PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: My weekend on Open Beta

Warseth
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
My guess is NDA is lifted I keep getting mixed messages and have not checked the site. But so what I am going to give an opinion is all.

FFXI Players will recognize many similar things. The 3 nations, terrain though improved seems along the same lines on environmental maps. They added more depth to it , but nothing significant.

As for classes and how they work. SO far I feel a bit lost in direction here. You are able to be everything it seems. So it doesn't matter what you start as really.

Solo ability compared to FFXI PC launch. It's certainly there vs our past experiences. Though still a time sink leveling your skill and physical levels.

The crafting seems to be pretty similar . No details since I have yet to start, I have been farming materials this entire time.

I stand next to my prior pre-judgment of the game. The combat is still too slow for what I think the current MMO generation would go for. It is improved in every sense in comparison to FFXI. I just feel deep down that it won't be the hit FFXI was and will have a harder time retaining players with the competition out and coming out in the MMO world.

All the things I liked in FFXI are in FFXIV. The bad things seem to have been removed or fine tuned to be better.

The problem I have with beta is parties. How do I function in them? I tried the party menu...no option yet to flag LFG. Yet an option to recruit..(oo k). I can search for groups recruiting yet I find nothing on the entire world. Great.

The largest factor in my decision to play is party mechanics and partying. FFXI Classic (pc launch) it was group or not progress.
I now see this is solo able...but is the grouping as good or better ? I dont know.

So if you were an old school FFXI player, I think you may like this. I just warn you that the progress treadmill though improved is still slow.

For those who never played FFXI, Get your booty in open beta. It's not for everyone because of all the time sinks FFXI is known for. Waiting on transport (yes you actually sit on the boat waiting to arrive 5 min later). Heck I spent 30+ min running from my city La Noscea to this Druidish haven city Grindania(spelling?)...Just to buy equipment for my Archer..which no other city had the vendor for. (sound familiar FFXI people?).

FFXIV is FFXI improved and I think should have been the game they launched back then. Will it up hold to our standards today with Warcraft,Eq2, Guildwars2,Star wars Galaxies, DC universe online, and what ever i didnt remember out there?

This game Has no feeling of Fail to me...it does lean to Niche because of its style.

I implore you to try the Beta to be sure you want to spend the money on this. It's not fail..but it's no warcraft or eq2 when it comes to faster combat and progress.

Fatdude
09-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I really hate the UI.It needs to be redesigned complatly for PC users.Right now pc users use a ui made for PS3 and controllers.Targetting players in your party or targetting mobs is also really REALLY bad.

Crafting is deep.But you also need a guide to properly craft things.There is no recipe book to check your previus crafts so you need to alt tab out of the constantly to check new recipes.

Oh wait... you cant alt tab out of the fullscreen game because its not supported.If you do that game crashes.

While the story,graphics,animations etc is great having huge timesinks and really bad ui doesnt make the game hardcore which most ppl want.

Because of the name Final Fantasy this game will sell really great but if it had another name as its title it would have failed really bad in this generation.

I suggest ppl to wait at least 3 months to buy this game.It doesnt have any end game content so i'm going to wait untill they patch in some bosses or something.After , saw how interactive(runing around , dodging and such) WoW bosses are i wont accept anything less from a PVE only game.

1 more thing.You character seems like it can be everything but it cant.Its a great way to mislead ppl.There are 2 mage classes and 5 melee and 1 ranged class.

While as a gladiator you need more vit to increase your def and make your a better tank vit isnt that important for rangers.So if a ranger tries to be a tank he will have less defence and wont be as usefull as other gladiators.
Same for Mage - Melee changes.Changing from melee to mage or vice versa gimps your character as you wont have enough points in str or int to deal damage , dex or piety to be able to hit monsters and vit or mind to heal more or take less damage.

MellonCollie
09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
tg;dr

FFXIV actually is a huge step backwards from XI. Just my two cents.

Xenofreak
09-08-2010, 12:45 AM
I didn't play FFXI but I'll chime in. Some people have probably read some of what I said in the other FFXIV topic, and while I've changed my mind some, a lot of criticisms still remain.

The UI is one of the first and foremost. It truly is designed with consoles in mind, with no hotkeys to pull up things like the inventory, equipment, or stat screens. At least that I saw. Hell, escape doesn't even bring up the menu, you have to click the button in the bottom corner. It's also, in most cases, unbelievably laggy. Not a little laggy, but basically completely bum-♥♥♥♥ing and throttling your CPU and/or internet laggy. It often makes things take twice as long as it normally would.

Combat isn't too slow, depending on what you pick. Melee, I've found, has a decent pace to it. It's a bit slow if you run out of stamina, but otherwise has a decent pace. Casting on the other hand is a nightmarish ordeal. First, you have to have a target selected in order to cast, which you may expect. But then, you have to basically confirm that target, then there's a little animation, then a 3 second cast time on the basic spells that doesn't start till after the little animation. It's pretty slow and painful.

Crafting, well, I have mixed feelings on it. And while it's hard to fully evaluate it since we lack access to guilds and several recipes are still missing in open beta, it's a cluster♥♥♥♥. Most professions are codependent on at least one other professions for a good portion of things they can create, whether that's good or bad to you really depends on what you want out of a crafting system. Some will like, some won't mind it, some will hate it. I'm in the middle myself. Where the crafting system really gets to me is the amount of trouble you have to go through to successfully craft. You can fail while making any piece, and the chances of you failing seem arbitrary at times. I'd make one item for hours to level a profession and not fail but once. I'd come back later, after several hours, and fail that item 10% of the time. If you fail, everything is gone, completely gone. You can imagine the frustration in trying to craft higher level items, only to fail on the final item itself after failing repeatedly on each individual piece. Strangely enough, it seems the final piece is often easier to make than the individual parts, but that still doesn't get rid of the chance of failing in the end.

It is, at least so far, much more solo friendly, which I personally like. There's still incentives to group up, such as extra quest rewards beyond your own limit, but you can go it alone if that's what you wish.

The traveling, as said above, is painful. It's slow. And I mean slow. The worst part is, despite how long it takes to travel, it's not because the world feels big. Hell, the world actually feels pretty small. It's just that it feels like you move painfully slow.

Optimization during this sadly seems to be completely lacking. My friend, on what I'd consider a mid-range PC (4gb ram, good dual core, GTS 250) and has turn settings down all the way, and has to turn resolution down quite a bit just to run at a somewhat acceptable level. And that's only while away from any sort of slightly populated areas. I know it's not that good of a computer, but I'd still expect it to be able to, with lowest settings and native resolution of 1440x900 whatever it is, do over 30 fps in unpopulated areas and 15 at best in populated areas.

As a person who's desperate to find a replacement for WoW, desperate enough to have played many MMO's, including AoC and Aion, I'd have to say I'm going to give this a pass. Without some serious work on the crafting system, to make crafting more reliable and less disappointment filled, and reworking of the ui to lag less and much more PC friendly, I just can't get myself to spend the money on it.

mansta
09-08-2010, 04:49 AM
I really hate the UI.It needs to be redesigned complatly for PC users.Right now pc users use a ui made for PS3 and controllers.Targetting players in your party or targetting mobs is also really REALLY bad.

Crafting is deep.But you also need a guide to properly craft things.There is no recipe book to check your previus crafts so you need to alt tab out of the constantly to check new recipes.

Oh wait... you cant alt tab out of the fullscreen game because its not supported.If you do that game crashes.

While the story,graphics,animations etc is great having huge timesinks and really bad ui doesnt make the game hardcore which most ppl want.

Because of the name Final Fantasy this game will sell really great but if it had another name as its title it would have failed really bad in this generation.

I suggest ppl to wait at least 3 months to buy this game.It doesnt have any end game content so i'm going to wait untill they patch in some bosses or something.After , saw how interactive(runing around , dodging and such) WoW bosses are i wont accept anything less from a PVE only game.

1 more thing.You character seems like it can be everything but it cant.Its a great way to mislead ppl.There are 2 mage classes and 5 melee and 1 ranged class.

While as a gladiator you need more vit to increase your def and make your a better tank vit isnt that important for rangers.So if a ranger tries to be a tank he will have less defence and wont be as usefull as other gladiators.
Same for Mage - Melee changes.Changing from melee to mage or vice versa gimps your character as you wont have enough points in str or int to deal damage , dex or piety to be able to hit monsters and vit or mind to heal more or take less damage.

You forget the main area FF excels is its story telling. FFXI kept gamers for years not because of its gameplay or bosses but because of the story lines it had. I think the kind of bosses you see in simple games such as WoW would ruin the traditional FF feel.

Warseth
09-08-2010, 08:44 AM
UI: Improved from FFXI But yes it is still geared towards controller. It’s still a lot better than FFXI Ui.

Possible Solutions: Macro commands to pull inventory, quest logs, gear access. ( I do know you can macro swap gear on one button how is the question, you will need a guide)

NM aka (bosses /rare mobs): It’s going to be in for sure. They have plenty of time to prepare the end game content. I know they will have raids prepared before any group is near end game levels. Thanks to the slower paced progression they can make it and have it as bug free before we reach it. ( I know this by Squares previous title).

My theory:
They have will have Airships ( I found a dock out in the wilderness) and for sure Chocobo’s again. My guess is we will have to reach a Physical level of 20 like previous game. What I don’t know is will we have to do the god awful License quest which took hours of waiting. Let’s hope not cause that is a game killing time sink for many players.

Jobs aka Classes:
You really can be any class like in the past. Instead of mog house changing up and changing gear, you do it on the spot by weapon or tool in hand. That is it. Again I have questions on will they release advanced classes soon after launch. Like FFXI it came out with base jobs Warrior,Thief,White mage, Black Mage blah blah blah…later came the Samurai , Ninja, Dragoon etc etc.

PC Users: My advise if you decide to just dive on in with all the feedback you see here. Get the Official Strat Guide when it comes out. It was a god send on FFXI for myself and Linkshell (guild). You need to write recipes down or have a book on it. You will need to learn macro system if you want to make your UI life most easy. Example : Click a button and it automatically equips your Smith Tools and Smith Armor … Click another button you auto swap out into Archer gear. This will save us much time. I know it’s here but the commands have changed..hence need a guide or something.

My Thoughts on Targeting:
It certainly needs improvement on the target closest button. Many times I have Leves (quests) that have 2 mobs come at me …and I drop one..to only clunk around to target the next one. This is precious time wasted that could be life or death situation here. I also believe the reason they allow target nearest be it NPC or PC vs just NPC is on purpose. To prevent “future” problems with Auto Targeting Rare Spawns. That was a huge problem with cheaters in FFXI.

There is a lot put in place to disrupt past cheating macro users. Gill Sellers are also something they learned a VERY hard lesson on. They have counter measures designed in the game and I am sure some unseen to us. I can see some things in place that are designed to thwart Bot users.
We kinda have to suffer through the initial launch.

Final Thoughts on Square:
Solid company. There games will launch more smoothly than most companies , but they still will have issues. They have been for the most part stable clients on release for the most part. Lessons from the last game I believe they will kick Gil sellers right in the nads. They are extremely aggressive on Gold Sellers and Bots …they learned a hard lesson if you are a EX FFXI player you know this to be true.. Though too late on reaction in the past game..I hope they did learn this lesson and are as mean and aggressive on the start.

Fatdude
09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
You forget the main area FF excels is its story telling. FFXI kept gamers for years not because of its gameplay or bosses but because of the story lines it had. I think the kind of bosses you see in simple games such as WoW would ruin the traditional FF feel.

No.Wow Boss encaunters ruining FF14?Are you high?It would take the game to a whole new level.Also yes storytelling is good.

While the story,graphics,animations etc is great

If you read my post you will see that i wrote the above quote.FFXI didnt kept his gamers for years for its stories.It kept them because there was no alternative when the game launched.

But now there are tens of MMOs floating around.Some good,some bad but there are more alternatives which is bad for SE and FF14

Warseth
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Ok here we go again:

So far I have leveled up battle classes up to 10 minus Archer which is sitting at 16. Physical level 19.

I believe this is much worse than FFXI in terms of progress now. Only in beta ..lets hope live there will be grouping more.

We had Valkrum Dunes in the past ...from there the Towers at Jueno... the Ruins outside of Jueno ...then Crawlers nest ...etc etc... There were key grouping locations to level up.

I tried my first group and we farmed on Giant Crabs...it was SOOO slow....I burned through 1k arrows and barely leveled the skills. Yet I hit most of the time..crit on most of my shots to.

I progress much faster solo...sadly. We even chain killed them and no chain xp was noticed.

I have hit a very stale point in beta. Grouping is rare in terms of finding a pug.... and so far the only group I could find it was suck. Good people...solid group. Crappy in terms of group progression by grinding on mobs.

FFXI fans... I would certainly not go in without a LS already. Those who are going in a lone. Wait it out and see what Live has to offer. Let the first wave figure things out and establish an economy first. Then dive in if you plan to. It is best I think that you hold off first and not deal with the frustrations of pioneering the game.

HaVok
10-31-2010, 04:03 PM
tg;dr

FFXIV actually is a huge step backwards from XI. Just my two cents.

Your two cents is ripped off text from reviews out already. That's what everyone is saying - yet it is untrue. FFXIV is a great game, its deep and the fact that you can truely be anything you want - at anytime.. is amazing. There are bugs, but those get worked out - and yes, i do hate the map and UI. SE knows this, and is already planning the patch for December. The problem is that reviewers are reviewing an MMO in its baby stages - NO MMO should be reviewed that early (same month of release, are you kidding me) MMO's take months, even years to fully smooth out - and i think FFXIV is already such a great game - i cant wait to see what happens next with it.

...just a shame that people are too reliant on some guys review instead of trying it themselves or being optimistic to see what it could be... now the game has a crap review (except from players who actually play it) stuck to it.. tarnishing its name. I guess i dont care except the game needs defending when someone asks, "hey what you been playing lately?" and you respond with that - because all they are going to do is go "Hey thats cool im gonna check that out!" and just pull up a review and go " Oh, it sucks nvm"

The nice thing is its Final Fantasy and its always going to have its fan and player base from XI there for it.

Freyar
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
A step back from XI? At least I can play FFXIV.

Like all MMOs, FFXIV has much to be worked on, but it's fairly unique compared to the moderate amount of fantasy MMORPGs.