PDA

View Full Version : Horribly optimized.

MrXGamer
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I have Q6600 @ 3.0GHz and GTX 295. I'm only getting 5 FPS, that's right. Only 5. Are you kidding me? Think of the best looking game out there, and I can run that max with smooth framerate.

How can I immerse myself into the world like this? I hope the final version is fixed because I have it preordered. :rolleyes:

DIENER
09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I have Q6600 @ 3.0GHz and GTX 295. I'm only getting 5 FPS, that's right. Only 5. Are you kidding me? Think of the best looking game out there, and I can run that max with smooth framerate.

How can I immerse myself into the world like this? I hope the final version is fixed because I have it preordered. :rolleyes:

Maybe its time to upgrade to 4xx or 5xxx, as I can run it fine with SSAO High 128 samples or wait for the full game and hope for performance fix.

MrXGamer
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Huh? GTX 480 is only 20% better than GTX 295. So you're suggesting that I should spend $600 for 2 more FPS? No, thanks. GTX 295 is still a beast, it beats 5700 series and maxes out every game in the market. Amnesia doesn't even support DX11 to begin with.

I just got to the cellar part in demo, and the water reflections dropped my FPS to absolutely 0. That's right. It's more demanding than Crysis, Metro 2033 and Mafia 2. Great.

WaveringRadiant
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM

my pc is a lot worse and it ran fine with everything on high.
i have a q6600 at stock speeds and an ati hd3850 with 512mbs of ram and only 2gbs of system ram. i have it on 1440x900 with all options set as high as they go. steady 60fps with vysnc on (edit, actually i have ssao samples set at 4 becuase i dont know what it means, but everything else is high as it goes)

something is wrong with your comp os/hardware bro. dont blame it on the game

MrXGamer
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
ALL of my games run perfectly fine, and they're miles ahead in graphics. This game isn't well tested for some setups.

Rogersdead
09-03-2010, 04:27 PM
ALL of my games run perfectly fine, and they're miles ahead in graphics. This game isn't well tested for some setups.

Do you honestly think that getting 5fps in this game means it's unoptimised? There is clearly a fault somewhere as the guy above stated.

MrXGamer
09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Do you honestly think that getting 5fps in this game means it's unoptimised? There is clearly a fault somewhere as the guy above stated.

Do you honestly think that all other games run magically perfect for me with far more advanced engines, but if this game runs poor, thats my hardware's fault? I probably have more knowledge of computers than you do, and own nearly 300 games on Steam. No problems with any of them. All of my drivers are updated and latest directx package installed.

Rogersdead
09-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Do you honestly think that all other games run magically perfect for me with far more advanced engines, but if this game runs poor, thats my hardware's fault? I probably have more knowledge of computers than you do, and own nearly 300 games on Steam. No problems with any of them. All of my drivers are updated and latest directx package installed.

Something might not have installed correctly, a physx driver or similar, it happens. Maybe something todo with SLI. The fact that your other games work fine means squat and as someone who knows about computers you should know this. Not to mention that the guy above said it works perfectly for him makes your unoptimised remark a moot point.

thomas_fric
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
As creator of engine I take great offense in these remarks!:o

Just kidding! :) Even though I have tested and optimized the darn engine for 3 years now, I know there might still lurk some issues.

I have just made a post at Frictional Games forum with some trouble shooting info. Looky here:
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html

Check out "Problem B".

I would think your problem is that you are using High SSAO, Edge Smooth and/or Lots of ssao samples. You see, because of reasons I cannot remember now (amnesia?) we added some graphical options that are quite intensive, even for today's monster machines. So if you max out all options the game will be terribly slow. It might also be that the drivers have some bug or whatnot, that makes them run some shader extra slowly.

Also note that Amnesia use OpenGL and most other games use Direct3D. OpenGL has unfortunately worse support in drivers, so even if your current drivers run Direc3D games perfectly, you might need to update them to get better OpenGL support.

It might also be a good idea to make a clean install of drivers (the uninstall, reboot, install - thingie) as there might be some setting lurking that OpenGL does not like.

Also want to note the engine was made on 5 year old crappy computer, so it should work on any modern machine. But as noted above, there are some issues to look out for.

I hope this was of some help! Otherwise you are welcome to make a topic in the Techincal support at our forums and we will try to give more help!

Cheers,

/Thomas

velvetmeds
09-03-2010, 04:56 PM
it might be driver related

also, check if your GFX control panel doesn't have too many forced options enabled that might conflict with in-game settings. if worse PCs run it better than yours, i'm sorry but it is indeed a problem on your part (although not necessarily your fault), no matter how well other games run for you

MrXGamer
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Something might not have installed correctly, a physx driver or similar, it happens. Maybe something todo with SLI. The fact that your other games work fine means squat and as someone who knows about computers you should know this. Not to mention that the guy above said it works perfectly for him makes your unoptimised remark a moot point.

Uh he has an ATI card, genius. Maybe it runs better for ATI users? Sometimes games don't support all cards properly. For example, Source games used to run terrible for 8800 users until Valve fixed the problem. I know all of my drivers are installed properly because it doesn't effect other games.

---

To thomas_fric:

I just played around with all Amnesia graphics settings. Figured out two problems. World reflection kills performance in water. Absolutely zero FPS until I look back at the ceiling. A combination of SSAO Resolution to "High" and SSAO Samples 128 also kills performance completely. There's simply something wrong with them. Even if I put everything else on low, it gives the same results. You should look into this issue because these kind of options in other games run fine for me. For the record, Penumbra games ran perfect on everything max.

Also, I do install my drivers fully clean and I'm on the latest WHQL from Nvidia's website. It's possible that it may require update on Nvidia's part.

I can live without SSAO Samples, but no world reflection drives me nuts. :(

thomas_fric
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
You should not have to turn off world reflection.

If you set ssao to medium, shadows to medium and samples to 8, edge smooth to off then it should run fine. That is what I run it at. Also consider dropping resolution to 1280x768 or something, if you are using something higher.

I use the preset Medium on 1280x768 on my HD 2600 and get 30fps and above most of the time.

btw, 128 ssao is really overkill. Should have put limit at 32 or something. :)

-TheDarkWolf-
09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Huh? GTX 480 is only 20% better than GTX 295. So you're suggesting that I should spend $600 for 2 more FPS? No, thanks. GTX 295 is still a beast, it beats 5700 series and maxes out every game in the market. Amnesia doesn't even support DX11 to begin with.

I just got to the cellar part in demo, and the water reflections dropped my FPS to absolutely 0. That's right. It's more demanding than Crysis, Metro 2033 and Mafia 2. Great.

I think you've just run into a compatibility issue, that's all. My Crossfire'd 5770s (equiv of 5870) runs this game like butter with all settings maxed.

Lusit
09-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Do you honestly think that all other games run magically perfect for me with far more advanced engines, but if this game runs poor, thats my hardware's fault? I probably have more knowledge of computers than you do, and own nearly 300 games on Steam.

That's rather unnecessary. No reason to flaunt your money or insult other's intelligence.

Moklakins
09-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Try restarting your computer i heard that helped for someone.

MultiVaC
09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
SSAO at 128 really kills my framerate as well. Setting it to 32 fixed my performance just fine, and I never really noticed much of a difference, visually. If I were the guys at Frictional, I would make the max setting more like 32 or 64 and let people use higher settings through config file tweaks or something. Having overkill settings accessible through the menu always causes people to think there's something wrong with the game when it kills their framerate.

CarpeSangrea
09-03-2010, 10:39 PM

300 games? Holy ♥♥♥♥...you must have no life whatsoever--therefore any opinions you may have on anything at all are completely invalid.

Rogersdead
09-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Uh he has an ATI card, genius. Maybe it runs better for ATI users? Sometimes games don't support all cards properly. For example, Source games used to run terrible for 8800 users until Valve fixed the problem. I know all of my drivers are installed properly because it doesn't effect other games.

Still going on about your other games i see, funny that though as this isn't the only game you have had problems with is it? A quick look at your history and in the first 10 pages you have/are having problems running Borderlands, Nation Red, Alien Awarm and the new Splinter Cell which you even wrote this The entire game runs at 25 FPS or below for me, and I have GTX 295/Q6600 @3.0ghz. Terribly optimized. I also see you use Vista, and it seems anyone that mentions Vista will also feel your wrath as it's a great OS isn't it, that's why it's so popular....oh wait

Tried to help and you threw it all back with insults and claims that you know alot about PC's, well from here and looking over you post history it's pretty obvious you know very little. Not to mention you clearly don't know what the word 'optimized' actually means if you're still claiming this game (and others) isn't.

Enjoy Amnesia on your fantastic, perfect pc :D

Dr. Nick
09-03-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm using a Pentium D and a 9600GT and I had 50FPS on medium the whole way through.

Hells High
09-04-2010, 12:00 AM
@ OP

I am playing this game on an Nvidia 8600 w/ P4 3.2GHz at around 40 fps (1680x1050, all high). Clearly there is a software disagreement between the game and your PC.

MrXGamer
09-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Still going on about your other games i see, funny that though as this isn't the only game you have had problems with is it? A quick look at your history and in the first 10 pages you have/are having problems running Borderlands, Nation Red, Alien Awarm and the new Splinter Cell which you even wrote this I also see you use Vista, and it seems anyone that mentions Vista will also feel your wrath as it's a great OS isn't it, that's why it's so popular....oh wait

Tried to help and you threw it all back with insults and claims that you know alot about PC's, well from here and looking over you post history it's pretty obvious you know very little. Not to mention you clearly don't know what the word 'optimized' actually means if you're still claiming this game (and others) isn't.

Enjoy Amnesia on your fantastic, perfect pc :D

Aww. Thank you for doing an in-depth research on me. I'm flattered, sweetheart.

Instead of just glancing through my post, did you even bother to check that everyone else was having issues along with me? Those games had well known technical problems, and two of them were even FIXED in a later patch. The other two are abandoned by developers.

So yeah, thank you for proving my points again. It's not even a minor stuttering problem. It's not something I can magically fix. The game simply HARD LOCKS at 5 FPS with world reflection on and other settings on "High". When it locks, then its freakin common sense that it's a problem on software end. Stop being over-defensive for a game that's only touched by a few people, and majority of those aren't even playing on High settings. All posts on low-med settings are irrelevant!

300 games? Holy ♥♥♥♥...you must have no life whatsoever--therefore any opinions you may have on anything at all are completely invalid.

You just implied you cannot afford that many games. Then suggesting me that I don't have a life? Haha. Looks like you need to get your priorities straight if you can't afford a piece of software. Don't have a nice job? Probably on welfare? My condolences, poor little man. :(

Rogersdead
09-04-2010, 01:58 AM

Instead of just glancing through my post, did you even bother to check that everyone else was having issues along with me? Those games had well known technical problems, and two of them were even FIXED in a later patch. The other two are abandoned by developers.

In-depth? lol no it took less than a minute to see your claim that every other one of your games works perfectly was infact a load of nonsense.

And which 2 games have been abandoned? Borderlands certainly hasn't and Nation Red recieved a large update yesterday and always has been well supported. And i swear Valve mentioned something about keeping Alien Swarm running with new content along the line not to mention it gets patched everytime any other source game does, which is often.
That leaves Splinter Cell, which i don't own so i'll give you that one. But your others claims are just BS just like your claims that all of your games run perfectly.

And Borderlands, Nation Red and Alien Swarm run flawlessly for me and always have done...

And your last comment.. Because he doesn't have 300 games means he cannot afford that amount and is on welfare? Maybe think he would rather spend his money on more worthwhile things like a house, car and holidays abroad?
He actually implied that by you owning 300 steam games that maybe all you do is play games, reffering to you not actually having much of a life.

iTimmeh
09-04-2010, 02:28 AM
It could be a problem with the game, it could be an incompatibility between something you're running and the game. Coming to the forum with an attitude problem isn't going to get you any help.

Or did you just want to rant?

zoinks99
09-04-2010, 02:40 AM
So yeah, thank you for proving my points again. It's not even a minor stuttering problem. It's not something I can magically fix. The game simply HARD LOCKS at 5 FPS with world reflection on and other settings on "High". When it locks, then its freakin common sense that it's a problem on software end.
Did you try lowering SSAO yet? Ambient occlusion doesn't need that many passes to get a very pleasing effect. You should start with the minimum and increase it until it doesn't look grainy.

The hard lock of 5 FPS probably is just the minimum threshold in the game engine for physical simulation purposes or something. If it is I bet when you hit 5 FPS things appear to move in slow-motion too. It would be interesting if you could test this.

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of putting artificial limits in the interface. You can't even come close to maxing out Crysis without a custom config file. Otherwise everybody with a $300 graphics card would try pushing the sliders to infinity and say the game is broken.

morons_update
09-04-2010, 02:43 AM
game runs fine for me @40+ fps
do you even know what SSAO is??

set it to 32samples, i bet you had yours set to 128... which is overkill for even the best machine money can buy for a quality difference of just a couple of pixels.

HuNTi2k9
09-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Ok, i played through the Demo (it's nice and i preordered it) but now I have some thoughts on the performance of the game:

- The water reflection is really badly optimized. When theres a lot of water around you and the option is enabled, i get a fps drop around 50-60%!!
- SSAO: On medium it runs very well (64 samples). On high even the newest machine out there should have problems I think

Overall I think "Fric" have to do some optimization before the full version comes out. The biggest problem is the water reflection. I dont think there are that much effects, that can turn down the fps that much.
So, please - optimize the game a bit more :)

Otherwise - the guys did a great job with the game. I'm really looking foreward to play the full version!

Larry1212
09-04-2010, 06:14 AM
*Popcorn*

Demo runs extremely well for me with all settings maxed at a resolution of 1920x1080.

Win7 64bit Home Premium,
Core i5-750 @ 2.67Ghz,
ASUS CuCore 5770 1GB.

Built it myself too. ;)

MrXGamer, you need to calm down. As far as I can see people were trying to be helpful to begin with but your attitude changed that. :|

No one's saying your computer sucks but if you're generalising that the game is badly optimized based on a single case you're going to get some comments/suggestions that point towards your computer, like some incompatible drivers and what not. Hell, anything could have an effect on performance including your sound card, are those drivers up to date? Is your BIOS up to date, etc.?

Also, some newer drivers aren't necessarily better than previous ones. I know for a fact my old nVidia card had much better performance from older drivers(such as the 179.xx series) than the newer ones, sometimes i'd experience great performance in one game but terrible, stop motion, gameplay in another and have to change drivers to fix these issues that may only fix performance for a single game. It's the same with ATi. The Catalyst 10.6 drivers are horrible for Borderlands but run other games such as BC2 as smoothe as butter.

MrXGamer
09-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Ok, i played through the Demo (it's nice and i preordered it) but now I have some thoughts on the performance of the game:

- The water reflection is really badly optimized. When theres a lot of water around you and the option is enabled, i get a fps drop around 50-60%!!
- SSAO: On medium it runs very well (64 samples). On high even the newest machine out there should have problems I think

Overall I think "Fric" have to do some optimization before the full version comes out. The biggest problem is the water reflection. I dont think there are that much effects, that can turn down the fps that much.
So, please - optimize the game a bit more :)

Otherwise - the guys did a great job with the game. I'm really looking foreward to play the full version!

^ LOL. This is exactly what I reported, and no one believed me. The water reflections have AIDS on some setups. It's good to see someone else reporting this. As more people are checking out the demo, I'm sure there will be more. All these blind defenders are served. Just because it runs fine for you and you obviously love the game doesn't mean that anyone who reports issues is a liar. Seriously, I wasted my time explaining this in ten different posts. God forbid someone tries to argue with these nutjobs.

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

PeeWee1477
09-04-2010, 07:46 AM
^ LOL. This is exactly what I reported, and no one believed me. The water reflections have AIDS on some setups. It's good to see someone else reporting this. As more people are checking out the demo, I'm sure there will be more. All these blind defenders are served. Just because it runs fine for you and you obviously love the game doesn't mean that anyone who reports issues is a liar. Seriously, I wasted my time explaining this in ten different posts. God forbid someone tries to argue with these nutjobs.

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

But you're still picking and choosing what you want to make yourself look better. The guy that you quoted also says that maxing out SSAO is a bad idea even on the highest end machines. Did you turn it down yet to see if this makes any difference?

Velcrochicken
09-04-2010, 08:41 AM
OP I dont know what your talking about. 128 SSAO samples is nuts. I even get around 48 frames average with dual 5850s and 128 SSAO samples. The game is fine. You just need to set realistic expectations.

Skylants
09-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I have a GTX460 with an e8400 @ 3.83GHz. I'm running it with medium SSAO at 32 samples, everything else is maxed and I get a solid 60fps (even when looking at the water). Looks like OP has some software conflicts.

Hellxfire979
09-04-2010, 09:32 AM
played the demo no problem (60 FPS no drops)@ 1600x900 res, maxed settings

windows 7 pro 64bit
Intel E6750 2.66GHz duo CPU
XFX nforce 680i Sli mobo
8GB ddr2 OCZ RAM
2x GeForce 8800 GTS GPU (in SLI)

Crutchley29
09-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Your CPU and GPU are terribly out of date though, maybe approaching this with an attitude that your PC is no where near high end would have been better.

PeeWee1477
09-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Your CPU and GPU are terribly out of date though, maybe approaching this with an attitude that your PC is no where near high end would have been better.

Hahaha his hardware is not "terribly out of date". Great, now we get the guys who think that hardware that wasn't released last week is out of date.

nightside187
09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
i7 950
gtx 295
6gb
win 7 64

everything maxed ssao 32
1980x1024

low 15fps
max 31fps

I play bfbc2 all maxed whit vsync on and steady 60fps .
seem the game is not well optimized for the gtx 295 or me and op dont know what were doing :)

(I just tryed in single gpu and didnt see any fps drop so i suspect the gtx 295 and this game got a sli problem. )

jens_fric
09-04-2010, 10:34 AM
The game is capable of running at acceptable performance on 1.4ghz cpu, with 512MB ram and a Radeon 9600 with 64MB. This on a computer from 2005.

So if you have a problem with modern hardware, where the game performs really poor, chances are there is some specific conflict going on. Nothing wrong with the hardware, nothing wrong with the game, but maybe something wrong with a setting, a combination of software installed on the computer or a ton of other things.

I suggest that you first try to run the game with the default high settings and see how that works. Then increase the settings step by step to see what could be the cause.

More important, check the control panel for the graphics card. For example SLI can cause problem if it is activated, even if you only have 1 card and it is not really used. Or if you are forcing a setting like FSAA then that could be the cause, the rendering technique in Amnesia does not work with FSAA so this could very well be the cause. So turn off all optimizations/auto settings and forced settings for the graphics control panel and see if that helps.

If you do manage to nail down a cause, please let us know and we can always look into seeing if something can be fixed within the game to make it behave better.

Rumina
09-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I didn't even play it on my gaming computer, the one I'm on I'm running a 7950 GT at 1680x1050 with medium/high settings and get very smooth gameplay... If he's having issues running it then it definitely isn't because his hardware is "out of date".

El_Chalupa
09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Maybe its time to upgrade to 4xx or 5xxx, as I can run it fine with SSAO High 128 samples or wait for the full game and hope for performance fix.

*Cringe* I can't believe you looked at a GTX 295 and thought "upgrade". My god there are some money spending nerds here.

Alpha&Omega
09-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Sort your pc out and stop blaming the game.

I run this game maxed everything and not a single hic-up at all.

cmf0106
09-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Same issue, disable windows aero may fix it as it did for me. Aero and this game is not a problem for everyone, but it is for some. The developers are aware of this issue as well.

MassacrMan
09-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Goodness I don't understand where all these issues are coming from, This game runs like butter on my system..

Everything is maxed out at 1920x1080.

Core i5 750 Quad core @ 2.67 GHz
Radeon HD 5770 1GB CuCore
4 GB DDR3 RAM

Denton22
09-04-2010, 02:03 PM
My game really slows down when i set it to 1280x1024 cant even go through the menu

Windows7 (X64)
Intel core 2duo E8500 (2X3,16)
Geforce 8800GTS 512MB(new.rev)
2GB Ram because 2 are gone ...

Chapa9dj
09-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Worked like a charm all maxed out in my 3 years old PC.
Not even a single framerate drop. All stable just like in Penumbra.

AMD +4000 Dual Core 2.10
Geforce NX8600GTS 512MB DDR3 OC Edition
4Gb Ram DDR2 800.
Windows XP (SP3)
All high and native resolution 1440x900.

Hell this is going to be awesome :D.
I can't wait.

Cheesycake
09-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I end up dipping quite a bit on my system, especially the water segment which slaughters the framerate pretty badly. I can usually keep it somewhat smooth, but with everything on preset high (which is what the game autodetects) it isn't high enough for Vsync and it will tank to 30FPS if I turn it on. Water part brings me way down to the point where it makes running down the hallway troublesome.

Core 2 Quad @2.33GHz
8GB RAM
8800 GTX 768MB

Running at 1920x1080, Vista 64bit

kaydee
09-04-2010, 04:27 PM
i7 920 @ stock speed
GTX 460 1GB SLI
6GB ram
Vista Ultimate 64

The game was running without stuttering, but had a little feeling that the FPS was at around 30ish with all the settings max.

Res @ 1600x900
Vsync on
All settings @ high with SSAO @ 128.
Edge AA enabled through the advanced settings, which is unticked by default.

Although I have XFI, couldn't select HW sound.

*Added: With this PC settings, I can run Metro 2033 with DX11 options on and 4xAA on, with all settings @ very high.

SSWeltenfeind
09-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Don't come here to troll.

I have the same problem. It is not a problem of my hardware, it's a problem of the game. I can run games like Metro 2033 with more than 60 fps without any problem and Amnesia runs at 10 fps...

Spectlaser
09-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Dual-GPU cards tend to not be terribly well supported by the manufacturers -- both ATI and NVIDIA. They're very niche cards and as a result they don't have as much priority as the more mainstream cards. A bit ironic as these are the highest of the high-end.

The GTX 295 is like two GTX 260 GPUs in a single slot. There may not be proper SLI support for this game so your GPU may only be running with a single GPU. That may be the cause of the low performance.

SSWeltenfeind
09-04-2010, 06:49 PM
The problem is solved!

What I did:
1) I deleted the Amnesia folder on My Documents.
2) I restarted.
3) I started the game again xD

gijas04
09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Ran fine on my Core 2 Duo 2.66 ghz but I did have some slight slow downs when turning around sometimes to view rooms and paintings.

Razputine
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM

How can I immerse myself into the world like this? I hope the final version is fixed because I have it preordered. :rolleyes: Umm... I'm just gonna point out that I'm running on a mac book (not pro, just mac book) and it runs around 30 fps on nearly maxed graphics. Soooo... I have no idea what's wrong with your computer.

doominator70
09-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Runs fine on my P4 1.5 Ghz with a 6150 SE and 256 MB of ram... *Sarcasm* I understand that people like good graphics and want to run all there games on max settings but must there always be a big arguement about optimization when the settings of a game scale to outrageous feats? For example what if they made a game that scales between a low end system to a space age system (Crysis for the 2001 computer that scales to a 2015 estimated computer) The second that game comes out someone will pump the graphical settings up all the way and then there computer bursts into flames... Proving sometimes optimal graphics arent always everything. If the game looks nice enough at 16x AA and the graphical difference to the human eye is almost invisible except for the performance cost why tweak the AA to like 64x AA(I understand this game doesnt)

Kaixx
09-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Played the demo with a Q6600 and ATI Radeon HD 4890. The game ran extremely smoothly on everything set to high.

vaibhav89
09-05-2010, 01:30 AM
hey , you should upgrade your processor ,
CPU is bottlenecking the GPU
go for the core i7 CPU

Rogersdead
09-05-2010, 03:21 AM
hey , you should upgrade your processor ,
CPU is bottlenecking the GPU
go for the core i7 CPU

Have you got any proof? Or did you see someone else say this once and thought it sounded good?

marsson
09-05-2010, 03:55 AM
I tried the demo and it ran flawlessly at 60 fps with everything maxed except SSAO. But when I noticed that the parallax didn't seem to be activated even though it's activated in the options, all the walls are extremely flat compared to videos on the net, I tried forcing it on in the config-file since I couldn't find any quality settings for Parallax in the game. I changed ParallaxQuality="0" to ParallaxQuality="1".
Then the fps took a dive from steady 60-ish to 4-5 fps, but it looks a lot better than before.
My specs are:

Amd Phenom x4 9850BE OC'd to 2,9 ghz
HIS HD4850 Turbo 512MB OC'd
4 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 64bit

And all the drivers are up to date... so is my pc too weak for this game with Parallax forcefully enabled or is it something else? The only setting that I can see for Parallax in options is "On/Off".
Oh and by the way, I use a pair of Logitech G35 7.1 surround headphones but I can't get the surround sound to work at all... is there any solution for this?

Denton22
09-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Ok i found out, that on every second start i have almost zero FPS!

With the same Grapic options. When i dont get zero FPS everything runs fine, even the water part.

Edit: Ok its not the second start, its the first start. Dont foget first start. Always the... the ... first start....

lucky644
09-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I also have performance issues, I'm trying to tweak it now.

E8400
GTX 280
4GB DDR2

One of the settings is killing performance for me, just trying to figure out which one.

MrXGamer
09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
LOL @ people rating this thread one star. There are at least ten people who have reported these issues by now. Stop being a blind follower, and realize that there are others who want to enjoy this game as much as you do.

If you don't want to help developers figure out the cause of this problem, then please get out.

What we know so far:

- SLI is not supported for dual-chip cards like GTX 295. That's half the power wasted. Perhaps send a request to Nvidia for driver update?
- Problem is definitely related to "World Reflection".
- From what I experienced, game didn't do any first time setup. That could be related to this problem.
- It also doesn't like 1080p or above resolutions. On 1680x1050, I gain almost 50% more FPS which is quite unusual. In other games, you only lose a tiny amount from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200. Well tested on my part. I play Crysis and Metro 2033 on 1920x1200, and FPS stays smooth at all times. Considering that this engine is outdated, I expect more.

lucky644
09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Disabling world reflections didn't help me, game runs great with all options disabled and everything set to low though! :D

Saijin_Naib
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Turn off SSAO.
I'm running it cranked on an e7600 and GT240 fully maxed (SSAO disabled though), runs butter.

thePyro_13
09-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Turn off SSAO.
I'm running it cranked on an e7600 and GT240 fully maxed (SSAO disabled though), runs butter.

This worked for me, Although only once(And this only got me to a playable FPS, not a comfortable one). Seems next time I launched the game it went back to 5FPS. Despite the settings still being the same.

The performance isn't consistent with the settings I choose. I've had it run at a playable FPS with everything on high, yet now I can't get above 5FPS with everything on low.

Something is broken. I hope the devs can sort it out before release. It runs fine on my bro's computer(A very similar set-up, using an intel processor).

My specs:
AMD Athlon X2 5200+
Nvidia Gforce 9800GT
2GB Ram
Windows 7

PentagonBlack
09-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Running this on an Intel i5 520M @ 2.4Ghz/Radeon Mobility 5650 on high presets and I get a steady 60FPS on solid ground. The water area is pretty taxing, but it still never drops below 40. Honestly, I'm amazed by how well it runs on my system. A very pleasant surprise. :)

Stixsworld
09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
I dont see how you can say this game is horribly optimized...

I can easily run the game with nHancer set for Anti-Aliasing to be set as Combined at 32xS and with Anisotropic to 16x and transparent AA at 8x Supersampling with no issues at all...infact makes everything look waaaay more realistic...

---Stixsmaster

Mr. Saturn
09-06-2010, 12:32 PM
*raises hand* what does SSAO stand for?

DV8ing1
09-06-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not having any real problems. I have the game nearly maxed I think. I only run a res of 1600x900 on my plasma tv though. It's probably no where near 60 fps, but its very playable and the water didn't make much of a difference.

Pentium 4 3.2ghz
2 gigs ram
Nvidia gt240 1gb video card
Windows Vista

marsson
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. It's a shader technique that enhances the graphics by adding shadows to places where it'll look good... Kind of. At least that's a simple way to explain it, though it probably does more than that.

Mr. Saturn
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Ah ok. Have some rep.

I was afraid of screwing with that setting as I had no idea what it was or did. Now I know I can shut it off.

marsson
09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah you'll get a big performance boost by shutting it off.

ninjinx
09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm running it at a great resolution of 2960x1050 (dualscreen setup), everything maxed out, and a solid 60 fps. The water didn't seem to drop my fps notably.
No complaints from me!

Hardware:
RADEON HD 5770
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz Quadcore
4GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz
Ubuntu 10.04 64bit

Ganger
09-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Must be something wrong with you system if your only getting 5fps. The game runs fine and smooth on my 2x GTX 260 cards.

trek554
09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
some of you people are full of crap claiming to run highest settings. to me highest settings means EVERYTHING as high as will go and you aren't doing that on some of those systems. I am getting 5-10 fps on all highest settings with a gtx260 and E8500 at 1920x1080. the game is an indoor game that looks like it is from 2003 yet it runs almost like Crysis does on integrated graphics. heck I just played through the awesome looking Metro 2033 on high(NOT very high) with 30-40 fps yet this game is a slideshow. lol

anyway will try it with samples lower to see how it goes.

EDIT: with 32 samples I was getting 15-20 fps. I dropped to 8 samples and got 25-30 fps. well then I turned of vsync and I am now getting 45-50fps with 8 samples which is fine. why even have 128 samples as option since its clear no normal card will be able to run it?

Madmanden
09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Athlon II x4
4gb ram
radeon 4850
2048x1152
Everything maxed and SSAO on high and 16

running around 30-40 fps

fedaykin6
09-06-2010, 10:57 PM
OP's computer is broken. I have a weaker comp than he does (e8400 + 4850) and it runs very well at 25-50 fps, all settings high, ssao samples 64.

Saijin_Naib
09-06-2010, 11:01 PM
some of you people are full of crap claiming to run highest settings. to me highest settings means EVERYTHING as high as will go and you aren't doing that on some of those systems.
Yes. To you. To me, highest settings is the highest settings across all options that contribute noticeably to the quality of the image or sound, etc.

SSAO is an incredibly subtle effect technology and the difference it makes in the few scenes I tested was minimal at best, and certainly (to me) not worth the extra performance hit. Besides, with the color palette and lighting scheme in the game SSAO isn't really worth it. You're not getting many strongly contrasting light sources or materials that would really make the effect of SSAO pop and be noticeable to most people.

Madmanden
09-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Yes. To you. To me, highest settings is the highest settings across all options that contribute noticeably to the quality of the image or sound, etc.

SSAO is an incredibly subtle effect technology and the difference it makes in the few scenes I tested was minimal at best, and certainly (to me) not worth the extra performance hit. Besides, with the color palette and lighting scheme in the game SSAO isn't really worth it. You're not getting many strongly contrasting light sources or materials that would really make the effect of SSAO pop and be noticeable to most people.

Yeah i think the only games where i really feet SSAO made a big difference is Borderlands and the new Medal of Honor because they use the effect so well. Oh i vaugely remember HAWX using it well too but that might just be me. SSAO is very hard to implement correctly and most of the time it is never worth the performance hit.

trek554
09-06-2010, 11:09 PM

SSAO is an incredibly subtle effect technology and the difference it makes in the few scenes I tested was minimal at best, and certainly (to me) not worth the extra performance hit. Besides, with the color palette and lighting scheme in the game SSAO isn't really worth it. You're not getting many strongly contrasting light sources or materials that would really make the effect of SSAO pop and be noticeable to most people.my point was that people love to say "maxed" or "highest" settings without actually divulging the details. its things like DOF, SSAO, AA and such that can take a massive framerate hit even on the fastest gpus. I just want people to be clear instead of acting like they can run it on highest settings while claiming something must be wrong with someones else pc. there is already some nut that runs around the Steam forums claiming to run Metro 2033 on ALL highest settings at 1920x1080 at 60 fps with a single 5870. that kind of nonsense helps no one as they try to figure out why their framerates aren't great.

Esthin
09-07-2010, 12:33 AM
I can run it on my pretty crappy PC.

Probably a bug with certain hardware, they'll fix it.

DrMelon
09-07-2010, 05:38 AM
The demo works just fine on a 9800.
Perhaps you should check for other issues with hardware (or perhaps software that may be running in the background and disrupting something?)

Kidbanhammer
09-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Nah it's your computer, get a new one.

DOOMJESUS
09-07-2010, 10:14 AM

it must suck to be such a mighty expert while the skills to get this game to run properly on your pc elude you.

it's ok to place blame on others, it's your right as a human being to do so at every opportunity because your problems running this game couldn't possibly be caused by anything you're doing. no, no ,no, it's not you that's failing...

if your money is spent you are truly screwed and have no one to blame but yourself. who do you think can help you with that?

trek554
09-07-2010, 10:14 AM
again more ridiculous comments. you people will also get 5-10 fps if you run EVERYTHING turned on and on highest settings with 128 samples. :rolleyes:

toquio3
09-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I just posted this on another thread, but I ran the demo with everything on high and the game purred like a kitten.

win xp sp3
1gb ram
geforce gt 240
intel pentium D CPU 2.80ghz

So whatever problems you're having, it cant be the game alone.

trek554
09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I just posted this on another thread, but I ran the demo with everything on high and the game purred like a kitten.

win xp sp3
1gb ram
geforce gt 240
intel pentium D CPU 2.80ghz

So whatever problems you're having, it cant be the game alone.BS. you are NOT running EVERYTHING on high with 128 samples.

toquio3
09-07-2010, 10:53 AM
BS. you are NOT running EVERYTHING on high with 128 samples.

Ah yes I found those settings on the advanced tab. No I wasnt, they were on 16. Im not sure what that setting does, I never noticed it on other games. But anyway, the game looks great with the ones I ran it with.

Why nitpick over this when the game looks so good already with the standard sample setting?

Ps - also, no need to be so defensive.

Madmanden
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
BS. you are NOT running EVERYTHING on high with 128 samples.

Just realize that 128 samples is pure overkill. 32 should be equal to a "very high" setting. You will hardly notice the difference from 16 to 32.

trek554
09-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Just realize that 128 samples is pure overkill. 32 should be equal to a "very high" setting. You will hardly notice the difference from 16 to 32.

Ah yes I found those settings on the advanced tab. No I wasnt, they were on 16. Im not sure what that setting does, I never noticed it on other games. But anyway, the game looks great with the ones I ran it with.

Why nitpick over this when the game looks so good already with the standard sample setting?

Ps - also, no need to be so defensive. well I was being defensive because I am tired of people making inaccurate claims and acting like something is wrong with the OP's comp. most people don't even know those extra settings are there and certainly don't have them maxed when they claim to be running "everything" on high.

yes I know that high samples aren't needed but I was just saying that IS the reason that it was running slow for the OP. ;)

knifee
09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I had a similar experience to the OP (np running most games, but very low fps in this).

Anyway after doing all the normal things i tried on the off chance setting the CPU affinity to just one core. After this the game ran fine for me.

Like the OP I've also got a quad core CPU and i've seen another thread on the frictional board where a quad core owner has similar sounding problems, so I think it might be this that's causing some of the issues.

Anyway, after some experimenting it seems that the affinity needs to be set while the Frictional games/Nordic thingy splash screens are being shown and before you get to the load profile bit.

So, that fixed it for me. Hope it helps.

zoinks99
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
The demo works fine for me and I have a really old PC. Here are my specs:

P4 3.2 HT
3850 512MB
2GB DDR1
XP Pro 32

Here are the settings I used:
SSAO Quality: Medium
SSAO Samples: 16
Edge smoothing: Off
Vsync: Off
World reflection: On
Trilinear AF/16x
Everything else on High.

I also edited the config file to use the hardware interface for my X-Fi card. Now surround sound is working too.

marsson
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
How can you run it with the exact same settings that I do? :O I get around 30-40 fps in most locations (sometimes lower) with these settings and my specs are:

Amd Phenom x4 9850BE 2,9 ghz
HIS HD4850 512 mb OC'd
4 gigs of ram
Win7 64bit.

By the way, about editing the config-file, how do I do it? This is what the log says for me:

Initializing OpenAL
Available OpenAL devices:
0. Generic Software on Speakers (2- Logitech G35 Headset)(OpenAL default)
Trying to open device ''... Success!
Number of mono sources: 32
Streaming setup: 4 Buffers x 262144 bytes each

zoinks99
09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm probably using a lower resolution than you. And I don't know exactly what FPS I'm getting (not bothering with Fraps), but it's smooth. I'm using Catalyst 10.6 if that makes any difference. It could also be that the game doesn't benefit from multithreading and Win7 may be adding overhead.

I'm just saying, it's way more than 5 FPS. Somebody in this thread needs to turn down their SSAO samples and chill out.

marsson
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
If you refer to me I'm not angry/irritated or furious about anything ;P just wondering. By the way, would love to get some help about the surround sound, posted info in my last post.

zoinks99
09-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I didn't mean you :)

For surround I just followed these instructions (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16864721&postcount=7). That post should probably be stickied or something.

Edit: To be more specific, I picked the number from my log file that said "Generic Hardware on SB X-Fi Audio" instead of "Generic Software". After that it just worked and I didn't notice any audio glitches. YMMV.

marsson
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Hm well yeah I've seen that post too, but for me it only says "Generic software". No hardware-thingie to be seen anywhere. Might be because I use a usb-surround headset and don't have my integrated "soundcard" enabled :/

zoinks99
09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't have any experience with USB sound devices. Does yours support hardware OpenAL? If it does make sure you get the latest OAL runtimes.

marsson
09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah according to wiki it's fully capable of OpenAL. I'll try downloading the latest runtimes!
Hm, no difference after installing the latest runtimes, but the question is if it installed anything at all since it barely took a second before the "Installation Complete" showed up... :S

Kaikou
09-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I just wanted to say...

That MrXGamer guy must be an incredibly annoying person to associate with. The type of person that snaps viciously at anybody that tries to correct/help him while coming to wild conclusions where the fault is never his own.

The guy is trying to run the game with 128 SSAO samples on high quality, gets terrible FPS, and blames the game's optimization?

Give me a break. That's like complaining to Crytek that Crysis is terribly optimized because he gets horrible FPS while running 128x anti-aliasing. Completely overkill.

Sure the Frictional guys might have goofed by allowing such a high SSAO sample number, but the guy certainly doesn't know as much about computers as he thinks he does if he expects his rig to run 128 samples of high quality SSAO at a reasonable framerate.

kaydee
09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
There is a way to enable HW openal, but the game crashes randomly. I've gotten a blue screen once, and other weird crashes.

To enable HWbased openal, you will need to edit once file under your document folder/amnesia/main_settings.cfg

When you check the hpl.txt file, you can see the game detects your soundcards and whatnots. If you DO have SB based, fully openal capable soundcard (which means support EAX), open that txt file and memo the soundcard number.

Initializing Sound Module
--------------------------------------------------------
Initializing OpenAL
Available OpenAL devices:
0. Generic Software on Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
1. Generic Software on SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)
2. Generic Software on Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
3. Generic Software on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
4. SB X-Fi Audio [EC00](OpenAL default)
Trying to open device 'Generic Software on Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)'... Success!
Number of mono sources: 32
Streaming setup: 4 Buffers x 262144 bytes each

After, goto main_settings.cfg

<Sound Device="0" Volume="1.000000" MaxChannels="32" StreamBuffers="4" StreamBufferSize="262144" />

change the sound device value to the corresponding soundcard number in hpl.txt file

The frictional disabled this feature due to the random crash.

EliteTemptation
09-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm on 1440x900 with max settings, 8x AA / SSAO

on a core 2 quad

game is running @ whatever its cap is, maybe you're doing something wrong or you have your AA set too high

trek554
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm on 1440x900 with max settings, 8x AA / SSAO

on a core 2 quad

game is running @ whatever its cap is, maybe you're doing something wrong or you have your AA set too highlets not start this nonsesne all over again. pay attention to thread because he was obviously running 128 samples and you are obviously not. :rolleyes:

trek554
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I just wanted to say...

That MrXGamer guy must be an incredibly annoying person to associate with. The type of person that snaps viciously at anybody that tries to correct/help him while coming to wild conclusions where the fault is never his own.

The guy is trying to run the game with 128 SSAO samples on high quality, gets terrible FPS, and blames the game's optimization?

Give me a break. That's like complaining to Crytek that Crysis is terribly optimized because he gets horrible FPS while running 128x anti-aliasing. Completely overkill.

Sure the Frictional guys might have goofed by allowing such a high SSAO sample number, but the guy certainly doesn't know as much about computers as he thinks he does if he expects his rig to run 128 samples of high quality SSAO at a reasonable framerate.well its pretty silly to put a setting in there that nobody can actually run. your Crysis analogy is not very good because there is no such thing as 128x AA. also most people know what AA is but having SSAO samples was certainly something new.

kaydee
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
well its pretty silly to put a setting in there that nobody can actually run.

That aint no true.

As I've stated before:

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
GTX 460 1GB SLI

I can run the game @ 1600 x 900 with SSAO 128, all settings @ high with edge smoothing ticked and Vsync on.

The game runs fine, had no FPS dropping. But maybe due to the FPS cap, it feels like it's running @ 30FPSish.

McPoo
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Dear MrXGamer,

The fact that you blame your 5FPS on the actual Amnesia engine tells me you know absolutely nothing about computing. "Over 300 games on steam...." You're joking right? Please tell me for the love of god that you are trolling..... I'm running a Q9650 with a nvidia 275 and the game is silk smooth. Your issue sounds like overlapping forced settings to me but I guess you're just too ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and ignorant to even think of that. You know nothing about computers and you're either trolling or just some angry 12 year old with a expensive PC mommy or daddy bought you. Stay out of the forums or just delete your system 32 folder please.

EliteTemptation
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
lets not start this nonsesne all over again. pay attention to thread because he was obviously running 128 samples and you are obviously not. :rolleyes:

why would anybody want to use that much, I don't even think it improves quality, maybe it will make the image slightly more sharp, but who the hell looks at all those walls and crap, just setting it to 2x removes the squiggly stuff, unfortanately it adds an aimer delay aswell, but this is a singleplayer experience so that doesn't even matter

trek554
09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
why would anybody want to use that much, I don't even think it improves quality, maybe it will make the image slightly more sharp, but who the hell looks at all those walls and crap, just setting it to 2x removes the squiggly stuff, unfortanately it adds an aimer delay aswell, but this is a singleplayer experience so that doesn't even matterI agree but that has nothing to do with what I actually said though. you acted as if you were running the same settings as him and I was just pointing out that he was using 128 samples. ;)

CammoDude
09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Nothing cracks me up more than someone kicking and screaming about not being able to run settings that you have to change manually to get in the first place. I've played games on medium settings many times where medium settings actually made a difference. I saw it as a goal for a future upgrade. Now it's hard these days to even see a major difference between medium and high with all the ported games out there.

Kaikou
09-14-2010, 10:51 PM
well its pretty silly to put a setting in there that nobody can actually run. your Crysis analogy is not very good because there is no such thing as 128x AA. also most people know what AA is but having SSAO samples was certainly something new.

No it doesn't exist, but it illustrates my point just the same.

Basically the guy was trying to run the game with super overkill specs that would require a crossfire/SLI configuration when he's running a single GTX 295, and blamed the game for being "horribly optimized".

He was pretty quick to cast the blame on the game and not his own lack of understanding as to how much processing power it would actually take to run Amnesia with everything literally maxed, thanks to the crazy SSAO option.

Should they patch the game, limiting that option to 32x or 64x max would probably be a good idea.

Reaper1337
09-15-2010, 04:30 AM
i7 920 D0 4Ghz
6GB DDR3 1600mhz T1
ATI 5850 1GB

everything maxed with 1920x1200 rez, great FPS, great engine!

trek554
09-15-2010, 04:38 AM
i7 920 D0 4Ghz
6GB DDR3 1600mhz T1
ATI 5850 1GB

everything maxed with 1920x1200 rez, great FPS, great engine!you don't have 128 samples so "everything" isn't maxed.

cocidius
09-15-2010, 06:13 AM

like hell you do, you can claim to know more but your arrogance proves otherwise.
It could be a multitude of different contributing factors that is causing instability with your game... your drives, your general system setup, background tasks, temperature issues. the game like you said.

Point being the odds of it being poorly optimized is low considering I have a system running a 6600 (my old old old system) and it runs it perfectly fine. It's working fine on my mac as well ironically. But the point i'm making is before you claim it's poorly optimized take a look at your own system first!

MrXGamer
09-15-2010, 09:46 AM
The amount of ignorance in this topic is astoundingly high!

People are laughing at GTX 295 and suggesting me to Quad SLI it when it's clearly WELL KNOWN that the game doesn't support SLI to begin with. Even my single GTX 295 (a dual-chip) is being 50% utilized by the game, and then people are telling me that there's something wrong with my setup?! That's laughable to say the least.

It isn't just SSAO. World reflection totally kills performance, and at my current 8 samples of SSAO, performance is still not on par with my hardware.

And if you're so proud of your ancient hardware running this game fine, that's only because developers are using old hardware like yourself. It was well tested for older setups while newer ones have to rely on pure luck.

Please don't be so blind. There are MANY people who have reported performance problems on this forum, and other forums on the net. This is actually the first community I have seen that blindly defends the game instead of seeking for problem causes. I know we may never receive a patch because of financial problems at Frictional Games. Whatever, I'll enjoy the game with few options off.

like hell you do, you can claim to know more but your arrogance proves otherwise.
It could be a multitude of different contributing factors that is causing instability with your game... your drives, your general system setup, background tasks, temperature issues. the game like you said.

Yeah, yeah.. even the 12 year old kids know about general setups and temperatures these days. Thanks for stopping by, though.

Saijin_Naib
09-15-2010, 09:55 AM
World reflection has 0 performance impact on my (same generation as your card) GT240. Something is not quite right with your setup.

SSAO ♥♥♥♥ is to be expected, 128 samples is just... stupid high.

SixSicSix
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB DDR2 1200
ATI HD4870

no framerate issues here, everything maxed EXCEPT SSAO, SSAO is off.

cocidius
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
The amount of ignorance in this topic is astoundingly high!

People are laughing at GTX 295 and suggesting me to Quad SLI it when it's clearly WELL KNOWN that the game doesn't support SLI to begin with. Even my single GTX 295 (a dual-chip) is being 50% utilized by the game, and then people are telling me that there's something wrong with my setup?! That's laughable to say the least.

It isn't just SSAO. World reflection totally kills performance, and at my current 8 samples of SSAO, performance is still not on par with my hardware.

And if you're so proud of your ancient hardware running this game fine, that's only because developers are using old hardware like yourself. It was well tested for older setups while newer ones have to rely on pure luck.

Please don't be so blind. There are MANY people who have reported performance problems on this forum, and other forums on the net. This is actually the first community I have seen that blindly defends the game instead of seeking for problem causes. I know we may never receive a patch because of financial problems at Frictional Games. Whatever, I'll enjoy the game with few options off.

Yeah, yeah.. even the 12 year old kids know about general setups and temperatures these days. Thanks for stopping by, though.

Yes, too bad I work as an software engineer but oh well.

World reflection has 0 performance impact on my (same generation as your card) GT240. Something is not quite right with your setup.

SSAO ♥♥♥♥ is to be expected, 128 samples is just... stupid high.

/thread

wyrm187
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
im no techie but the other day it was dropping frames for the first time since Ive gotten it. I had a youtube video open in the back round and shut it down and restarted and it was fine. Same thing happened a day later - I left youtube video up and started the game and it was slow and choppy and booted me .. . .just saying

cocidius
09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
im no techie but the other day it was dropping frames for the first time since Ive gotten it. I had a youtube video open in the back round and shut it down and restarted and it was fine. Same thing happened a day later - I left youtube video up and started the game and it was slow and choppy and booted me .. . .just saying

if it's his virus scan I will literally die with hysterics...

Retailnothx
09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
OMG

This thread is ♥♥♥♥in joke!

OP:

- your cpu a ♥♥♥♥in bottleneck for your vga, you're like, using a Ferrari engine on a Smart.

- this game CAN have serious issues with SLI, I have no issues with 9800GTX+ x2, BUT, a lot of people have probs with modern gpus. Turn off one of your cards, this will solve the problem.

Dual-GPU cards tend to not be terribly well supported by the manufacturers -- both ATI and NVIDIA. They're very niche cards and as a result they don't have as much priority as the more mainstream cards. A bit ironic as these are the highest of the high-end.

The GTX 295 is like two GTX 260 GPUs in a single slot. There may not be proper SLI support for this game so your GPU may only be running with a single GPU. That may be the cause of the low performance.

A GTX 295 is GTX 275 SLI, not a 260.
Actually SLI is very well supported for triple A games. Ofc indie games don't have such thing.

SteveRB0
09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I happen to think this game is fantastically optimized. My computer has some rather dated hardware but I manage to run most modern games fine at medium-high settings. This game was no exception.

Unfortunately when optimizing a game, the developers can't account for 100% of all possible hardware/software configurations. To expect that is actually completely unreasonable. Because of this there is always going to be a small number of people that the game doesn't run well for.

Anyway I think that it is completely unfair to make a statement such as "horribly optimized" because you're system is having trouble running it. If you take a look around the forum you'll notice very few threads about performance issues.

I like to think that I've offered what I feel is constructive criticism of your post I'd like to say that you opened your issue sounding like an arrogant prick which is probably why you've gotten such hostile responses.

Try explaining your problem (without the arrogance) and politely asking for advice. And you'll need to do some testing yourself. Find out if it's a specific option being on that is causing the massive drop in framerate, check your cpu usage, etc.

fuinelen
09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Q6600 (not overclocked), 2GB Ram, nv8800 GTS 512, running the game at 1680x1050, Texture High, Shadow High, Shadow Res High, Trilinear Texture Filter, SSAO High (8 Samples), Ani 8x, Edge Smooth and World Reflection.

Game has been completely lag free ( >20 fps ... remember : that's not a shooter!) for me.

OP's problem is not related to Amnesia IMO.

That's on Linux btw.

Sait
09-15-2010, 07:24 PM

So yeah, thank you for proving my points again. It's not even a minor stuttering problem. It's not something I can magically fix. The game simply HARD LOCKS at 5 FPS with world reflection on and other settings on "High". When it locks, then its freakin common sense that it's a problem on software end. Stop being over-defensive for a game that's only touched by a few people, and majority of those aren't even playing on High settings. All posts on low-med settings are irrelevant!

You just implied you cannot afford that many games. Then suggesting me that I don't have a life? Haha. Looks like you need to get your priorities straight if you can't afford a piece of software. Don't have a nice job? Probably on welfare? My condolences, poor little man. :(

Update your drivers already, I got a midrange pc and run all those games fine at medium - high settings.

And I laughed out loud when you got burned, thank you young man.

johnconner5220
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
thomas_fric

I just wanted to report that I am running it maxxed out at 1920X1080 and it runs fine in my Ati Radeon HD 4870 512MB Got this card used off Amazon warehouse deal for $97 BTW. And total of $10 Shipping to the Caribbean Trinidad where I live.

So its definitely a simple problem this guy is having that is causing this.

Ow and might I say what an awesome game its been a long time since I played a game like this. Kinda reminds me of a game called nightmare creatures that I played on my PlayStation back in the 90's though obviously different it has a similar atmosphere.

Its nice to see people still has imagination in this world. Thank god its no far cry 2, I only played far cry 2 for 4 hours then deleted it.

Goes to show you don't need the biggest budget to make a game with the biggest heart.

Ronin6337
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM
nevermind. Tried posting a new thread and it somehow ended up in a thread.

syrupwontstopem
09-16-2010, 05:47 AM
LOL @ people rating this thread one star. There are at least ten people who have reported these issues by now. Stop being a blind follower, and realize that there are others who want to enjoy this game as much as you do.

If you don't want to help developers figure out the cause of this problem, then please get out.

What we know so far:

- SLI is not supported for dual-chip cards like GTX 295. That's half the power wasted. Perhaps send a request to Nvidia for driver update?
- Problem is definitely related to "World Reflection".
- From what I experienced, game didn't do any first time setup. That could be related to this problem.
- It also doesn't like 1080p or above resolutions. On 1680x1050, I gain almost 50% more FPS which is quite unusual. In other games, you only lose a tiny amount from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200. Well tested on my part. I play Crysis and Metro 2033 on 1920x1200, and FPS stays smooth at all times. Considering that this engine is outdated, I expect more.

You might be right, but you're a ♥♥♥♥

Rec0n412
09-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Try restarting your computer i heard that helped for someone.

Lol, the 1 solution that always seems to work :D

Dust-Off
09-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Oh wow, I tried turning the SSAO samples all the way to 128 (was running 16 before) and my frames dropped down into the 20s. To be honest I didn't even notice a huge difference between 16 and 128 either. What I want to know is for the people that are reporting great frame rates, what is your SSAO sampling set too?

Here are my PC specs btw:

ATI Radeon HD5770
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 Ghz
4 GB RAM

snowyy
09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
SPEC:
AMD SAPPHIRE 5970 2GB
INTEL i7 920 3.6GHZ
KINGSTON HYPERX 6GB 1600MHZ
OCZ SSD VERTEX 2

Running everything maxed, well SSAO samples isnt maxed, because thats overkill :p so its on 16, why is it at 128 anyway? i bet no pc will have a fps over 30 with 128 SSAO samples.

Anyway with everything maxed and 16 SSAO samples i get fps 60 fps(cant get any higher because game locked it to there) but i bet i cud get to 100 if it wasnt locked. :p