PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare House 2 Released

Choster
08-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Its available for download now. Its a very nice horror themed mod.

http://nh2.wecreatestuff.com/

Freeman45
08-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Looks decent. Does it have a deep storyline? Can I play the second one without having to beat the first?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUjTvDDHxis

slayer20
08-22-2010, 07:26 PM
I haven't played the remake of the first Nightmare House, but I have played the original.

As far as I can remember, it's basically just some guy breaks down and goes to a house to get help, the Nightmare House to be exact.

I don't know about the remake though. Could be completely different.

gorpie
08-22-2010, 07:33 PM
If it's like Nightmare House 2007, the prior version(s) may be included in the download. (I'm counting the very first map pack as a "version".)

Choster
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
The first level is a remastered nightmare house 1. It acts as a prologue to part 2. After playing a few levels of NH2 I have to say the quality is very professional. Everything from the audio to scripted sequences are done exceptionally well. Anyone looking for a polished horror single player experience should really check this mod out.

gorpie
08-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Nightmare House 2007 (I guess NH1) was very well done. Better than their original map pack. And I don't do horror, so I'm lucky I'm usually looking in the wrong place when something happens... :)

derpburp
08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I am stuck in the emg part of the hospital. I'm locked on all sides.

Freeman45
08-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I am stuck in the emg part of the hospital. I'm locked on all sides.

Part with the two cat scans?

Transfer the fuse from one room to the other and then turn that machine on.

derpburp
08-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Just finished it, amazing mod. 12 thumbs up.

Freeman45
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Just finished it, amazing mod. 12 thumbs up.

How did you finish the last map with the giant floating ball?

I turned off the first shield and cant figure out wtf to do :o

shadowmancer471
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
How did you finish the last map with the giant floating ball?

I turned off the first shield and cant figure out wtf to do :o

SPOILER:

Use the axe to break the wooden support beams on the arms

Mod is great. Must get it

derpburp
08-23-2010, 03:13 PM
This guy needs to make more mods.

Freeman45
08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
SPOILER:

Use the axe to break the wooden support beams on the arms

Mod is great. Must get it

The axe? THE AXE!! I guess 12 guage buckshot just isn't as strong as the axe :p

Jebus christ i've been shooting at those wood planks for 5 minutes.. never thought to use the axe :mad:,

Yes very good mod, probably the best hl single player mod i've played so far, I hope for a nightmare house 3.

Wazanator
08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Great mod but and I have to say some parts really got me. I have to say though that some of the things were repeated a bit to much and lost the shock value. (the bodies being pulled/pushed)

Wasted
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Freaking incredible, one of the best mods I have played in a long while. This is easily the best mod for Source. Only gripe I had with the game was the too rapid pacing. The scares came to often that some were predictable. Personally would of preferred a slower, more cerebral experience but that's not to say what is here isn't fun.

Regardless this was an amazing achievement. Bravo to the team, some great talent. The set-pieces were amazing and intuitive. Thanks and kudos to the team, this game was a triumph.

HUGE SUCCESS!!!

One bug report though, my game froze during The Prologe --> Chapter 1.

slayer20
08-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Um guys...can anyone else tell me if this happened to them?

I can't remember what chapter it was, but it was right after the room where the intercom lady said "There is a zombie behind you". After getting out of that room, the intercom lady said something else, and as she was talking, my subtitles started spamming "DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU" over and over again. I never looked behind me and came to a locked door. I decided that I would take a break at this point. After quitting and coming back after awhile, I came back into the area where the intercom lady was talking, but this time it never said "DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU" and there was nothing behind me.

Please to god tell me someone else had this happen.

ikar
08-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Nightmare House 2

+good game, maybe best mod in this genre
+good site
+good distribution: user have choice installer or archive (i hate installer)
+inside distributive all clean: none unwanted staff like thumbs.db, desktop.ini, .bat for compilier, source code of dll, files with 0 size, screenshots, savegames and so, no superhidden or read-only attributes
+nice fonts
+good gamestory and gameplay

+good team AI - I remember for the first time when I see Grunt AI in HLDemo, i want same ai for citizen of City17! - possible they use modified Alyx AI. when player attack - team also attack and see around, when player retreat - team also do it and cover player. You can't command him but they not run on fire-line as citizen

-icon_big not present
-2 places too dark - unplayable - no fleshlight or not worked, no any light objects for orienting Left|Right|Forward|Backward|Top|Down - want to change illumination

+some nice quotates from good games: HL F.E.A.R S.T.A.L.K.E.R L4D Paranoia
+have alternate ending

+game lenth more ballanced then CtoA, SM

Valve change something again, i see many bugs in console log and Mod crashed once :(, but my opinion:

to Players: PlayIT!

to Modders: Do as they!

to Valve: Hire their!

charbar
08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Please to god tell me someone else had this happen.

The "DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU" messages are part of a random scare system in the game. Every once in a while, a random event will occur such as the "pssts" , the flickering flashlight, or the ♥♥♥♥♥slaps. They're just little things meant to scare you that happen differently every playthrough. So yes, this happened to me but at different times.

derpburp
08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Nightmare House 2

+good game, maybe best mod in this genre
+good site
+good distribution: user have choice installer or archive (i hate installer)
+inside distributive all clean: none unwanted staff like thumbs.db, desktop.ini, .bat for compilier, source code of dll, files with 0 size, screenshots, savegames and so, no superhidden or read-only attributes
+nice fonts
+good gamestory and gameplay

+good team AI - I remember for the first time when I see Grunt AI in HLDemo, i want same ai for citizen of City17! - possible they use modified Alix AI. when player attack - team also attack and see around, when player retreat - team also do it and cover player. You can't command him but they not run on fire-line as citizen

-icon_big not present
-2 places too dark - unplayable - no fleshlight or not worked, no any light objects for orienting Left|Right|Forward|Backward|Top|Down - want to change illumination

+some nice quotates from good games: HL F.E.A.R S.T.A.L.K.E.R L4D Paranoia
+have alternate ending

+game lenth more ballaced then CtoA, SM

Valve change something again, i see many bugs in console log and Mod crashed once :(, but my opinion:

to Players: PlayIT!

to Modders: Do as they!

to Valve: Hire their!

Where did you crash? And its Alyx not Alix.

crackodile
08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
great mod :)

Zekiran
08-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Seriously, excellent work.

I got stuck briefly in the heart monitor room, but figured that out after taking a break. Also took a bit too much damage at one point to continue so had to reload.

This mod is just... pure genius. Absolutely insane stuff.

The mannequins, scare me to death. I freaking hate those things in real life. Bioshock used them to great effect, and here I think even BETTER.

Hen: you win as many Internets as you can handle, for a lifetime. Keep this up and ... well, I dunno. :) More win.

ikar
08-25-2010, 08:01 AM
errors in console
Steam config directory: steamapps\\source sdk base 2007\platform\config
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "resource/NH2_russian.txt".
Convar r_rootlod has conflicting FCVAR_CHEAT flags (child: FCVAR_CHEAT, parent: no FCVAR_CHEAT, parent wins)
Convar r_eyeglintlodpixels has conflicting FCVAR_CHEAT flags (child: FCVAR_CHEAT, parent: no FCVAR_CHEAT, parent wins)
Convar r_skin has conflicting FCVAR_CHEAT flags (child: no FCVAR_CHEAT, parent: FCVAR_CHEAT, parent wins)
Convar mat_softwareskin has conflicting FCVAR_CHEAT flags (child: no FCVAR_CHEAT, parent: FCVAR_CHEAT, parent wins)
MDLCache: Stalker_animations.mdl needs to be recompiled
Redownloading all lightmaps
ConVarRef hap_HasDevice doesn't point to an existing ConVar
ConVarRef hap_HasDevice doesn't point to an existing ConVar
and many err No caption found for, no entity found
No caption found for 'nh2\music\amazinghorse_loop.wav'
No caption found for 'nh2\music\null_emily.wav'
it's changes in steam engine

Scene 'scenes\Expressions\citizen_normal_idle_01.vcd' missing!
Scene 'scenes\Expressions\citizen_scared_idle_01.vcd' missing!
fix with copyng Expressions folder from CtoA (SilverMink fix)

Zekiran
08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
You should have been instructed to download another SDK base, before playing. I don't know whether it was the same issue as crackodile had, but maybe ask him, as I know he complained about having to dl that before playing. Also, did the game RUN for you, or are you just saying you had the console open and those were the things you think are supposed to be corrected?

Pwns4you!
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm gonna sound like a baby but I hate these mods, not because they're bad but because I get scared ♥♥♥♥less at the best of times...

Zekiran
08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm gonna sound like a baby but I hate these mods, not because they're bad but because I get scared ♥♥♥♥less at the best of times...

hehehehe me too. Oh, me too. I don't think I've yelled out loud in surprise so many times. Seriously, great suspense and SO fun.

prd3d132
08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Great mod but the final level was abit to easy also great voice acting.

derpburp
08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I want more. Anything else in store?

slayer20
08-25-2010, 11:39 PM
The original Nightmare House. You could play that.

Zekiran
08-26-2010, 12:18 AM
The original Nightmare House. You could play that.

Is included as the prologue in this update... I have to assume they've played that.

ikar
08-26-2010, 12:27 AM
i run and play whole of game good, except when it crashed once (don't remember which chapter (between 1-4))

since new steam 2010 and new engine releaze, i always live console opened and see problems appear in console

i have sourcesdk, source sdk base, source sdk base 2007 - its appear as source SDK (seems 2009), 2006,2007

don't have completly OB, only EP2 and Portal (version that start free in june)

slayer20
08-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Is included as the prologue in this update... I have to assume they've played that.

The one in Nightmare House 2 is the remake.

Here: http://www.moddb.com/downloads/nightmare-house-1-2005-map-files-only

Just put them in your maps folder.

de4gLe
08-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Valve, do us all a favour and let these guy work for you! :D Its best Horror Game(Mod) out there with Penumbra, and the scripts etc are awesome! Shame if you dont do that^^

BTW: I do a German Lets Play of Nightmare House 2 and iam very afraid! :P

http://www.youtube.com/user/David281190?feature=mhum#p/c/EA13914C860AFE4D

Zekiran
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
The one in Nightmare House 2 is the remake.

Here: http://www.moddb.com/downloads/nightmare-house-1-2005-map-files-only

Just put them in your maps folder.

Well, yeah, though I was warned away from the original. I haven't played it, only the remake before 2 came out.

MADDOGGE
08-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Just finished playing it about 20min ago. Absolutely great. They should have had these guys do FEAR 2. All I was really planning on doing was get it started, save and then play it tomorrow but once I got started I couldn't stop playing.:):):cool:

Very creepy and tense. I saw bits of FEAR1/Condemned/Portal influence in the mod.;)

Thanks for the heads up OP! Very enjoyable evening thanks to you. Nite nite!:D

arroyjose
08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Could someone please explain to me why do we need to install the source SDK 2007 to play this mod. All other mods I've played before didn't have this requirement.

Looking forward to playing this mod.

Zekiran
08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Could someone please explain to me why do we need to install the source SDK 2007 to play this mod. All other mods I've played before didn't have this requirement.

... Because this mod wasn't made using the 2009 version. Wouldn't that be kind of obvious by the fact that it requires 2k7?

gorpie
08-27-2010, 05:09 AM

Some mods are built on the SDK base rather than one of the games (HL2/Ep1/Ep2) that you already have installed.

pizzahut
08-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Some mods are built on the SDK base rather than one of the games (HL2/Ep1/Ep2) that you already have installed.
And that's how it should be, too.

The way I understand it, the concept of the Source SDK Bases (AppIds 215 & 218) is that they don't change (much, if at all), so mods using this should be able to run in the future, too. As the VDC entry (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_SDK_Base) puts it, they are locked to a particular engine branch.

But mods built directly on games like HL2, EP1, EP2 (AppIds 220, 380, 420) will have to deal with Valve changing engine, like the recent update to the Orange Box engine.

-p0ppa-
08-29-2010, 07:28 AM
in one of the screenshots i see a woman figure in dark.
now is this f.e.a.r.? lol:D

shadowmancer471
08-29-2010, 09:12 AM
in one of the screenshots i see a woman figure in dark.
now is this f.e.a.r.? lol:D

Pretty much