PDA

View Full Version : Stay Out Of The Water - This part right here..

avidwriter
09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Makes me hate this game. I don't like it when games say "you have no weapons you have to hide" then do crap like this. Oh I have to stay out of the water that is everywhere and I barely jump 2 feet when boxes are sometimes triple that distance apart.

Very nice. I'll be passing on this game.

CrazyCanuck90
09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Makes me hate this game. I don't like it when games say "you have no weapons you have to hide" then do crap like this. Oh I have to stay out of the water that is everywhere and I barely jump 2 feet when boxes are sometimes triple that distance apart.

What? You can run through the water for small amounts of time, you just can't stay in it...

Nauticus
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM

I usually find this reply to be snarky, but....

QQ

greenpotal
09-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Find your run button. Most of the boxes can be leapt between if you hold run. Run through the water too if you fall in.

QuickCam7
09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
So you want another un-scary game that arms you to the teeth and takes away all the suspense? Also, learn to use your brain before bi-tching. You can throw body parts at the monster to distract it and you can sprint + jump for long distance jumping. Now was that so damn hard?

N3oN667
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Man... If you lack the intellect to not know how to sprint in the water for a little bit then how did you even GET to that part of the demo?
Must have taken you hours to figure out how to open the hatch D:

Drakes8211
09-06-2010, 03:18 PM
I dont think you understand the concept. You can go in the water but theres a monster, the monster attacks anything in the water so you may have to use your brain to figure out how to do things.

Im impressed you got past the first couple of puzzles ;)

JinseiZetsumei
09-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Find your run button. Most of the boxes can be leapt between if you hold run. Run through the water too if you fall in.

O.O -.- O.O -.- O.O -blinking- There is a run button? I did that whole demo without knowing that.

avidwriter
09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
O.O -.- O.O -.- O.O -blinking- There is a run button? I did that whole demo without knowing that.

Exactly. I didn't know there was a run button either.

I did understand the concept of staying out of the water or the monster will kill you. That wasn't my problem. My probably was it was very hard to stay out of the water. Knowing I missed the run button probably would have fixed that.

No I don't want an un-scary games that arms me to the teeth. I didn't say that. I simply said for a game that gives you no weapons and wants you to hide from your enemies to put one right in your face like that seems odd.

Spattercat
09-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Heh I did it without a run button... I was throwing books from the shelves to distract the thing, then getting to the next box. I missed my leaps a couple times, took some damage, but the laudanum helped and I made it eventually )

Oh, and Avid, way to not get all defensive about the replies ) Seriously, you seem like an above- board sort.

Dark_090
09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
The water part was the best and most scary part of the demo. But I suggest you go play Halo Reach once it's released it's got sprint and 10 meter jumps whit lots of guns, it seems like it's going to be right up your alley.

MrSchpagge
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow, people are refusing to buy games because they're a little harder than they'd like them to be?

This is why I think in ten years the only genre will be FPS.

JinseiZetsumei
09-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Some of you guys are not really paying to much attention to his complaint, and should not be telling him to go play halo reach and stuff like that, just makes you sound like a jerk. He just didn't like the set up, and as with me, he had no idea their was a run button that would allow you to gain some jump. I got killed doing that area at least 5 times before the game was nice and spawned the monster really really far from me.

People are allowed to dislike this game, there is no reason for there not to be a few out there who don't like it.

Iconoclast XVII
09-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Umm... there was only one part I can think of where I couldn't jump between boxes, and that was between rooms.

Jeston
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM

Ahha, This guy cant complete the water part, Im glad you dont want it. We may have too hear you ♥♥♥♥♥ some more woman.

juggalopimp11
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
That's why there is a demo OP, this clearly isn't a game for you. Being completely vulnerable in the face of danger is the whole appeal and point of this game.

Seriously, standing in the water in complete darkness completely unarmed and vulnerable, listening to the sounds of the creature devouring rotting human body parts, frantically trying to turn the wheel to open the gate before it finishes it's meal and turns it's attention onto me.
That was some heart pumping gameplay right there.

Do take the games advice and play in the dark with a headset with the volume cranked, it really helps immerse you into the game.

I absolutely loved the demo, and have already preordered on steam. It is a damn shame more developers don't seem to be able to get this kind of atmosphere into their games.

Typheus
09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok, so now we all learned a valuable lesson. In a situation like Amnesia: Dark Descent, you should always, aside from saving one bullet for yourself, GET OUT OF THE ♥♥♥♥ING WATER!

juggalopimp11
09-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Ok, so now we all learned a valuable lesson. In a situation like Amnesia: Dark Descent, you should always, aside from saving one bullet for yourself, GET OUT OF THE ♥♥♥♥ING WATER!

You would have thought people learnt that back when Jaws was released!

thebigJ_A
09-06-2010, 09:29 PM
You know you can move the boxes, too, right?

Also, throw a book or something in the water far away from you. The monster chases it, and you have a good 10/15 seconds to run through the water. Later, throw the body parts, and it takes its time eating them.

Unlike other people, I won't say "go play Halo". That is a terrible thing to say (also, I'm a huge fan of this game and the Penumbra series, and I can't wait for Halo:Reach, so what?). Shooing people away who are new to this sort of game does people who want these games, and the developers, no favors. This game is different than most games out there, it takes some getting used to. We need people who aren't used to it to give it a chance, and, if they get stuck or frustrated, help them out. That way more people will buy this, and more games like it (i.e. original ideas that think outside the box, not necessarily horror games) will get made.
Expanding peoples' horizons is good for the gaming industry, and for us, the gamers.

To the OP: Give the game another shot, maybe buy it when there's a Steam sale and it's like 5 or 10 bucks. But you have to go into it with an open mind, and in the right frame of mind. This game isn't about winning, or beating it, it's about submerging yourself in the atmosphere. Play in the dark, when you are in the mood to be scared. Turn the sound up.

And, if after all that you still aren't into it, that's no problem. People have different tastes. I still give you credit for trying something outside your comfort zone. Not alot of people do that.

Zoidberg
09-07-2010, 12:44 AM
OP, this game is not for you, just go back to your mindless FPS! :P

Esthin
09-07-2010, 12:58 AM
I have a phobia of water.

This game made me sh*t bricks.

I have no weapons to give me comfort, just like in Penumbra.

I still love this game.

Seriously, You're missing out on buying a BRILLIANT game, JUST because you don't like ONE section?

Well I am sorry, but I'll come back with a nice Shotgun for you.

Will that make it fun?

The reason why Penumbra was so good and scary, and why Amnesia is so scary, is because you have no way to defend yourself.

Other games like FEAR - Hardly scared me.
Because I have guns. Lots of guns.

Resident Evil?
Guns.

Dead space?
Guns.

Penumbra/Amnesia?
Nothing.

The game becomes so much more tense and immersing with no weapons, and that's why I know I will love this game.
It helps make me feel like I'm in the game - Because in reality, You don't find guns and knives placed around conveniently to save you.

The demo, the 25 minute demo, scared me more than any movie I have seen, and other game I have played, and that's the demo.
It left me with my heart beating so fast, and physically shaking.
The headset made it so much more intense, I can't see it, other than splashes, but I can hear it coming.
Hear him right behind me. Slowly catching up.

Sorry to hear you'll be missing out on this amazing game.

thebigJ_A
09-07-2010, 04:23 AM

Read my comment, above yours.

You are doing yourself, and me, no favors with comments like that. For the sake of games like this one, please refrain from commenting if all you have to say are things which will drive people away from playing this amazing game.

Xyphious
09-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Well said thebigJ_A (have some rep), ignore all the <12's posting on your thread OP.

Give the game a chance again and try one more play through, go for the full lights off headphones job and your bound to enjoy it a little more.

If not try giving the Penumbra series a play through and come back to Amnesia when you're done

iSpaceman
09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
The reason why Penumbra was so good and scary, and why Amnesia is so scary, is because you have no way to defend yourself.

Frictional actually said something along the lines of this. The basics of what they said were, the moment you put a gun into a horror game, it is instantly abused.

nizzie
09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
ITT: How to make a fool of yourself.

x_rast_x
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
It's not an either/or thing.

Horror games do absolutely nothing for me emotionally, so ordinarily I would pass on a game this. But I played the demo and I really liked how you're just an ordinary guy and have to survive by your wits alone. So you evade enemies instead of killing them and progress by solving puzzles.

Like, in the video that's on Steam it shows Daniel running through a door to get away from a monster, closing it, blocking the door with a desk, then hiding while the monster forces the door open and runs by. Or in the demo, you stay out of the water when you can and distract the incorporeal enemy when you can't. It's a really neat mechanic I haven't seen in a long time - Realms of the Haunting was kind of similar at first but eventually you got powerful enough weapons that you could run and gun through everything.

Nagga
09-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I simply said for a game that gives you no weapons and wants you to hide from your enemies to put one right in your face like that seems odd.

Maybe that's to, you know, create tension?

k3Ck
09-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

:(

PeeWee1477
09-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Some of you guys are not really paying to much attention to his complaint, and should not be telling him to go play halo reach and stuff like that, just makes you sound like a jerk. He just didn't like the set up, and as with me, he had no idea their was a run button that would allow you to gain some jump. I got killed doing that area at least 5 times before the game was nice and spawned the monster really really far from me.

People are allowed to dislike this game, there is no reason for there not to be a few out there who don't like it.

Yes, people are allowed to dislike the game. However, not liking it because of one's own lack of knowledge and unwillingness to go into the key config right on the main menu and look at the available key bindings and then complaining because they couldn't find the run button....is a completely stupid reason to dislike the game. I guess the designers and devs assumed a little bit of intelligence on the part of the user. How silly of them.

Drakes8211
09-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Dont be a jerk.

And off topic not all FPS are mindless...its just a different type of game. I mean Im more pumped for Halo Reach then I am for this game...