PDA

View Full Version : Retail box of Race On and Steam

dragon95688
08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I want to buy the Reail boxed version of Race On since it's cheaper then buying the Steam version and I get the same games this package has:
Race On Bundle (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2277/)

My question is, how do I register my Race On retail box with my Steam account? Do I run the DVD install or enter a CD Key? I have not purchased this yet, since I wanted to make sure I won't run into trouble. I know Race 07 and STCC have CD Keys to register with but I didn't see any thing on the Retail CD Key list that said Race On.

t0mby
08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
I just bought the retail version of Race On the other day and being new to Steam I wondered the same thing.

Basically I installed it and chose 'Online' as it gives you an offline or online install option. The game installs all the files from the disc but does so through Steam if that makes sense. The game is then installed in your Steam directory and you're good to go.

You can also chose to do an offline install if you like and then register the product with Steam with the Steam code that is on the back of the instructions.

Hope this helps. :)

grimgard
08-31-2010, 10:44 AM
I just bought the retail version of Race On the other day and being new to Steam I wondered the same thing.

Basically I installed it and chose 'Online' as it gives you an offline or online install option. The game installs all the files from the disc but does so through Steam if that makes sense. The game is then installed in your Steam directory and you're good to go.

You can also chose to do an offline install if you like and then register the product with Steam with the Steam code that is on the back of the instructions.

Hope this helps. :)

Yes I did the same thing and it works well. The only problem I had was I needed to restart steam for Race 07 to show up and then Steam started to download it. You need Race 07 to play GTR Evo even if the boxed retail version of the game you bought is a stand alone full version of the game.

Anyways I tested it this morning and it works perfectly.

J-F
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Indeed, installing the "online" version will simply copy the game files directly into your Steam directory.

When you launch Steam after that, it will simply detect the version of the game you've just installed and will download the updates that were released after the DVD you bought got created.