PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial "How to play Doom 3 in widescreen and custom resolutions"

biosim
08-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Some people are still having some issues with resolutions in Doom 3... It's simple, just with some commands you can play with any resolution.

*First, start the game
*Put your desired graphical settings (Low, High, Ultra...)
*Open the console pressing Ctrl+Alt+' (or ^, for some keyboards)
*Type in the console these commands:

r_mode -1
r_aspectRatio 2
r_customHeight XXXX (or your desired Height resolution)
r_customWidth XXXX (your desired Widht resolution)
vid_restart

*It will be aplied immediately, these two r_customHeight and Width commands you can change to your custom resolution like r_customHeight 1050 and r_customWidth 1680

Tip: After choose the graphical settings, put any resolution, but in window mode. In that mode, you can just copy and paste de comands on the console!

OBSđ: The r_aspectRatio command you can change to fit you screen, just put the numer according your screen:

r_aspectRatio 0 = 4:3
r_aspectRatio 1 = 16:9
r_aspectRatio 2 = 16:10

OBSē: The r_mode is -1 because it's the number of the custom resolution, see how works:

r_mode = -1 enables customs resolutions
r_mode 0 = 320x240
r_mode 1 = 400x300
r_mode 2 = 512x384
r_mode 3 = 640x480
r_mode 4 = 800x600
r_mode 5 = 1024x768
r_mode 6 = 1152x864
r_mode 7 = 1280x1024
r_mode 8 = 1600x1200

If there's any mistake in the text, just warn me, i'm brazilian.

wazups 2x
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Just create an autoexec.cfg, it's much easier because your setting will always stay.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\base

Create an autoexec.cfg

seta r_mode -1
seta r_aspectRatio 1 (0 = 4:3, 1 = 16:9, 2 = 16:10)
seta r_customHeight 768 (Your screen height)
seta r_customWidth 1360 (Your screen width)
com_allowconsole 1

And DONE. Simple as that.

ERADEEJAY
08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
very usefull, Sticky please.

This is the right way for the autoexec.cfg

seta r_mode -1
seta r_aspectRatio 1 //(0 = 4:3, 1 = 16:9, 2 = 16:10)
seta r_customHeight 768 //(Your screen height)
seta r_customWidth 1360 //(Your screen width)
com_allowconsole 1

And for Doom 3 SoE, the same thing but in this folder

...\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\d3xp\

DOOMJESUS
08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
try the doomconfig file first, it worked fine for me.

wazups 2x
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM
try the doomconfig file first, it worked fine for me.

No, you don't want to edit the doomconfig or your settings wont stay. You need to create a autoexex.cfg.

DOOMJESUS
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
No, you don't want to edit the doomconfig or your settings wont stay. You need to create a autoexex.cfg.

as i said it works fine for me, game after game.

you folks are wrong to think it's going to be the same for everybody.:confused:

the ONLY time steam will screw it up is if you check the file cache. even leaving it set to auto update does not effect this on my system.

wazups 2x
08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
as i said it works fine for me, game after game.

you folks are wrong to think it's going to be the same for everybody.:confused:

the ONLY time steam will screw it up is if you check the file cache. even leaving it set to auto update does not effect this on my system.

I'm talking if you change any of your video settings in-game than it will remove the resolution you set in the doomconfig. It is that way for everyone, it's not some random thing, it's a fact.

Creating an autoexec is always the better solution because your settings will not ever change.

DOOMJESUS
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm talking if you change any of your video settings in-game than it will remove the resolution you set in the doomconfig. It is that way for everyone, it's not some random thing, it's a fact.

Creating an autoexec is always the better solution because your settings will not ever change.

why then, if it isn't necessary?

that just means you will have to re-edit that file if, for any reason you want to drop back a res. so it's not necessarily a better route, if the setting is kept using the doomconfig file then that is the preferred method.

wazups 2x
08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
why then, if it isn't necessary?

that just means you will have to re-edit that file if, for any reason you want to drop back a res. so it's not necessarily a better route, if the setting is kept using the doomconfig file then that is the preferred method.

Uh, I don't think you get it. The autoexec is permanent, the doomconfig is not. If you want to tone down some graphics or change some setting around in-game your resolution setting will be lost with the doomconfig. However, if you do it with the autoexec they will still be saved.

And saying you have to edit the autoexec to drop the res make no sense. You have to do the same thing for the doomconfig.

You should only be using the autoexec, using the doomconfig make absolutely no sense.

biosim
08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I prefer to put in console, because it's aplied direcly in the own game, not by a external file that forces the .exe to load that setting...

ERADEEJAY
08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
lol.....lol.... and.... lol....

best way autoexec.cfg, but if you want to search specific lines in the file its ok...

Do you have more games?, bcause if the game have steam cloud you canīt edit the config.cfg, you know what is a script?...

how autoexec.cfg work?... simple... Run the game, the game reads autoextec.cfg and put that settings in the config.cfg, then the game loads, and not forces any .exe... lol

And in the future if you lost your config and donīt remember what lines to edit you donīt have to google again

derpburp
08-21-2010, 05:52 PM
This does not work for me. I also have retail. Should I apply patches and then this should work. Also with the patches I have Doom 3 doesn't start. I am running Win7 64, are there special patches I should use?

Dubsteptonic
08-22-2010, 12:58 AM
very usefull, Sticky please.

This is the right way for the autoexec.cfg

seta r_mode -1
seta r_aspectRatio 1 //(0 = 4:3, 1 = 16:9, 2 = 16:10)
seta r_customHeight 768 //(Your screen height)
seta r_customWidth 1360 //(Your screen width)
com_allowconsole 1

And for Doom 3 SoE, the same thing but in this folder

...\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\d3xp\

So I've made the autoexec but the main menu stays in 640x800ish, in game it looks like a higher resolution, not sure if it's 1680x1050 or not. Is this normal? Also is the fov adjustable at all?

derpburp
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
So I've made the autoexec but the main menu stays in 640x800ish, in game it looks like a higher resolution, not sure if it's 1680x1050 or not. Is this normal? Also is the fov adjustable at all?
This.

ArmyOfDarkstep
09-14-2010, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=wazups 2x;16583317]
QUOTE]

For ♥♥♥♥'s sake! Thank you. How is it that none of the other guides I found on the net mentioned the dir? I just wasted 20 min screwing around with the ROE cfg, wondering why nothing worked.

kalirion
09-15-2010, 10:46 PM
The only issue I have with the widescreen is that the flashlight shines off-center. Otherwise 1920x1080 works great.

=DirtY*DawG=
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM

The main menu, console, all that will appear low res. In options it will even say 640x480 however it is not. All of it actually is in high res.(whatever custom res you made) Really, take a screenshot and have a look for yourself ;)

LoL at all the Autoexec vs Doomcfg debates as it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever which way, they both work. An autoexec is not necessary. Some prefer it which is fine (honestly who cares lol) Mine are set in the Doomcfg and it all works splendidly. Doom 3 looks AWESOME in high res widescreen wow

deadite4
10-10-2010, 08:10 AM
yes both configs will work. Doom 3 loads both doomconfig and autoexec at start up. The only difference is in autoexec, the settings will not get over written unless you change it. Doom 3 only writes config info to the doomconfig, but unless you change settings in Doom 3, your doomconfig won't change either, so...

cheers

mikeopam
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Changing the Doomconfig.cfg will only work the first time you do it but the next time you play the game it will not work. Some settings change such as "r_mode -1". After exiting the game, it will switch back to whatever res was set in the game menu. Since the game menu does not include any widescreen resolutions, it will not be widescreen the next time you play.

To make it where you don't have to edit each time, create the autoexec.cfg. The settings in there are permanent.

In mine I use.
r_mode -1
r_customwidth 1920
r_customheight 1080
r_aspectratio 1

Of the above settings, all will stick in the DoomConfig.cfg except "r_mode -1". Problem is if that one changes, you lose your widescreen.

Yeowj
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Why isn't this stickied?

OmegaXtreme420
11-16-2010, 07:34 AM
sweet I forgot how to do all this thanks

lawbreaker
12-20-2010, 11:19 PM
man i'd really love to play doom 3 in 1920x1080, but i have no idea how to create an autoexec.cfg. would somebody tell me how exactly to do that please? thanks.

mikeopam
12-20-2010, 11:56 PM
open Notepad and paste in what I put a couple of posts ago in it. Save it as "autoexec.cfg" (without quotes) in the Doom 3\base folder

lawbreaker
12-21-2010, 12:19 AM
o.k. i'll try it out, thanks for the quick reply.

mikeopam
12-21-2010, 12:49 AM
After doing this, make sure you do not try to change the resolution in the game. The game is still going to be showing the last resolution that was set in the game menu even though it's actually now 1920x1080 (if you did the autoexec right).

lawbreaker
12-21-2010, 01:28 AM
yeah it works great thanks, i was almost done with my old game but screw it i'm starting over. after all these years i'm surprised by how good this game still looks. it really looks sharp seeing it in my native resolution.

mikeopam
12-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Yep still a great looking game even now, especially at that res.

Pumpgunner
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
A little part (50x1200) of the right side of the game can't get rendered since I can see my desktop there. ANy solution for this problem?

CyruS JumpjeT
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM
This fix works great for changing the resolution, but is there also a command to throw in there to enable anti-aliasing? Each time I change it in-game, the setting won't stick. And this game is just begging for some AA to clean up those jaggies.

Any advice?

ZeroSignal
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't bother with the autoexec. Just enter the custom resolution and set r_mode to -1. It will stick. The only way it will change is if you change the detail settings (low, medium, high, ultra) or the resolution. If you leave those alone, it wont change.

Pumpgunner
12-31-2010, 03:48 AM
*bump with picture*

A little part (50x1200) of the right side of the game won't get rendered since I can see my desktop there. Help would be appreciated.

Problem (http://s7.directupload.net/images/101231/tgbpxflg.png)

Got a 16:10 Samsung monitor

my config:
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1900"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectRatio "2"

Mateos
12-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Right clic on Doom 3, Properties, Startup Options:
+disconnect +set com_allowconsole 1 +set r_mode -1 +set r_customWidth 1024 +set r_customHeight 576 +set r_aspectratio 1

It disables the intro video, allow you to open the console just by hitting ~ or ē one time instead of CTRL + ALT + ~/ē, and the other ones are described in the first post.

Note that other games under this engine have same commands, I know Enemy Territory supports all except +disconnect and the aspect ratio one.

Pumpgunner
12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
ok, I found the problem. It seems like that Doom can't handle a resolution of 1900x1200. So I had to lower the values to 1680x1050 and now it's working!

HalloweenMan
01-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Just wanted to say thanks. This worked perfectly for me.

megalodon_nl
08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't bother with the autoexec. Just enter the custom resolution and set r_mode to -1. It will stick. The only way it will change is if you change the detail settings (low, medium, high, ultra) or the resolution. If you leave those alone, it wont change.

If you only play Doom3 SP, then it's OK but for people who play several mods and ROE, a config file is best. Especially when you use different settings in multiplayer then in SP.

megalodon_nl
08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=wazups 2x;16583317]
QUOTE]

For ♥♥♥♥'s sake! Thank you. How is it that none of the other guides I found on the net mentioned the dir? I just wasted 20 min screwing around with the ROE cfg, wondering why nothing worked.

The answer to that is pretty simple: all of those guides out there were NOT targeted at Steam users because, at the time of writing those guides, those games were NOT available via Steam. On top of that, most Doom and Quake players do NOT use Steam, because they purchased the cd/dvd.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that new people want to play those older games, but at the same time it's pretty amazing to witness how a lot of Steam users are so ignorant, that they can't even recognize a similar folder structure. I mean, when you look at the folder structure in a guide which reads "doom 3\base" is it really that hard to place "\Steam\steamapps\common\" in front of it? Or perhaps you never knew where your Steam folder was located and therefore didn't even freaking knew where your games were installed in the first place? So who's really to blame here? The guide writers or yourself?

nikavelli
08-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Baffling how after all this time, some people still don't get it. Let's clear some things up right now:

THE STEAM VERSION OF DOOM 3 IS THE SAME AS THE NON-STEAM VERSION. SAME EXECUTABLE, SAME BASE FILES, SAME CONFIGS, SAME EVERYTHING. IT IS IDENTICAL. Exit Steam, go into Program Files > Steam > SteamApps > Common > Doom 3. You can still launch Doom 3 with Steam closed if you're that anul about it.

There are multiple ways to change your resolution to widescreen, all of which work. You can add commands to your command line option or Doom 3.exe icon. You can manually edit them in you DoomConfig.cfg file or you can create a AutoExec file and put the commands in there. They all work and it makes no real difference which way you choose.

When you change to widescreen resolution, and you launch the game, it will say 640x480. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE GAME IS RUNNING 640x480. IT IS A DISPLAY BUG. Your game is actually running at a higher resolution and you can verify this by either pushing buttons on your monitor to show what resolution you're using OR by opening your console and scrolling through the log, it will say what resolution is being used. You shouldn't have to do this anyways, the difference should be obvious. If you can't tell then you need to get your eyes checked.

Please remember this game is over 7 years old, when widescreen monitors were still in their infancy. The widescreen fix is more or less a hack. When you use it, the HUD (including crosshair) and menus will be stretched. It is a minor thing and not very noticeable, you get used to it after a while. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE GAME IS STRETCHED. The game itself is actually rendering in the resolution you choose, without upscaling.

I hope this helps people understand cause it's annoying having to read all these threads/post from people saying "THE WIDESCREEN FIX DOESN'T WORK", which is B.S. I've done this fix with non-steam Doom 3 and steam Doom 3 and it works everytime, as have other people. There's no logical explanation why it shouldn't work on your system unless you're inputting the commands wrong. No need to download mods to get widescreen to work, that's ridiculous.

Majorfoley
11-26-2011, 05:11 PM
THESE METHODS BOTH WORK WITH STEAM!
Ok guys both your methods work. Via the doomconfig and an auto exec config.
You want to know what causes the problem?
The anti aliasing part of it
Doom 3 will not work with either of these options if you set AA in the options to 16x or try to use the config command
seta r_multiSamples "x"

These methods only support up to 8x which is still good enough for me
If you want to use 16 you have to keep using the console despite what you enter in the Autoexec.cfg or doomconfig.cfg

If you wish to use doomconfig.cfg make sure to find and edit these lines
r_mode "-1" (this allows custom resolutions)
seta r_multiSamples "8" (this is for 8x AA)
seta r_aspectRatio "1" (this is for 16:9 aspect ratio and i believe 2 is for 16:10)
r_customwidth "1920" (resolution change)
r_customheight "1080" (resolution change)

When creating a autoexec.cfg put these lines in it and make sure its saved in doom3/base folder
r_mode "-1"
r_aspectratio "1"
r_customwidth "1920"
r_customheight "1080"
seta r_multiSamples "8"

I hope this helps everyone.

mad_gernader
12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
I just use this custom mainmenu
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/addons/6th-venoms-doom3-hq-mainmenu

It looks nicer, and they added widescreen resolutions to the options menu...

Majorfoley
12-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I just use this custom mainmenu
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/addons/6th-venoms-doom3-hq-mainmenu

It looks nicer, and they added widescreen resolutions to the options menu...

Nice method xD for those who dont wanna use mods or whatever. nice find

SpectralShade
12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
I just had to dig this one up again after I had forgotten how to get widescreen support when I started it again to do Ressurection of Evil.

Could we get the thread stickied so it's easy to spot how to do this without having to dig up the info?

ZigZagFox
12-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Just create an autoexec.cfg, it's much easier because your setting will always stay.

Create an autoexec.cfg

And DONE. Simple as that.

Thank you so much. I've been wondering how to fix that for a while now. :cool: