PDA

View Full Version : Dialogue Hell

AlphaCat
09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Played the demo just now; the concept is interesting and I'm sure there is a good game here buried beneath the thick coating of JRPG kitsch. But the one thing that finally made me give up was the endless, awful dialogue. During the tutorial I actually found myself staring up at the ceiling while just clicking away, hoping that the dialogue would finally end so I could, you know, actually play the game. In the end it was too much for me, although others might not mind. You have been warned.

PNT Creed
09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
You can skip the dialogue with the ESC key.

Lim-Dul
09-03-2010, 08:53 AM
And to some people, i.e. me, the dialogue is probably the best part of the game since it's well written and fleshes out the character's personalities - something that is missing from many games these days.

sweitx
09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
And to some people, i.e. me, the dialogue is probably the best part of the game since it's well written and fleshes out the character's personalities - something that is missing from many games these days.

I think we got too spoiled by Valve games. Instead of sitting around staring at cut-scene, we are now used to having the story presented to us in term of voice dialogue while still being able to move around.

K4emic
09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I think we got too spoiled by Valve games. Instead of sitting around staring at cut-scene, we are now used to having the story presented to us in term of voice dialogue while still being able to move around.

Oh yes, I will never forget the five minute ride that kicked off the first Half-life game. I was walking ALL OVER that train cart.

Back on topic, I want to say that I enjoyed the dialogue in Recettear.

TheTruth
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Well people have their different opinions about dialogue, like in anime some people like just brainless fighting and fillers, where as some people like story driven or dialogue driven animes.

It's all to people's opinions and preferences, hey I do like cut scenes but I also like read the interesting dialogues that the writers wrote for the game/anime, if you pay close attention to the dialogue you may find out things you've never known or things that could be important in the latter on stages.

Well I do like the dialogue, it's been awhile since I play a game that had a fair amount of dialogue.

WaZzUp115
09-03-2010, 10:55 AM
For me the dialogues are among the best parts, sure some of the tutorials are a pain, but the story and character related dialogues are nice.

I guess it also boils down to how used you are to JRPGs and Visual Novels and your attention span too..

Aerowind
09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I hate when people play jRPGs and totally ignore all of the dialogue. The storyline in a jRPG is just as important as the gameplay. Ignoring one is like playing TF2 and saying you're only going to play 2fort as a spy. Sure, it's fun, but you're ignoring a massive part of the game.

MithranArkanere
09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I just set message speed to max, and then push buttons away until everything's gone.
I'm lucky I read very quickly.

But, I could use smaller letters and more texts in the message bubbles.
It's like one phrase on each.

kuehnelt
09-03-2010, 06:57 PM
OP's warning: as is immediately obvious, this is a JRPG. Love it or not, but don't complain that chess is boring because you can't micromanage your pawn to RTS victory against the knight that just took it.

More games with 'dialogue hell', please. Please please please.

Karva
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't mind it because the game is well written.

Ariolander
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Complaining that an jRPG has too much Dialogue is like complaining that a Shooter has too many Guns.

Are you sure you knew what you were getting into beforehand?

Stealth107
09-03-2010, 11:22 PM
The dialogue is epic. Ok, its not nearly so good the second, third, and umpteenth runs through, but its hilarious. I don't get all the references, but I can usually tell where one is, even if I don't know what its from. These guys really did their job well in localising this game, its almost like it was originally in english :)

PNT Creed
09-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Personally I enjoy the dialogue.

arleas
09-04-2010, 03:12 PM
So apparently TC hated this game so much that he made an account and made his very first post so he could complain about it?

Dialog in any RPG is pretty important. If all you care about is buying and selling items, I'm sure there's a better game for you than this. I used to have a friend that would do nothing all day but play this crappy little online game where you flew all over space buying low and selling high to make money for your space fortress.

TC should look into that. There's almost no dialog in it whatsoever (other than menus to navigate through the buy/sell process).

lyskan117
09-04-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm sure there is a good game here buried beneath the thick coating of JRPG kitsch.

There's no thick coating of JRPG kitsch, it IS A JRPG. You know, because it's a Japanese indie game that came out in Japan 3 years ago.

hoping that the dialogue would finally end so I could, you know, actually play the game.
The dialogue is important, because it establishes the story, gives the character personality, and ESPECIALLY at the beginning of the game, it TELLS YOU HOW TO PLAY THE GAME EFFECTIVELY. Even then, you probably won't get it right the first time (I didn't).

More games with 'dialogue hell', please. Please please please.

Can I graze through dialogue hell?

Aerowind
09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
So apparently TC hated this game so much that he made an account and made his very first post so he could complain about it?

Dialog in any RPG is pretty important. If all you care about is buying and selling items, I'm sure there's a better game for you than this. I used to have a friend that would do nothing all day but play this crappy little online game where you flew all over space buying low and selling high to make money for your space fortress.

TC should look into that. There's almost no dialog in it whatsoever (other than menus to navigate through the buy/sell process).

Oy oy oy oy oy! Don't knock EVE Online, it's one of the greatest MMOs out there. Mainly because ANYTHING is an option. Trading, Fighting, Mining, Crafting, etc. Just picks an aspect of the game you enjoy and stick to it. Not to mention it pretty much has the greatest fanbase out of any online game because you actually need half a game to play it.

EVE Online: Killing you politely.

cottonrhetoric
09-05-2010, 07:11 AM
It's hard to make a blanket statement about whether dialogue-heavy games are good or bad. They can be either. I think it worked great in the original Paper Mario (the only one I played, heh) and worked terribly in Trauma Center 2.

I personally like the dialogue in Recettear (especially the running joke about the different ways to voice agreement -- "pie-kay" being my favorite). But yeah it's not great. Just good.