PDA

View Full Version : HL- Deathmatch

hdjoe
08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
On the server I play on most of the time, the game keeps crashing on the player's system (clients). If you have any number of people playing (5-15 players) a some what random number of player’s games will crash at the same time and each player will need to restart the game and reconnect to the game. The game server itself will not crash, but continue on without a problem. Steam at least on my system does not die so you only have to restart the game.

I myself have this issue and I can not figure out a rime or reason. Some maps do not seem to have the problem, then some maps will crash more often than others. I have seen where on a specific map I will crash once or none during the complete match, then at times where I have crashed about every two minutes on the same map.

I once removed all the cache files "*.cache" files and this also did not seem to help.

1) Is there any server or client log files I can consult to help get additional information?
2) Are they completely ignoring this issue to get everyone to move on to newer games?
3) Do other people also have this issue.

Nutz
08-26-2010, 04:15 AM
the client crash has always been there. Some maps do seem to cause this more than others It's when everyone gets out of synch. I have also noticed more often it's during a steam client update when not everyone has the update installed yet.(just my opinion from observation. I could be wrong)

fyck
09-07-2010, 06:16 AM
My opinion is that there is multiple things that can cause this.

1. If you use high server rates, timeout crashes may occur when the server's performance cannot match cfg rate settings, ie gameservers.com servers.
2. One of the animations gets stuck or is missing from one of the combine models. Crashes seem to happen less when everyone is rebel, clan fights prove this omg xD
3. Transparency issues regarding the end score sheet and shader effects. There seems to be a bug concerning the end score sheet, some people believe its a decal issue, some think its shaders like combine balls. This is why i made dm_killbox_kbh_2_fix (which is a remake of kbh 2 with no decals), but it didnt solve the issue.
4. Sound bugs, who knows xD For some reason source engine for dm uses the last used codec on your OS to play sounds and music. Often a restart can improve performance, this is potencially why.

Anyway, there you have it, thats my opinion after trying to solve the crashes for 2 years. Just too much to bother with lol, roll on update.. (just dont fudge it xD)

All of these, plus dodgey net code contribute to hl2dm client crashes. Its actually really annoying, players often blame the servers, and theres nothing server owners can do about it xD

THE Nakedgun
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Soem server have a sound that plays when soemone gets a certain amount of frags this often crashes me and almost the entire server except maybe 3 players its a real server emptier because rarely does anyone comeback.

fyck
09-16-2010, 03:33 AM
That is the codec bug i mentioned :( Nothing to do with the sound itself. Although that may be a place to start