PDA

View Full Version : None of the Quake series works?

UnbuiltBuilding
08-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I bought the Quake series and when I start any of them, it says 'Windows encountered a problem." I have Windows7 if that matters.

fisk0
08-29-2010, 01:10 PM
You should probably post which graphics card and driver you use.
I think NVidia broke their OpenGL drivers some time ago, and since all the pre-Q4 Quake titles use either software rendering or OpenGL, that would probably make the games unplayable for you.
There are various source ports for all the Quake games though, try with them if you can't get the games to work.
Also, none of the OpenGL based version shipped with Quake 1 for Steam works in Windows 7, that is GLQuake or GLQuakeWorld. You're better of downloading nQuake or some other modern Quake port to play that.

radromity
08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
run quake 3 in xp compatibility mode that should solve it i dont know download the ultimate quake patch and ultimate quake 2 patch the links are in this forum that should fix those

RottenApple32
09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
run quake 3 in xp compatibility mode that should solve it i dont know download the ultimate quake patch and ultimate quake 2 patch the links are in this forum that should fix those

Yep - Quake didn't work correctly for me without the Ultimate patch - strange coloured textures everywhere. Also, get yourself the 'Darkplaces' mod and Rygel's High res. textures.