PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] For us who have finished this. Let's discuss![SPOILER]

den rare
09-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Now. I don't know how many have finished the game by now, probably quite alot. But now, as i understand, you replay your memories as you are haunted by "the shadow". And when you finally get to the end, alexander escapes and the shadow catches onto you. You hear and feel the pain of your tortured victims and die.

Now, i was hoping to be able to brace that teleport and enter another world ala Penumbra Black Plague and beat alexander is some otherworldy duel but no, i have to accept that i failed to catch alexander and die for my sins.

How about you guys? Satisfied with the ending? hated it?

I found the ending interesting. As expected from penumbra, i was bracing for a messed up ending.

What dissapointed me is that, when i cut off the head og Agrippe and carried him with me. He never said a word. Did i kill him because the potion didn't work? I was not able to throw his head into the gate either even though he asked me to do it. He was such a friendly character.

The game went from exciting, to mindblowing (All the torture man, the devices, the information, the flashbacks) to Insane! Loved the chemistry bench puzzles, really interactive and nicely done. Horrifying sounds when chased (Admit it, you were pumped when running from the water demon)

So how do you feel about this game when you finished it? There was some information that was confusing, such as the loading screen notes. Which person was this? Alexander?

All endings in one video if you'd like to watch it instead of replaying it yourself (I highly recomend doing the latter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_niCjMgz-Sw

N3oN667
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I killed Alexander, and Daniel was "Forgiven for killing that terrible terrible man" And the ending was just him walking to a large bright light.

McPaper
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I very much enjoyed my ending. I didn't understand the story fully but I was left satisfied. I did want to help out Agripa so I did end up taking his head. If I recall he wanted to be taken into the portal???

Regardless, I toppled the pillars and was satisfied to have Daniel walk out of the castle alive.

I assume if you wait for the portal to open Daniel dies.. ?

SlaveDeMorto
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I liked ending when you kill Alex, as long as you stay alife. And "good" ending with you walking thrue some strange place after killing Alex and dieing at the same time is...well strange :D Yet it might be an Amnesia 2, huh? :D

Looks like game has 3 endings.

1st - You do nothing and die
2nd - You push pillars and enjoy a happy end
3rd - You use a head(of previous orb carier that you have met) on the portal at the last moment... and you will see a strange ending

den rare
09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I very much enjoyed my ending. I didn't understand the story fully but I was left satisfied. I did want to help out Agripa so I did end up taking his head. If I recall he wanted to be taken into the portal???

Regardless, I toppled the pillars and was satisfied to have Daniel walk out of the castle alive.

I assume if you wait for the portal to open Daniel dies.. ?

I tried to push the pillars. But all i got was a slight buzz sound. Nothing happened.

I have my lamp, hammer and nail and the head with me. How do you push the pillars over? I clicked a hundred times for sure i was desperate at that moment :eek:

edit:
nevermind i figured it out.

Xyphious
09-09-2010, 02:26 PM
The bad ending seems a bit lacking, i get that it was his previous victims coming back for vengeance and the shadow consuming him (thats what i got from it anyway) but i felt it was poorly executed.

Personally i think the destroy the pillars ending was the best although saying that why does him killing one man who was trying to transcend his earthly being (albeit a very evil man) suddenly redeem his crimes of killing and torturing many innocents?

Reading that back i sound like a real pedant, i did really enjoy the game and felt the story was also pretty strong. Just ended on a fart rather than a bang

Psychos
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Alexander is a "man" from another dimenson banished here somewhat "evilly" by people on the other side who Agrippa is affiliated with. From Daniel's point of view, without any knowledge of why Alexander is banished or who Agrippa really is he cant really tell who is "evil". Alexander is evil by this worlds standards by methods of torture and murder, but he being from another realm would probably not care about the trivial humans and as such only cares to get back with his partner on the other side.

Perhaps the evil one is agrippa for siding with those who banished alexander in the first place, then helping him would be the evil option. Or saving yourself by knocking over the pillars is the evil option because it is fuelled by selfishness and revenge. Or perhaps Alexander is evil, and letting him back into his realm, rewarding his crimes is evil.

I'd say the endings are vague at best. Or maybe I'm confusing things because I just completed the game and haven't absorbed it all yet.

greenpotal
09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Personally i think the destroy the pillars ending was the best although saying that why does him killing one man who was trying to transcend his earthly being (albeit a very evil man) suddenly redeem his crimes of killing and torturing many innocents?

Daniel is trying to convince himself that he's atoned for his sins, whether or not it's true. He probably believes it. You don't have to.

Emox
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I helped Agrippa and got that weird ending, than i toppled the pillars for some reason that one seemed more satisfying than other ending... I wonder if i can help Agrippa and still topple the pillars?.

razmatazzz
09-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi,

I really like ends like this. Somehow a metaphor that the world is not only black and white. You have to make a decision and so I did...

Amnesia is a great game. I'm not a hardcore player and a little bit oldschool (Monkey Island is one of my favorites) and so I really loved playing Amnesia. A game without real fights, great atmosphere and thrill. Gave me a shiver more than once...

Regards, raz

Ultima V|RUZ
09-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Frankly, the endings sucked big time, but the gameplay TO the ending was excellent.

agleeD
09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
yeah, I absolutely hated the endings as well. they basically don't tell you anything about alexander, or weyher or agrippa, or YOU for that matter. we only know that alexander is pretty old and probably keeps himself alive in our world by somehow extracting the life power of others. also, who the ♥♥♥♥ were these humanoids walking around? I was hoping they'd get explained somehow.

Paddles
09-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Just finished the game.

It was good all the way to the end i've only seen the "Good Ending" Walking out of the door into the light.

Apart from that i have to say i was spooked almost all the way through the game those damn Zombies always chasing me even though i'm hiding in the dark.

The Gameplay is amazing, The Story is excellent, and the running and cowering in a corner instead of shooting everything in your path makes the game so much more spookier.

The Puzzles had me really confused at points of the game, they were EXCELLENTLY planned and EXCELLENTLY Created, to give even the best puzzle working minds a strain is good quality gameplay.

I found the game A++ Style and i would recommend anyone who likes horror to Buy this game.

den rare
09-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Frankly, the endings sucked big time, but the gameplay TO the ending was excellent.

Was it the bad ending? I agree that it was the worst ending. But also, the worst executed ending.

I found the good ending fair enough. The special ending was... hinting to a new expansion to put it that way.

I really loved the chemistry benches :D

Aetius
09-10-2010, 05:57 AM
You can replay the final scene again and again by the way. After you finish the game, just click 'continue story' when you get back to the menu screen. I just did them all in the order: Agrippa ending, walk out of castle ending, do nothing ending.

Personally, i think the 'true' ending is the 'walk out of castle' ending as it seems to be the longest ending and has a personal review by Daniel of his tribulations for his wickedness. It ties up the events of the game more than the other endings.

Personally, i preferred the Penumbra series (Overture and Black Plague). I still liked Amnesia but i really felt more absorbed in the Penumbra story and atmosphere - the abandoned cave setting and empty rooms full of electronics i found a lot more creepy than a castle from which i could see outside and also could have potentially escaped from many times. In Penumbra there was no escape (even when outside there was just endless lands of snow, which is hardly safe to flee into). It was claustrophobic and had a variety of natural cave area and man made rooms and structures.

Penumbra scared me 100% and kept me thinking over the events in the game long after i finished. Amnesia, i literally finished 20 minutes ago and the only parts which really scared me was being chased by zombies, the water monster and running from the dark force following Daniel. Also the puzzles in Penumbra were much better i think. Nothing will beat the ending of Overture for me. That was just epically scary (avoiding the zombies near the end of Black Plague was also very scary).

den rare
09-10-2010, 06:50 AM
You can replay the final scene again and again by the way. After you finish the game, just click 'continue story' when you get back to the menu screen. I just did them all in the order: Agrippa ending, walk out of castle ending, do nothing ending.

Personally, i think the 'true' ending is the 'walk out of castle' ending as it seems to be the longest ending and has a personal review by Daniel of his tribulations for his wickedness. It ties up the events of the game more than the other endings.

Personally, i preferred the Penumbra series (Overture and Black Plague). I still liked Amnesia but i really felt more absorbed in the Penumbra story and atmosphere - the abandoned cave setting and empty rooms full of electronics i found a lot more creepy than a castle from which i could see outside and also could have potentially escaped from many times. In Penumbra there was no escape (even when outside there was just endless lands of snow, which is hardly safe to flee into). It was claustrophobic and had a variety of natural cave area and man made rooms and structures.

Penumbra scared me 100% and kept me thinking over the events in the game long after i finished. Amnesia, i literally finished 20 minutes ago and the only parts which really scared me was being chased by zombies, the water monster and running from the dark force following Daniel. Also the puzzles in Penumbra were much better i think. Nothing will beat the ending of Overture for me. That was just epically scary (avoiding the zombies near the end of Black Plague was also very scary).

I couldn't agree more! I too found Penumbra alot more scarier and the environment there is soo much more creepier than a castle. Sure you had the shadow corrupting outside the castle. But still, being underground with alot of dated equipment and long emtpy hallways with NO escape was alot scarier.

I have only finished Black Plague, the two other penumbra games i haven't dared to finished. I tried to complete them but it was just too scary. Amnesia was fun to play and very exciting! A bit too much torture for my part but it was enjoyable.

What scared the crap out of me was the water demon chase AND that torture closet with the spikes. "That's an odd looking closet. How about i open it..." :eek:

xX_Renegade_Xx
09-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I've also just completed the game and I killed Alexander so got to see the good ending, although I did replay the others just to see what they were like.

The beginning of the story tells us that Daniel must kill Alexander and as that was what I eventually did, the game finished as it should have for me. The ending was something that I'd expect after doing what I set out to do.

I enjoyed the game, from the terrifying atmosphere to the frustration of not able to solve a puzzle and then the exhilaration when I'd finally seen what I was supposed to do and could progress a little further.

It was the sheer terror of not knowing what was around the next corner or waiting behind the next door that provided the enjoyment/shock for me.

Great game and thoroughly enjoyable.

lejjo
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
There is another ending. It's not a nice one. It happened to me and I thought, ♥♥♥♥ what is this!!!

When I got locked in the cell after the bad guys killed me, I couldn't find the way out first. So I died in the cell and the game ended. I thought this can not be!! :confused:

I loaded a saved game and made out of the cell and finally made it to the end. :)

Rumina
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
So you can die in the cell? Is it when the wall collapses? I scrambled through the bars and the cell wall collapsed behind me so I wasn't sure if that's supposed to happen then or I narrowly escaped death.

Mixmaster2k5
09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
yeah, I absolutely hated the endings as well. they basically don't tell you anything about alexander, or weyher or agrippa, or YOU for that matter. we only know that alexander is pretty old and probably keeps himself alive in our world by somehow extracting the life power of others. also, who the ♥♥♥♥ were these humanoids walking around? I was hoping they'd get explained somehow.

If you destroy the pillars slowly one after the other, Alexander will try to talk you out of it and tell you a few things about himself. But I agree, could have been much better.

Astax
09-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Hmm i have too many open questions at the end but the happy end and the helping agripa ending were the best.

first i thought i should let alexander go, but then he said he would kill me o_O so i threw the head into the portal ;)

i loved to decide how it ends

lejjo
09-10-2010, 05:28 PM
So you can die in the cell? Is it when the wall collapses? I scrambled through the bars and the cell wall collapsed behind me so I wasn't sure if that's supposed to happen then or I narrowly escaped death.

No it's not because the wall collapses. It's that red organism that you see every where, that kills you if you stay to long. The same that you see at the end of the game.

Paddles
09-10-2010, 06:18 PM
To be honest the cell was one of the hardest puzzles for me to figure out, i almost died before i realised the hole in the wall...

Other than that i was raging at the fact the door wouldn't open and that red crap kept hitting me.

BTW does anyone know what that Cell bar you get off does? or what it can be used for?

lejjo
09-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I used it to get the key out of the pipe.

Paddles
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow really?

There's 2 different ways to get the key then I used the water from the well to get the key.

PeeWee1477
09-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I used the bar to break open the loose stones in the cell....are you saying that it's possible to break them without it?

lejjo
09-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I used the bar to break open the loose stones in the cell....are you saying that it's possible to break them without it?

Don't know. I didn't go out that way. I went through gap after the bar was gone.

HDMika
09-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Okay now I, too, have completed the game!

Damn it was good.

The puzzles were great, very logical and required very little backtracking. There could have been more puzzles but I'm ok with the amount there currently is.

There could have been more enemies, since you learn the pattern how to avoid them very fast. Still, those creatures were scary as hell :D

Story was ok, not an masterpiece but had the lovecraftian feeling in it. I liked how the story developed and how you were revealed the things via flashbacks and notes.

Might write a longer review later with details but that's it for now, I loved it. Hopefully Frictional Games makes a lot of money and continues producing more games.

Here is one question regarding the game:

What were those grunts? Were they Alexander's servants (they captured you and took you into cell) or were they Guardian of the Orb's units?

It took me total of ~7 hours to complete the game. It was a lot of fun and got me scared many times.

Didn't expect the things that followed after I lit the fire beneath the metal cow XD

rwfry
09-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I loved how the game made me grow to hate the character I'm playing towards the end.

Oh, and @HDMika, I believe they were servants. In one note it said that he had to "make" more of them, I believe.

Shadow_Man_PW
09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah, they were servants. You can see in the sewers that the Shadow has killed one of them. Therefor they are different to the shadow. Also, Alexander starts to speak to you near the end and you can also hear him speaking to his servants. Saying things like "What do you mean he got away?" and, I believe, telling them your location from time to time, but I could have hallucinated that.

Cyclos
09-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought the developers were a little lazy with the puzzles. None of them were particularly challenging, and almost half of them required you to smash something with a rock, which seems pretty lazy to me. Every time I would get stuck I would immediately start looking for a conveniently placed pile of rocks and 5 times out of 10 I would find one and use it to solve the puzzle.

This is really my only gripe with the game though. I thought everything else was excellent.

Rumina
09-11-2010, 02:09 PM
There wasn't that many puzzles that could be solved by smashing something with an object. There were the 2 bridges and the window... I don't know if you can really count jamming the gears. I may be forgetting a couple.

I considered everything excellent except for the small variety of encounters. Frictional is absolutely amazing at what it does but after half the game as I kept running into the same creature it stopped really instilling any sense of fear. The chase sections were a nice change up. Other then that no complaints here.

iTimmeh
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I chucked Agrippa's head into the portal then went to youtube to check the other endings. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the two 'good' endings.

Helping Agrippa and being killed by the shadow along with Alexander, then found by Weyer seems the way to absolution; you give up your life to atone for the blood on your hands and show some selflessness by helping someone else, but I found it short and a little unsatisfying.

On the other hand you can see your revenge-driven quest through to its conclusion, trapping Agrippa and killing Alexander. This seems rather selfish and shows Daniel as more interested in saving his own skin and blaming his crimes on Alexander than accepting responsibility. Despite this the end shows Daniel walking away a free man, something most would consider the best ending.

Graylander
09-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Some guy mentioned events that follow lighting the metal cow. Are they just the sound effects of screaming and the cow blowing steam, or is there something more I missed?

Paddles
09-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Well when i light up the fire underneath it it was just the sound effects.

But i recall getting ♥♥♥♥ scared outa me when i went into the Iron Maiden room damn that was spooky.

MattHenn1234
09-12-2010, 03:15 AM
My only criticism would be a lack of variety in enemies. I was very quickly not afraid of encountering the shuffling zombie dude or the thing in the water.

iTimmeh
09-12-2010, 03:53 AM
My only criticism would be a lack of variety in enemies. I was very quickly not afraid of encountering the shuffling zombie dude or the thing in the water.

Losing the fear of encountering the monsters is problematic, but I don't think having more is the solution. Knowing you are powerless to stop the monsters chasing you, and their presence throughout the game is part of what makes them scary. If different monsters kept popping up in each section it would be less effective.

The invisible water beast really set me on edge at first, but after a while avoiding it became trivial and that's where the problem lies. If it had been deadlier and faster, with more opportunity to attack in the sewer section I wouldn't have sneered at it and continued unphased.

bodo635
09-12-2010, 04:03 AM
The story was rather disappointing. I hoped for aliens or something "realistic", but I got occultism, voodoo, torture, biological energies and metaphysics of other dimensions. The freezing mystery that lingered with me from the very beginning starts to vaporate near the end and gets boring, as you discover there is no solid explanation of facts, only pseudo-science magical alchemy.

fenrirtokara
09-12-2010, 06:40 AM
The story was rather disappointing. I hoped for aliens or something "realistic", but I got occultism, voodoo, torture, biological energies and metaphysics of other dimensions. The freezing mystery that lingered with me from the very beginning starts to vaporate near the end and gets boring, as you discover there is no solid explanation of facts, only pseudo-science magical alchemy.

lol, aliens.

thePyro_13
09-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Would it have really changed that much if it was an alien portal and the orb were alien tech?

It's perfectly realistic within the confines of the games narrative. It has been established that this kind of thing is possible with the orbs. Just calling it alien or science reveals as much fact as calling it voodoo or pagan. Only difference is popular culture has made you desensitised to the 'alien' or 'science' explanation.

In other news:
Has Frictional stated whether they will continue with amnesia and tell us more about the orbs and this other dimension. Or is amnesia stand alone?

Psychos
09-12-2010, 07:57 AM
lol, aliens.

You laugh at the word alien but lovecraft's stories deal with aliens often. THe old ones and the outer gods are essentially alien entities, just because they do not conform to the typical ufo,invading little green men sterotype, the concept isn't totally absurd. Though I'd admit using aliens in such a blasť fashion probably wouldn't have done much good

I did find it odd that the "shadow" and the orb weren't explored as much as say Alexander was as a character which we did by exploring his castle. Odd because they played a major role in the story and game, but I suppose it just adds to the "mystery", even though the orb was very nicely described and given the allusion of being otherworldly (or most likely from another dimension), they didn't really do much else with them.

MattHenn1234
09-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Losing the fear of encountering the monsters is problematic, but I don't think having more is the solution. Knowing you are powerless to stop the monsters chasing you, and their presence throughout the game is part of what makes them scary. If different monsters kept popping up in each section it would be less effective.

The invisible water beast really set me on edge at first, but after a while avoiding it became trivial and that's where the problem lies. If it had been deadlier and faster, with more opportunity to attack in the sewer section I wouldn't have sneered at it and continued unphased.

I'm going to have to disagree that it would be less effective, always having the chance of running into a completely unknown creature for which you have no knowledge of how to react to would have really kept me on edge. That terror that I felt the first few times I encountered the enemies in Amnesia, I wanted that back after so quickly losing it.

marcinbinczyk
09-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I loved how the game made me grow to hate the character I'm playing towards the end.

Me too. By the end of the game I really wished that he would die somehow :p

JK_DC
09-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah that makes the story suck when you don't like the character you're playing. I grew to not liking the game much after the half way point. I died twice the whole game so the story was the only thing that was keeping me playing. In that regard I think the Penumbra games are a bit better.

JinseiZetsumei
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Ending 1: Forgiveness, that seems to be the theme here to me. It would seem to me that the character forgives Alexander and decides to face the shadow, as he once told Alexander he would do. Of course you might have accidentally gotten that ending because you couldn't figure out how to break the pillars or when to throw the head in, but it seems to me that in the Roll Playing sense, as well as Alexanders last words as you die, implies that you just forgive him and choose to be taken by the shadow.

Ending 2: Revenge, I think this is the theme of the 2nd ending. It is not just the characters revenge, but revenge for all the people sacrificed in Alexanders quest to return home. The shadow was warded off by sacrifices of blood on its way to get to the orb, well if the trail of the orb goes the way it was explained by Alexander in a flash back, than after Daniel the shadow would have gone for the next step in the path Alexander. Well by killing Alexander, Daniel skips to the end and what I assume, satisfies the shadow and it retreats with the Orb like it did with Agripa, which he said it chose to spare him and take the orb back with out killing him. So that is why I think Daniel is able to leave with out the shadow following him.

Ending 3: Atonement, this is the theme I feel here. Daniel decides to save his new found friend rather than take his revenge on the spot. Doing this leads to a selfless like act in which Daniel offers not only himself, but Alexander as atonement for their 'sins'. Because of this act it seems Daniel is saved by the one he saved and his friend and possibly transcended into the very place Alexander was trying to go, a place that according to both Agripa and Alexander was one great place that was far beyond the earthly bounds.

This is the way I see it, I also feel it important to mention that through out the entire game Alexander keeps calling Daniel friend, his concept of good and evil seems to be absent, and he holds no grudge against Daniel, maybe because he is not tainted by the human emotions that are so primitive that it drives Daniel to blame Alexander for his acts. At least that is perspective on it.

tl;dr: .............. the shadow just got you.

vittau
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, the game was awesome. It really is one of the creepiest games I've ever played.

My only serious criticism is the lack of creative enemy encounters. There's only one mandatory "hide in the closet" situation. There could be more stuff like:
- prepare a trap for a monster (if you fail it kills you)
- having to crouch on the water to hide (careful not to drown)
- This encounter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHPwAvrc_U) should've been in the game
- hide under a bed

You know, stuff like that, to really give you the feeling that you're outsmarting the enemies, and not just hiding in a dark corner to escape some dumb enemies.;)

hornwulf
09-15-2010, 07:48 PM
@Jinsei....

whoa whoa whoa...multiple endings?

I suppose I should have expected that, but rats! I just started knocking pillars over in the final room before the old SOB could finish his soliloquy. Long as we're in a spoiler thread...how do the other, non-pillar tipping endings work?

My assumption was that if I stood around too long listening to Alexander speak, he'd somehow zap me with some ethereal lightning bolt or he'd sick the the zombies on me to keep me from interfering with his plans.

Also on the Rock Paper Shotgun website there was a post which discussed the behind-the-scenes sound effects made in the game and one of the sentences tantalizingly read as "this deep bass noise which the *final* boss makes..." or something to that effect. I think knowing that beforehand made me think I had to move my ♥♥♥♥ or face the consequences when I finally did reach Alexander.

pixelante15
09-15-2010, 07:53 PM
@Jinsei....

whoa whoa whoa...multiple endings?

I suppose I should have expected that, but rats! I just started knocking pillars over in the final room before the old SOB could finish his soliloquy. Long as we're in a spoiler thread...how do the other, non-pillar tipping endings work?

My assumption was that if I stood around too long listening to Alexander speak, he'd somehow zap me with some ethereal lightning bolt or he'd sick the the zombies on me to keep me from interfering with his plans.

Also on the Rock Paper Shotgun website there was a post which discussed the behind-the-scenes sound effects made in the game and one of the sentences tantalizingly read as "this deep bass noise which the *final* boss makes..." or something to that effect. I think knowing that beforehand made me think I had to move my ♥♥♥♥ or face the consequences when I finally did reach Alexander.

The other two endings are accessed by either:
A. Do nothing, letting Alexander open the portal and leave.
B: Toss Agrippa's head through the portal once it opens.

hornwulf
09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah I was actually about to amend my last post to say that I did some youtube watching of the other endings. So that's that then. I am curious though...does anyone know what the wooden crank handle was for that was still sitting in my inventory by the time the game ended? From what I remember it had no use....

pixelante15
09-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah I was actually about to amend my last post to say that I did some youtube watching of the other endings. So that's that then. I am curious though...does anyone know what the wooden crank handle was for that was still sitting in my inventory by the time the game ended? From what I remember it had no use....

That was for the control room, the room that you re-enable the bridge mechanism. If you complete the puzzle without blocking the lowering door open you need the wooden crank because the original wheel breaks off.

ErichK
09-16-2010, 11:33 AM
So what does this "shadow" that's chasing us look like? Can someone post a screenshot?

SpiritSharD
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
- This encounter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHPwAvrc_U) should've been in the game

I kinda agree with this. I'll explain;

I wouldn't want that specific encounter to be in the game. It's been used as a teaser video and most people will know how to successfully complete it as they will have watched it. FG set out to create a game that would immerse the player, so having the player reach that section and go "Hmm, I've seen this in a video. All I have to do is this, this and this" defeats the point of what the developers are trying to do. Granted, it isn't game-breaking, some people won't have seen it, and it's only a small segment of the game...but in a way it may have ruined the experience for some people, mainly because there's no threat.

HOWEVER, the game-play should have been kept in. Effectively, the only tactic against the zombies was 'Run and Hide'. As far as I'm aware you couldn't (or didn't need to) move a table to block a door. That's what was missing; different ways to "counter" the enemy. Something as simple as being able to use a key to lock the door would have been appreciated. The 'Run and Hide' technique was also a major element in Penumbra, so I was hoping for something a little different.

All-in-all though, the game is great. :D

Freeman45
09-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Didn't expect the things that followed after I lit the fire beneath the metal cow XD

Ahhh now you got me curious!

What happens when you light a fire under that cow? I didn't even try doing that.

den rare
09-17-2010, 01:16 AM
So what does this "shadow" that's chasing us look like? Can someone post a screenshot?

The shadow is some kinda fleshy growth that laggs behind you. You may run around in an area for a while, but after some time it will catch up to you leaving fleshy spots and carpets all around. Sometimes they will spike and damage you. It also has an distinctive sound when it appears ;)

iTimmeh
09-17-2010, 04:04 AM
I kinda agree with this. I'll explain;

I wouldn't want that specific encounter to be in the game. It's been used as a teaser video and most people will know how to successfully complete it as they will have watched it. FG set out to create a game that would immerse the player, so having the player reach that section and go "Hmm, I've seen this in a video. All I have to do is this, this and this" defeats the point of what the developers are trying to do. Granted, it isn't game-breaking, some people won't have seen it, and it's only a small segment of the game...but in a way it may have ruined the experience for some people, mainly because there's no threat.

HOWEVER, the game-play should have been kept in. Effectively, the only tactic against the zombies was 'Run and Hide'. As far as I'm aware you couldn't (or didn't need to) move a table to block a door. That's what was missing; different ways to "counter" the enemy. Something as simple as being able to use a key to lock the door would have been appreciated. The 'Run and Hide' technique was also a major element in Penumbra, so I was hoping for something a little different.

All-in-all though, the game is great. :D

When you close the doors the enemy smashes through them, so locking it wouldn't have helped. Being totally defenseless against your pursuers is part of the game, which is precisely why you can't 'counter' or block them.

I do think the run and hide gameplay could have been expanded on a little though, with actions like blocking doors to buy an extra couple of seconds and more persistent, intelligent AI, which was a bit too easy to outwit.

Mouseraider
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't know why but I just have to share this, the scariest moment for me was right after you get out of your prison cell. I have no idea what the monster was, but I looked behind me once and then I started to run.

The entire chase was a really scary moment, especially when you reach the door where you have to move stuff to get through.

The white glow on monsters was weird, it somehow made them less scary.

I would like persistant monsters instead of them just spawning, I ran into one just as it spawned and I also watched one despawn, for me it utterly killd the immersion.

Also, when you realise that the game playes a special music track once there is a monster around it really ruins a major part of the scary element in the game.

It would have been nice if all the sounds you heard were a potential threat to you, or perhaps they should remove that special music when a monster is around (that way you wouldnt know when it despawned), and slightly reduce the growls that monsters make, so that there could be a chance that you might not hear it each time.

Monsters always smash a closed door, it would be nice if they just openend them instead. It would make barring a door so much more meaningful, vittau posted a link for a good monster encounter.

I somewhat have my doubts that a monster (dead human, no?) can smash their way through such old doors that fast, they were made of solid oak afterall. I think it would make the monster encounters more interesting if they just attempted to push the door open.

In the beginning of them game I often prepared stuff so that I was ready to block the door just in case.

Mouseraider
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
About the prison, I broke loose one of the bars, grabbed the bed and climbed out the hole. When I entered the cell just next to the one your in I realised the hole and was pondering how it got there.

I firmly believe that you are meant to use the bar to break the wall open and walk out since I have found no other need for that item.

HDMika
09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Ahhh now you got me curious!

What happens when you light a fire under that cow? I didn't even try doing that.

The hatch shuts down, you start hearing a guy screaming of pain and the cow starts doing the "mooo" sound. Just like it was explained to work. It was weird :p

Funsize
09-18-2010, 07:15 AM
I found the 4th ending after you are locked up in the cell. While in the cell, pull the bare wooden bed and push it near the broken iron bar. Jump on top of the bed, crouch, and don't do anything. Wait around 6 to 7 minutes and you'll start hearing the voices of the previously tortured prisoners. You'll eventually die and Alexander will thank you for your
death.

About the prison, I broke loose one of the bars, grabbed the bed and climbed out the hole. When I entered the cell just next to the one your in I realised the hole and was pondering how it got there.

I firmly believe that you are meant to use the bar to break the wall open and walk out since I have found no other need for that item.

You can use the bar to push the key out of the pipe too.

Echomatrix
09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Love the endings.. seemed kinda anti climatic thought, expected a little more detail in the final than just the 3 purple lights.. Where was the ending where you helped out the bad guy? would have been nice to have the option just for the heck of it.

Rocks were a nice touch, fire cool, but like thats it?? Portal was cool. needed more Epicness?

Edit: yeah you can help him out. sorry

iSpaceman
09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
I loved this game so much.
When I first started, the scare factor was so bad that I could and would only ever play in 30 minute shifts in broad daylight with minimal volume. As I got more and more into the story, I realised that this kind of gameplay wasn't working, so I played whenever I could for as long as I could with more volume and less gamma etc.

Things I didn't like so much:
-As has been said many times, I think there should have been more unique encounters, one that would have really freaked me out was if you get into a crawlspace, and a monsters arm comes flying in, but can't quite reach you. Other than that I liked most of them (albeit a bit overscripted)
-More interactive monsters (as was stated in another thread), for example, walk into a prison cell and see a grunt nom noming on a corpse, it would really increase the immersion
-I think this is just me, but I had a SERIOUS lack of oil for the majority of the game, I think that 20% top up of oil was a bit stingy, I would have preferred maybe 40%.

One thing that really scared me crapless was the Choir and the other one (can't remember the name). The torture chambers and the resonating screams really f*cked me over. Especially the saw down the middle one...-shudder-

EEs
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
tbh I was disappointed at this game.

I think it was because I played Penumbra and expected something similar but improved.

Penumbra had better atmosphere.
The dark caves, snowy landscape, no real visible escape.

Penumbra had better story.
I didn't fully like the story at the last Penumbra game, but I felt a lot more into the character. Even though I knew I couldn't escape, I really wanted to know what happen here and to my father.

Amnesia was more explaining the story. You drink the amnesia potion, then from the start to the end you just gather notes from yourself so you can know what happened. Too much was left out at the end anyway.
If you didn't drink the potion, you could just stop Alexander right away. Possible plot hole.

And of course one of the most important parts:
Gameplay

Amnesia was way too short. No real puzzles. Seriously.
The thing that held me back the most was the ceiling door, which I didn't saw exploring the dungeon for the first time.
There were no puzzle solving, just exploring and more exploring.

The only thing that Amnesia was better at was the Map editor and Custom levels.

VenomG00N3R
09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I finished the game last night and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

I'm not someone who seems to scare easily, in fact I've played some games in the past that were supposed to be scary, and I read comments from other players who said they were scared, but I was just like "meh". Games like FEAR2, Resident Evil5, Doom3, Jericho. But Amnesia ... wow, this scared me. Its the only game I played since I was really young, where I ended a session because I couldn't take it anymore ;)

The developers really understand what is scary. Those other games I mentioned, you get a big gun and kill countless demons / aliens / whatever. But if you can kill it, no reason to fear it. And the more you do that, the more confident you get. But in Amnesia, having no weapon and then having to run away and hide in the dark, listening to its breathing and footsteps getting louder, knowing its getting closer, and just hoping that the monster doesn't find me ... that was scary.

I also liked the puzzles. I'm sometimes not great at figuring them out myself, but the puzzles in this game were just right. Not so difficult or strange that I got frustrated, but also not so easy, so I had to think for a bit, and then I felt good after finally figuring it out. I only got really stuck twice and had to consult a guide for help - didn't know I could smash the window to get outside in the study and couldn't figure out how to get out of the jail.

The story and the themes of murder and torture were good too. I really got into the character of Daniel. (It helps that my real name is Daniel as well :))

I read the blog the developers posted, talking about low sales. If you guys read this, I think a big problem was about marketing, and people just not knowing that the game exists. Personally I only found out about it by chance. I was looking for a new game to keep me busy until Civ5 comes out, and I was browsing the steam store, and I saw the trailer on there. This would have been 2 days before the game was released. I literally had not heard about the game until then. Shortly after that I read a very positive review on the PC Gamer website giving it a high score (88% I think) and that, combined with the low price, convinced me to buy.

oo7_war_hammer
09-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I was dissapointed with the breakout of the cell.

Has anyone here played theif:deadly shadows?
there is a level where, if you get caught by the police, you get put in jail (you could completely miss this mission)

You had to steal a key from the gaurd ( mabey in amnesia it would be cool to theif the key of the gaurd?)

Then you had to work out the gaurd's patrol route and not get seen breaking out of rooms, and hide in the shadows, sometimes crawling forward as a gaurd passed meters from you.

Amnesia could have mimiced this, and made the level much larger as well (wouldave been way cooler)

There was another level in Theif, where you turn into a child ghost, and have to sneak past many Evil adult institution ghosts. All the Adults had patrol routes, and you had to work them out then sneak past.

I think this game couldave benifit greatly from some monsters being set a patrol and you have to duck past at the right moment, a prime example is the room with 4 bridges, if you had to wait for monster to go to opposite bridge, then sprint past unseen before he turns around to come back.:p

QuickCam7
09-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I actually appreciated the "save agrippa" ending the most. Whereas the "good" ending resulted in a no-win for Agrippa and Daniel feeling like his horrible sins were atoned, the "special" ending felt more benevolent.

Agrippa seemed like a good guy and had been through all hell obviously and probably deserved to return from whence he came. Also, the fact that Agrippa aparrently let Daniel into his "realm" or whatnot was tantamont to his seemingly benign nature.

Also, in the process you still killed Alexander who -though the game stresses the thin line between black and white- was at least more malevolent than Daniel or Agrippa and niether deserved to go home or stay on earth to reap more havok.

EEs
09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I also liked the puzzles.
Puzzles? What puzzles?

Has anyone here played theif:deadly shadows?

Damn you! that game keeps crashing for me, with no fix. I loved it extremely much, but one crash worse then the others and my save file was corrupted. Don't remind me.

necronom
09-29-2010, 04:24 AM
there are 3 different endings to amnesia,the first time i completed it i went straight for the three pedestals and killed alex, so i loaded the last save and for the second one i waited for the portal to open(which takes a long time) touched agrippa's head to it,wont work until the portals completely open,alex dies and so do you and agrippa has his friend allow you to join them on the otherside of the portal,the third is when you just stand there and let alex use the portal and you die-the third one never occurred to me until much later,just never thought of going all that way to reach him and not do anything....so the third is my least fav. ending

StaticVoidMain
09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I've gotta disagree with most people here:

1: The presence of too many puzzly-puzzles in a game like this utterly destroys the suspension of disbelieve... Look to the resident evil games for proof of this:
If you need to get the squirrel key to open the rodent door, to retrieve the emerald to place in the tigers head bust, to retrieve the templar's seal that you place in the chest of the mechanical knight statue so it drops his axe, that cuts the chain, dropping the chandelier on the crystal marmoset that reveals the lockpicks that you can use on the door to the wood shed with the sub quality lock ... etc, etc, etc things get tedious FAST.

And you really do start wondering why everything's not just locked up with HIGH quality locks, the keys to which reside on the boss-mans key-chain.
If you have to keep hauling your ♥♥♥♥ back and forth through "spooky area's" because you think you missed a puzzle piece they stop getting spooky.

Exploration, running and hiding where the name of this game and it worked for me a lot more than if it was the castle of Dr Von Puzzlestein.

2: As for nothing being explained very well, gah! look towards the material that inspired the game. It's all about unspeakable monstrosities and secrets of the universe that can drive you insane... The game mechanic even pushes you to not look at the horrors or any other weirdness (like huge clumps of red slime, Alexander's "Dorian Grey" portrait, etc). It's the "Unknown" stuff that makes it what it is.

The "fill in the gaps yourself" aspect of the games story really drew me in. Joining the dots between Daniels past (as you could read about during the loading screens, etc) and the nightmare manifestations or how easily he fell into the abyss while at Brenenberg, was intriguing.

It they got to the end and said:
Daniel was so easily corrupted because of: X
Alex was exiled because of: Y
The story behind Agrippa an Weyer is: Z

I wouldn't still be thinking about it all a day after I finished the game... The not knowing is making the games entertainment value linger, for me at least.

Porkus
09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Amnesia was more explaining the story. You drink the amnesia potion, then from the start to the end you just gather notes from yourself so you can know what happened. Too much was left out at the end anyway.
If you didn't drink the potion, you could just stop Alexander right away. Possible plot hole.

He couldn't stop Alexander because his mind had snapped after he murdered the young girl.

And of course one of the most important parts:
Gameplay

Amnesia was way too short.

I think someone was looking at Penumbra through rose tinted glasses. Overture and Black Plague are extremely short games, there is no way you can criticize Amnesia for being too short when it's longer than Overture and Black Plague combined.