PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer issues

DarthenRahl
09-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Is anyone else having alot of mp issues.
First of all, i tried joining a friend of mine through TCP/IP, that didnt work, then he tried joining me and that didnt work.

Then we tried to get a game set up through gamespy, however, it wouldnt let me create a game. When i click create game it pauses for about 20 seconds, then the lobby is refreshed like nothing happened. My 3 other friends who bought it yesterday as i did are having the same problems.

I only managed to get into one game with randomers, but i couldnt connect to 2 of the players so i quit. It doesnt help that everyone is on 1.35 and steam users are on 1.36 either, but theres already a thread discussing this so ill not go into it.

My internet connections fairly decent (7meg connection) so i doubt thats not a problem considering the game is ancient now.

I asked for help in the lobby and one user mentioned opening ports. I did this with instructions from portforward.com and the problem still persists.

Can we expect a patch for this or is there a workaround anyone knows about apart from opening ports

ManOwaR
09-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Looks like a NAT/Firewall issue. What kind of connection do you have? What is your local IP address?

DarthenRahl
09-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Connection is 850kb/s, Local ip is 192.168.1.1.

I realised i was in the wrong section when i was trying to open my ports, my port section is under "virtual servers".
I followed this tutorial :
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Aolynk/DR814Qv2/Cossacks.htm

But when i try to set ports 2300-2400 to open i get an error saying port 2300-8000 is reserved for system usage as seen in this picture at the bottom

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Aolynk/DR814Qv2/DR814Qv23.jpg

Im still not sure if opening ports will even fix the issue, im just going by what a player said in the lobby. One of my friends is just after doing this and he still has the same problem

ManOwaR
09-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Local ip is 192.168.1.1.This is a key. Your IP is from local range. The game uses peer-to-peer (not client-server) communication model. So in order to work properly, every player should have a real (routable) Internet address. It is possible to play with a private address, if all other players (the one who host the game is compulsory) have a real address, but this behavior greatly depends on the firewall hardware/software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4#Private_networks

Kaligus
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm having same problem here, cant create a game in GameSpy and my friend cannot connect to me using Direct IP.

I'm using normal internet, my friends uses a router like a LAN, but he is trying with the right IP.

And this IP thing does not have to do with the GameSpy, once that is served by GameSpy itself.

Anyone had this too???
I bought the game just to play with my friends... :(

gossamer
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm having same problem here, cant create a game in GameSpy and my friend cannot connect to me using Direct IP.

I'm using normal internet, my friends uses a router like a LAN, but he is trying with the right IP.

And this IP thing does not have to do with the GameSpy, once that is served by GameSpy itself.

Anyone had this too???
I bought the game just to play with my friends... :(

Follow guides here to port forward: http://portforward.com/

Find your external IP here: http://www.ipchicken.com

Kaligus
09-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the links, but I know how to find my real IP as I said before, about port forward, this could really help with Direct IP?

In any case, this does not solve the GameSpy problems.
I checked, also, the GamePsy foruns about this and some people had this before too, so maybe its not like a game problem (or Steam).

Anyone else had this?

hayesj89
09-08-2010, 04:12 AM
only problems i had b4 when trying to get a game online was every now and then i couldnt get games took ages. it is always router that is problem for most online games.

are all ur friends on routers? you wont be able to join each other if all ports are open and all firewalls are allowing this ports to send and receive data. the router has firewall and so does your pc obviously so you will need to open both to be able play smoothly.

as for gamespy this can happen if firewall is rejecting it as gamespy sends data and then get rejected so it doesn't do nuffin apart from refresh.

Kaligus
09-08-2010, 05:21 AM
I play a lot of games, my firewall is ok in Win 7 and I use Steam very much. Only this game gave me this kind of problem.

I will see about open ports, this could let me with a high security risk.

Thanks

hayesj89
09-08-2010, 05:30 AM
tbh it shouldnt give u any sercurity risks... if you that worried try go cabled rather then wireless or open them up when playing then block them when u r not.

JFrosty
09-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Opening ports and stuff is getting highly annoying now that pretty much everyone is on a network.

Isn't there some way to fix that? Never had problems with more recent games.

miteq
09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
EDIT:

Got the multiplayer working. See first post on second page.

hayesj89
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
well it does work because i have played it fine. try taking wireless off and going wired if poss to see if it works that way.

ManOwaR
09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
The multiplayer portion of this game simply does not work.Well, here is a screenshot of a current Cossacks Internet Shell
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7786/screen0i.jpg

As you can see, there are 30 games and 49 players, so the multiplayer actually does work.
I have 6 computers before me, with different hardware and operating systems (XP Home, XP Professional, Vista Home Premium, 7 Starter, 7 Home Basic 32bit, 7 Home Premium 64bit) and Cossacks works fine on every system without any special preparations.

Cossacks is very old game, almost 10 years, obviously it uses a deprecated network protocols, like DirectPlay and GameSpy, which require a range of ports to be opened. Cossacks recognizes standard Windows Firewall and automatically registers itself there. If you use 3rd party firewall software, you should open ports manually.
Ports required for Microsoft DirectPlay are listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240429
For GameSpy:
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml
Also Cossacks use a range of 34000-34005 TCP and UDP

Because of a peer-to-peer nature, the game does require a valid routable Internet Address (IP). If you have local IP, like 192.168.xx.xx , 10.xx.xx.xx or 172.16.xx.xx you will be unable to host the game, but in a rare cases you can join the game.

JFrosty
09-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm wired and had to open ports and play around in my router's options for quite some time before getting it to work. Now I'm trying to help my friend, but he's unable to make it work. He's wireless, but having to go wired just to play Cossacks would be ridiculous.

I'm just disappointed they're re-releasing a game on Steam without making adjustments so that it works properly in 2010, like any other game out there. We loved playing the game back then, and I'd surely love to play it again, without having to reconfigure my (or his) whole network all over again. And that's just the two of us. Thank God we didn't ask more friends yet, it would be hell to try and play.

miteq
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Alright, I managed to get it working after some serious raging. All those ports in the link ManOwaR posted need to be opened. I'm editing my previous negative comment.

Still, doing these things just for playing a multiplayer match is a pain in the ♥♥♥.

Also, this topic should be stickied.

Kaligus
09-09-2010, 03:53 AM
I got it working yesterday too, at night, but only in GameSpy service, my friend could not connect to me only using Direct IP.

What I did: I disabled my whole router and WiFi connections, I let only my DSL web service connected direct in my PC. I tried this out and it worked. But I agree its really a pain in the *** (lol) to make this game running, and even with this, my friend cannot connect to me using Direct IP (he uses router, etc). This is a little frustating.

I'm not going to let all my ports open only because of this.

JFrosty
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
We opened all the ports. We tried everthing, but we still can't see each other's game on GameSpy, nor can we play in Direct TCP/IP.

This is getting ridiculous.

Gigadarky
09-14-2010, 07:15 PM
when i try to go online , by logging in on gamespy and the other one it just freezes for a while and then takes me back to main menu. I downloaded gamespy and tried to play cossacks from it but it dosnt show the game on my game list . Any help is appreciated, thank you.

ps. I have windows vista

Cossacking
01-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Well, here is a screenshot of a current Cossacks Internet Shell
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7786/screen0i.jpg

As you can see, there are 30 games and 49 players, so the multiplayer actually does work.
I have 6 computers before me, with different hardware and operating systems (XP Home, XP Professional, Vista Home Premium, 7 Starter, 7 Home Basic 32bit, 7 Home Premium 64bit) and Cossacks works fine on every system without any special preparations.

Cossacks is very old game, almost 10 years, obviously it uses a deprecated network protocols, like DirectPlay and GameSpy, which require a range of ports to be opened. Cossacks recognizes standard Windows Firewall and automatically registers itself there. If you use 3rd party firewall software, you should open ports manually.
Ports required for Microsoft DirectPlay are listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240429
For GameSpy:
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml
Also Cossacks use a range of 34000-34005 TCP and UDP

Because of a peer-to-peer nature, the game does require a valid routable Internet Address (IP). If you have local IP, like 192.168.xx.xx , 10.xx.xx.xx or 172.16.xx.xx you will be unable to host the game, but in a rare cases you can join the game.

Retail version of BtW allows me to host games (LAN, Direct, GameSpy).
Steam's version fails at GameSpy, LAN/Direct game is not shown (just an empty list) for those who try to connect.

The only firewall I am using is Windows (7) firewall. Thanks to csbtw.exe I do not even get the window asking whether to unblock the application (after which retail version allowed hosting games). Firewall shows both Cossacks: Back To War and DirectPlaySvr as enabled/allowed. Turning firewall off (both Private and Public) doesn't change a thing.

Plus, if you are wondering why I bought the game on Steam...
Retail version:
Must have CD.
Is in Russian.
Steam version:
A newer version.
No CD.
Is in English.

Cossacking
01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Sorry for double posting, but the apparent solution to my problem was to
1. Remove related rules in Windows Firewall
2. Rename/remove FirewallInstallHelper.dll
3. Launch the game
4. Try to create a multiplayer game
5. Alt tab, unblock (allow) the application
6. Alt tab, wait until the failure message is shown
7. Click 'Create game' and successfully host a game.

Also, it is enough to open these ports:
47624 (TCP) - DirectPlay init
2300-2400 (TCP and UDP) - DirectPlay game server

Papagon2
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
One thing I and a friend found out.. We wanted to play private game on Empire Total war.. But it diddnt work. And the reson was..

I had my downloadregon: Nederland and my friend Norway.
So I changed to Norway (steam - files upper left corner - propperties - downloads + cloud "and there it stands Downloadregion")and when we than made a private game I was able to join him. And I allsow seen different things in some multiplayer options.

So I reconmend that your Downloadregion is the same as the person you want to join. or ells you wont probbely be able to join him.

This probbely be reson for most of people, not to be able to join.
I havent tested it on Cossacks back to war yet.

Cossacking
02-13-2011, 01:40 PM
One thing I and a friend found out.. We wanted to play private game on Empire Total war.. But it diddnt work. And the reson was..

I had my downloadregon: Nederland and my friend Norway.
So I changed to Norway (steam - files upper left corner - propperties - downloads + cloud "and there it stands Downloadregion")and when we than made a private game I was able to join him. And I allsow seen different things in some multiplayer options.

So I reconmend that your Downloadregion is the same as the person you want to join. or ells you wont probbely be able to join him.

This probbely be reson for most of people, not to be able to join.
I havent tested it on Cossacks back to war yet.

This is completely irrelevant. And you provide this as a solution? Cossacks [game] uses DirectPlay based Multiplayer.
It is true, that Steam version is different from retail, but it does not depend on steam for anything else than DRM.

Papagon2
02-13-2011, 03:26 PM
This is completely irrelevant. And you provide this as a solution? Cossacks [game] uses DirectPlay based Multiplayer.
It is true, that Steam version is different from retail, but it does not depend on steam for anything else than DRM.

i'm just saying that. me and my friend tryed evrything to get ETW to work local/private = we used hamatchi, tunngle beta and still diddnt get it too work. but when i changed my downloadreligion it simply workt on steam with no problems.

+ I tryed all the local stuff with cossacks too, useing hamatchi and all that stuff, but that still didnt work. So I think if I try now when we got the same downloadregion it may work. I will
test this werry sun when I can.

Still me and him allsow had the problem on otther games too. So I will say the downloadregion is important. Ells it may be the port, you told me on my topic. But I dont belive that becouse me and him tryed with normal LAN cabel from my pc to his. and the game still diddnt work, I opened all ports, closed firewall for both pc's and still no go. (I sea his server but couldnt join)

but I will not argue on this matter becouse I do not know if its becouse download regon. i'm just saying that someone should try it with same downloadregion.

Cossacking
02-13-2011, 10:56 PM
i'm just saying that. me and my friend tryed evrything to get ETW to work local/private = we used hamatchi, tunngle beta and still diddnt get it too work. but when i changed my downloadreligion it simply workt on steam with no problems.

+ I tryed all the local stuff with cossacks too, useing hamatchi and all that stuff, but that still didnt work. So I think if I try now when we got the same downloadregion it may work. I will
test this werry sun when I can.

Still me and him allsow had the problem on otther games too. So I will say the downloadregion is important. Ells it may be the port, you told me on my topic. But I dont belive that becouse me and him tryed with normal LAN cabel from my pc to his. and the game still diddnt work, I opened all ports, closed firewall for both pc's and still no go. (I sea his server but couldnt join)

but I will not argue on this matter becouse I do not know if its becouse download regon. i'm just saying that someone should try it with same downloadregion.

Have you read this topic? Have you removed the rules from windows firewall (even if you do not use it and it is turned off) and removed the firewallinstallhelper.dll? With retail version getting TCP/IP / LAN / GameSpy to work is straightforward, with Steam version, you have to do much more than that (see my post (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20122062&postcount=21) for all the steps).

Papagon2
02-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Have you read this topic? Have you removed the rules from windows firewall (even if you do not use it and it is turned off) and removed the firewallinstallhelper.dll? With retail version getting TCP/IP / LAN / GameSpy to work is straightforward, with Steam version, you have to do much more than that (see my post (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20122062&postcount=21) for all the steps).

I say again I wont argue. I'm just saying that my reson may be an "error" to.

Berax0r
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Anyone has any other solutions? I tried everything, but still no progress. :(

DirectPlay doesn't work, GameSpy freezes when loading server list. Ports are open.