PDA

View Full Version : Quake II has changed!

AngelOfMayhem
08-21-2010, 04:46 AM
When I started a new game of Q2 in hard mode as usual, I noticed that I no longer can collect several power ups of the same kind, but only one at a time. For example, 1 each of quad damage, enviro suit, rebreather, invulnerability.

It didn't use to be like this and I want it to go back to like it was.

Is it possible? And what happened?

EDIT: Another error is that the skin changes for each change of map. I have set it to "female", but it changes back to "male" every time the map changes. Hence the voice changes too.

MADDOGGE
08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Most likely your files just got corrupted. Nothing major. Just verify your game cache. If that doesn't work just reinstall since its not that big of a game.

I'm pretty sure there have been no patches for the game at this late date.lol Anything of course is possible but doubtful. It's either something missing file wise or you misremembering.

AnubisArc999
08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
When I started a new game of Q2 in hard mode as usual, I noticed that I no longer can collect several power ups of the same kind, but only one at a time. For example, 1 each of quad damage, enviro suit, rebreather, invulnerability.

It is hard to recall so far back and with all the various patches that came out with the release of Quake 2, but as I recall, there was a point where you were limited to how many powerups you could pick up. Or, as I think about it, it might be related to difficulty level. Easy has virtually unlimited slots, normal has medium amount, hard has less. I will have to check this. But it probably is one of the two suggestions.

EDIT: Another error is that the skin changes for each change of map. I have set it to "female", but it changes back to "male" every time the map changes. Hence the voice changes too.

This is definitely an issue that showed up on the final official patch by id software. I believe I reported it myself, but they never fixed it.

It is still not fixed in the Steam version (vanilla).

However, I believe it is fixed if you use a sourceport like kmquake2, which if you use the Steam verison of Quake 2, just get the Ultimate Quake 2 patch, there is a thread in this forum that has links (you will also get the music).

AngelOfMayhem
08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
This all happened after I had added a patch to the game to get it to run under Win 7.

I don't know about the power up thing. But as far as I can remember, having played Q2 since it came out (in '97), practically, I was always able to pick up all power ups on hard (skill level 2).

It would make more sense if this was limited on hard+ (skill levels 3+), but not on hard.

I tried playing it on medium and easy, and it differed. On medium I could have 2 power ups of the same kind, I think, and it seemed to be unlimited on easy.

But this is IMO not a thing about making the game harder, but in some cases too hard and not so exciting and awarding. Also tedious, because I'd have to run around to find new power ups every time I used one, etc. Or stack them some place. But still. There would be a limit of a maximum of one of each power up per unit, unless the unit had more than the one you are carrying.

I'll try and reinstall the game.

AngelOfMayhem
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
So I removed the game and reinstalled it. But nothing changed.

I use the ATI patch to get the game running.

I might try the Ultimate patch, but I'm not holding my breath.

If it won't work, I might go back to my old original CD-ROM disc of the game. Because I know that it's possible to collect unlimited amounts of power ups on hard mode.

MADDOGGE
08-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I really don't know Angel. I haven't played my retail versions in years since I bought the ID pack when it originally went on sale the first time way back. Just too long for me to remember things like that.

AngelOfMayhem
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, I played it so much so I know of nothing else. LoL.
But seriously, I must have thousands of hours of Q2 behind me. So I definitely remember that it's possible, with the power ups.

Anyway, I installed the Ultimate patch and with this I can at least collect and carry two of each power up at one time.

It's a disappointment, still.

I will be keeping in-game track on all the power ups I pass so I can add them to my inventory via the console ("give ..."). Not so fun and it feels like cheating. But it's how I've always played Q2 before...

The only other option would be going through the trouble to find my old CD.

But it's still odd. Why did Q2 suddenly change?

Is it possible to modify the pak file so I can carry unlimited amounts of power ups?

Karmatic
08-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I've beaten Q2 probably about 50 times since it's 97 release, and i remember only being able to collect 1 of each powerup on hard. It was the same way with the mission packs too. Personally, i liked it that way. Just added a little more of a challenge, even though the game was super easy. ...that is unless i had some crazy warped version...

lordofterror
08-22-2010, 01:28 AM
the only difference i liked in the higher difficulty were the bots,specially when they start to duck to dodge rockets etc

AngelOfMayhem
08-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I've beaten Q2 probably about 50 times since it's 97 release, and i remember only being able to collect 1 of each powerup on hard. It was the same way with the mission packs too. Personally, i liked it that way. Just added a little more of a challenge, even though the game was super easy. ...that is unless i had some crazy warped version...

Well, same here. But maybe more... Q2 is the game I have played the most. Sometimes almost too much. I had a break until now. But I can only remember picking up all the power ups there were. Because I also remember that I used to have like 20 or so quad damage in the end, unused... So I thought it was almost too easy that way.
The last thing I discovered was that there was the hard+ mode.
But the difference there was that the bots' animation was changed.

I need to get my CD.

AngelOfMayhem
08-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I found my CD and installed the game from it. v3.05. So it's a rather old version.

However, in this version it's possible to collect all the power ups on any mode!

But it has a few bugs, it seems.

It would be nice to update it to a version which still allowed for collecting the power ups.