PDA

View Full Version : I have two questions, and would appreciate if they could be answered.

-Legion-
08-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Question number 1.
I've been told that the American version of the game has a much higher population than the EU version. Unfortunately, I've already bought 'City of Heroes: Going Rogue EU' Does this mean I'm stuck with the EU version or what? If I am stuck with the EU version, is it really that much worse than the American version?

Question number 2.
I downloaded the game without any problems off Steam.
I verify the integrity of the game cache, as you do, and it came up with 18 invalidated files, so I let it update and fix itself etc. Now, when I launch the game, I get past the patcher but when I try to launch they actual game the following errors come up, in this order.
"Your card or driver does not support ARB_Multitexture"

"Your card or driver does not support ARB_texture_compression"

And finally, here comes a big one:
"Detected video card or driver is currently unsupported NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. This game may run poorly, or not at all with this registration."
It then says something about updating my drives etc.
This has NEVER happened with any game before, and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

GTB
08-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Question number 1.
I've been told that the American version of the game has a much higher population than the EU version. Unfortunately, I've already bought 'City of Heroes: Going Rogue EU' Does this mean I'm stuck with the EU version or what? If I am stuck with the EU version, is it really that much worse than the American version?

That is true. The NA version has a much larger population than the EU version. And unfortunately yes, you are probably stuck with the EU version. If you contact NCSOFT support from the plaync account page, you might be able to get them to switch you. I think I recall that happening at some point early in the game, but they may not do it anymore.

Question number 2.
I downloaded the game without any problems off Steam.
I verify the integrity of the game cache, as you do, and it came up with 18 invalidated files, so I let it update and fix itself etc. Now, when I launch the game, I get past the patcher but when I try to launch they actual game the following errors come up, in this order.
"Your card or driver does not support ARB_Multitexture"

"Your card or driver does not support ARB_texture_compression"

And finally, here comes a big one:
"Detected video card or driver is currently unsupported NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. This game may run poorly, or not at all with this registration."
It then says something about updating my drives etc.
This has NEVER happened with any game before, and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Does it allow you to run the game? And if so, are there any problems?

-Legion-
08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
That is true. The NA version has a much larger population than the EU version. And unfortunately yes, you are probably stuck with the EU version. If you contact NCSOFT support from the plaync account page, you might be able to get them to switch you. I think I recall that happening at some point early in the game, but they may not do it anymore.

Does it allow you to run the game? And if so, are there any problems?

:/ Well I'll give it a go, I suppose I can live with it.
Annoying though :(

I can't believe I forgot to mention that the game crashes almost instantly on startup.

Zekiran
08-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Post the rest of your computer's specs. You may just have a very old video card, or your driver needs to be updated.

And yes, unfortunately, the european client has far fewer people on it. I don't know that they're willing to transfer accounts any more, but with Going Rogue ... you might see a bigger audience this week than last. :)

-Legion-
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Okay, a bit of a stab in the dark here, but I'll shoot.
I don't know if I'm doing this right btw :P
> Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD P31 Neo-F V2(MS-7392)
> Chipset : Intel G31/G33/G35
> Processor : Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2500MHz
> Physical Memory : 3072MB (3 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
> Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500320AS (500GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DRU-V200S
> Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP L1908w - 19 inches
> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
> DirectX : Version 9.0c

Please, forive my naivety :)

Zekiran
08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
You should be able to run the game, though have you made sure to update your video card's drivers? Go over to nvidia's web site and check your card version and make sure that everything is up to date on it. I'm running the same amount of ram and OS, and have no trouble but then I also have a different nvidia card.

Also maybe head over to this site, http://svc.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/ to do a quick check.

GTB
08-25-2010, 03:38 PM
yeah you shouldn't have any problems running the game with that hardware which means it's likely a software problem. make sure you have the latest drivers from nvidia. Specifically I think you want this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html

Other than that, im not sure what the problem is. I looked around on the COH forums and did some google searches but I didn't find anything relating to 260s having problems like yours. If updating the driver doesn't work, let me know.

Zekiran
08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I hope that fixes it - but remember they were having some troubles with Steam's download of the EU client. I hope that's not at issue. :/

GTB
08-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Realistically if nothing else you could pull the updater.exe out of the city of heroes directory onto your desktop, delete the CoH folder altogether, and then run the updater and have it pull everything from the coh server instead of steam if that was a problem.

...I think. Unless the updater has been modified for steam, which i don't think it has. This would be a really slow solution, but would essentially bypass steam.

But anyway I don't think that's the problem here. I thought I remembered reading about the 260s behaving strangely with CoH/CoV, but for the life of me I can't find that topic on the City Of Forums anywhere, so maybe i'm crazy.

Edit: Found it. People had issues with the new driver patch doing weird things in coh/cov. But It has since been fixed I think. Also, I looked up the error he's getting and most people solved it by updating their drivers.

digitalanime
08-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Also another thing to try, is that stuff from older drivers might cause some troubles. And even after updating to the latest drivers old stuff still may cause some troubles.

Have you tried uninstalling the Nvidia driver first, reboot, and then install the driver again?

Agerasia
08-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Do they still do the transfer?
Last I played you could transfer from EU to US for a small fee.

Lord Mordeth
08-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Last I played you could transfer from EU to US for a small fee.

Nope, that has never been possible, at least not that i know of.

There was a period however when you could move from US --> EU and they granted you a badge for it.

-Legion-
08-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Well, thanks for your help guys, I got it working :)

GTB
08-26-2010, 07:30 AM
sweet. what did it in case somebody else has the same problem?

Agerasia
08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Nope, that has never been possible, at least not that i know of.

There was a period however when you could move from US --> EU and they granted you a badge for it.
I moved a character from EU to US.

Lord Mordeth
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
I moved a character from EU to US.

As i said, i haven't personally heard of something like that happening since it'd make no sense for them to allow such a move.