PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Accepted, Goon Translators

Hunter 1
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Besides, my X52 hasn't been touched since the last time I opened up FS2_Open, so I think I'll make a stab at playing through the game with a flightstick. (Hey, I continue to try and beat StB and DS, and I rather suck at dealing with bullet hell; this will be a piece of cake in comparison.)

SpaceDrake
09-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Excellent. We totally need screenshots and/or video of this in action.

AzureEmmanuel
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I dont understand what this is at all.

Cantisque
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I dont understand what this is at all.

This, I think!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Flight-Controller-System-Joystick/dp/B00030GSJY

Hunter 1
09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Yep, that's the one! It's a good choice for doing this, since it has 6 buttons in easy reach of your right hand (and since the game only uses 5...). The stick's sensitivity is a bit off for a game that uses digital input instead of analog (think the difference between the d-pad on a Wiimote and the stick on the Nunchuck), but that only means it won't register the "direction" until I push the stick all the way.

As for the screencaps/vids... Eh, maybe. Would it qualify as a LP if I did so? ;)

Kuiper
09-09-2010, 07:22 AM
For a moment, I thought the OP had said fightstick. Odds are pretty good that I actually will play this game with a (modded) SE.

msoya
09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Can you map increasing/decreasing prices to the throttle? I mean, I'm sure it'd just be another way of using up/down, but it has to be more fun to slam the throttle forwards when a rich customer comes in.

Backupcavalry
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
"Dive dive dive! Hit your Just Bonus, little girl!"

Hunter 1
09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Can you map increasing/decreasing prices to the throttle? I mean, I'm sure it'd just be another way of using up/down, but it has to be more fun to slam the throttle forwards when a rich customer comes in.

I would likely have to find the software for the X52, but I could in theory have the stick set up for primary control via custom.exe and bind the throttle in the X52's software to up and down on the keyboard...

"Dive dive dive! Hit your Just Bonus, little girl!"

Heh, I loved the start of that mission...

Kyper
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
For a moment, I thought the OP had said fightstick. Odds are pretty good that I actually will play this game with a (modded) SE.

Heh I've played the demo with an HRAP2, felt comfortable enough. Though I don't know how it'll work out when you get to characters that have 5 skills.

Keeshin
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
This, I think!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Flight-Controller-System-Joystick/dp/B00030GSJY

That is a beautiful flight stick. Darn shame that they don't make many games for these kind of things.

Reminds me of my Wing Commander days. :D

Keksus
09-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I have a fight stick. I think I'll play the game with it. :D

KDR_11k
09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Meh. Flightstick? Boring. That's almost like playing a C-64 game. Play it with a yoke, then we're talking!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Yoke-System/dp/B000TCD1UK/

PNT Creed
09-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks to this thread I want to go play some Freespace 2.

sweitx
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Yep, that's the one! It's a good choice for doing this, since it has 6 buttons in easy reach of your right hand (and since the game only uses 5...). The stick's sensitivity is a bit off for a game that uses digital input instead of analog (think the difference between the d-pad on a Wiimote and the stick on the Nunchuck), but that only means it won't register the "direction" until I push the stick all the way.

As for the screencaps/vids... Eh, maybe. Would it qualify as a LP if I did so? ;)

Doesn't most stick driver allow you to set it up to trigger a digital output on, say, 50% analog (or even 10%, or 1% for something truly twitchy).

Aerowind
09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Screw you guys.

I'm going to play this game with a steering wheel. Turn the wheel to change directions and use the gas pedal to go!

Let's not worry about the vast control mapping problems that would come with that. Where there's a will, there's a way!

sweitx
09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Meh. Flightstick? Boring. That's almost like playing a C-64 game. Play it with a yoke, then we're talking!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Yoke-System/dp/B000TCD1UK/

Do they have a non-moving joystick?
Namely one that uses pressure sensing to detect which direction you're trying to move (without the stick itself actually moving).

Keksus
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Screw you guys.

I'm going to play this game with a steering wheel. Turn the wheel to change directions and use the gas pedal to go!

Let's not worry about the vast control mapping problems that would come with that. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I wonder what Recette would look like if she were a car ... :D

Aerowind
09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
She would look like a wreck.

*ba dum tish!*

Hunter 1
09-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Doesn't most stick driver allow you to set it up to trigger a digital output on, say, 50% analog (or even 10%, or 1% for something truly twitchy).

Yeah, the Saitek software allows that, but I don't have it installed on this machine.

Braddoc
09-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks to this thread I want to go play some Freespace 2.

Nice going, now I want to play Freespace as well (the 1st one was badass- never had the chacne to paly the 2nd short of the intro movie..heh)

MithranArkanere
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
You want to use a flight controller for this game?

Get a proper gamepad! You can't move with the same hand that activates the action buttons.

What do you do with the other hand? There's only 9 actions or so, including up, down, left and right.

Aerowind
09-10-2010, 10:45 AM
...he's doing this as a challenge, hence the title. There's a sort of absurd fun doing stuff like this. Like playing Dead or Alive with a Dance Dance Revolution mat. Sure, it's impractical, but it's sure fun as hell.

Hunter 1
09-10-2010, 12:51 PM
You want to use a flight controller for this game?

Get a proper gamepad! You can't move with the same hand that activates the action buttons.

What do you do with the other hand? There's only 9 actions or so, including up, down, left and right.

As I've said, I play Freespace every so often.

Yes, I can move using the same hand I use for button pressing. I have to, if I want to actually play Freespace and not suck at it.

The other hand is mostly reserved for pressing escape to bring up the menu.

...he's doing this as a challenge, hence the title. There's a sort of absurd fun doing stuff like this. Like playing Dead or Alive with a Dance Dance Revolution mat. Sure, it's impractical, but it's sure fun as hell.

Exactly. A website I spend a lot of time on calls this sort of this a "Self Imposed Challenge".