PDA

View Full Version : Why no Steam Cloud?

acare84
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi, I just bought the game but I saw it isn't using Steam Cloud. I hope you can add this feature with the update. I have PC and notebook and it would be good to keep my character on Steam servers. :)

searanox
08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see this feature, but judging by how much support the other Puzzle games got on PC... uh, yeah, we're lucky to even have achievements.

Moldavia
08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
heck your lucky to even have the game so soon on pc lol

mayo
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi, this is something we considered adding during development, but the technical limitations stopped us from adding it at the time. Valve recently changed some of the limitations, and we're currently thinking about adding Cloud support in an update.

I suggest joining the official Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/games/PQ2), if we add Steam Cloud support we'll announce it there.

Tent
08-13-2010, 05:31 AM
I would love cloud support.
Switch between PC and laptop multiple times a day.

nelso125
08-13-2010, 06:04 AM
we're currently thinking about adding Cloud support in an update.

Please do this! Spent my first hour having a blast and the cloud would be awesome for this game. In my opinion, this is more important than the one-click dragging (I say again; my opinion). Please do it!

badtrane
08-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi, this is something we considered adding during development, but the technical limitations stopped us from adding it at the time. Valve recently changed some of the limitations, and we're currently thinking about adding Cloud support in an update.

I suggest joining the official Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/games/PQ2), if we add Steam Cloud support we'll announce it there.

Thank you.

Chris Fifty-Two
08-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Would love to have Steam Cloud as I use two computers to play my games and had planned to both play PQ2 while travelling and when I am at home. You would make my experience much nicer if you could include the feature.

Dipso
08-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I would love cloud support as this is definately the kind of game that i play on both my pc and my laptop.

nelso125
08-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Any updates on this request?

KiasuBurger
08-17-2010, 04:53 PM
I see a cloud icon in steam now so the backend is enabled but the game still needs to be patched to actually use it.

nmcveity
08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I see a cloud icon in steam now so the backend is enabled but the game still needs to be patched to actually use it.

This is correct, we are testing it.

DrakenLord
08-18-2010, 02:01 AM
This is correct, we are testing it.
I also use my laptop + desktop computer to play, and cloud would be awesome. Actually it is a vital feature that should really be there already.

One consideration though : I have a sorcerer on my desktop and an assassin on my desktop. Once you enable cloud, please do not make us lose characters or progress... you could provide us with instructions on how to "fuse" all our character savegames into a single one, assuming coding it would be too hard or time consuming.

Thank you!

Dipso
08-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Is there any estimated time on when we get this patched in?

nmcveity
08-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Dipso, no ETA yet. We've talked to Valve about integrating it and its going to happen but theres some specifics and testing that needs to happen first.

You CAN be assured it is a priority though, as I grow tired of gmailing my save to and from home, work and the laptop.

@ DrakenLord:

1. Yes, the cloud should have been supported from the first version.
2. When it is supported, the cloud will merge different heroes together safely. If you have two heroes with the same save file name then steam will ALWAYS prompt you to select the up-to-date version.

Chris Fifty-Two
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
You should contact steam and have them make your name green as other developers. Makes it a lot easier to see your comments.

Really happy to see that you are making progress with this as I, just like DrakenLord, have one character on each of my PC's at the time. Been too much work transferring them over so been playing them separately depending on what PC I was on.

Poseidon88
08-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Awesome. Glad to see this is in the works. The game runs great on my netbook, and it would be nice to have my progress propagated to my desktop machine.

Dipso
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Where is the save files located? In the meantime i can use Windows Live Sync to sync the saves. :)

mayo
08-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Where is the save files located? In the meantime i can use Windows Live Sync to sync the saves. :)

In Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Namco\Puzzle Quest 2\saves

In Windows Vista/7:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Namco\Puzzle Quest 2\saves

Windows usually hides the AppData folder, make sure you can view hidden files and folders on your PC.

Rash_Ktah
08-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Cloud support will be awesome, I can't wait. :)

UseTheForks
08-26-2010, 06:11 AM
I see that this is already in progress, but I also want to voice my support for steam cloud in PQ2, it was a real bummer being restricted to one machine for PQ1, although it was thoroughly awesome for killing time between meetings.

Gargos
08-29-2010, 09:10 AM
I just created a cloud save games folder using "Dropbox". It isn't hard to implement "steam cloud" for this type of games...They win a -1 buy...:mad:

Bronyaur
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I just created a cloud save games folder using "Dropbox". It isn't hard to implement "steam cloud" for this type of games...They win a -1 buy...:mad:

No offense mate, but are you a game developer? I am a professional and I love it when people in my own company say "It isn't hard to implement [fill in the blank]", let alone consumers of my product. If you know what you're talking about then back it up. If you don't then... :confused:

Dipso
08-30-2010, 07:37 AM
No offense mate, but are you a game developer? I am a professional and I love it when people in my own company say "It isn't hard to implement [fill in the blank]", let alone consumers of my product. If you know what you're talking about then back it up. If you don't then... :confused:

Actually he kinda did. Using dropbox or windows live sync you can do this yourself for almost any game as is. (I have used it previously to keep saves for rpgs i play both on my laptop and home pc in sync.)

I haven't read through the steam api documents in that much detail, but i think the cloud stuff is "fairly easy" to implement, as valve has the tech and backend ready for implementation. Especially if the game uses save files, you just have to add the code to send the files to the cloud on save/quit, and retrieve them on load. The backend does the rest (Keeping track of save times and backup versions in case something goes wrong.)

There is probably a bit of red tape and compatibility testing + QA involved though, so that might take time. Either way its a bit of a redundant discussion as the devs have said that Steam Cloud IS comming to PQ2.

Gargos
08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Actually he kinda did. Using dropbox or windows live sync you can do this yourself for almost any game as is. (I have used it previously to keep saves for rpgs i play both on my laptop and home pc in sync.)

I haven't read through the steam api documents in that much detail, but i think the cloud stuff is "fairly easy" to implement, as valve has the tech and backend ready for implementation. Especially if the game uses save files, you just have to add the code to send the files to the cloud on save/quit, and retrieve them on load. The backend does the rest (Keeping track of save times and backup versions in case something goes wrong.)

There is probably a bit of red tape and compatibility testing + QA involved though, so that might take time. Either way its a bit of a redundant discussion as the devs have said that Steam Cloud IS comming to PQ2.

I just created a hyperlink from my dropbox to the savegame folder on both computers. The games are automaticly save/load with every change to the files. You can keep on eye to the logs if you do any bad move on a saved game "wrong stats, sell an item..." but, it`s no need, just play.

PS: Sorry if I offended someone. If certainly don`t mean it.

mayo
08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
As I stated earlier in this thread:

...this is something we considered adding during development, but the technical limitations stopped us from adding it at the time. Valve recently changed some of the limitations...

Steam Cloud is currently being implemented for the patch.

mayo
09-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone!

Steam Cloud is now supported for Puzzle Quest 2 save files (see news update (http://store.steampowered.com/news/4326/)). We've worked with Valve to add Cloud support for the save files in Puzzle Quest 2, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix, Puzzle Chronicles and Puzzle Kingdoms without having to patch any of these games.

CynicalNinja
09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Very nice! I've tested it out with Puzzle Quest 1 and 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms - they're all working great.

Seriously, thank you so much for this. It was such a pain having to constantly transfer save files from my PC to my netbook over and over.

A bit off-topic: is the Revenge of the Plague Lord expansion for the original Puzzle Quest ever coming to Steam? I would buy that in a heartbeat.

mayo
09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Very nice! I've tested it out with Puzzle Quest 1 and 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms - they're all working great.

Seriously, thank you so much for this. It was such a pain having to constantly transfer save files from my PC to my netbook over and over.
Thanks! It wouldn't be possible without Valve's help, so we should be thanking them too.

A bit off-topic: is the Revenge of the Plague Lord expansion for the original Puzzle Quest ever coming to Steam? I would buy that in a heartbeat.
That's the publisher's call, I'm afraid. Ask D3. We (the developer) are solely concentrating on support for the PC version of PQ2 atm, as well as development of the PSP version of PQ2.

gurkoz
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Good to see the Cloud support! Again Thanks!

On a different note, since you are developing a PSP version of PQ2, how about a PS3 version? Looks like im buying it for the PC but i'd buy a second copy right away if it where available on the PS3.

CptWasp
09-09-2010, 12:20 AM
The cloud is not working for me on PQ2. I bought it yesterday, tried on 2 PCs and the heroes are not there. Should I "activate" it in some manner?

jake_farrell
09-09-2010, 04:01 AM
CptWasp.. did you started the game with one char, saved it AFTER cloud was "activiated" ?
if not, try it..

for me : cloud works perfectly for pq2 ( tryed even uninstalling pq2 and after re-installing of pq2 my chars came back from the cloud )

CptWasp
09-09-2010, 04:20 AM
it seems is doesn't upload to the cloud after closing the game, in the steam preferences the cloud is empty (0 bytes)...

jake_farrell
09-09-2010, 04:57 AM
thats strange..

did you try deactivate cloud for pq2 in your settings, restart steam and activate it again ?

if that not helps, did you have other "cloud-games" that are "working" ?

CptWasp
09-09-2010, 06:31 AM
GREAT! your suggestion was OK, it worked resetting the flag, restarting steam and re-enabling the cloud. Thank you VERY much.

jake_farrell
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
np and great that it worked :)