PDA

View Full Version : Similar Games?

NalgasDLemur
08-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I picked up Burnout Paradise when it was on sale earlier this summer because I remembered having fun with some of the earlier Burnout games, and I'm really glad I did. Something that surprised me is how much I enjoyed just driving around for fun when I got bored of the races/events and just felt like goofing off. I know not everyone liked the open world aspect of it and would've preferred that it'd stuck to the old Burnout formula, but as the kind of person who likes exploring every little corner of a game (if it's a good game, at least) to see what kinds of interesting things I turn up, I really liked having the open world to drive around in between events so I could learn the map and find shortcuts with no time pressure, and also just because there's something fun about having an entire city to drive recklessly around.

Unfortunately, I've just about run out of stuff to do in the game, and the DLC, which I'd happily buy if they'd just sell it to me, seems to be never coming to the PC version. Is there anything else remotely similar out there with an open world/map like that? I like the arcade style of stuff like Burnout (ability to take completely unrealistic amounts of damage, instant respawn without too big a penalty, forgiving controls/handling) but don't really get along with games that are too realistic. FUEL looked kind of promising, but I tried the demo, and there was nothing fun about it: I hated the way the vehicles handled, and the environment (at least the part available in the demo) was incredibly bland. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Nitronumber9
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Flatout is very simular, its what I moved onto. Although thiers no open world its still the same sort of demolition derby except its a little harder to takeout cars (unlike burnout a simple tap won't send a car into the wall, you have to ram em into it) try a demo of it, see how you get on.

NalgasDLemur
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Flatout is very simular, its what I moved onto.

Thanks. I'll give it a look. I've heard other people saying some good things about it, too. I still hope someone out there can capture the feel of Burnout Paradise again, though (maybe even Criterion themselves at some point).

Rogersdead
08-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Test Drive Unlimited is a huge open world arcade racer. And a pretty good one at that.

NalgasDLemur
08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, I tried the Flatout demo. I like some of the ideas of the game, but I'm a little concerned about the "physics" model, if you want to call it that. It feels like I'm driving a boat. On ice. And that's on the pavement, not off track. Heh. Is that any better in the newer games? I suppose I could go see if they have demos available somewhere not on Steam instead of being lazy and only trying the one on here...

Test Drive Unlimited is a huge open world arcade racer. And a pretty good one at that.

I somehow had no idea that there was a PC version of that. Unfortunately it looks like there's no demo, and after a quick search it seems like it's hard to find a copy for a reasonable price now, but the good news is that the second one's coming out in a few months, so I'll put that on my list of games to keep an eye on.

johnno
08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Flatout 2 is much better in imo, and a real blast. Have you looked in to FUEL?

Freyar
08-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Upcoming Hot Pursuit

Rogersdead
08-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, I tried the Flatout demo. I like some of the ideas of the game, but I'm a little concerned about the "physics" model, if you want to call it that. It feels like I'm driving a boat. On ice. And that's on the pavement, not off track. Heh. Is that any better in the newer games? I suppose I could go see if they have demos available somewhere not on Steam instead of being lazy and only trying the one on here...

I somehow had no idea that there was a PC version of that. Unfortunately it looks like there's no demo, and after a quick search it seems like it's hard to find a copy for a reasonable price now, but the good news is that the second one's coming out in a few months, so I'll put that on my list of games to keep an eye on.

I actually love the flatout games, there's a lot of depth there for a racer. If you do get any go for Carnage as the graphical improvements over Flatout 2 are worth it imo. Although Flatout 2 is alot cheaper and basically the exact same game.

As for Test Drive Unlimited, here in the UK it's very easy to find new. My local GAME always has copies in their bargain bin for 9.99 or 2 for 14,99 offers. Shame it's not on Steam but i must say the map you get with retail is well worth it.
The sequel is coming yes but it's been put back untill next March, so if you can wait 8 months...

I can't think of any other games like these already mentioned, i see you didn't like FUEL, like alot of people, yet i loved it. It huge open post-apocalyptic landscape drew me in, it's an experience like no other.

NalgasDLemur
08-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Flatout 2 is much better in imo, and a real blast. Have you looked in to FUEL?

Looks like there is a demo for it, just not on Steam, so I'm grabbing it now. Didn't really like FUEL much from the demo, sadly.

Upcoming Hot Pursuit

I'm tentatively interested in that. I don't like the idea behind it as much, but it is the next thing from Criterion, so I'll see how it goes.

I actually love the flatout games, there's a lot of depth there for a racer. If you do get any go for Carnage as the graphical improvements over Flatout 2 are worth it imo. Although Flatout 2 is alot cheaper and basically the exact same game.

As for Test Drive Unlimited, here in the UK it's very easy to find new. My local GAME always has copies in their bargain bin for 9.99 or 2 for 14,99 offers. Shame it's not on Steam but i must say the map you get with retail is well worth it.
The sequel is coming yes but it's been put back untill next March, so if you can wait 8 months...

I can't think of any other games like these already mentioned, i see you didn't like FUEL, like alot of people, yet i loved it. It huge open post-apocalyptic landscape drew me in, it's an experience like no other.

I'll find out later today if I get along with the Flatout 2 demo better than the original.

I expected TDU to be as cheap as that here, too, but I don't even know anymore where to look in physical stores for a PC game section that actually exists. Amazon only has a few copies at an absurd price, and some of the other usual places I look don't even have the PC version listed.

I really wanted to like FUEL, but the demo did a good job convincing me otherwise. I've heard a lot of people who like the game itself say that they didn't like the demo, either, which is a good sign the demo is terrible, even if the game isn't. I assume from the videos I've seen that the full game has a lot more variety than the rather bland little corner of the map the demo includes, which would help. Are the other/later/unlockable vehicles any better, though? The demo bike was tolerable, but the buggy was pretty unpleasant to drive. I figure the later ones probably are faster and/or handle better, but I'm not sure how much I'm willing to put up with to get to that point. At least the ones in Burnout Paradise were fun to drive from the beginning.

darkgriffin1986
08-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I can speak up for Fuel, as I have played it(retail though, not steam).

The demo is indeed terrible at selling the game. The area in the demo is the second or third area that unlocks, dumbed down to 2 races that have been reworked to be very easy.

The full game is very nice. It takes a bit of work and persistance to unlock the zones about halfway through the game, but the locations are often a nice blend of "real world locations" with "virtual game world locations". The whole game has a really sweet atmosphere and style, making it very one of a kind.

I can also safely say that it is definetly a single player game. Multiplayer is sketchy at best. Part of that for me was that I didn't have a mic and the game has no text chat support, so the online free roam was a bit dull without being able to communicate with the odd player I managed to find online.

That being said, you'll either love it for it's pure open world racing, or hate it for being just pure open world racing. It's no GTA, and takes a much more arcady approach to racing and the world in general. But it's got some sweet visuals, races, and areas that are very worth the ride.

As a matter of fact, I'm in these forums for Burnout because I heard it was much like Fuel in the way it did open world checkpoint racing. I'll probably pick it up during the next holiday sale. :)

PopeRatzo
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Burnout Paradise is one of my favorite games of all time. I've spent three times as many hours playing it as any other Steam game.

I'd gladly pre-purchase any "Burnout Paradise 2" that Criterion cared to release. I'd pay $50 in a heartbeat even if it was the exact same game just in a new town with new cars.

No other racing game comes close to the feeling of the open road and adventure and seeking out things to do, combined with racing...and crashing...and stunts.

I really wonder why, with all the sequels out there, that nobody else has made a game like Burnout Paradise.

NalgasDLemur
09-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I knew I left this tab open for a reason, even if I did forget about it for a few days.

Going by the demos, at least, FlatOut 2 is a significant improvement over the first one. I was ready to write off the whole series after trying the first one, but after searching the Internets for the demo for the second game (which really should be on Steam), I'm actually considering picking up the full game. Anyone else who's only tried the original and was disappointed should consider giving it a shot, because they nailed the "feel" of it a lot better.

Skorj
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I found FlatOut 2 to be a better game than FlatOut Ultimate Carnage in every way but graphics - it's the best of the series. It's not as fast as Burnout, but it's not bad (fun to run races with the heavier, stronger cars, as unlike Burnout they can actually corner).