PDA

View Full Version : tracking duration played with doom classic

adrive
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
is this even possible? i've come across threads mentioning it's because that it's dosbox..so we can't really track the time.
or perhaps we're able to use other clients that steam would still track its duration played?

If it's possible it's something that i would love to have in the future.

Winterkid
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
The only way I could see this being possible would be if Steam made their OWN port of the Doom Source code and incorporated Steamworks tracking in it...

Which gives rise to the question... what other goodies could VALVe/Steam put in their own port of the Doom Source for the Steam version of Doom?

Steam tracking of time played/ most used weapon/ Multiplayer setup including Steam name and Avatar?
Steam-based network support, including VoIP, messging?
Steam interface-based online database of WADs/ map views/ Info?
Access to alternate audio sources for in-game playback? MP3/OGG?
Steam overlay access to Doom's setup/config/music/game content and reset?

Seeing as ID gets all the money from Steam sales of Doom and Doom II anyway, a Source Port with Steam features might actually increase Sales of Doom and Doom 2 even more.

antdude
08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Not just tracking time, I wonder why classic DOOM don't use achievements. :P

Winterkid
08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
It could, but I highly doubt anyone it going to bother to code a version that takes advantage of them, especially since Steam probably doesn't want to mess with source ports of their own. I think that's why they just stuck DOSBOX on it.

wteSmithy
10-31-2010, 07:28 PM
It has to be launched directly from Steam to give you your gaming hours and/or steam overlay for web browsing.

A while back I used Pure Faction application for launching Red Faction 1 and 2 in widescreen, and other enhanced settings - it never tracked them.

If it really matter to you that you can track your game hours, then use the popular XFire which supports most games, no matter how you launch them. I'm sure people will their own suggestions, but that is mine because I've used it for many, many years.