PDA

View Full Version : This game needs a demo

ImBack87
09-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Last time I played a F1 game was back in the 90's (good times) when I still had my PS1. This game sure looks impressive and Codemasters have been making pretty good PC ports so far but I would want to try the game out before I give them my hard earned cash as it's not clear whether the game is going to feel more like an arcade or simulation racer. The devs have said that it's going to be neither and that's exactly what I'm looking for and I just want to make sure the game feels right to me...
Dirt 2 was a little bit too arcadey for my taste

micky_miranda
09-03-2010, 11:29 PM
The devs have said that it's going to be neither
the devs have actually said it can be both depending upon the taste of the player and the settings chosen.

you should check out codemaster's forums there has been in depth discussion on this topic.
there isn't gonna be a demo.that's been confirmed as well.

wmar67
09-04-2010, 04:56 AM
To the OP - if you have actually played Codemasters games, then you'd realise that with EVERY PC port they released, they always touted it as the latest and greatest in simulations...and eventually what was released were arcade racers with the vehicle physics of a giraffe on ice!

There never EVER has been anything remotely "sim" about their sims.

I'm begging (hoping) for better this time round - but I've been led up the garden path with them so many times, I'm not holding my breath.

Given their track record, I'm more than a little concerned that the return of F1 games to the PC has been entrusted to them. I hope they don't balls it up!

leahcim
09-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Last time I played a F1 game was back in the 90's (good times) when I still had my PS1. This game sure looks impressive and Codemasters have been making pretty good PC ports so far but I would want to try the game out before I give them my hard earned cash as it's not clear whether the game is going to feel more like an arcade or simulation racer. The devs have said that it's going to be neither and that's exactly what I'm looking for and I just want to make sure the game feels right to me...
Dirt 2 was a little bit too arcadey for my taste

Well Ant Davidson seems to think the driving / handling in the game is great. He not only drives an F1 car at the circuits, he also drives Mercedes F1 simulator as test driver for Brawn GP and Mercedes.

You can find his comments on twitter under @antdavidson

He also said the other day that the wet weather handling and effects beat any sim or game he's ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63R1QGmcHo

Next week at Monza it's possible BBC will show Lewis Hamilton playing the game (though whether he'll get to say anything about the handling is unknown)

Either way, nice though a demo would be, the idea that a demo would let the average turnip who has never driven an F1 car in his life decide whether the handling is accurate or not (or "sim" which means nothing) is just laughable.

leahcim
09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
To the OP - if you have actually played Codemasters games, then you'd realise that with EVERY PC port they released, they always touted it as the latest and greatest in simulations...

I'm willing to read any site where CM claimed Grid was "the latest and greatest in simulations" that you can post.

Yes, grid's handling was crap, but I've never read anything where they pretended it wasn't (and there was a demo for that. So you can't really claim you bought Grid without knowing and now need a demo for this game)

I can't really think of any other grip based racing games they've released (without going back years). It's pretty clear Fuel wasn't going to be a sim.

Either way, it's worth noting that the (main) folk designing this game were not working at CM prior to this game and were hired for the task.

e.g, you'll note this game doesn't have the awful yellow colour cast that Grid had, it doesn't have the silly shopping trolley front wheels that F1 2009 had - the guy that's designing it seems on the ball regarding this stuff and has for months now, answered literally hundreds and hundreds of questions on twitter and CMs forums about the game (and as I said above, they didn't get some sim driving turnip to decide whether the handling was good, they hired an F1 driver)

IMO, (and I hated Grid with a passion and was very cynical too) this game will live up to expectations.

Dark_090
09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Yeah I agree, they said GRID was going to be a mix of simulation - arcade but that you could make it a sim by basically turning the assists off and such. That was a big lie.

Even though I love GRID anyway I'd rather play a demo of F1 first, if it handles anything like the F3 cars in GRID then I don't think I'll be getting it.

Ch!cane
09-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I predict they only copied the looks of Grid. I gambled on it at least since I preordered F1 2010 but didn't like Grid handling. So far I haven't read reviews that complained about weird handling.

ATF_MegaMan
09-10-2010, 08:26 AM
confirmed no demo will be released for f1 2010

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/401373-no-demo-f1-2010-confirmed.html

I'm really not sure I am going to get it until i can try it out, maybe