PDA

View Full Version : The FUEL FAQ

AEon
09-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I created a FAQ for FUEL with many driving tips and an overview to the game. This should help those looking into the game and also help beginners. Advanced gamers my still find something interesting here and there though:

http://fuel.wikia.com/wiki/The_FUEL_FAQ

Hope this helps.

Vetron
09-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Good guide - some useful information and should help some people :)

There is no way to completely turn off the HUD (Heads Up Display) to take clean screenshots in the game.

You can do this with the use of the debug mode and also I'm currently writing a script for a kind of minimal hud option.. i.e. the ability to hide the map from the hud - I'll release that soon with FUEL: REFUELED.

[...]there has not been any DLC at this point in time (9/9/2010).

Ok, not official... but if you've not seen my work over at tfroc.net, then I'm developing a unofficial expansion pack to the game that does bring a ton of new stuff such as the ability to take the dragster and the hovercraft in newly created online races and more. There will be around 42 new tracks, playable offline and online :cool:

That should be released sometime later this year. I've begun setting up a ModDB entries for it -
http://www.moddb.com/games/fuel

I am aware this is way too late 'in the game' to ever become a reality, but here my personal wishlist for things that would make the game better...

I'll add your suggestions to a wishlist post over at www.tfroc.net that is slowly getting worked through.

Regarding your map key issue, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible as the map binding on a 360 pad both opens and closes the map menu. I'll try track down the control settings files and see what I can do.

AEon
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
About the HUD... yo... thanks to your other post I learned that. I am very much thinking of adding a "debug mode" page that will explicitly explain how to turn it on and what one might be able to do with it. Riding Damocles all over the place would surely be a fun thing :)... Especially on those long straight highways. (Might be a "race" your mod could add... using those long highways somehow... strange the game did not).

About the mod... I had trouble finding anything on the mod site... there is nothing to download yet, or is there?

I'd certainly mention your mod when it is out... I am sure many folks would find that interesting and fun.

Vetron
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah a debug mode page that also explains the use of Window mode tricks like on that other site would be useful for the wiki - I'm always finding people asking how to enable it.

I've actually put a download up with the pre-edited file people can just install if they want:
http://www.moddb.com/games/fuel/downloads/debug-mode-enabler

Also included is JSGME mod manager app, so they can enable/disable debug mode if they want, while being able to just drag and drop install/uninstall any mods etc.

Regarding the download for FUEL: REFUELED, I think it took a while to get approved and wasn't showing up correctly - the download is available now (V14.4).

Its downloadable on ModDB now:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fuel-refueled

Alternatively it can also be found at Strategy Informer too after it was requested: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/fuel2009/mod/37292.html

AEon
09-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Nifty will look into the mod then.

Looking at the MODDB screenshots I noticed the changed HUD... hmmm... I like the way all the "junk" is no longer intruding the map. I really would wish, at the point when I had planned to take map screenshots, for the map to use up as much of the screen as possible, plus remove all the deco black edges. But a larger map segment is probably not possible? (Just a thought, I'd probably not use it now anyway).
Note, the orange tainted background hat one advantage, it let you e.g. cut out all the 3D vehicle shots using the magic wand in a Painttool. The normal-coloured background would make that more difficult now. Might be nice if one could choose to turn on the orange background again, if that is possible (monochrome would be even more helpful).
The vehicle icons are now finally clearly visible and not obscured by the HUD... nifty. Direct access to them from the in-game archives would have really been practical for the Wiki... but that's the way it goes, I am happy with the large cut-outs now.

Note... these are just some spontaneous thoughts.

I am not really sure, but the instructions I have read indicate that turning on the debug mode will "destroy" the save game. Usually it would forfeit the achievements, but since there are none for the PC, that would not actually matter? So I wonder if turning the debug mode on/off is really that simple? I.e. a save restore would also be necessary, IMO.

AEon
09-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Some more notes after playing v14.5 of the mod... non-Extended version. I have played through everything and unlocked everything, so I am not re-playing the game.

"At each end of an A-Road (currently only 11 roads in offshore shack), you will see an indicator to start a race." http://www.moddb.com/mods/fuel-refueled/downloads/fuel-refueled-v144

I have no idea what an A-Road is supposed to be... Possibly tracks you activate using the Enter key, that would make them Challenges? And how would one know about the finished of one of the many challenges?

I noted you have to jump around via Map, then look around 360 to actually find the new Vista Points. Would these have been unlocked if you bumped into the appropriate Doppler Truck re-playing the game? Presently it is a blind trial and error thing trying to find the new Vista Points.

These Chopper Chases are supposed to be a bit "inconvenient"? I.e. you have to follow the heli, so there is not indication on the map were the destination actually is? I found that a tad annoying in the original game, because this normally forces you to play the chase more than once to find out where the destination it. But that may all be intentional.

I noted finding the destination Helipad of a Chopper Chase will not very well react to the bounding box e.g. for the Valkyrie. I hit the Bengal flame but nothing happened. Or are these distance to heli triggered, i.e. only when the chopper is close enough is the helipad trigger activated?

In the mini-map (bottom left of HUD) the various vehicles have arrow representations. I always felt, especially in races, that the AI arrows are too large, obscuring the mini-map completely. Reducing their size to 50% would help IMO.

A key to turn off the HUD, on the fly would be awesome... presently I hit "t" in devmode, cursor right then left, for the HUD to actually turn off, since it does not stay turned off.

Some of the small trees and a few of the bushes really would need to have their collision turned off. With a truck at full speed there simply is no way these could have the stopping power a massive tree could have. Probably not possible, but something I am sure quite a few folks would appreciate anyway.

A new idea I had playing the game, wondering about all those areas unseen in the normal races: Scenic Rides... paths marked with checkpoints with no time limit (well one could add one to give it a race feel) letting you experience nifty sights and interesting paths. These would probably be cross-Zone (again no idea if possible). Presently the Endurance Challenges are somewhat like Scenic Rides. But there may be potential for more.

Again, these are just some thoughts, I have no idea if any of this can even be done.

Great work... it would be nifty if all the new stuff was more "officially" accessible, i.e. the new VPs are counted etc. (sorry, they actually are under Profile, General Info, ah, and also in the Map overview per Zone, neat!), via menu. But that may not be possible. I understand that you had to work within a very limited framework.

Vetron
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Looking at the MODDB screenshots I noticed the changed HUD... hmmm... I like the way all the "junk" is no longer intruding the map. I really would wish, at the point when I had planned to take map screenshots, for the map to use up as much of the screen as possible, plus remove all the deco black edges. But a larger map segment is probably not possible? (Just a thought, I'd probably not use it now anyway).

Increasing the size of the map is not possible... yet.

Note, the orange tainted background hat one advantage, it let you e.g. cut out all the 3D vehicle shots using the magic wand in a Painttool. The normal-coloured background would make that more difficult now. Might be nice if one could choose to turn on the orange background again, if that is possible (monochrome would be even more helpful).

I should probably be more clear - I'm supplying the option to customize the menu with either your own or a present skin. If you want a classic orange tint then that will be option.

"At each end of an A-Road (currently only 11 roads in offshore shack), you will see an indicator to start a race." http://www.moddb.com/mods/fuel-refueled/downloads/fuel-refueled-v144

I have no idea what an A-Road is supposed to be... Possibly tracks you activate using the Enter key, that would make them Challenges? And how would one know about the finished of one of the many challenges?

I'm British... an A-road is what we refer to as our main roads... I didn't know what to call the widest of the 'white' (on map) american roads in the game.
There are only a few I've made of these around the Offshore Shack zone. There is no record of completing these and there is points or prizes... just a time-trial based activity you may want to do.
Not proved that popular and it takes the same amount of time as developing an actual race so I've not really pursued it much more than the few I've added as a concept demonstration.

I noted you have to jump around via Map, then look around 360 to actually find the new Vista Points. Would these have been unlocked if you bumped into the appropriate Doppler Truck re-playing the game? Presently it is a blind trial and error thing trying to find the new Vista Points.

The extra vistas are like an extra challenge to those who have completed the game... sorta like 'find the item' but if you drive in a particular direction long enough you will find one. It is supposed to be a blind trial... but if you still have a doppler-truck then you can locate them all that way.

These Chopper Chases are supposed to be a bit "inconvenient"? I.e. you have to follow the heli, so there is not indication on the map were the destination actually is? I found that a tad annoying in the original game, because this normally forces you to play the chase more than once to find out where the destination it. But that may all be intentional.

Yeah in the original game your heading blind, but with the ones I've added you can be assured the helicopter will be heading to a nearby helipad... you'll have to remember their locations before the race as they won't show up once you start the challenge - wouldn't be much of a chase if you could just drive off ahead and win.

I noted finding the destination Helipad of a Chopper Chase will not very well react to the bounding box e.g. for the Valkyrie. I hit the Bengal flame but nothing happened. Or are these distance to heli triggered, i.e. only when the chopper is close enough is the helipad trigger activated?

The is essentially an invisible finish line... which I've placed across the helipad. Something like a bike has a smaller hit-box so you may need to quickly circle if you miss it. Not much I can really do about that.

In the mini-map (bottom left of HUD) the various vehicles have arrow representations. I always felt, especially in races, that the AI arrows are too large, obscuring the mini-map completely. Reducing their size to 50% would help IMO.

I'll add it to the list of suggestions - should be possible.

A key to turn off the HUD, on the fly would be awesome... presently I hit "t" in devmode, cursor right then left, for the HUD to actually turn off, since it does not stay turned off.

I'm looking into a way to hide the hud permanently by key press - for now I've got a script that hides the map on the HUD so you can drive around with everything hidden if you wish. A temporary solution.

Some of the small trees and a few of the bushes really would need to have their collision turned off. With a truck at full speed there simply is no way these could have the stopping power a massive tree could have. Probably not possible, but something I am sure quite a few folks would appreciate anyway.

If I can identify which bush has the collision box then I'll remove it from the game and replace it with the ones that don't have it.

A new idea I had playing the game, wondering about all those areas unseen in the normal races: Scenic Rides... paths marked with checkpoints with no time limit (well one could add one to give it a race feel) letting you experience nifty sights and interesting paths. These would probably be cross-Zone (again no idea if possible). Presently the Endurance Challenges are somewhat like Scenic Rides. But there may be potential for more.

I'll look into it for a future release - I like the idea and its perfectly possible to achieve.

The next release will be out soon that does improve things - but I hope to have many more releases after that as there are still many ideas to be pursued with modding this game.:cool:

AEon
09-15-2010, 03:17 AM
First off great job... I would like to thank you for motivating me to continue playing... I spent 2 hours just riding along the highways (A-Roads) at the very SE part of the world map. Presently missing 9 VPs still...

The VP on the mountain ridge near the large lake in Dead Lady's Lake was actually a challenge. I was really surprised that that steep mountain could be scaled at all. The other clever VP was in the Redrock Bluffs (the "SE wall") cool area to explore. Some of the island VPs I had already also explored with the Trident (hovercraft)... nice sightseeing points.

"At each end of an A-Road"... well on the map I only found two "dead ends" for A-Roads and there was nothing there... hmmm... I don't seem to get how to find them. (BTW, I am actually German, to me the wide roads are highways, no idea what else to call them).

My suggestions about the Scenic Roads was a bit pompous on my part, since locating the VPs already provides some scenic rides to them. But I noted the southern-most road in the Redrock Bluffs (east to west) was quite scenic, even crossing a canyon via bridge in the west. As a suggestion. The 4-lane highways in the centre of the map (east to west), could also possibly be such a scenic route, though a tad boring, but with Damocles that could be fun, since the speed would give the player a certain kick. I used the Slipstream here, that had a certain Zen feel to it.

BTW, how do you edit anything? Hack into the code? Look into the available scripts? Or did you actually unpack the game archives?

Anyway, will be trying to find the last few VPs... should be fun :)

Vetron
09-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Most of the game files are in plain text, I just deciphered what the strings mean and edit that way (it took some time because certain strings are in french... nothing more confusing than french code scripts - especially when you don't speak french :rolleyes:) - I've got a few guides up on the tfroc.net forums and now on Mod DB too.

The game achieves have been unpacked - there is a plugin for a program called MultiEx Commander up on the FUEL moddb page. Although the achieves have been unpacked, I've never really done anything with them - there is possibly some basic encryption / compression or files that need a particular program to open them.
I'm sure the right person will figure out what to do with them - but not really my area of expertise tbh

Plugin can be found here:
http://www.moddb.com/games/fuel/downloads/multiex-commander-dpc-plugin

Oh here is a quick map showing a few of the roads I meant - http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3052/mapxc.png
(matching colored dots indicate start and end of a road... probably more than this, but couldn't remember the rest)

In the next release I have brought the number of vista points up to 190 (good luck finding all of those! :p) and some of them are placed in some great scenic places I've found :cool:

AEon
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the map... that certainly helps...

Those extra Vista Points in the next version are scaring me :-P

Alas the MultiEx Commander (mcsetup_431.exe) has two trojans in the exe according to MS Security Essentials. The plug-in format BMS, is also used by quickbms.exe that I had already installed, alas not compatible. I was primarily wanting to look into the HUD images etc.