PDA

View Full Version : Pre-order items. Skins? or different weapons?

Syncourt
08-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Just interested to know if anybody has any idea if these pre-order weapons are just re-skins of equivalent weapons built into the game? Or are they new weapons entirely?

I don't really want a game where unique weapons are exclusive to DLC and pre-order bonuses. I would be rather shocked if SD went in this direction. :confused:

TheFirstZenith
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
From this page (http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/17/brink-pre-order-bonuses-announced/), it seems like a few are skins and a few are "exclusive weapons" :S

The Spec Ops Pack, available when you pre-order through Walmart or Steam, contains:
• Exclusive weapon: the “Hockler” Machine-Pistol

The Psycho Pack, when you pre-order through Amazon.com or Direct2Drive, contains:
• Exclusive weapon: the “Caesar” Revolver

The Fallout Pack, available when you pre-order through Best Buy, contains:
• Exclusive Vault 101 (Security) and Fallout New Vegas Vault Boy (Resistance) customized skins for the CARB-9 SMG

The DOOM Pack, available when you pre-order through GameStop, contains:
• Exclusive UAC (Security) and Cacodemon (Resistance) customized skins for the Bulpdaun SMG

JamesHowlett
08-20-2010, 12:22 AM
If you're worried about people who pre-ordering running around with guns other people can't, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The reasons being that the only weaps are handguns (a machine pistol and a revolver) the other guns are just skins. From what's obvious in FPS games, people usually use SMG, Rifles, and maybe switch to their pistol instead of reloading or if they're out of ammo. I know I won't be using the machine-pistol I'm getting that much, when there's smgs and other more powerful guns.

EddieZaic
08-20-2010, 02:08 AM
I wonder if there will be anyone crazy enough to pre-order from 4 different places just to get these exclusive items.

link.2
08-20-2010, 02:30 AM
If you're worried about people who pre-ordering running around with guns other people can't, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The reasons being that the only weaps are handguns (a machine pistol and a revolver) the other guns are just skins. From what's obvious in FPS games, people usually use SMG, Rifles, and maybe switch to their pistol instead of reloading or if they're out of ammo. I know I won't be using the machine-pistol I'm getting that much, when there's smgs and other more powerful guns.

Getting it from steam anyway so why not get the Hockler :p
Also, in MW2 I was told that I never switched from my silenced G18, ever during the entire match so your theory is flawed(of course that was when I was starting out).
"Dude! You have a Sniper Rifle but you only use the G18 and the knife!"

I'm also getting the feeling that in Brink you'll be burning through ammo quite fast, especially against the Heavy Bodytypes and then a potent sidearm can be quite handy

Iconoclast XVII
08-20-2010, 07:27 AM

You've never played Borderlands have you?

Syncourt
08-20-2010, 10:28 AM
That does actually worry me enough not to buy it atm. Being a pistol user myself I've noticed they are a very viable option in SD games due to the increased running speed (dodgeability).

Most particularly quake wars, I loved the strogg blaster. I would generally go infiltrator even indoors just for the pistol and increased speed. Giving just that bit of needed speed to be able to dodge a veteran snipers aim.

Krople
08-22-2010, 09:05 AM
They wont be that big of a deal, im going for the psycho pack because of the awesome soda can silencers and the awesome mask. Dont think they will be that different to the others, but they will be exclusive yes.

ZernoK
08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Gonna give up a game for 2 guns? Well ok, I'm not.

link.2
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
They wont be that big of a deal, im going for the psycho pack because of the awesome soda can silencers and the awesome mask. Dont think they will be that different to the others, but they will be exclusive yes.

Well you obviously like the way it looks :p

I'm glad that there are actual silencers(seen in some IGN interview thing)
Only hope that there will also be some alternate Revolvers too.

From the looks of it(IGN interview thing again) the light Bodytype will only be able to carry SMGs... I was kind of hoping for a Revolver on a light bodytype for some reason But they will probably also have Handguns of sorts.

I'm guessing that the weapons will simply be redesigns of other weapons.
The two "exclusive weapons" will probably just be new models, while the two other weapons are new skins, as in paintjobs because preorder bonuses generally don't give a full advantage over other users(still going for steam preorder though).
Maybe unlocking a few things early like BFBC2

Wolfplayer
08-22-2010, 01:42 PM
From the looks of it(IGN interview thing again) the light Bodytype will only be able to carry SMGs... I was kind of hoping for a Revolver on a light bodytype for some reason But they will probably also have Handguns of sorts.

Light bodies can carry a light weapon as primary weapon and a pistol as secondary.

Currently SD plans on having five pistols (semi-autos, full-autos, and revolvers), seven light weapons (SMGs and sniper rifles), seven medium weapons(assault rifles and shotguns), and 5 heavy weapons (MGs and grenade launchers).

So if your a light you can carry a SMG or sniper rifle and any of the pistols.

DevilGeneral
08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I wonder if there will be anyone crazy enough to pre-order from 4 different places just to get these exclusive items.

he can't use the items on same account.

Kienan
08-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Light bodies can carry a light weapon as primary weapon and a pistol as secondary.

Currently SD plans on having five pistols (semi-autos, full-autos, and revolvers), seven light weapons (SMGs and sniper rifles), seven medium weapons(assault rifles and shotguns), and 5 heavy weapons (MGs and grenade launchers).

So if your a light you can carry a SMG or sniper rifle and any of the pistols.

Yeah, what you said. It's a pretty cool system, in my opinion.

Lights can carry (up to) a light weapon and a sidearm (pistol).
Mediums can carry (up to) a medium weapon and (up to) a light weapon.
Heavies can carry (up to) a heavy weapon and (up to) a medium weapon.

So lights can carry an SMG, sniper rifle or pistol, as well as a pistol as a secondary weapon.
A medium could carry an SMG, sniper rifle, pistol, shotgun, or assault rifle, as well as an SMG, sniper rifle, or pistol as a secondary.
And a heavy can carry an SMG, sniper rifle, pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, heavy machine gun, or grenade launcher, as well as an SMG, sniper rifle, pistol, shotgun, or assault rifle as a secondary.

Lots of options for each body type, it looks like it will keep things interesting. Then you can be any one of the four classes on top of that. :cool:

B.C.
08-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Kind of sucks that the two packs aimed more at console players only get different color schemes (for lack of a better term) rather then new weapons, whether they be skins or not.

Syncourt
09-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Gonna give up a game for 2 guns? Well ok, I'm not.

I'm not giving it up. I'm just going to be waiting until I can buy a full pack for the price of the normal game which allows me to be on an even playing field with the other players at no additional cost.

Am not interested in paying full price for a demo version with limited options ty. Skins? fair enough. Restricted weapons? no thanks.

partyars
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
maybe the exclusive weapons will be released to the non preorder community a few months later?

that happened a lot to games i play

Syncourt
09-26-2010, 12:28 AM
So, this is a pretty big issue to a lot of us. Has anybody actually received any confirmation on what exactly the Pre-order weapons are yet?

Are they exclusive 'unique' weapons or are they simply reskinned weapons?

As soon as I can get any proof/source explaining that the weapons are just reskins, then I will pre-order. But until then I will continue to assume that they are indeed exclusive weapons which give players weapon options that a lot of others cannot use.

Have always enjoyed SD titles, but I will not put up with special pre-order weapons that make me stand out above the rest just for buying it early.

dazman76
09-26-2010, 02:05 AM
I don't think SD would be stupid enough to give pre-order bonuses that unbalance gameplay :) These exclusive weapons may be more than skins, but it's going to be sound effects and shape more than anything else. SD's kind of game is wholly based on balance and choice - everyone has access to the right tools, regardless of how early they bought the game.

In ET:QW for example, you earn XP as you complete objectives and contribute to the game. This does mean some people run more quickly, or have additional weapons etc. - but these things ARE available to everyone, you just have to do what the game is suggesting that you do :) This provides potential imbalance rather than guaranteed imbalance - some players will have an advantage, but the other players always have the opportunity to level the playing field. It is a steeper learning curve than other games, but the system is far better than those used by CoD and other mainstream games.

DoHO_
09-26-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm guessing that this machine pistol/SMG thing and the revolver will have the exact same stats as their counter parts already in the game. In other words, rather than a skin, they are just model replacements but have stats the same as existing weapons. Either that or their stats will be incredibly generic.

Syncourt
10-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes, that of course makes the most sense to have it as a clone of other guns but with a different model/sounds. But too many developers have turned the other way with exclusive weapons and I'm not really willing to take the risk and just hope that the guns are the same as the standard choices.

Maybe I should just e-mail them and see if I can get any info.

Levi
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Maybe I should just e-mail them and see if I can get any info.

Any luck? This is an issue that concerns me too. :)

Hurrrdulon
02-05-2011, 01:29 AM
This is Splash Damage we are talking about, who have supposedly been balancing the finished game for the past 6 months (at least). They are absolute balance freaks, I have the utmost faith that there will be a level playing field with or without pre-order extras.

Also, there are no sniper rifles in this game. There are short rifles or just rifles.

crooKk
02-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Pictures of each pre-order package:

http://area51gaming.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=580

Levi
02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
This is Splash Damage we are talking about, who have supposedly been balancing the finished game for the past 6 months (at least). They are absolute balance freaks, I have the utmost faith that there will be a level playing field with or without pre-order extras.

I hope so. Things like this always worry me.

partyars
02-06-2011, 09:35 AM
my guess is that the exclusive weapons have the exact same stats as another weapon already in game

Robotkio
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I have complete confidence that the developers won't unbalance their game with pre-order weapons for precisely the reason this thread exists. No one likes to get their butt handed to them without the ability to put themselves on a level playing field and the game would suffer for it.

I'm going to go off of the assumption that some guns in the game will be noticeably better than others, but the pre-order guns will not be "top teir" weapons. I imagine, at worst, pre-order weapons may be slightly better than the first guns everyone starts with but after people gain access to different weapons the battlefield will level out quickly.

That and, if the pre-order guns were unbalanced I'm also very confident that that would be patched right quick.

I know speculation doesn't help the thread along, but those are my two cents.

mundox86
02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Logic dictates that you'll be able to buy all packs in the future as DLC :P

Arth
02-15-2011, 05:24 AM
hmm recon kit.. if im going light body then it would be nice to have a semy smg next to the sniper rifle

the smg in that kit was semi right ? ( secondary )

Hurrrdulon
02-15-2011, 05:34 AM
hmm recon kit.. if im going light body then it would be nice to have a semy smg next to the sniper rifle

the smg in that kit was semi right ? ( secondary )
1) There's no sniper rifles in this game. (scoped rifles are nowhere near 1-hit kills, supposedly)
2) Lights/Skinnies can only carry pistols as secondaries, so no fallback SMG.
3) I'm pretty sure all SMGs are fully automatic by definition.

Kienan
02-15-2011, 05:50 AM
1) There's no sniper rifles in this game. (scoped rifles are nowhere near 1-hit kills, supposedly)
2) Lights/Skinnies can only carry pistols as secondaries, so no fallback SMG.
3) I'm pretty sure all SMGs are fully automatic by definition.

It's been a while since I've checked up on this game, but as I recall you're wrong on the second count. Well, technically what you said is correct, actually. You can't have SMGs as your secondary as a light, but you can have a full-auto "machine pistol." Currently the only known machine pistol is in the pre-order pack.

Trodamus
02-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Brink will have the following weapons in the following categories:

* 5 sidearms (including semi-autos, full autos and revolvers)
* 7 light weapons (SMG’s and short ("sniper") rifles)
* 7 medium weapons (assault rifles, light grenade launchers and shotguns)
* 5 heavy weapons (HMGs, heavy/automatic grenade launchers and rapid fire shotguns)

Light bodies can use light weapons with sidearms as secondary
Medium can use medium weapons with up to light as secondary
Heavy bodies can use heavy weapons with up to medium weapons as secondary.

So Hurrrdulon is slightly inaccurate. Full auto machine pistols will likely be included in the sidearm category though.

Arth
02-16-2011, 03:23 AM
It's been a while since I've checked up on this game, but as I recall you're wrong on the second count. Well, technically what you said is correct, actually. You can't have SMGs as your secondary as a light, but you can have a full-auto "machine pistol." Currently the only known machine pistol is in the pre-order pack.

yay gonna pre-order from steam

Hurrrdulon
02-16-2011, 04:43 AM
2) Lights/Skinnies can only carry pistols as secondaries, so no fallback SMG.It's been a while since I've checked up on this game, but as I recall you're wrong on the second count. Well, technically what you said is correct, actually. You can't have SMGs as your secondary as a light, but you can have a full-auto "machine pistol." Currently the only known machine pistol is in the pre-order pack.
sidearms (including semi-autos, full autos and revolvers)
Light bodies can use light weapons with sidearms as secondary

So Hurrrdulon is slightly inaccurate. Full auto machine pistols will likely be included in the sidearm category though.
Me? Wrong? All I see is your statements backing me up :V