PDA

View Full Version : So scary..

nizzie
09-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Played for ~2h now.. and I'm shaking. I'm taking a break now, need to get some coffee and eat. Very great story so far, and very scary. :o

What's your impression so far?

SparkTR
09-08-2010, 04:28 AM
I've been playing for about 40 mins and it's scaring me ♥♥♥♥less. I've barely encountered any enemies but the atmosphere is so unwelcoming and isolated that I have a constant feeling of dread, every noise makes me jump. So far I'm liking this more than the Penumbra games, which are still horror masterpieces.

Azz505UK
09-08-2010, 04:36 AM
6 hours till i can play in England. :(

I envy you.

N3oN667
09-08-2010, 04:37 AM
6 hours till i can play in England. :(

I envy you.

Same over here in the states.
Feels bad man. :(

Right2Live
09-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Mwuhahahahahhahahahahaa! I'm playing :P

But something... something scares me about it...

I have to get out of here...

N3oN667
09-08-2010, 04:43 AM

Get out of my head Clarence.

Larry1212
09-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I couldn't complete Penumbra but I really want to get right into this game with the rest of you.

Azz505UK
09-08-2010, 04:54 AM

The best thing to do when it scares you that much.. get a hammer and smash your computer so i can get the satisfaction that your no longer playing the game i wan't to play! :o

NegativeReign
09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
This game caught me off-guard pretty good if that's how I should say it. Used to be a horror-game fan but the fun acradey multiplayer games stopped that. Dead Space, Doom 3, F.E.A.R. is the closest I've come to horror games. Decided to try this after playing arcade games for a year with no horror involved at all. Scared me pretty bad with my friend laughing at me being scared. Told him to try it, he was pretty quiet after that.

Best horror game I've played, although it was nothing for me as I'm not used to these horror games.

iSpaceman
09-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Man, just as a quick question, what would you do if you were in Daniel's shoes? Commit suicide? Do the daring defeats he does? Sit in a corner and have bladder incontinence from repeated jarateing of the pants?

N3oN667
09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Man, just as a quick question, what would you do if you were in Daniel's shoes? Commit suicide? Do the daring defeats he does? Sit in a corner and have bladder incontinence from repeated jarateing of the pants?

Yes I would

Thechuz
09-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Get out of my head Clarence.

+rep
10reps

Ronin6337
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I can't wait to get this game. I just got done playing the Penumbra games and will be getting this next. It takes a lot to scare me but the footsteps in the water, in the demo, freaked me out.

Kurrus
09-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Get out of here stalker

Rumina
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Played for ~2h now.. and I'm shaking. I'm taking a break now, need to get some coffee and eat. Very great story so far, and very scary. :o

My impression is that I'm really jealous of you right now. :p

Mmmoo
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I couldn't complete Penumbra but I really want to get right into this game with the rest of you.

I have to say that the idea of others playing this as I play it, isn't helping at ALL. :mad:

nizzie
09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
My impression is that I'm really jealous of you right now. :p

Heh, sorry. Maybe you'll feel better when I tell you that I only manage to play like an hour, then gotta get some rest irl. I get scared very easily. :(

JinseiZetsumei
09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Everywhere I turn I expect something to be there, I hear voices, I see things that are not really there, the ground rumbles at my feet, it feels like something is watching, sitting just out side the shadows, right on the edge of reality and nightmare... waiting for me to stop, to slip up, too try and catch my breath...

that is my first impression of 30 mins of play.

xX_Renegade_Xx
09-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Amazing atmosphere, I won't give anything away but I got to one point and something just appeared in front of me and did I jump? Just a little :eek:

Love the atmosphere and the thought of being watched all the time but you never actually know by who or what is very unnerving.

maul_inc01
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Everywhere I turn I expect something to be there, I hear voices, I see things that are not really there, the ground rumbles at my feet, it feels like something is watching, sitting just out side the shadows, right on the edge of reality and nightmare... waiting for me to stop, to slip up, too try and catch my breath...

that is my first impression of 30 mins of play.

I know how you feel, have been playing for 1Ĺ hour and I swear I saw something floating down a corridor, but it might have been some mist like effect, or maybe it's my mind that is playing tricks on me.
Now I'm at The Horror in the Water... :eek:

juhlatuutti
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Very nice game. Just played for 2 hours.
I won't spoil the scenes for you, but just have to say those voices creep me out!

maul_inc01
09-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I think my Daniel just went 99% Nuts! :D Something "knocked" on the door this half lit room I was in and he blacked out, and when he woke up, the screen was blurring like crazy, mental status was "......" LOL :D and lighting candles didn't help. So I had to move on like this until I solved the next puzzle, that gave me back some sanity. :)

Lovely moment I must say :)

Ps. This takes me back to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth where my character couldn't handle the fascinating but horrible Shoggoth in the Marsh refinery, he blew his brains out with a revolver. That game is a classic! (but sadly it's bugged).
I think that was the only game I played where equipping weapons in hand could result in a game over by suicide :D

dkbibi
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
The game is very intense! But after played the demo two days ago, I've noticed that today's gaming experience isn't as much scary since I'm playing while it's day. I STRONGLY recommand playing this at night in the dark. In fact, I've stoped playing after about an hour and half to resume play when the sun's down :P

maul_inc01
09-08-2010, 01:58 PM
The game is very intense! But after played the demo two days ago, I've noticed that today's gaming experience isn't as much scary since I'm playing while it's day. I STRONGLY recommand playing this at night in the dark. In fact, I've stoped playing after about an hour and half to resume play when the sun's down :P

You are absolutely right. Playing this game in sunlight with external noises etc. is like watching a horror movie with the sound turned down.

cmf0106
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Same, grab some headphones as well.

Zidz
09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Ive played it for an hour and a half.. cant continue without a break.. its so god damn scary :) LOVE IT!

varsel01
09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Now i've read all your comments and it seems like you really thinks this game is scary as ****!!!

I'm going to buy it, right now!

Jungle_Toad
09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
My impression: Jesus Christ this game is scary! :eek:

For starters, you have no weapon. Your options are to 1. Run or 2. Hide. Of course, the evil creatures run faster than you and too much time hiding in the dark makes you lose your sanity, so you have to be a bit more crafty than that. You're going to have to turn and close doors behind you, distract your enemies, and solve puzzles while running away (which is stressful as hell, but an intense rush).

Your character willfully drugged himself with some concoction that has erased his memory because he apparently had witnessed or done some things that he did not want to ever have to think about again. The game starts with you waking up from a medicated stupor not knowing anything about who you are, where you are, or what on God's name is happening. Your only clues are notes that you have left for yourself or memories that come back to you in different rooms. Your sanity is clearly questionable, so you don't know if you can even trust yourself. Without spoiling anything, the story is about you trying to figure out one in the world you were up to before you drugged yourself and got yourself in this horrible, demented and demonic mess you are currently in.

If you are not afraid of the dark, this game will make you afraid. If you spend too much time in the dark, you will start to lose your mind. When this happens, your vision blurs, the room starts to throb, sounds get fuzzy. Spend too much time in the dark and you fall to your knees in terror, barely able to move or breathe with your hearing reduced to nothing muffled sounds and a high squeel as if you were going deaf and developing tinitus. You need to stand in light to stay sane, to stay safe. This means you will be running from candle to candle trying to keep your mentally unstable character from completely losing balance The real horrible thing is that when you have to hide, you need to hide in the dark. So while youíre trying to hide and avoid being ripped limb from limb by some ungodly creature, your mental state is quickly failing. Also, you lose sanity if you look at your enemy for too long from your hiding spot. You need to wait for him to leave so you can make a break for it, but you have to keep your head tucked between your knees or you are going to freak yourself out too much to be able to run. The end result is you constantly feel like your heart is going to beat its way out of your chest. The game is bloody terrifying.

In the most frightening scene I have played so far, Iím in a flooded cellar. Something is in the water, but if I spend more than a few seconds trying to figure out what, the thing will eat me alive. There are body parts strewn around the place on floating boxes and planks of wood. If I toss them in the water, the thing will eat them and leave me along for a few seconds. So Iím tossing body parts left and right while trying to sprint and stay out of the water as much as possible, all the while trying to solve this puzzle about how to open a closed gate so I can get the hell out. I donít think Iíve ever been so freaked out by a video game before. It was like living a nightmare.

If you like scary games, you HAVE to give this one a try.

Tupeles
09-08-2010, 03:26 PM
My impression: Jesus Christ this game is scary! :eek:

For starters, you have no weapon. Your options are to 1. Run or 2. Hide. Of course, the evil creatures run faster than you and too much time hiding in the dark makes you lose your sanity, so you have to be a bit more crafty than that. You're going to have to turn and close doors behind you, distract your enemies, and solve puzzles while running away (which is stressful as hell, but an intense rush).

Your character willfully drugged himself with some concoction that has erased his memory because he apparently had witnessed or done some things that he did not want to ever have to think about again. The game starts with you waking up from a medicated stupor not knowing anything about who you are, where you are, or what on God's name is happening. Your only clues are notes that you have left for yourself or memories that come back to you in different rooms. Your sanity is clearly questionable, so you don't know if you can even trust yourself. Without spoiling anything, the story is about you trying to figure out one in the world you were up to before you drugged yourself and got yourself in this horrible, demented and demonic mess you are currently in.

If you are not afraid of the dark, this game will make you afraid. If you spend too much time in the dark, you will start to lose your mind. When this happens, your vision blurs, the room starts to throb, sounds get fuzzy. Spend too much time in the dark and you fall to your knees in terror, barely able to move or breathe with your hearing reduced to nothing muffled sounds and a high squeel as if you were going deaf and developing tinitus. You need to stand in light to stay sane, to stay safe. This means you will be running from candle to candle trying to keep your mentally unstable character from completely losing balance The real horrible thing is that when you have to hide, you need to hide in the dark. So while youíre trying to hide and avoid being ripped limb from limb by some ungodly creature, your mental state is quickly failing. Also, you lose sanity if you look at your enemy for too long from your hiding spot. You need to wait for him to leave so you can make a break for it, but you have to keep your head tucked between your knees or you are going to freak yourself out too much to be able to run. The end result is you constantly feel like your heart is going to beat its way out of your chest. The game is bloody terrifying.

In the most frightening scene I have played so far, Iím in a flooded cellar. Something is in the water, but if I spend more than a few seconds trying to figure out what, the thing will eat me alive. There are body parts strewn around the place on floating boxes and planks of wood. If I toss them in the water, the thing will eat them and leave me along for a few seconds. So Iím tossing body parts left and right while trying to sprint and stay out of the water as much as possible, all the while trying to solve this puzzle about how to open a closed gate so I can get the hell out. I donít think Iíve ever been so freaked out by a video game before. It was like living a nightmare.

If you like scary games, you HAVE to give this one a try.
Have you been in Storage Cellar yet...

morons_update
09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I got the key to the wine cellar, then all of a sudden something breaks threw the door. I ran to the closet and shut it close i stood there for a good 10 minutes wondering if it was gone.

pretty much done for the day after that... the game can get so overwhelming at times :(
i love the releave puzzles give after the smooth music plays, and the flashbacks you get from your past really help calm the mood down lol.

xX_Renegade_Xx
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Have you been in Storage Cellar yet...

Yes I've just got there, omg, too much time for a break I think :eek:

Rumina
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Are we talking about the wine cellar? Or is there a different storage cellar? Because that wine cellar was horrible. I almost had a heart attack at age 24.

xX_Renegade_Xx
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Are we talking about the wine cellar?

No, I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't played yet.

elsimpsinos
09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
oh god the food storage place :<

nizzie
09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Are we talking about the wine cellar? Or is there a different storage cellar? Because that wine cellar was horrible. I almost had a heart attack at age 24.

Wine cellar was nothing compared to storage. Enjoy. :D

Dreaming
09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I got the key to the wine cellar, then all of a sudden something breaks threw the door. I ran to the closet and shut it close i stood there for a good 10 minutes wondering if it was gone.

pretty much done for the day after that... the game can get so overwhelming at times :(
i love the releave puzzles give after the smooth music plays, and the flashbacks you get from your past really help calm the mood down lol.

hahaha same, I stood in the closet for ages

well, I'm out of the closet now (badum tsch) and can't play anymore tonight, just too wired / high on feardrenaline.

Rumina
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I hid in that closet as well...

I was so relieved when nothing was actually there

Brax1411
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
First closet I found, right at the start, I hid in it. Just to make sure that it was possible to hide in it.

I don't think a game has ever made me feel so alone...I kinda miss Clarence.

"Monkeeey..."

fuinelen
09-08-2010, 07:05 PM

You mean like the really nice cozy audio flashbacks you get in the wine cellar? yeah .. definitely calming the mood ;)