PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to force native resolution in the original?

Louisville15
08-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know how to force the native resolution in Doom, without downloading any mods or anything like that? I'd like to play the game exactly how it was when I was little, but full screen is annoyingly blocky and alt+enter results in a tiny screen that can't be adjusted. Does anyone know how to get it running in the native resolution? I don't mind if it's windowed, as long as I can see, lol.

antdude
08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
IIRC, original DOOM DOS was at 320x240 resolution. Yep, that tiny. You just need to find a way to force it at that. Just remember that some video cards and LCD monitor like to stretch to fullscreen when using fullscreen. :(

Mau1wurf1977
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Of course it's blocky :-D

The game is like 10 years old...

I do use that skull something something tool to play doom. It's still the same game and you will still get that nostalgic feeling, but it's way more fun than the DosBox version.

Dark_090
08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
You really can't because for the most part the game used sprites and not 3d models, that's like trying to turn a 250x250 picture into 1080p, it's not gonna look pretty.

Winterkid
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Of course it's blocky :-D

The game is like 10 years old...

More like 16 or 17 years old. The only way is with either a source port, or with a DOS emulator like DOSBOX (I think Steam's is set up this way)

I prefer the source port version as the resolution can be set slightly higher for a more rich experience. Most source ports, you can disable all the advanced features and set it to the original style and look most of the time. You can even set it to use the mouse and keyboard a LOT easier than with the old id SETUP.EXE program they included with the game.

My favorite is Doomsday, but there is all sorts, like PrBoom, MacDoom (I think that's the name), DOOM95 (the original Windows Source port) and lots others. I think the Doomwiki might have all the info you need.

You can run it in 1080, but it's gonna be stretched to the monitor and old DOS applications only use pixel doubling for higher resolutions. I don't know how
DOSBOX handles them.

antdude
08-18-2010, 06:33 AM
More like 16 or 17 years old.First shareware version, of DOOM episode 1, came out on 12/10/1993. Yes, I remember that stuck in my brain because I was there to witness that day. Yes, I am that old. :(

Louisville15
08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
You really can't because for the most part the game used sprites and not 3d models, that's like trying to turn a 250x250 picture into 1080p, it's not gonna look pretty.

Oh I know, I don't have a problem running the game at its intended resolution, but alt+enter results in a window that is absolutely tiny, and I can't resize it. I'm not looking for 1080p, but I don't want it stretched full screen either.

ARKaMAN
08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
ZDoom how DOOM should be played. It includes many many options including the Resolution change you looking for.

http://zdoom.org/Download :cool:

antdude
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
ZDoom how DOOM should be played. It includes many many options including the Resolution change you looking for.

http://zdoom.org/Download :cool:I still prefer Doomsday for its non-sprite graphics. I would like to see both projects merged. [grin]

ARKaMAN
08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I still prefer Doomsday for its non-sprite graphics. I would like to see both projects merged. [grin]

On DOOM 3 there are DOS DOOM levels recreated. It's really well done. You should check it out unless your a DOS DOOM purest. :D

antdude
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
On DOOM 3 there are DOS DOOM levels recreated. It's really well done. You should check it out unless your a DOS DOOM purest. :DThis one, right? http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3 ... If so, then I finished it many years ago. :)

ARKaMAN
08-19-2010, 01:41 PM
This one, right? http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3 ... If so, then I finished it many years ago. :)

Yea I think that's the one. Its been awhile since I have played it.

antdude
08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Yea I think that's the one. Its been awhile since I have played it.Ah, I remember there was a nasty crash bug in E1M6 (Central Processing) in the trap room with the red key: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/E1M6:_Central_Processing_(Doom) ... :) I also have Sonic's soundtracks who made them for this mod. ;)

wteSmithy
10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
First shareware version, of DOOM episode 1, came out on 12/10/1993. Yes, I remember that stuck in my brain because I was there to witness that day. Yes, I am that old. :(

I was in my second year of comp, year 9, and remember getting DOOM setup in DOS over the school network with my floppy's and gaming with friends. It was great as that was the schools first networked game (teachers didn't know because I was in charge the odd day after school hours, *cough* he was liaison with another teacher).

The game suited those old CRTs which only managed 640x480, thats why on our big monitors it looks terrible, much like Standard Definition does on 50"+ TVs. Even back then I hated Doom's midi sound (no soundcards back then for us) but it brings all back. Shame Worms didn't have networking back then, everyone loved that!

antdude
10-31-2010, 06:50 PM
I was in my second year of comp, year 9, and remember getting DOOM setup in DOS over the school network with my floppy's and gaming with friends. It was great as that was the schools first networked game (teachers didn't know because I was in charge the odd day after school hours, *cough* he was liaison with another teacher).

The game suited those old CRTs which only managed 640x480, thats why on our big monitors it looks terrible, much like Standard Definition does on 50"+ TVs. Even back then I hated Doom's midi sound (no soundcards back then for us) but it brings all back. Shame Worms didn't have networking back then, everyone loved that!Also, we had smaller CRTs so those pixels didn't look bad. ;) Hehe, DOOM used IPX/SPX IIRC for LAN. Then, serial including dialup. Then, DWANGO, SirDOOM, Kali, etc. ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idsoftware/doom*/ was the place to be for DOOM stuff. :D

I remember buying a Creative Labs' WaveBlaster II daughtercard just to have music! Haha. Man, I heard GUS MIDI, oh my. Big differences. Now, I have the real tunes (MP3s) from Robert Prince's MIDI. Fun times back then! :)

wteSmithy
10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I remember buying a Creative Labs' WaveBlaster II daughtercard just to have music! Haha. Man, I heard GUS MIDI, oh my. Big differences. Now, I have the real tunes (MP3s) from Robert Prince's MIDI. Fun times back then! :)

It was in 1998 when I bought my first soundcard, a Creative Sound Blaster Live soundcard, that featured 64 MIDI voices and onboard sound processor for real sound effects, leaps and bounds back then. The best MIDI sounds were always the rock sounds of DOOM or dance tunes from various games, mainly pinball for me.

It was fun because of the rapid progression of gaming (Half-Life the biggy) and technology moving from just doing work/work processing to making/playing games. There was massive stigma back then for gaming but we were ahead of out time... hope you moved with the times too, you nerd you :P

antdude
10-31-2010, 07:37 PM
It was in 1998 when I bought my first soundcard, a Creative Sound Blaster Live soundcard, that featured 64 MIDI voices and onboard sound processor for real sound effects, leaps and bounds back then. The best MIDI sounds were always the rock sounds of DOOM or dance tunes from various games, mainly pinball for me.

It was fun because of the rapid progression of gaming (Half-Life the biggy) and technology moving from just doing work/work processing to making/playing games. There was massive stigma back then for gaming but we were ahead of out time... hope you moved with the times too, you nerd you :PYep, I even made two DOOM mods for fun back then: http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html (still up). :)

Funny, today's games aren't so hot for me. Maybe because I am an old fart, don't have free time, etc. :(

wteSmithy
11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
antdude, well done on those mods. Any thoughts on making those for Doom3?

Funny, today's games aren't so hot for me. Maybe because I am an old fart, don't have free time, etc. :(

Could be because back then distribution was just among friends and when you made a game/mod you were seen as cool back then. Now however, everyone seems to have dabbled with it and could lessen the appeal. The quality from amateurs now is very good. They look very professional, this could put off people thinking about giving it - the effect/time needed to reach those exacting standards may be beyond anyone but pure hobbyists . Better to try than never try at all.

antdude
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
antdude, well done on those mods. Any thoughts on making those for Doom3?...Nope. No time for gaming at all these days since I am old fart. Work, tired out, etc. I don't have a lot of free time like when I was young as a teenager. :(