PDA

View Full Version : Companion Cube Pieces?

rvdm88
09-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Anyone got a idea what they are and how to obtain them?

Oneironaut
09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I've played through the portal level twice and haven't gotten one yet. Whatever it is I'm guessing it'll be specific to that level.

dinosaurpyjamas
09-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I've played through the portal level twice and haven't gotten one yet. Whatever it is I'm guessing it'll be specific to that level.

You're on the right track! Would you like a clue?

Think about where you receive the Companion Cube in Portal

madmarten
09-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Select Time Mode, select the Portal level, get your multiplier to x17. The next piece will be a companion cube.

Jalan
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Getting it that high on the first level will prove more frustrating than its worth. It'd be nice if there was a tweak to how long the pieces have until they die off, since it seems far too short to continually chain it like that given the speed of the beat line.

aliriza
09-07-2010, 09:23 AM
is it only work at time mode?

Jalan
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I believe so, since the multiplier isn't present in free mode.

bman654
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey I got it on my first attempt on this song. I was playing through @3mins and just as I placed the cube I lost my multiplier due to my excitement. woot!

fyi if you are having trouble, play it @9mins to give you maximum chance to get the cube. One tip I have is that if you are going for the cube, don't worry about coverage. Just keep your pieces alive. Don't wait for them to start blinking. The pieces get whiter as they get older. Whenever you see pieces getting white, start dropping blocks around them to try to save them. If you do this and ignore trying to get 50% coverage, then you'll find yourself with a cube in short order.

Klendathu
09-08-2010, 04:02 AM
Talk about grinding, but 100 cubes is definitely a bit outlandish.

Jalan
09-08-2010, 06:02 AM
fyi if you are having trouble, play it @9mins to give you maximum chance to get the cube.

Even at the 9 minute tier it can be a frustrating ordeal. A simpler way to accomplish it would be to work at the far right of the board in small increments, resisting the urge to stretch a quad to unnecessary proportion. Then try to hope you get the right pieces to match the remainders to build another small quad. Then lather, rinse, repeat until it hits 17x.

McChadworth
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Even at the 9 minute tier it can be a frustrating ordeal. A simpler way to accomplish it would be to work at the far right of the board in small increments, resisting the urge to stretch a quad to unnecessary proportion. Then try to hope you get the right pieces to match the remainders to build another small quad. Then lather, rinse, repeat until it hits 17x.
Exactly, never make your quads bigger then they have to be. This will let you work more quickly, and you will have less stray blocks left when your quads disappear.