scheme wich you easelly adapt. Doesn't need to be the WASD, it can be any other.

*sigh* Regardless all this, you can use any macro app. or specific apps to rebind keys.

Like already suggested, both autohotkey and glovePIE are good choises.

silent55
08-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Yeah, they should fix the problem. It's not a big deal. The rest of the rant seems unfounded, though, especially since it turned into an old gamer/new gamer fight about control configs. Really? Wow, guys. I've been playing since Wolfenstein, too, but who cares? I'm sure we've all experienced problems with stupid config options, and to each their own. I'd stow this different configs "made us more respectful players" thing, though, because now you're giving the young'uns a reason to flame even more. No age group or era is exempt from disrespectfulness; there are asses in all of them. Gah, now I feel dirty for even adding to this thread...

GnuRejser
08-12-2010, 05:57 AM
It's less 1 sale that no one will notice, not us, not the devs, no one.

The time it took you to make this useless rant, you could have used it to actually give a go to a new control scheme, while, yes i do know how it is when changing to a new control scheme (i still remember how it was when changing my control scheme when quake 2 came out), you might find a better control scheme wich you easelly adapt. Doesn't need to be the WASD, it can be any other.

*sigh* Regardless all this, you can use any macro app. or specific apps to rebind keys.

Like already suggested, both autohotkey and glovePIE are good choises.

So if the devs just decides that the y and x axis only can be moved with the home and insert button i should just accept that?
I have play the game like that, because it is how the devs want it? Even IF the mouse or trackball or joystick is an better option?

Surely there is allot of people who wants to rebind their controls to their own personal settings INGAME, not by external programs. This is fundamental to pc and console gaming. You want to experience the game controlling it the way you want it.
Example:
What if WOW fans all over the world was forced to bind all their settings to one numpad and nothing else? Would the fans adapt or rage about the idiotic predefined macro scheme?

Linblum
08-12-2010, 06:02 AM
when forcing inverted mouse and RMB was forward just made us.. sigh.. more respectful players that understood the center of the universe didn't wrap around ourselves and that other people MIGHT like to use a different configuration.

fix it. there's no excuse for this crap. its as basic as inverted mouse. why would i want to use zoom as my RMB when i could use forward? I'M GOING FORWARD MORE OFTEN THAN I'M ZOOMING!?
fix or i dont buy. and that really sucks - i sucked it up for Dead Space... but i ain't doing that again. modern games don't have an excuse. its laziness.

lol oh dear

DJ_Professor_K
08-12-2010, 06:22 AM
So if the devs just decides that the y and x axis only can be moved with the home and insert button i should just accept that?
I have play the game like that, because it is how the devs want it? Even IF the mouse or trackball or joystick is an better option?

Surely there is allot of people who wants to rebind their controls to their own personal settings INGAME, not by external programs. This is fundamental to pc and console gaming. You want to experience the game controlling it the way you want it.
Example:
What if WOW fans all over the world was forced to bind all their settings to one numpad and nothing else? Would the fans adapt or rage about the idiotic predefined macro scheme?

Theres a diference between stupidity (like your examples) and taking the option to not implement something that no one uses anymore (1 or 2 in the middle of a few thousands?).

That mouse movement is barelly used nowadays, and just like you adapt to the internet, upgrade your PC, get used to the touch screens from your phones, etc, you can also evolve and get used to another control model scheme. Is it good being forced to change? Not really, sometimes it's quite annoying, but do you really need to make a rant about it? Plain and simply: No.

SoulNefarious
08-12-2010, 06:31 AM
... Wow.
Why is everyone so angry?
Listen, games are made for the consumers. Said consumers should be allowed to use WHATEVER controls they wish. So what if he plays old school, it's his choice. He's comfortable that way, so let him play that way. I agree, this game should fix the binds a bit, or atleast allow it to be changed via an ingame console (if they're too lazy to change the menu now).
It's stupid not to support players that use different setups.

Sly_Ripper
08-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Steam don't offer refunds though, right?

Mouseraider
08-12-2010, 07:06 AM
So how do you zoom? why not use e,r,t,f,g,q,c,v instead of w for that melee button?
Or even better, mouse 4 or 5

Mouse wheel for jumping is only good in css for silent jumps.

GnuRejser
08-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Theres a diference between stupidity (like your examples) and taking the option to not implement something that no one uses anymore (1 or 2 in the middle of a few thousands?).

That mouse movement is barelly used nowadays, and just like you adapt to the internet, upgrade your PC, get used to the touch screens from your phones, etc, you can also evolve and get used to another control model scheme. Is it good being forced to change? Not really, sometimes it's quite annoying, but do you really need to make a rant about it? Plain and simply: No.

Ok fine, my examples are a bit extreme, but it still proves my point. If i am forced to play a game with one set of controls only, i would be pretty disappointed. And i guess a few more then 1-2 in the thousands would react the same?
BUT if you are granted to change some of the ingame controls
why not all of them? Thats just stupid.

Imagine the gameinfo looking like this:

Congratulations for buying Mafia2!
NOTE: You cannot bind any mouse buttons for movement, Please find an 3rd party program to use for this odd combination. We will not support it, because no one plays a game with those kind of controls anymore.

JamesHowlett
08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Well his problem has been solved and it's really pointless to be fighting but anyways I have a question, since what do you use to shoot/aim down the sight?

EvilDonkey
08-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Well, to you maybe. It isn't that hard to add more control options.

The lack of options only makes it feel like a console port. And that's what it is, a medium console port.

StabbyStabStab
08-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Simple stuff really. I use RMB to walk forward, MMB to zoom, LMB to fire, scrollwheel to switch weapons while on foot. I use RMB to move forward in driving mode. That's it.

do you only have 1 hand? That has to be the most awkward setup Ive ever heard of.

EvilDonkey
08-14-2010, 06:18 AM
do you only have 1 hand? That has to be the most awkward setup Ive ever heard of.

Funny, I have 2 friends that pretty much have it the same way. I don't because im a lefty, I use my numpad.

Silicon Vampire
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Alright. I have tried to play the game without my RMB. Sucks, I can't stand it.

Tried Autohotkey, the only way to stop the script is by RMB, which is the button I want to modify.

Huge conflict.

I would have to use the task manager to stop it...

and I should not have to jump through all these hoops because of the developers shortsighted perspective.

I've written to 2K support days ago, they seem unwilling to even answer me. If this is the level of support I can expect from them, well, strike two.

I think I'll pass on this game, get a refund, see what happens in the future. I'll wait for it to come on sale. I don't care how long it takes as I probably won't buy it with the current control limitations.

I am sorely disappointed. I was really looking forward to this game... but if I don't enjoy playing it because of the control limitations...

I really tried, I played through the demo several times but by the third time, it felt like a chore. I don't want to play a game when it feels more like work, I have enough of that...

JackM
08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Tried Autohotkey, the only way to stop the script is by RMB, which is the button I want to modify.

Huge conflict.

Have you tried GlovePIE (http://glovepie.org/)?

Silicon Vampire
08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah and AHK.

Both are way overkill for what should be already in the options. I got better things to do than learn a whole new program to bind one frikkin' button that should be accessible to begin with.

B0Zski
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM

I really need to understand something here. I can't get the demo to actually install yet (trying again for the third time in two days), so I haven't seen the layout or keyboard mod screens. How crippled is the control customization? I too have a non-standard layout for how I've been playing since I bought my first computer and don't want to buy a game that I'm going to have to end up returning because it won't let me customize it.

Can anyone post a screenie of the configuration screen? I'm nervous now and I've been waiting for this game forever.

Silicon Vampire
08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Only thing That I've found is the RMB. You cannot use it for movement. And for me, this is unacceptable.

I'm hoping it was just an oversight in the demo... but I need an answer before time runs out on cancelling my pre-order of the DDE version.

Cyph3r
08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
"57. Can we choose the control layouts for the PC or console versions by binding certain keys/buttons to controls?
Yes Ė you can customize your PC controls. There may be a couple set ups that donít work (depending on how differently you like to configure your controls Ė Iíve seen some interesting ones in my time here.) You can test out the bindings in the demo, and if you canít do something you want to, let me know in a PM or email Ė Iíll tell the team."

Just saw this, figured you'd be interested in it. http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1020889&postcount=104

So, maybe you still have a chance.

jimnms
08-19-2010, 01:19 AM

Huge conflict.

Did you try the .ahk script I posted (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16519331&postcount=24)? The RMB will only be bound to the UP key while the Mafia II window is active. After you quit the game or ALT-TAB out, the RMB works as normal.

There's another program out there that I haven't tried. I was about to try it when GTA IV fixed their key bindings to allow using RMB to move. It's call XMBC (http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm). AHK worked for GTA IV, but for some strange reason, GTA IV still saw the RMB.

I'd rather be able to do it all in game too, but at least I was able to play the demo using AutoHotKey. I'm willing to bet they'll fix it by release, it seems like such an easy thing to fix since you can bind the RMB to anything except movement controls.

I've decided not to buy the game yet. This is only one reason though. The main reason is there are other games about to come out, and I can't justify pre-ordering this one after I've already spent $80 pre-ordering a couple of other games, not to mention all the games I bought on sale that I need to get to. This one will just have to wait.

Baldman
08-20-2010, 05:09 PM
+1 for allowing us to bind RMB.

I'm another RMB for forward user.

I was going to preorder but I'll wait until theres a confirmed fix for the mouse button assignments. I cant play a game if I cant bind forward to my RMB, using the keys to move is too awkward for me to use.

Jahkillian
08-21-2010, 04:54 AM

Dude? How and why did you ever train your self to those settings?
RMB for forward? Do not have a left hand or something?
I can understand if you're handicap or something.

0xDEADC0DE
08-21-2010, 09:44 AM
steering wheel support with proper force feedback is essential or i wont be buying either.no more crappy console ports.

it's a joke, right?

coltsim
08-21-2010, 03:21 PM
trust me, when the game comes out on pc, you're gonna have much bigger problems than the keys not being compatible with your configuration. so you might as well cancel the pre order.

Silicon Vampire
08-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Did you try the .ahk script I posted (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16519331&postcount=24)? The RMB will only be bound to the UP key while the Mafia II window is active. After you quit the game or ALT-TAB out, the RMB works as normal...

I did try AHK and your script. I can't get it to work properly. I'll be looking a little closer tonight when I have a few minutes.

4.6 Punisher
08-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I think it's pretty strange to not get a game because you can't customize the controls to that. But ultimately, it's your decision and your money.

taz rose
08-22-2010, 12:59 AM
THe man likes to play that way so let him. To be honest, games like this i use a 360controller. If I had to use Keyboard and mouse, i would want my left mouse to accelerate a vehicle and right to brake. I have played GTAIV this way and it worked well.
Really, a controller for petrol brake is essential, otherwise, every key/mouse button press is considered full petrol/brake. Sometimes one wants to coast around a bend, holding the petrol just so that i can angle around a corner a maximum speed without loosing control of the vehicle. Thats my preference anyway, i would not be happy if I couldnt play a game with my preferences.

ironhorseUSMC
08-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Is it good being forced to change? Not really, sometimes it's quite annoying, but do you really need to make a rant about it? Plain and simply: No.
I think it's pretty strange to not get a game because you can't customize the controls to that. But ultimately, it's your decision and your money.

really?
you've never run into this issue? i had to do something illegal to the game, Wanted, just to get it to allow me to play inverted. (while the console versions get it in the menu)

its okay that you dont understand, so to help you, try doing this for all your games:

set up your mouse to be inverted like mine, make your RMB forward, s back, z left, x right, c crouch, a aim and d melee. thats my configuration for every game. play with that for a few days without changing it and tell me how it goes. tell me how easy it is for you to "adapt" and how easy it is for your mind to re wire itself.

you know why people like me and the OP get so angry about these issues? because there are so many people out there who dont understand because they not only are part of the general population which use WASD and non inverted, they contribute to the degradation of developers not making a product for the consumer.
its these people that have no understanding because it DOESN'T EFFECT THEM. so they say "cry some more" and "adapt and quit ♥♥♥♥♥ing" etc. when... i bet if i forced them to play with my controls for a week they couldn't follow their own advice.
so my gripe and anger comes from those people who perpetuate and contribute to the situation at hand - not because they are unaffected by the forced setup - but because they tell us to shut up and deal with it, and then dont understand why we start threads begging the devs to include a single f**king option. (Here's looking at you, dj_professor_k)
meanwhile developers just get lazier and lazier towards the PC consumers. here's hoping Mafia2 devs listen not to you useless, unaffected crowds and include ONE simple and very basic option.

if it doesn't effect you, stay out of it.
that's why these forums are here, you idiots, for discussions and issues.

/end rant
/begin trolling responses

Cyph3r
08-22-2010, 02:18 PM
really?

set up your mouse to be inverted like mine, make your RMB forward, s back, z left, x right, c crouch, a aim and d melee. thats my configuration for every game. play with that for a few days without changing it and tell me how it goes. tell me how easy it is for you to "adapt" and how easy it is for your mind to re wire itself.

I've played games with RMB was default for forward, when your setup was used pretty widely, with the arrow keys were used, and now wasd. I can adapt. Mafia 1 used arrow keys to drive and wasd to move outside of car, I didn't even change those settings, I just kept them. If your brain has trouble adapting to hitting different keys, I don't know what to tell you. I think it's more of a stubbornness (which isn't a bad thing).

I'm not bashing you, I swear, I do understand where you are all coming from, I just don't see how it's hard because I've played so many ways. But as for the inverted, hell to the no, that is one thing I'm stubborn about to adapt/change to. But, as I posted a few pages ago, the devs know about the control problems some users are having, and might possibly fix it and let you bind that. I'll let you know Tuesday. :).

ironhorseUSMC
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm not bashing you, I swear, I do understand where you are all coming from, I just don't see how it's hard because I've played so many ways. But as for the inverted, hell to the no, that is one thing I'm stubborn about to adapt/change to. But, as I posted a few pages ago, the devs know about the control problems some users are having, and might possibly fix it and let you bind that. I'll let you know Tuesday. :).

sweet. yea, i understand man, i do. i "adapted" to wasd to play all of dead space.. and gta4. its fine until i get into a hairy gunfight and instinctively hit the wrong key and end up dead. :)
but no it is possible to settle.. but man its not worth me spending $50 bucks, right? if i have to concentrate that hard on re learning a config.
but you also pointed out how hard it is to re wire the brain with inverted and non. personally i grew up with descent and flight sims and what not..so its pretty well ingrained. plus i always defend it by saying its not a 2d environment like a webpage and mouse. its a 3d world. keep your feet in place on the ground and look down while holding your hand to your side like you would a mouse. you'll notice that inverted truly represents three dimensional interaction, your head goes forward to look down, back to look up. its pretty natural to me, but i understand alot of people grew up with other setups, and thats cool. wish i could adapt easily.
thanks for the link to their forums. i see a mentioning of the controls issue but no dev input yet?

Silicon Vampire
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM
It also can go beyond "adapting"...

I have some neurological issues that make it difficult to press any key for long periods, repeatedly or press more than one key at a time with my left hand. I've "adapted" my controller configuration over the years to accommodate this fact.

Without the right mouse button to move, I'm pretty much stuck being woefully inadequate at any game.

The biggest issue here is why would they limit any configuration on a PC? The configurablity is why I play games on the PC.

Hardin4188
08-22-2010, 04:01 PM
It also can go beyond "adapting"...

I have some neurological issues that make it difficult to press any key for long periods, repeatedly or press more than one key at a time with my left hand. I've "adapted" my controller configuration over the years to accommodate this fact.

Without the right mouse button to move, I'm pretty much stuck being woefully inadequate at any game.

The biggest issue here is why would they limit any configuration on a PC? The configurablity is why I play games on the PC.

I agree that you should be able to change the controls to anything you want although I would never use those controls. It's funny though if you said this at the beginning I don't think anyone would have criticized the way you play.

Silicon Vampire
08-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I agree that you should be able to change the controls to anything you want although I would never use those controls. It's funny though if you said this at the beginning I don't think anyone would have criticized the way you play.

That was exactly why I didn't say anything.

It does not matter why I want the controls the way I do, only that a developer is ignoring a very common tenant in PC programming.

I should be able to configure any button to anything I like, for any reason.

ironhorseUSMC
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I should be able to configure any button to anything I like, for any reason.

just one of the MANY reasons why i greatly prefer PC gaming over console. i own a 360. hardly use it (mostly just for exclusives) because why? i can configure it to my liking, it looks better, i can mod, download free things, use a highly accurate mouse and dozens and dozens of keys to bind to, great dedicated servers... the list really does go on. but configuration is really one of the biggest things up there. so while you have a neurological reason... i just have a "stubborn" mind? it just cannot change that easily, just like people who play non inverted.. i've tried to force someone to play how i do.. its hilarious. :)

well mafia is out this week.. lets see if its fixed, huh?

keen4
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM
it's a joke, right?The first one had steering wheel support with AMAZING force-feedback. You felt every small bump, the engine, collisions, etc. Sadly, Mafia 2 doesn't have either.

derpburp
08-22-2010, 10:42 PM
I felt the controls were a little wonky too.

SunriseDriver
08-23-2010, 04:12 AM
I was very surprised seeing a moderator whining about this. You're not going to buy the great game only because you can't adapt yourself to ONE key? You've probably played only FPS games from Valve and id all these 20 years.

It's not a FPS, it's an open world TPS game.

Loosifur
08-23-2010, 05:17 AM
To be honest, I was originally going to post some good-hearted stone-busting about the connection between using RMB and being upset because Best Buy doesn't sell 8-track players, but I'm stunned by all the hostility. I mean, when I played Wolfenstein and Doom I didn't own a mouse, so I brought some of those old control habits along when I got used to using a mouse in games. Personally, I have tended to not have issues with control schemes, but I sympathize. It seems like binding RMB to forward would be effectively the same as binding it to any other key; it's not like binding mouse-left to fire or something. The configurability is half the draw of pc gaming, and it seems like a no-brainer to make controls fully customizable.

And as for the doughy shut=ins making fun of handicapped people playing games...I have an aunt who was born handicapped, and she has had to adapt to the things most people take for granted. It's not easy, but she's never complained because she doesn't believe that it's anyone else's responsbility to accomodate her. However, it does mean that she would, for example, have to bind most actions to a mouse.

Now, please feel free to point out the humor or shame in that. Really. Tell me why that's funny, or why she should be embarrassed. Or, in the alternative, shut your ignorant hole.

taz rose
08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Well said Loosifur, i agree mate, Moderator neither needs to justify or explain why they would prefer a different control setup. Ive never adapted to wsad keys, always prefering to use the arrows, shift, enter and numberpad for my bindings.
There are some ignorant folk out there that take things for granted. What comes naturally to some may not be so for another person. The only game that forced me to play with wsad was Alone In the Dark and even though i improved with this way of playing, it doesnt feel natural or fluid. It will take a long while to relearn the auto-response system in humans is there for a reason, to make things second nature so we no longer need to think about them. like driving a car for instance. I know, lets shift the clutch over to the petrol and move the brake into the clutch position. Might as well move the gear stick to the otherside too. Yeah we could re-learn to drive that way, but we would never drive as well as 20 years of autoresponse doing it for us...its a long road and is it really worth it for a video game?

To moderator, might as well plug in a controller me thinks if you still want to play it. Or hope that devs heed your request and amend the config data for the game.
Good luck.
And people, this post was made for help and assistance, not for critising his or others play methods. Dont you think he already knows the obvious?

ironhorseUSMC
08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
so is it fixed? i want to buy this right now. someone please let me know : can you bind RMB to forward in the full game??

Cyph3r
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Downloading now, I'll test it, and post in here. Or edit this, depending on how many replies there are after this one. Or if someone beats me to it.

Freyar
08-23-2010, 09:29 PM
There is really no acceptable reason to not allow for rebinding. As long as you have a "reset" button to allow idiots to undo their mistakes, there's no harm in letting so-and-so use RMB for moving forward, while John Twinklebottom uses his RMB for aiming.

Cyph3r
08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
There is really no acceptable reason to not allow for rebinding. As long as you have a "reset" button to allow idiots to undo their mistakes, there's no harm in letting so-and-so use RMB for moving forward, while John Twinklebottom uses his RMB for aiming.

Meh, I'm sure if they known this many people would use rmb for run... and John Twinklebottom? Some sort of dis towards people who use default control schemes companies pick? Perhaps some people like it that way. How come it's a horrible act for people to complain about using rmb to run, but you can say crap about other users?

blobzorz3
08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
My dad got me into using RMB for forward back when Quake 2 was out, why change now?

No config files to edit?

Cyph3r
08-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Just tried, still can't change it. Sorry everyone, hope they fix it. (and the configs are encrypted)

IRSmurf
08-24-2010, 12:32 AM
This is weird in the way that some people can't take a deuce without taking all their clothes off.

Seriously. It's the strange.

Terror_Squid
08-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Whoah, still using RMB to go forward?!? Talk about living in the past. Gotta change with times, brother. If you can't adapt, the future is just going to run you over when it arrives.

TimM
08-24-2010, 02:31 AM
... Wow..... really stupid.

Silicon Vampire
08-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Whoah, still using RMB to go forward?!? Talk about living in the past. Gotta change with times, brother. If you can't adapt, the future is just going to run you over when it arrives.

Way to NOT read the thread...

Why would the RMB not be available for doing whatever-the-hell I want it to do? This si a computer game, not a console game. Computers are generally more flexible and good programmers do not limit the control configurations to one specific thing as has been done with this game.

You don't have to play with the config I prefer, why does it matter to you. If you can't be constructive, just don't post.

The RMB binding is so counter-intuitive they way it is set up in this game as to be harmful to my enjoyment of the game.

JamieKirby1981
08-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I can see everyones point of view, i personally have my controls at default and they work fine for me.

Freyar
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Some sort of dis towards people who use default control schemes companies pick?

You're reading way too into it. It was a random name that I pulled out of my "bottom" at the time.

How come it's a horrible act for people to complain about using rmb to run, but you can say crap about other users?It's a horrible act to be complaining about someone being disappointed with the lack of choice. IE: "How dare you be mad!"

jimnms
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Silicon Vampire, I got your PM. Sorry it took so long, I haven't been on the forum in a while.

For anyone else that wants to know how I got it working with AutoHotKey, use the keyboard and bind move forward to the up arrow key by using the keyboard. Then run the .ahk script and the RMB will send an up arrow key when pressed, but only while in Mafia II.

If you run the script and try to press the RMB while in the games key binding, it doesn't work for some reason.

I didn't buy the full version, and I've uninstalled the demo. If they changed the title of the window, ALT-TAB out of the game and see what the window title is, either look at the task bar or the Applications tab of the Task Manager. Change the following line:

to:

#IfWinActive ahk_class NAME_OF_WINDOW_HERE

Silicon Vampire
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I've tried all that and I just can't get it to work. I've verified that AHK is working fine otherwise but it just won't work with this game on my computer.

I have nothing special going on with the mouse, It's just a cheap Belkin Three button USB running through a USB/PS2 adapter. Yeah, yeah, I know. I need to get a better mouse. It's still works fine for me.

I'm a bit frustrated... I tried to play it again today and about 20 minutes is all I can stand.

townparkradio
08-26-2010, 12:40 AM
I've been gaming since the 2600 in 1981 when I was but a wee 4 year old, and you know how _I_ deal with controllers and configurations I don't like which cannot be changed to the ways I like them?

I suck it up and learn to play in more than one way. That there NES controller vs the right handed joystick of the earlier days was a lot bigger hurdle to overcome then you learning to use THREE WHOLE FINGERS to adapt to WASD.

I've never had to strafe right, be running forwards, and open a door all at the same time, and that's about the only thing I can think of RMB as "run forward" would have over WASD. It's time to go ahead and learn new skills, such as using THREE fingers to manipulate controls instead of just two.

....but I sure don't much care for the thought of screwing up my aim trying to use a mouse button for forward motion rather than a weapon usage. Left hand and right brain? Movement. Right hand and left brain? Weaponry.

And don't try and makebelieve a scenario where "everyone" used RMB as move forward in games like Quake and doom and whatnot. Just not so. In fact, the actual true reality of the situation for those games was that since you never had to aim up or down anyway, most of us didn't use a mouse at all. Some people used it, but it died out when WASD proved to offer more utility.

It's time to go ahead and evolve.

Or maybe I should refuse to buy Mafia 2 because they don't support my old CX40, and claim the problem is with the rest of the world and I cannot _possibly_ be the one who won't budge and try new things?

Baldman
08-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Imagine the only possible movement keys were:

print screen, backspace, insert and enter and you couldn't reconfigure those keys.

You wouldn't have a problem with that or find it hard to play? Would you be happy if we all just told you to suck it up and get used to it?

Most of us complaining are mid 20's to 30's and beyond. We've been playing with the same config for longer than most of you have been alive. I don't think its unreasonable at all to ask for this game to add the RMB to the list of configurable keys.

Sure, you might not have a problem with having a different key config for every game. Or having to "reconfigure" your brain to a new keyboard layout depending on which game oyu load up but most of use use the exact same layout for every game we play. RMB Forwarders and WASDers.

jimnms
08-26-2010, 03:16 AM
I've been gaming since the 2600 in 1981 when I was but a wee 4 year old, and you know how _I_ deal with controllers and configurations I don't like which cannot be changed to the ways I like them?

I suck it up and learn to play in more than one way. That there NES controller vs the right handed joystick of the earlier days was a lot bigger hurdle to overcome then you learning to use THREE WHOLE FINGERS to adapt to WASD.

Whooptyfreakindoo. I started gaming on the Atari 2600, moved to PC games on the TRS-80, back consoles with the NES and SNES, then got a 386 and have been exclusively PC gaming since.

I don't get the mentality and hostility of you people who don't want games to allow you to customize the controls how you want. Do you just play with every games default controls? Do you not play more than one game at a time? I use the same controls for all games, so I can switch back and forth without having to remember what key does what.

If all games start to come out with their keys non customizable, are you going to suck it up and learn every game's keys?

Back in the Quake/Quake2 days, I used to get together with 12-20 people every weekend at a local LAN party. Two of the guys in the group played competitively in clans and online tournaments, and they are the reason I adapted my controls (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16519331#post16519331) to the home keys (ASDF). After adapting my keys to what I still use now, I was able to hold my own with them.

I don't play Quake type MP shooters anymore, but I did attend QuakeCon in 2008 and got early access to the beta of Quake Live before and after the event. If you don't know what Quake Live is, it's basically Quake III Arena that is free to play through a browser plugin. After setting up my keys, it only took me a few minutes to get my rhythm back and I was consistently in the top ranks, and I never played Quake III.

....but I sure don't much care for the thought of screwing up my aim trying to use a mouse button for forward motion rather than a weapon usage.

Ah, how I see. Because it doesn't effect you, you don't care. What if this game had the default keys of RMB for forward, and didn't let you use WASD for movement? Would suck it up and adapt, or would you be posting here wanting to know why you can't set your controls the way you're used to?

And don't try and makebelieve a scenario where "everyone" used RMB as move forward in games like Quake and doom and whatnot. Just not so. In fact, the actual true reality of the situation for those games was that since you never had to aim up or down anyway, most of us didn't use a mouse at all. Some people used it, but it died out when WASD proved to offer more utility.

In quake you did have to aim up and down, and it's default mouse settings were RMB = forward, LMB = fire, the keyboard keys were "," = strafe left, "." = strafe right, RShift = jump. If you didn't use a mouse and tried to play MP, you didn't last long.

Or maybe I should refuse to buy Mafia 2 because they don't support my old CX40, and claim the problem is with the rest of the world and I cannot _possibly_ be the one who won't budge and try new things?

You use the default keys, and you say we're the ones that won't try new things? People who won't try to set up custom controls that are better than the default, which will allow them to play a game without getting killed, could be the reason games are becoming dumbed down with things like health regeneration, auto aim, etc.

Some of my friends do use WASD for movement, but they still customize the other keys so the other functions are consistent between games to avoid having to re-adjust when switching. Others use ESDF, which gives them access to more keys for other functions. I even have one friend that uses the arrow keys to move. He holds his hand sort of sideways, and uses is pinky finger to press other keys. It looks awkward, but it works for him and he plays damn good with it. Should they not be allowed to customize the game with their controls either? Or would you say they're not willing to "try new things" too?

doctorpir8
08-26-2010, 07:36 AM
I use customised controls too, and think it's pathetic that they don't even THINK of us in these games. A repost from another thread as it's relevant;

I'm starting to think a few things regarding this trend:

- Micro$oft pays developers to ONLY include failbox controller support, so that we all know we might as well be playing it on a failbox anyway, since we gotta use the interface on our PCs to get any sort of analog control input.
- Developers spend their money hiring several $0.40/hour Indians to spend their time trawling popular forums for complaints about their games and trolling the legitimate concerns of paying customers rather than hiring several more actual developers at $50+/hour to actually fix them. Having said that, these trolls might actually have family members in poverty... I'm not defending corporations for hiring Indians at terrible rates, or insulting Indians for being below the poverty line.

I will gladly go down in the history books as the mater who in charge of making these decisions, given the opportunity.

ironhorseUSMC
08-26-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't get the mentality and hostility of you people who don't want games to allow you to customize the controls how you want.

EXACTLY

these people actually take the time to NOT contribute, but actually defend adamantly that developers provide LESS configuration! lol. All because of one main reason: it does not effect them.

jim, you summarized it the best so far i believe. that other dumb ♥♥♥ couldn't even properly remember that quake DID default to RMB as forward and use invert mouse and that you DID LOOK UP AND DOWN in quake?? (did he even play it?). and i did play competitively for a few years with quake2 and thats the real source of my custom config. too many shortcomings with WASD. bottom line though : its easy to implement and its just laziness not to. if you dont agree or it doesnt effect you, let me know, i can force you to play a stupid configuration that you have to learn while i kick your ♥♥♥ in a death match game of your choice. we'll see how you "suck it up" and how well you "adapt" at the end.

stop trolling and let us post our legitimate complaint of lack of button configuration for a computer game on its appropriate forum. jesus christ... its amazing we even have to defend this.

MustConstruct
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Waahooo a Troll Moderator YES!

passthemayo
08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
XPadder should allow you to easily bind "w" to the RMB. Give it a shot.

ironhorseUSMC
08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Waahooo a Troll Moderator YES!

id love for you to justify this.
he's trolling because he posted in the game's forum that there should be button configuration?? i really dont see how this constitutes as trolling.... unless i misunderstood what these forums are for.

Silicon Vampire
08-26-2010, 11:41 AM
id love for you to justify this.
he's trolling because he posted in the game's forum that there should be button configuration?? i really dont see how this constitutes as trolling.... unless i misunderstood what these forums are for.

I suggest you check his post history. It will become clear...

He's now on our radar.

XPadder should allow you to easily bind "w" to the RMB. Give it a shot.

I'll try it(I'm not spending another $10 to reassign one button that I should be able to within the game.) but I don't want to use "w", I want "up arrow". I want "w" for something else.

I've tried just about everything else. AHK works just fine in every other app I've tried it in but Mafia II seems to ignore it, at least on my machine.

It's really wierd. I've been working with computers/scripting for years and I can't get this simple thing to work. I'd stop complaining if I could something working.

I'd much rather be playing the game but I just can't stand it long enough to even complete a full mission.

passthemayo
08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
I'll try it(I'm not spending another $10 to reassign one button that I should be able to within the game.) but I don't want to use "w", I want "up arrow". I want "w" for something else.

Sorry about that mate, it used to be free. It wouldn't work anyway though. It's intended for customizing gamepads, but I thought you could also use it to customize mouse clicks (apparently not though).

I think I may have found a solution for you though. It's a freeware application called X-Mouse button control. http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

I just tried it to map the RMB to the up arrow, and it worked. I didn't try it in a game, but after I remapped it, when I pushed the RMB it scrolled up on a web page like it would if you pushed the up arrow.

After you download and install it, click on the drop down menu next to where it says "Right Button" and choose "Simulate Keystroke". Then where it says "Enter the custom key(s)" enter in {UP}. Worked like a charm for me.

Good luck.

EDIT: I just tried it with the Mafia II demo and it didn't work. It seems to be preventing the external mapping in the same way is was preventing AutoHotKey from doing it's job. Sorry about that.

Supahfly
08-28-2010, 06:59 AM
I am also using AHK to rebind buttons for games that wont let me do that in the options.
Some games refuse to work with AHK, sadly Mafia 2 is one of them.
I have played the demo, and rebound my strafe keys to q and e.
Works fine on foot, but the steering controls seemed to be hardwired on a and d.
Can someone please confirm that in the full version the keys for steer left and right stick to the binds that you use for strafing?

Thanks muchly

Omi_san
09-01-2010, 03:00 AM
I solved my button configuration problem:

I didn't Buy Mafia II.

ironhorseUSMC
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I solved my button configuration problem:

I didn't Buy Mafia II.

hey alright you found a solution!
oh wait, no you didn't.
well hey thanks for the helpful input on the mat....wait..
nope.. never mind again.

here's to missing out on a game i want because of laziness of devs / lack of configuration for PC players.
(points finger at consoles...."yooouuu ddiiiddd thisss..." :mad:)

Falerix
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Pathetic. I love how elitists who played back in the day think they're better then players now.

Yea, I played Doom. Yea, I couldn't jump. I ADAPTED when we learned to jump, as did others.

Yea, I played Quake. So what? That doesn't make me, or you, or anyone better then others.

So suck it up and learn to play the newer games if they don't form-fit you, it's not the best option, but it's better then whining about it. Plus, you get the added benefit of learning how to play the rest of the new games that came out after DESCENT.

TL;DR Cry me a ♥♥♥♥ing river.

Baldman
09-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Anything done about it yet?

Its easy enough to do in a patch and no doubt they'll get to it at some stage.

sirvijon
09-02-2010, 01:54 AM
RMB to wanlk forward?

i dont have time 4 this nonsense!

Shrink
09-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Gonna chime in here. I have been playing FPS's since Doom and have always used the middle mouse button for forward, RMB for back, left for fire. On the keyboard, I have always used < > for strafing, m for jumping and n for crouching. It should be no problem for game publishers/designers to allow people to configure keys in whatever way they wish.

To say "just adapt" is pretty tough and makes for a miserable game playing experience after 20-odd years of doing this the same way (particularly for old farts such as myself). I have tried different utilities for reassigning keys but none have worked. I wish there was an xml file or cfg file in Mafia 2 that could be edited (I have as of yet found none).

pedal_pusher
09-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Your loss buddy. It's a great game :cool:

Baldman
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Bump for a working fix.

ironhorseUSMC
09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Pathetic. I love how elitists who played back in the day think they're better then players now.

Yea, I played Doom. Yea, I couldn't jump. I ADAPTED when we learned to jump, as did others.

Yea, I played Quake. So what? That doesn't make me, or you, or anyone better then others.

So suck it up and learn to play the newer games if they don't form-fit you, it's not the best option, but it's better then whining about it. Plus, you get the added benefit of learning how to play the rest of the new games that came out after DESCENT.
TL;DR Cry me a ♥♥♥♥ing river.

you ♥♥♥♥. its not about "being better then others"
NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING IN REGARDS TO THIS

so i dont know where you got that from. secondly you are missing the point entirely.. did you even read all the pages before posting?
the purpose of this thread isn't to "whine" its to "request" from the developers and community to find a solution to a problem that obviously doesn't effect you, or any other people who chime in with useless lashing. if the problem doesn't effect you why are you telling others to stop posting? this is a forum and this is where consumers request features from developers and attempt to search for solutions within the community. you know this, i know this, the mods know this...

dont you think if we, the "whiners", could adapt, we already would have? don't you think that would have been an option we already considered perhaps? as the OP has stated he has a neurological disorder and therefore cannot change how he plays. others such as myself have been playing a certain way for some 20 years so its not like its a new "jump" feature we have to learn. every game has different new features. this isn't about "learning to play games after descent" there's nothing to "learn" about basic movement. its about forcing a hard coded configuration on the player thats used to a configurable setup for the past 20 years. its the same basic movement configuration in an FPS that has been the staple and defining factor of ANY game, from 2d to 3d to RTS to MMO to FPS. movement keys and their bindings have remained the same for me, customized to my configuration because that is the standard on pc games.... unlike a lot of console games. (They're getting better at it)

so if adapting is so easy, lets play a competitive shooter - your pick - and you play with my controls. back it up with a live skype webcam so i can witness you using my control config and lets see you stand by your theory. I'll bet $50 through paypal i mop the floor with you. (again this isn't about being "better" its about you standing by your theory of how easy it is to adapt)

VinnieMc
09-05-2010, 01:15 AM
You can use "AutoHotKey" to remap the keys. I use it for LMB turn left (driving) and RMB turn right.
You can actually map the mouse buttons to a letter and in options assign the letter to a control.
So in AutoHotkey I assign LMB = z and RMB = Y
I assign Z to turn left and y to turn right.
The game still thinks LMB and RMB are fire etc and that still works. So can shoot plus drive the way I want. If you leave the mouse controls alone when configuring and just assign the AutoHotkey letters to what you want, the native mouse controls still function as normal, Best of both worlds.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Autohotkey setup.

Create a text file and call it; "Mafia 2.ahk"
paste the text below into it and save.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#InstallMouseHook
#InstallKeybdHook

RButton::Y
LButton::Z

Click the file or run it in AutoHotkey prior to running the game.

Should work for your forward movement ...

Hope it does bud as it is a great game and a blast to play!!..

Vinnie

ironhorseUSMC
02-24-2011, 01:03 PM
anyone know whether this was ever patched?

being able to bind movement to RMB.

i never bought it because of this, as AHK never seemed to want to work with it properly.