PDA

View Full Version : Motion sickness

Torte de Lini
09-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Hello,

I have this strange physical problem everytime I play this game. I have never finished Half-Life 2 or any of the half-life series [I really want to].

However, everytime I play, I feel sick. Dizzy in the head, light-headed and my stomach feels either unbelievably empty or ready to vomit.

I don't quite understand why. I don't get sick very easily and all other Valve/Source games I play never make me feel sick and I get play for maybe 12 hours straight if I wanted to [This includes Portal or TF2].

However, when I play Half-Life or Half-Life, for instance, I can very sick, very quickly. So I can only play about 4 minutes once a day before I have to put it down and continue on tomorrow.

Is there any solution or reasoning for this? I sincerely and honestly want to play this game.

P.S: In Half-Life there's a slight aid-targeting going on that ♥♥♥♥s up my shooting [it'll auto-aim somewhere and then revert to where I am actually trying to aim, this is only in half-life 1 however].

Thanks a lot and please let me know if you have any solutions,
Torte de Lini

P.S: I've been a Quality and Assurance Tester for 3 years, so I'm not exactly or inexperienced with playing the same game for 7 to 8 hours with mild breaks :3

BiO_MaN
09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
That's sounds very unusual to me.

At first I was going to suggest you have some sort of an epilepsy, but then I read that you are used to playing a lot of games for a lot of time and that went out the window.

Anyway, this may help understand it better:
http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/vgmosick.htm

You have the exact same symptoms of motion sickness as they are described there.

xerog_0
09-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Huh - that is very strange. Portal in particular I would think would make you motion sick if HL1 or 2 did. This may sound odd, but have you checked the framerate on the game? A particularly low or high framerate might throw off your perception. If you're using vsync, are you using a 120 Hz monitor? They're extremely uncommon, but they do exist. You might consider locking it to 60 Hz if that's the case (I don't have any particular support for that idea, but it might be worth a shot). Also, are you running at your monitor's native resolution? If you're running at a non-native rez, the scaling might be playing tricks with your perception too.

It might help to post some specs, in particular of your monitor. Do you have another monitor you could try? Maybe even a TV (HD TVs nowadays are pretty similar to monitors)?

Torte de Lini
09-11-2010, 04:23 PM
That's sounds very unusual to me.

At first I was going to suggest you have some sort of an epilepsy, but then I read that you are used to playing a lot of games for a lot of time and that went out the window.

Anyway, this may help understand it better:
http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/vgmosick.htm

You have the exact same symptoms of motion sickness as they are described there.

I think it's the camera. I play my games with a very high-sensitivity [about 18.5 to 20], but it's also like that for tf2 and portal, which don't get me sick or even close to uncomfortable.

I don't really want to any medication, natural or not, for games, it just doesn't seem right, but I might if things are this troublesome.

Huh - that is very strange. Portal in particular I would think would make you motion sick if HL1 or 2 did. This may sound odd, but have you checked the framerate on the game? A particularly low or high framerate might throw off your perception. If you're using vsync, are you using a 120 Hz monitor? They're extremely uncommon, but they do exist. You might consider locking it to 60 Hz if that's the case (I don't have any particular support for that idea, but it might be worth a shot). Also, are you running at your monitor's native resolution? If you're running at a non-native rez, the scaling might be playing tricks with your perception too.

It might help to post some specs, in particular of your monitor. Do you have another monitor you could try? Maybe even a TV (HD TVs nowadays are pretty similar to monitors)?

Portal is entirely fine for me, I'm not sure why either. I would intentionally do near-blinding/sick things, but nothing seems to affect me. In GTA4, however, jumping from a high building falling all the way to the bottom gives me a big sensation that I am falling, losing feeling my toes and feet for a split second, but that's really nothing.

I disable Vsync in all my games and the framerate fluctuates between a steady 40-50 to the occasional 30.

This is the only monitor I have and even on the other laptops and computers, I'd still get sick.

Here is my laptop, just note that the video-card is somewhat dead and tends to overheat:

Dell XPS 1530 Laptop
Windows Vista 32-bit.
3.5 gigs of ram
8600 Nvidia GT
1400x900 (32bit) (about 15 inches or so), 60 Hz

Torte de Lini
09-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Motion sickness and field of view

Some complained that playing Half-Life 2 resulted in motion sickness and many attributed the problem to the game's low field of view, which defaults to 75 degrees instead of the more commonly used 90 degrees. While players can increase the FOV through console commands, it can take away the realism, as staring at a monitor about a foot away (the recommended distance) is 75 degrees. Additionally, when using 90 degrees, the character's face will get distorted and the levels will seem larger with the player moving through it at high speed.

Interestingly, when the player enters either of the vehicles the FOV is switched to 90 degrees, yet that is where most complained they experience motion sickness.

Valve's Bill Van Buren responded to a question on this asked by a fan on the Half-Life2.net (http://www.halflife2.net/) forums ([5] (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1007835)) with this response:

We've been rigorously playing and testing Half-Life 2, Counterstrike Source and Half-Life Source for a long time now - and we've found nothing to suggest that the FOV change is a significant factor in causing motion sickness. We have, however, put a great deal of work and attention into reducing the motion sickness that can be experienced in the vehicles in Half-Life 2. During our early playtests, many of us were experiencing motion sickness from driving the buggy and the airboat - especially the airboat. We've done a lot of work on tuning the experience to reduce any ill effects - especially looking at how we manage the players head/view in relationship to the movement of the vehicles. Interestingly, for all of the vehicle sequences we revert back to FOV 90 so that you have more peripheral vision which is helpful when moving at these faster speeds. Even so, some people still do experience some motion sickness effects from long stretches in the vehicles - personally, I find that I am most affected by the intense jarring that occurs when you slam into something in the airboat at high speed - like when you miss a jump or something.

Others attribute the motion sickness to the default refresh rate setting of 60Hz.

http://www.indopedia.org/Half_Life_2.html#Motion_sickness_and_field_of_view

What do you guys think?

xerog_0
09-11-2010, 04:34 PM

What do you guys think?

That was a pretty cool article, actually. Motion sickness is sort of a neurological thing, so everyone is going to be different. They claim that the 75-degree FOV doesn't seem to cause motion sickness, but that can only be claimed for a majority. You can't conclusively say that no one will get motion sick from a 75-degree that wouldn't get motion sick from a 90-degree FOV, so that could be your issue - especially since it doesn't seem to be related to vehicles specifically.

It might be worth a little more research - is it possible to alter the FOV in Source-games from the console?

BiO_MaN
09-11-2010, 04:46 PM

What do you guys think?

This still doesn't explain why he doesn't get motion sick from other Source games.

Torte de Lini
09-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes it would, fov desire # or something, I'd have to look it up.

stevethepocket
09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, I was gonna suggest turning off motion blur until I read the part about Portal. Because playing it with motion blur on tends to make me dizzy.

gorpie
09-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Here's the Support article about In-game Nausea or Motion Sickness (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8124-ISFL-6747).

There's also been a thread or two about it I can try to find it you need it.

aforumtotalkon1
09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Increase FOV to 90.

It will help you.

It's actually not rare, not common but it does affect a certain amount of people.

*go to options, video options, advanced, then slide the FOV (field of view) all the way to the right to 90.

Torte de Lini
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Increase FOV to 90.

It will help you.

It's actually not rare, not common but it does affect a certain amount of people.

*go to options, video options, advanced, then slide the FOV (field of view) all the way to the right to 90.

I will try this tonight for Half-Life 1

Gentle
09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
If the game offers "difficulty settings"...

Change the difficulty from the "easy/easier/easiest/normal" up a notch.

Normally "auto-aim" is included in the low end difficulty setting.

Gentle

Torte de Lini
09-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks.
How do I change the FOV in Half-Life 1? I don't believe there's a video-option for it.

Raptor Llama
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
You should untick the auto-aim in HL1 somewhere on the options menu. I'm not sure how to change HL1's FOV though.

Torte de Lini
09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Yep, I turned it off.

default_fov changes the FOV, however the default seems to be 90. At 120 I feel not as bad, but it still makes me somewhat queasy.

gestures468
09-13-2010, 04:43 AM
[QUOTE=Torte de Lini;16951591]Dell XPS 1530 Laptop
Windows Vista 32-bit.
3.5 gigs of ram
8600 Nvidia GT
1400x900 (32bit) (about 15 inches or so), 60 Hz QUOTE]

this is unrelated, but im very envious of your laptop
i have a intel D620 with onboard graphics and like 750mb of RAM

gorpie
09-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Yep, I turned it off.

default_fov changes the FOV, however the default seems to be 90. At 120 I feel not as bad, but it still makes me somewhat queasy.

You could ask in the Half-Life forum (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20). Some of them make it here but might not look at this thread? (I go both places but don't know the answer.)

Torte de Lini
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=Torte de Lini;16951591]Dell XPS 1530 Laptop
Windows Vista 32-bit.
3.5 gigs of ram
8600 Nvidia GT
1400x900 (32bit) (about 15 inches or so), 60 Hz QUOTE]

this is unrelated, but im very envious of your laptop
i have a intel D620 with onboard graphics and like 750mb of RAM

It's an Intel 2 Core Duo

You're jealous of this piece of junk? The video-card died about 3 months after I got it. Everytime I play TF2 for a few house, the video-card crashes and then recovers a second later, crashing my game anyways.

You could ask in the Half-Life forum (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20). Some of them make it here but might not look at this thread? (I go both places but don't know the answer.)

Well, I figured the problem I have is the same for either game ;x

phillipjfry6
09-13-2010, 11:32 AM
I would also recommend disabling motion blur.

gorpie
09-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Well, I figured the problem I have is the same for either game ;x

The problem may be the same, but the solution may not be.

HL2 runs on Source. HL1 does not. (Unless you're talking about Half-Life: Source. Then it's probably going to be the same solution. Unfortunately, I often forget about HL:S. :))

Torte de Lini
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Too true, I'll create a duplicate topic in HL 1 then.

Thanks.

Torrenz
09-14-2010, 07:07 AM
That's interesting. I've had a similiar problem with Borderlands, which I think has a tighter fov. The screen also rocks all the time when running, shooting and reloading, which I believe is what's making me feel ill. I turned down my mouse sensitivity to make the camera move less edgy, and that helped a little.

I've experienced slight discomfort and eye stress in HL2, but only after hours of continuous play, and it faded very quickly.

Delphinus
05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I am late replying, but I wanted to add I am also one who gets severe motion sickness when I play HL2 or any of the mods.

I have been getting motion sickness since it first come out. I usually have to take something for it twenty mins in advance if I want to play. Like a Gravol or two.

Only happens with HL2. Today I finally did some research on it, and am going to try the console tweak to change the FOV later tonight.

I'll report back.