PDA

View Full Version : Playing the market

Aamelron
09-02-2010, 08:45 AM
So I was remember in the tutorial being given that I will have to find out what a customer will pay, do the words they give count as hints or is it just fluff

For instance, "I don't have that type of money on me" at 130%.
when they say that they range that they want is somewhere between 10-20% lower.
(next part is hypothetical as i've yet to be given a third chance in negoiating, although it says that with skill you will be able to).
so then I try 111% and they say "Can't you go just a little bit lower"
and that is a range somewhere between 1-5%. Meaning that its obviously
110 because its
between 120-110 based on first criteria, and between 111-106 by second criteria.

so then I sell it for a 110.

Also, are the graphics just graphics? as in who is talking to you doesnt matter?

I've noticed that the old man seems to be a lot more frugal, is that just conciendence or is there something to that?

Also, is each "old man" a seperate person or pretty much the same person /counted as the same and peoples opinion of you grows stronger/trust.

For instance, old man comes in and for some dumb reason i sell him my first 20 items at base 100%....obviously thats a great deal, so next time he comes in hes like oh hey i want htis, and I trust you to give me a good price so what ever you say im pretty much going to take it!

so then I mark the item at 160% and he goes OKAY

Alkerion
09-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Interesting. I haven't really tried being 'risky' with selling or buying stock yet.

pilnomi
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
all I've been able to figure out so far is that one little girl doesn't seem to have any money for anything.. Came in, requested food, I recommended the most expensive (oops) and she wouldn't even buy at 105%. Next time, I recommended an apple instead -> profit :P

Stealth107
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I think that there's a couple of "characters" who share the same art. I've had a stingy old man, and a more generous old man.

What they say does make a difference. When Louie says he's broke, he'll barely pay above base price. When he doesn't say that, you can go a fair bit higher.

Iuri19
09-02-2010, 05:33 PM
i guess Louie and the little girl dont have money... lol

dkellis
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
If you build up a good relationship with your customers, they'll be willing to pay more. It seems to take a while, though (at least for me).

If they say they don't have the money, though, they're telling the truth. They really cannot afford the price you're quoting, and no amount of haggling will change that. (Haggling dialogue is usually along the lines of "won't you go a little lower" and such.)

OmegaRed60
09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
All those little girls are cheap skates.

Now I can sympathize with store owners that want you to leave if you don't buy anything. I groan every time a little girl walks into the shop.

Shadur
09-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Interesting. I haven't really tried being 'risky' with selling or buying stock yet.

Actually, that's the smart choice if you're going for merchant XP -- you get a "Just Bonus" XP award that doubles every consecutive time a buyer or seller agrees to the first offer you make, up to a maximum of 128 XP.

den rare
09-03-2010, 01:36 AM
This is how i thought it out.

The are several customer types. Take for example the old man. Give him lots of good deals without scaring him off and you can later, when you meet an old man again, charge higher and higher price. Same goes for all type of customers.

So start low, and go higher and higher :D

FYI: Look after the customer's facial expression. If they you made a borderline deal they are like -_- "meh". If you make them a good deal they will smile. If you scare them they get mad.

squall23
09-03-2010, 01:56 AM
It's funny because I as a real life consumer expect prices to get lower the more I shop at a small store.

Taerdin
09-03-2010, 08:18 AM
It's funny because I as a real life consumer expect prices to get lower the more I shop at a small store.

So very this.

Once I became a regular at one of my favourite stores I tend to get at least 10% off my purchases practically every time just cause. There have been a few times where 10-15 dollars get knocked off the price just because they didn't have what I came for in stock and I had to settle for something else.

Aerowind
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
all I've been able to figure out so far is that one little girl doesn't seem to have any money for anything.. Came in, requested food, I recommended the most expensive (oops) and she wouldn't even buy at 105%. Next time, I recommended an apple instead -> profit :P

That's because the item you're offering costs too much. When you're recommending items, if the item costs more than the amount of money you have, no amount of haggling can fix it.

For example, I've yet to find anybody who can buy that 20,000 pix pot you get after beating Charme because nobody actually has that much money yet.

Botzilla
09-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I never sold anything at less than 120% I believe...
Bought stuff between 30 and 60%.
I finished the demo with only one little trip to a dungeon on the first day it was possible, just getting to the third floor before dying and bought home a 1000 something worth item. so I tryed to play it safe after only buying from the market and the guild, also i bought a ton of those food bowls that sells 2000+)