View Full Version : duplicate content

Bon_Inf*
08-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi.

After buying the BAF DLC I have the two folders

...\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\BAF\BAF_data
and
...\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\BAF\Addons

which both apparently have one and the same content.

This means 470MB of redundant files on my disk. Is that necessary?

slikbaz
08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi.

After buying the BAF DLC I have the two folders

...\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\BAF\BAF_data
and
...\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\BAF\Addons

which both apparently have one and the same content.

This means 470MB of redundant files on my disk. Is that necessary?

Only one way to find out.. cut/paste all the data in one of the folders somewhere else and see if it affects anything in game, and if it does, then try the same thing with the other folder :D

Bon_Inf*
08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Deleting the DLCsetup folder you are not able anymore to start the game using the separate BAF starter in the Steam games list.

However, starting Operation Arrowhead using the games list as well as the respective ArmA2OA.exe still works fine then.

At this point I really have to complain about BIS letting their products integrate into Steam.
I could arrange myself with the fact OA installs itself into a separate folder although I own the Steam version of ArmA II (so here you have automatically duplicate files of considerable size), am I aware of the different structures Steam uses to manage their contents and BIS does.

But in this case, it really is enough. There is NO point in having a separate starter for the DLC in the games list iamo, since OA automatically starts with the DLC.
And instead of just linking the starter to the necessary content in ...\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\BAF\Addons, this content is duplicated into another folder....
That appears to be pretty amateurish.

Dwarden
08-29-2010, 07:44 AM
\BAF\ and \DLCsetup\BAF\ are two different things and You need to keep both

there are good reasons to have things setup this way and it's not duplicated content...

standalone item A2:BAF in games list gives user option to try re-initialize A2:BAF
in case some problem arise (usually STEAM started not as administrator)

so before You speak about something being wrong,
do some research on the subject otherwise You might end as the one who is wrong :)