PDA

View Full Version : Driving with assists vs without assists

Skroting
09-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I guess I won't know this until I try the game for myself, but I'll make the thread anyways.

Will driving with the assists turned on make it possible to post better laptimes than without assists?

Some might think "Of course it's faster with assists! Duh!", but I don't agree with them.

This is how I think it should be:
With assists: Easier. You'll have less trouble keeping the car on the road. It doesn't spin out as easy and it corrects under- and oversteering for you, but with the cost of speed.

Without assists: Faster. Well, at least potentially faster if you're a good driver.

I remember back in Geoff Crammond's games, if you went too quickly into a corner the assists would kick in and save you but you'd lose a lot of your speed. Whilst in Grid you'll just shoot through the corner like you're driving some crazy hover craft from another world.

I'm also eager to see how the transmission will be. In Dirt and Grid there was a clear advantage in using automatic transmission. Hopefully CM has taken this into consideration and made it - again potentially - faster if you use the manual trans.

Rwc.
09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Well from the dev diaries Ive seen they're not implementing any major customization features such as Forza 3. Basically you get to the track, decide what tyres to go with, adjust aero and other stuff of the sort. But gear ratios, nah I think their fixed.

Edit

Heres the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZeGbQ0fojo

Transmeta
09-11-2010, 03:02 AM
I doubt that whatever assists they put into the game will help you get better lap times, in fact they may hurt you. I can think back to playing Test Drive LeMans on the Dreamcast with my little brother, he used to race with all of the assists on, and they somewhat hampered him, especially the braking assist. I would constantly post faster lap times when I drove with them off.

Skroting
09-11-2010, 08:43 AM
In NFS Shift you don't gain anything from the assits either, but there you have three different Handling Modes (not counting "Casual" as it forces assists on you) where the easiest of the three makes your car stick a lot better to the road and thus allowing you to shave off a decent amount of time on your lap times.

As I recall it, Grid didn't have such an option. It only had the assists which in turn made you super fast. I hope F1 2010 is like Shift only without the Handling Modes.

AussieSausage
09-11-2010, 09:34 AM
If its like any other sim. Assists on will be abit slower, biggest one is braking. Without assists you can brake alot quicker. Ofcourse its alot harder incase your wheels lock up

enciem
09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I think your hoping for a bit much here. Is the game not more likely going to be just like Grid and Dirt 2? More than a little Arcadey (though good too).

Still, even if it is, someone will mod it with more realistic handling. Or it will have a mode like Grid that forces all the assists off.

You are right though, assists slow you down in real cars so their is a potential for faster times with them off, or at least there should be.

Skroting
09-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't really care for physics modding. In fact, I laugh of those who use so-called "RealMod" and such. "Oooh, I'm a wannabe hardcore racer so I gimp myself by turning the traction down by 40 %"

No, I want it to be equal for everyone. If someone brags about a lap time, or posts a video of a great lap, it shouldn't be necessary to ask what settings or mods he's using. I made several videos from Grid and those videos got quite a few comments from kids who claimed to have achieved better lap times by several seconds. Of course, they failed to realize that my videos was of racing without assists even though it says so in the descriptions. There is always room for improvements, but you just can't cut 5-7 seconds off a near flawless lap.

If you prefer a more authentic driving experience and you like to post videos of your racing, then you'll seem like a poor racer to the ignorant as long as the game allows for faster racing with easier settings. That's just wrong.

Tom123311
09-12-2010, 02:51 AM
I have no idea what it will be like in this game, but past experience tells me that driving without assists will give you faster lap times.

defaultNoob
09-15-2010, 12:29 AM
There is always room for improvements, but you just can't cut 5-7 seconds off a near flawless lap.

maybe you weren't pushing hard enough? I hate driving with assists, you go around a corner and the automatic gearbox decides to turn down a gear, rear flicks out and off you go. You can push alot harder with no assists and brake much later.

when you go around a corner at what speed you go around with assists on add a few more km/h or mph because traction control won't slow down your engine so you don't slide off.

Even say in my car i drive around, turn off tc and the car absolutely flies turn on tc and its boring mode.