PDA

View Full Version : Issues & Bugs

dinosaurpyjamas
09-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

Hope you're all enjoying Chime! We realise there are still a few kinks to iron out, and we want to get working on them as soon as possible.

If you do run into a bug or have issues playing the game, please post them in this thread or alternatively contact

customersupport@zoemode.com

The more details you include in your emails, the faster we can track down and eliminate all those nasty bugs.

UPDATE

If you are experiencing problems with the game crashing on start up, please make sure that you have Windows Media Player 11 or higher installed on your PC. It may also be worth reinstalling Windows Media Player even if you have 11 or above.

UPDATE 2

For those experiencing problems getting the game to start or running into errors concerning video compression, try disabling video playback. This can be done via a launch option.

To disable video playback:

Right-click on Chime in the Steam games library, and select properties (http://imgur.com/MJQQ3.png)

Click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... (http://imgur.com/h67fL.png)

Enter –novideo and click OK (http://imgur.com/wu6K2.png)

Launch Chime as usual
UPDATE 3

You can also try to install XNX FX31 manually.

Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\chime\XNA FX Redist". Copy the file "xnafx31_redist.msi" to your desktop, or the root of your drive, and install it from there.

Network_Punk
09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Moved from separate thread to here:

Pausing during a song on either timed or free mode will crash the game. This is not instantaneous, and the first time it happened steam updated the game before it relaunched. I am just going to test if it happens a third time and if there's any more meaningful information I can provide.

Neon Kitten
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Posted in a separate thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426226

but since this is the official one ;) the installscript.vdf file seems to be incorrectly formatted and breaking the game's installation as a result. It still runs fine, but "installs" from the archive every time it is run, causing Windows 7 to ask for Administrator permission every single time.

Just a guess about this file being the culprit, but it certainly looks like it is based on the game's launch behaviour.

dinosaurpyjamas
09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
We will look into these issues tomorrow morning, thanks guys.

Neon Kitten
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Just realised while replying to another thread, by the way, that I forgot to mention that the file the script is calling is wmfdist11.exe in the Chime app directory (it's the Windows Media Format installer, a self-extracting CAB file, hence the wording in the Steam dialogue box).

And also, more importantly, realised that I've been copy-pasting the wrong script name into my posts :-D The script Steam is calling is "runasadmin.vdf". This is the file that has unusual formatting with no line breaks, not the installscript.vdf that lives in the Chime directory.

I blame a ridiculous lack of sleep ;)

number3son
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
For me, there are a lot of flickering graphics in the game that make it difficult to play. It starts at the first logo screen and occurs in the menu and game screens as well (windowed mode works fine in the logo and menu screens, but the flickering starts up as soon as I begin gameplay). During actual gameplay, the flickering element is the background, while the game board, cursor, and time bar look fine. Also happens regardless if I use High or Low detail settings. I am running WinXP 32-bit with a Geforce 460 card.

I don't know if it's part of the problem, but the game also performs its "self-extracting cabinet" setup every time the game starts, instead of only at the initial load. I know other posters have said they're having that problem in Win 7, but it's also occurring with me and XP 32-bit.

Jalan
09-07-2010, 03:24 AM
I may be alone in this but the difficulty seems skewed/unbalanced for this type of game.

I noticed you mentioned tweaking it because it was "too easy" but am now wondering if maybe there was an oversight that crippled the game from a casual enjoyment stance. Whether it's an additional minute to the minute tiers, a slowing of how fast the beat line moves in the beginning level or a small extension on how long pieces have before they die off and break the multiplier, it just seems like it needs that additional balancing to not potentially leave anyone who plays at a pace that isn't considered extreme to at least feel as if they can get somewhere without having to retry or restart a given song upwards of 10+ times or more.

Honestly, for me, I could forgive the small technical issues but after my 26th go at Still Alive and neither getting 100% coverage or a multiplier higher than 9 (at best) I just quit the game entirely out of frustration. (50% to unlock the remaining songs was reasonable, mind you)

I realize the free mode option is there to alleviate this but that's taking any type of challenge out of it and placing a player into repetition, so logically even the non-diehard gamers out there would want to dip their feet into the timed mode once in a while.

WolfGangSenizen
09-07-2010, 07:22 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426705

this

(basically the game doesn't launch)

derExperte
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
For me, there are a lot of flickering graphics in the game that make it difficult to play.

The flickering isn't that frequent here, but it's happening sometimes during play.

natieb
09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi, I tried to send an email to that address but it bounced back. I'll just paste it here.

I purchased Chime through Steam after reading nothing but good things about it, but so far have not been able to get it to start. I checked a couple of forums, but did not see anything resembling my issue. I am using Windows XP x64 edition, AMD Phenom 9950, 8GB DDR2, ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB, all drivers and Windows updates are up to date as far as I know. If you need any more detailed specs I can provide them. The game appears to have installed normally, but when I go to open it, it says it's installing the Self-Extracting Cabinet, then pops up the following error and quits upon hitting OK:

System.Exception: Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable
decompressor could be found.
at Chime.Video.VideoPlayer.. ctor (String FileName, Boolean loop,
GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice)
at Cascade.Game1.LoadContent()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
at Cascade.Game1.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at Cascade.Program.Main(String[] args)

I am wondering if I am missing any dependecies (Windows Media Player? Internet Explorer?) or if the game is incompatible with my video card or OS. I would appreciate any input you might be able to provide. I love a good puzzle game and am looking forward to getting this one working.

Thanks for your time,
Nathan

JJTAG290
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I have the same problem that natieb:

I have Windows XP Sp3 professional 32 bit... i guess it's a net.framework problem, i uninstalled the game and .net framework 3.5 and installed everything again but the game still doesn't work...
Thanks for the attention and sorry for the english...
TAG

aastii
09-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I get an error every time I start. I don't think it is coincidence that it happens during the Instealling .NET. I'm not typing it all out, so took a screenshot here:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/aastii/chimeerror.jpg

AMD Phenom II 720BE, 4th core unlocked @ stock (tried at full stock, same thing happened)
4GB DDR3
XFX HD5770
Vista x64

=EDIT=

took the advice at the bottom to change (as it turns out, to add the registry entry in the first place) the registry entry, and now get the same window, however also get this:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/aastii/chimeerror2.jpg

bomberman760
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Same for me:

Win XP 64-Bit SP1
AMD Phenom x4 Black Edition
Dual Nvidia 9800 GTX+, SLI

All drivers up to date.

chopstix
09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
A little problem with Free Mode:

I played through all the songs in Timed Mode, from Philip Glass to the new Portal song. In turn, this unlocked all the songs in Free Mode, except for the Portal song. No matter how many times I play it in Timed Mode, it will not unlock in Free Mode.

The rest work great though, and I am thoroughly enjoying the game!

zeruel83
09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I have the same problem that natieb:

I have Windows XP Sp3 professional 32 bit... i guess it's a net.framework problem, i uninstalled the game and .net framework 3.5 and installed everything again but the game still doesn't work...
Thanks for the attention and sorry for the english...
TAG

Getting this same Error. Windows XP 64bit, updated etc etc. I even tried Verifying integrity of files via steam, no difference that I am able to tell.

xxj
09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
found a pretty pag bug, well not sure if it's a bug, but I did something, twice and it did the same thing and made the game unplayable.

[how to replicate this game breaking bug]
if you go to window mode, it seems if you alt-tab out the game doesnt seem to play so, manually exiting via start bar by right clicking and pressing close will sort of close the game but you'll still hear sound, or at least I did. Seems the only way to fully exit the game is through task manager, so killing the process then restarting the game resulted for me, in this screen (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3487499/error.png)

I was able to fix it once, but I stupidly did it again and now I can't seem to fix it and I have a purchased game unable to play =\

edit:
warning if you want to try to replicate this and do it successfully, your game might break and atm Im not sure how to fix this, ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling and repairing all the dependencies from the steamapps/chime folder and it doesn't seem to do anything =\
hoping to get an answer from the dev or maybe someone can fix this because I really want to play this game

bman654
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
One time when I started the game I could not see my pieces. I could see the "next piece" but the current piece was not visible, and none of the pieces I placed were visible. I had to exit all the way out of the game and restart to "fix" it.

bu5hhead
09-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Unable to run the game it just crashes after I try to run, Im currently running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Event viewer showing that the WM11 Redist package doesnt install neither does the XNA 3.1 redist

Error for the game crash:

Faulting application name: Chime.exe, version: 1.1.1.2, time stamp: 0x4c851528
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16384, time stamp: 0x4a5846df
Exception code: 0xe0434f4d
Fault offset: 0x0000b727
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

The WM11Redist Package Error:

The description for Event ID 4373 from source WindowsMedia cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Windows
Not enough storage is available to process this command.

This cant be true as I have more than enough free space on my computer.

Lastly the XNA Redist Error:

Product: Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1 -- Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework,fileVersion="3.1.10527.0",version="3.1.0.00000",culture="neutral",publicKeyToken="6D5C3888EF60E27D",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F. assembly interface: , function: CreateAssemblyNameObject, component: {BE4E2571-28F8-4423-AAE7-A61F69CF6099}

Each time I try to run the game now it will try and install the Xna redist package fails (as well as another item probably the WM11 redist) and then error reporter says the game has crashed.

aastii
09-08-2010, 02:55 AM
I fixed my problem by restarting my computer. Go figure, maybe some sort of "you need to restart your computer" would have been helpful :rolleyes:

Jalan
09-08-2010, 05:58 AM
If it was fixed by restarting your machine then you can't really lay the blame on Chime and should instead focus it toward the OS.

xxj
09-08-2010, 07:49 AM
seems restarting fixed my problem :3

ty to all \o/

natieb
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey! After some messing around with stuff, I managed to fix the "System.Exception: Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found." issue. :D

I was poking around in the \Steam\steamapps\common\chime folder, and checked the wmfdist11 folder. Inside is a file wmfdist11.exe, which gives an error that the program is for different hardware platform. It turns out you need to install the Windows Media Format 11 SDK, which can be found at microsoft.com:

Windows Media developer page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb190307.aspx

Direct link to download WFM11SDK:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c/3/ac367925-39e7-4451-a175-a224f94fbdce/wmformat11sdk.exe

JJTAG290
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I tried natieb's solution but the game still doesn't work... it keeps showing the message:

System.Exception: The operation can not be performed because the pin aren't connected.
in Chime.Video.VideoPlayer..ctor(String FileName, Boolean loop, GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice)
in Cascade.Game1.LoadContent()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
in Cascade.Game1.Initialize()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
in Cascade.Program.Main(String[] args)

When i try to run the Chime.exe in the \Steam\steamapps\common\chime, it says 'Not connected to Steam'.... i really don't know what to do... somebody help please...
I'm using windows xp sp3 professional...

dinkerz
09-08-2010, 07:02 PM
i have restarted but still am unable to get the game to load anything. as stated before, Chime.exe is running but that's about it. really crappy, i hope a fix comes out...really wanna see what this game is about.

windows XP, SP3, AMX athlon 64 X2 Dual core 6400+, ATI HD4650

Nexy
09-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Every time I start up Chime, I get this screen:

http://i.imgur.com/ompdp.png

The game runs fine, it just it keeps installing that or so it says.

JophesMannhoh
09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
This was the error I got... Game won't even launch.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Cascade.Game1.UpdateDisplayMode(Boolean firstTimeStartup)
at Cascade.Game1.Game1_Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.OnActivated(Object sender, EventArgs args)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostActivated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnActivated()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.GameWindow Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow.OnActivated()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameWindow.mainForm _ApplicationActivated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameForm.OnActivate App(Boolean active)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameForm.WndProc(Me ssage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Chime
Assembly Version: 1.1.1.2
Win32 Version: 1.1.1.2
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/chime/Chime.exe
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
Assembly Version: 3.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.1.10527.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game/3.1.0.0__6d5c3888ef60e27d/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll
Microsoft.Xna.Framework
Win32 Version: 3.1.10527.0 built by: xnabldr
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework/3.1.0.0__6d5c3888ef60e27d/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
Steamworks
Assembly Version: 1.0.3901.29422
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/chime/Steamworks.DLL
msvcm90
Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.4926
Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.4926
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729. 4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a/msvcm90.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Chime.resources
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/chime/en-GB/Chime.resources.DLL
DirectShowLib-2005
Assembly Version: 2.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/chime/DirectShowLib-2005.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Also took an screen shot of the other error that followed the above.

aastii
09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
If it was fixed by restarting your machine then you can't really lay the blame on Chime and should instead focus it toward the OS.

Several games I've installed have needed to install some kind of .NET framework, like Chime did, none needed a restart or threw up problems. Several programs I've installed have needed a restart afterwards in order to work properly, and have always flagged it. I'm not saying it is a problem with Chime, I'm saying it would be nice to say "you need to restart your computer" if you do, than leave you to figure it out.

But then again, not sure if it happened to anyone else, but I did a fresh install of Windows 2 days ago, and it once again needed the restart before chime would work, so chuff knows if it is just me, or the game itself and 1 of its many other problems working correctly with windows, even though it relies so heavily on windows

darius_dan
09-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Posted in an individual topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431127

I don't know if others noticed it, but sometimes, after a 4th beat, when the line vanishes throw the right, the next sample don't "fit" very well on the song, just like the song skipped a little. As the music experience are really important on this game, seeing it fixed would be great and then this would be perfect.

Thanks OneBigGame for this masterpiece.

marcelo88boy
09-12-2010, 01:11 AM
I posted my problem in another thread.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16941744&postcount=15

Can't even launch properly.

rikkit
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I can reproduce the error JophesMannhoh gets, by opening Chime and then hibernating Windows. When I resume, half the time I get that error (3/7 times so far).

dinkerz
09-13-2010, 08:17 AM
yeah, i dont think the "chime team" is going to fix anything. i think a lot of people just donated $5.

sammiedora
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
It starts to initialize and says it's running first-time setup. The screen flashes to black, and then goes back to the desktop, with no indication that I tried to open it ever.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit on a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-N320E)

Video card: Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

I've got DirextX version 11

Steps I have taken so far:

- Installing all Windows updates, reboot
- Clicked to run Steam as administrator
- Verified that all my drivers are up-to-date
- Disabled any background applications that I could

It gets to the ""self-extracting cabinet" setup and then just closes.

number3son
09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
yeah, i dont think the "chime team" is going to fix anything. i think a lot of people just donated $5.

There was some kind of update issued today. My flickering problem is still there but some of the other bugs may have been fixed.

Jalan
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
yeah, i dont think the "chime team" is going to fix anything.

Clearly you've thought wrong.

They've at least corrected the issue with the executable constantly wanting to install the game development environment materials (or whatever it was).

ambience07
09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I've loaded the update. The game still just flashes a black screen and shuts down the .exe. No dice. Windows Vista 32 bit, factory graphics, lenovo desktop. Not really sure what else to post.

Neikius
09-14-2010, 03:32 PM
One time when I started the game I could not see my pieces. I could see the "next piece" but the current piece was not visible, and none of the pieces I placed were visible. I had to exit all the way out of the game and restart to "fix" it.

This.

Haven't found a fix yet.

5770CF, win7 etc.

Hope this gets fixed or fixes itself... as it is now, the game is unplayable.

Neikius
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Got a solution. It was ffdshow. So, the detailed explaination:

1) open chime
2) you get black screen and loading cursor animation
3) ctrl+alt+del so you see ffdshow popped up that info window whether you wanna use it for video playback
4) make it go away
5) there are no shapes in chime

FiX? in step 4 click "never ask again" then probably because I didn't alttab it now miraculously works. Or it might be that this time I chose "yes, use ffdshow always"... anyway its ok now.

karln
09-17-2010, 11:34 AM
System.Exception: The specified module could not be found.

at Chime.Video.VideoPlayer..ctor(String FileName, Boolean loop, GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice)

wheeeeeeeee

Kakoso
09-17-2010, 01:02 PM
When I launch the game crashes and appears the following error message.

System.Exception: La operación no se puede reallizar porque la patilla no están conectadas.
en Chime.Video.VideoPlayer.. ctor (String FileName, Boolean loop,
en Cascade.Game1.LoadContent()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
en Cascade.Game1.Initialize()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
en Cascade.Program.Main(String[] args)

PD: The error message is in spanish language.

Zlin
09-18-2010, 12:39 AM
The Steam client says Chime has Steam Cloud support but it doesn't appear to be working. I recently reinstalled windows and my progress was reset. Also when I right click the game in Steam and go to Properties / Updates it says 0 bytes stored on the Steam Cloud.

hwxlhrider
09-18-2010, 04:41 PM
I haven't had any launch problems but my heart goes out to those who still can't launch it. And I read 3 pages of basically the same thing happening, looking for probs. I'm facing and didn't find any!
The 'explorer' achievement is probably,so it seems anyway the least likely to get achieved, "or the next in line at least," because the timed levels needed to complete are 5 but there are 6 levels?Whats up with that misinformed, and confusing info?

Anyway, the mouse response in timed games stinks. And the mouse response in untimed games are perfect. Why are the two so dramatically different?
The thing that's wrong is in timed games the response time loses precious "nanoseconds". Either the blocks won't rotate sometimes or I need to slide my mouse an inch or more to make the block location move to where I want it to go.
And in untimed mode the "Quads" aren't changing fast enough. I swear to gawd! It's like the damn things are looped and they stick,sputter,and cement themselves together :mad:.

Now when I have 99% of the untimed mode completed it shouldn't stop and go to the next stage should it?:mad: Really? In untimed mode it decides to start the next stage when I'm 99% finished!
The next update should make it easier to monitor our progress.Yaknow? like more ways of tracking timed and untimed modes, and etc...

IDED2010
09-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm getting the pins are not connected message to, as suggested previosuly it seems that problem is directly related to ms direct show, part of ms direct x.
This error is not specific to chime and thus imples that the problem is a more common element, filters being the main focus of most of the support suggestions I have located whilst searching.
I have tried installing additional filters to help and I am in the proccess of reintalling the latest direct x 9 (Win xp 32bit)
If that doesnt work then it does look like its going to be due to codecs for video decompression that are causing it and would mean removing any non-ms codecs from the system to locate the one causing this issue... depressing.
If anyone else has found an alternative to this course of action that could fix the issue please share as removing all the codecs really isnt something that will be easy might as well reinstall windows but for the sake of a 3.99 game I dont want to have to reinstall my whole pc.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Cascade.Game1.UpdateDisplayMode(Boolean firstTimeStartup)
at Cascade.Game1.Game1_Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.OnActivated(Object sender, EventArgs args)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostActivated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnActivated()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.GameWindow Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow.OnActivated()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameWindow.mainForm _ApplicationActivated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameForm.OnActivate App(Boolean active)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameForm.WndProc(Me ssage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Chime
CodeBase: file:///o:/steam/steamapps/common/chime/Chime.exe
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
Win32 Version: 3.1.10527.0
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game/3.1.0.0__6d5c3888ef60e27d/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll
Microsoft.Xna.Framework
Win32 Version: 3.1.10527.0 built by: xnabldr
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework/3.1.0.0__6d5c3888ef60e27d/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
Steamworks
Assembly Version: 1.0.3905.25063
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///o:/steam/steamapps/common/chime/Steamworks.DLL
msvcm90
Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.4148
Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.4148
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729. 4148_x-ww_d495ac4e/msvcm90.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.21022.8 built by: RTM
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Chime.resources
CodeBase: file:///o:/steam/steamapps/common/chime/en-GB/Chime.resources.DLL
DirectShowLib-2005
Assembly Version: 2.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///o:/steam/steamapps/common/chime/DirectShowLib-2005.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
ri_soagv
CodeBase: file:///F:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

JJTAG290
09-28-2010, 07:52 PM
What about the "pins aren't connected" problem?? There will be a solution??

cobberjoe
10-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm still waiting, too. Re-installed .NET, and got the same result. No replies via e-mail from the Chime team either. An acknowledgment in this forum would be nice.

JophesMannhoh
10-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Alright, it has been long enough. I really hope all of you that CAN play Chime have twice as much fun than normal, because I can't do F--- all with it. These developers need to get their act together.

JJTAG290
10-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Thank you so much guys!!! The '-novideo' stuff worked and now I can play the game. Great job. Thank you so much. =D

Jalan
10-09-2010, 04:04 AM
The Ultimate Champion achievement requirements were altered on the in-game section, but you can still unlock it using the method described on the steam page (100% or more on the original five levels in 3 minute mode).

I'm guessing this is a bug, since I didn't even notice the in-game alteration until after I'd wiped the floor with the original 5 in 3 minute mode and noticed the unlock. I'd only finished one of the levels in the 6 minute mode, so clearly it didn't happen as the game would've preferred.

sorapapa
10-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey everyone,

i posted this issue to the e-mail address a few weeks ago, but i did not get any replies (also nothing about it in google), so i got fed up, and solved it myself. The problem was that whenever a tried to launch Chime i got an error stating that no suitible graphics card was found (Sapphire Radeon HD5870) and that i require pixel shader x and vertex shader y.

First i thought it was because i updated my graphics driver through steam, but even if i installed an older version that did not solve it. Then i remembered that i cannot play since i got my new monitors, and changed my resolution from 1280*1024 to 1600*900. I tried removing local data then reinstalling chime, that did not solve it either. Tried changing the resolution to 1280*1024, but still the same not too helpflul error came up.

Then i tried and installed another game that uses xna, and it was not installed before on this machine, and that played perfectly, so i got a haunch.

The Solution:
I removed the file called DisplayMode.sav from this folder:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Chime

After that Chime ran smoothly as before, and even my progress wasn't lost.

The problem is XNA and not game related (any XNA based game that was installed before the resolution change would not run for me), but i don't know a better place on this forum to post this.

I hope this helps some oher people stuck with a similiar problem.

Talon2117
10-10-2010, 11:24 PM
anyone else getting the error CS1583: C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\TempCSCECC9.tmp is not a vailid Win32 resource file?

I'm having the same problem as many of you, the game tries to start, then gives the error message.

Xabarin
11-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Chime does not upload my scores and progress in my pc. I have Steam cloud enabled both in preferences and in the game.

Could anyone tell me if I'm the only one? Or is this a general bug?

Shrody
12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Soultion at the top of the page didn't work.

Vista 64-bit
Phenom x4 950
ATI 4250

Had a very similar problem with Osmos game, never did get fixed.

|edit|
Fixed it this time.
Went into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chime\XNA FX Redist and ran installer. Restarted Steam, started playing. Hope this helps someone.

guil13st
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Still doesnt work. It says "Starting Chime" then the screen flashes anddddd.....nothing happens.

NowImNothing
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Soultion at the top of the page didn't work.

Vista 64-bit
Phenom x4 950
ATI 4250

Had a very similar problem with Osmos game, never did get fixed.

|edit|
Fixed it this time.
Went into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chime\XNA FX Redist and ran installer. Restarted Steam, started playing. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks, for some reason xna fx would not install from the steam folder. I had to run it off my desktop.

bobzilla21
12-07-2010, 01:36 AM
http://tinypic.com/r/2cqgns1/7
Yeah, the game's not starting up properly for me, and I have no idea what it's saying. :(

Dark_One2012
12-07-2010, 01:40 AM
http://tinypic.com/r/2cqgns1/7
Yeah, the game's not starting up properly for me, and I have no idea what it's saying. :(

I have this problem as well. Many others have posted topics to this problem and no one seems to have a solution. I have:

Reinstalled Chime
Reinstalled .NET Framework
Used the .NET installer included with Chime to Repair .NET
Everything this forum has suggested

Nothing has worked. Why does no one seem to know the answer?

Win 7 64bit

bobzilla21
12-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Win 7 64bit
I have Win 7 64 bit too.
Maybe that's the problem? Though it doesn't tell me what I can do about it.

Dark_One2012
12-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Figured something out. Doesn't really help us if we are trying to get the Achievements.

I downloaded a stand alone copy which works just fine...whatever this is, it's a Steam problem.

k@zek
12-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Using '-novideo' fixed the error at startup problem.

Cheers

Dark_One2012
12-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Using '-novideo' fixed the error at startup problem.

Cheers

Thank you for you help but that is a solution to another problem. The problem I get happens with -novideo in the launch options.

EDIT: Another thing that happens is sometimes when I get the error my taskbar disappears. I can get it back by launching the game again and Ctrl+Alt+Del before the error occurs. Weird.

Impulze
12-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I get "bin/SteamService.exe not found.

Any idea ?...
also -novideo doesnt work

HWFG1
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I've tried updating WMP and the -novideo thing. Neither works for me. It just goes through the two step installation thing, launches the game for 2 seconds (enough to wear my steam account says I'm playing it, but I don't even see a black screen or anything), and then quits.

EDIT: Nevermind. I updated the .NET Framework to 4.0, and went to play the game. It took a good deal longer to go through installation, but it's working now.

ChaosSnakeX
12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you for you help but that is a solution to another problem. The problem I get happens with -novideo in the launch options.

EDIT: Another thing that happens is sometimes when I get the error my taskbar disappears. I can get it back by launching the game again and Ctrl+Alt+Del before the error occurs. Weird.

I think I'm getting the same one, and I've also had the issue with my taskbar disappearing. I got it back by Ctrl+Alt+Del-ing, closing explorer.exe and restarting it. But, yeah, this is a bit frustrating.

You'd think Steam would choose to highlight a game to kick off this event with one that, you know, didn't have such rampant issues.

dinkerz
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I have this problem as well. Many others have posted topics to this problem and no one seems to have a solution. I have:

Reinstalled Chime
Reinstalled .NET Framework
Used the .NET installer included with Chime to Repair .NET
Everything this forum has suggested

Nothing has worked. Why does no one seem to know the answer?

Win 7 64bit

im with ya man. i check back here every few months and read every new page for the chime forum, and NOTHING. at least the game didnt cost $50 or the likes

ChaosSnakeX
12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I've got an image of my error, which is not the usual ones going around relating to video, I think.
http://tinypic.com/r/k0039/7
Ironically, I remembered to erase one partial email address visible, but not the other. Oh well, it's the spam one I made about a decade ago, anyway.

Edit: Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit or something? I'm too lazy to remember anything about what I'm running.
I've tried reinstalling, -novideo, and I've tried updating to .Net Framework 4.

damaged
12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I've got an image of my error, which is not the usual ones going around relating to video, I think.
http://tinypic.com/r/k0039/7
Ironically, I remembered to erase one partial email address visible, but not the other. Oh well, it's the spam one I made about a decade ago, anyway.

Edit: Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit or something? I'm too lazy to remember anything about what I'm running.
I've tried reinstalling, -novideo, and I've tried updating to .Net Framework 4.

That looks like a permissions problem.

ChaosSnakeX
12-07-2010, 08:18 PM
For the mostly-computer illiterate, perhaps you could explain what my problem is? I'm the only user on my laptop, and as such an admin.

Edit: I notice that the error mentions my C:/. Would it be worth noting that I've changed my default Steam folder over to my D:/?

bobzilla21
12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
For the mostly-computer illiterate, perhaps you could explain what my problem is? I'm the only user on my laptop, and as such an admin.

Edit: I notice that the error mentions my C:/. Would it be worth noting that I've changed my default Steam folder over to my D:/?
Weird, exact same as me. :/

myflplfe
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Still can't get this game to work. I try to start up the game, the screen goes black, and nothing happens. Windows Task Manager shows the game starts and then it closes. I don't get any error messages and so far, none of the solutions provided here seem to work.

So annoying.

Pll
12-08-2010, 12:06 AM
looks do not know what is happening, already installed everything I could, did what they sent and so far nothing
http://img34.imageshack.us/f/39538241.jpg/

configuration of my PC
Windows XP/32Bits
E4500
GF 9600 GT

chickenkong
12-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Also getting a 'system.invalidoperation. exception' message. Any ideas or feedback from the game designers re these errors?

Luckbox
12-08-2010, 01:44 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/SoGDsimple/steamwtf.jpg

glad it was a gift :(

serieus1
12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
The only issue I've bumped into was when I was alt-tabbing between Steam and Chime to see if my high score made it to the leaderboards and thus giving me the achievement for the treasure hunt.

I got the same message as Luckbox and then crashed out.

Other than that I haven't had any other problems. Been smooth so far. And honestly it took a few tries to get that achievement. Maybe if I had learned a bit more about how to play the game, it would have helped.

strnadik01
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I cant see blocks and I see BLACK background behind play grid when I play.
I tried -novideo,low GFX,change resolution,update DirectX,.NET,atd...
I can just randomly place blocks ...MY MAXIMUM COVERAGE : 29% :(

Zeewolf
12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
For me, there are a lot of flickering graphics in the game that make it difficult to play. It starts at the first logo screen and occurs in the menu and game screens as well (windowed mode works fine in the logo and menu screens, but the flickering starts up as soon as I begin gameplay). During actual gameplay, the flickering element is the background, while the game board, cursor, and time bar look fine. Also happens regardless if I use High or Low detail settings. I am running WinXP 32-bit with a Geforce 460 card.

I have the same background flickering, it's quite headache-inducing, so until it gets sorted I can't really play this game.

la_truite
12-09-2010, 02:24 PM
about flickering:

In windows XP all the screen is flickering, even in the menus.

But in Windows 7, all is perfect and clean!

Strange?

FulValBot (ITA)
12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
i'm gettings mouse lag on menu of game... (as for call of duty 4... :|)

but i'm using chime on window mode, not fullscreen...

how can i fix this...?

i'm using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit...

SnyM
12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I have an issue with the game not exiting properly. Or at least Steam community will not register that I've left the game.

Everytime I exit Chime, my community status remains as "In-Game" and everyone of my friends sees me still playing Chime. I can start and play other games fine but it doesn't change the status from "playing Chime". Only solution is to restart Steam.

This has happened 100% of the time, and it's really annoying.

lepraconmcpot
12-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Everyone!

Hope you're all enjoying Chime! We realise there are still a few kinks to iron out, and we want to get working on them as soon as possible.

If you do run into a bug or have issues playing the game, please post them in this thread or alternatively contact

customersupport@zoemode.com

The more details you include in your emails, the faster we can track down and eliminate all those nasty bugs.

UPDATE

If you are experiencing problems with the game crashing on start up, please make sure that you have Windows Media Player 11 or higher installed on your PC. It may also be worth reinstalling Windows Media Player even if you have 11 or above.

UPDATE 2

For those experiencing problems getting the game to start or running into errors concerning video compression, try disabling video playback. This can be done via a launch option.

To disable video playback:

Right-click on Chime in the Steam games library, and select properties (http://imgur.com/MJQQ3.png)

Click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... (http://imgur.com/h67fL.png)

Enter –novideo and click OK (http://imgur.com/wu6K2.png)

Launch Chime as usual

I tried all of this and it still just crashes at start up and ask to send error report. I'm on XP 32bit SP3

Zoë Community
01-31-2011, 02:38 AM
If the above possible solutions do not fix you issues it maybe also that XNA FX 31 is not properly installing from the steam directory for some reason.

Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\chime\XNA FX Redist". Copy the file "xnafx31_redist.msi" to your desktop, or the root of your drive, and install it from there.

We've also heard that the anti-virus software Threatfire may cause issues if running in the background alongside Steam. Please make sure you close Threatfire before running any Steam games.

We apologise for any inconvenience these issues are causing you all and we are working very hard to fix them soon.

perato
02-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I have an issue with the game not exiting properly. Or at least Steam community will not register that I've left the game.

Everytime I exit Chime, my community status remains as "In-Game" and everyone of my friends sees me still playing Chime. I can start and play other games fine but it doesn't change the status from "playing Chime". Only solution is to restart Steam.

This has happened 100% of the time, and it's really annoying.Same bug here from the beginning. Quite annoying. Shows that I have played the game for 50h, when in reality its closer to 15h.

eg0elite
02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
core i7 920, hd5870 should be overkill no? Yet the game runs at a fluctuating fps between mid 30s and low 50s making the mouse movement inconsistent and sluggish.

Not having a good time.

Here is a pic showing my fps low. I've already tried the suggestions in the issues and bugs sticky.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20z6vsl&s=7

Cross posted from my own thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637441

Custards87
02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
core i7 920, hd5870 should be overkill no? Yet the game runs at a fluctuating fps between mid 30s and low 50s making the mouse movement inconsistent and sluggish.

Not having a good time.

Here is a pic showing my fps low. I've already tried the suggestions in the issues and bugs sticky.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20z6vsl&s=7

Cross posted from my own thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637441

I'm having exactly the same issue, both on my laptop and on my girlfriend's. It runs okay on low graphics, but as soon as I turn it to High, the mouse moves erratically and slowly.

Could it be a V-sync issue perhaps? I've really no idea what to do.

eg0elite
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm having exactly the same issue, both on my laptop and on my girlfriend's. It runs okay on low graphics, but as soon as I turn it to High, the mouse moves erratically and slowly.

Could it be a V-sync issue perhaps? I've really no idea what to do.

Changing it to low had no effect on my system. I have since run -verbose and sent the log to customer support. I noticed several errors flagged in the log so hopefully they will do something about it.

TheSentry
05-08-2011, 03:40 AM
It'S been a while, but is there anything new on the cloud thing? Just for the record:

Chime claims that it uses the Steam Cloud, but it doesn't, at least not for savegames.

Could you please give us information whether this is a bug or just not implemented?

diogo_cme
06-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Alright, it has been long enough. I really hope all of you that CAN play Chime have twice as much fun than normal, because I can't do F--- all with it. These developers need to get their act together.

+1 on that.

Such a shame, I'm not buying anything from these guys ever again.

PyroMomma
07-23-2011, 12:29 AM
A little problem with Free Mode:

I played through all the songs in Timed Mode, from Philip Glass to the new Portal song. In turn, this unlocked all the songs in Free Mode, except for the Portal song. No matter how many times I play it in Timed Mode, it will not unlock in Free Mode.

The rest work great though, and I am thoroughly enjoying the game!

Please tell me there is a solution to this. I've got the same issue.