PDA

View Full Version : When uninstalling Steam prompt BEFORE deleting steamapps folder!!!

poohbear
09-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Hello, i find it unbelievable that when uninstalling steam so i can cut and paste my steamapps folder to a new installation, Steam didnt prompt me if i wanted to delete all the local content!!! i had 230gb of games, and all gone without so much as a warning or prompt!!!! How long has Steam been out? and not 1 person suggested u prompt the user???? how could u neglect something so simple and basic all these years? unbelievable.

there's a fundamental difference between wanting to uninstall Steam and wanting to delete every game i've downloaded over the past year. Every game outsid of Steam prompts you that it'll delete everything, then prompts again to ask if you want to keep your save games/mods. Why can't you implement something so simple?

real4xor
09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
You`re acting like it`s never been suggested before... xD LoL. maybe not in the last week... but roflmaocopter.

Dunno the details about why it`s not implemented, but it`s common knowledge that all games that require steam will be removed when you remove steam itself. :/ another pop-up won`t make it fool proof.
this article in support, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526 did not make it fool proof either (note the info in the box "important"). cuz nobody reads these things these days.

It`s like complaining all your dlc is deleted when you delete a game. :/ as if you need dlc files if you don`t have the required game to run them installed.

Steam is REQUIRED for running those games. y`know, NEEDED.
Why didn`t you make a back-up of the common and steamapps folder before trying to uninstall steam?

Also, you wanted to move your steam application? you should`ve checked this : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129
It says you shouldn`t uninstall steam, unless there`s something wrong with moving the application using this method. You only had to copy Steamapps folder and steam.exe.
:/ oups?

Lighteh
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Your uninstalling steam, the games is part of steam, it requires steam, its common knowledge what will happen.

worscht
09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Your uninstalling steam, the games is part of steam, it requires steam, its common knowledge what will happen.

If Steam is required to play those games you could easily reinstall Steam later without having your whole folder deleted by Steam.

See what I did there?

A warning message shouldn't be too hard.

"DO YOU WANT TO UNINSTALL STEAM AND DELETE ALL OF YOUR GAMES?"

- Sure, don't bother me, it's common sense!!11.
- NO !! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?

When I uninstall ANY other kind of application it asks me wether to keep my user settings/files or just leaves them EVEN if the app is REQUIRED for those files to run/open.

d10sfan
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM

No not really. Almost every single somewhat professional uninstaller asks you if you want to keep your data. Look at most game uninstallers. What do they ask you? Do you want to keep your saves?

Why does steam not do that? Who knows?

How is it remotely logical for the steam uninstaller to operate in the way it does now? It should ask you if you want to delete your steamapps, not just force that upon you.

real4xor
09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
How is it remotely logical for the steam uninstaller to operate in the way it does now? It should ask you if you want to delete your steamapps, not just force that upon you.

It is remotely logical if you see steam as the main application, and the games as dlc, instead of application data... :p

But it might be true that the Steam Installer could use a small overhaul to become a little more user friendly:

Adding a change option in the installer.
To change your installation, rather than having only repair&remove.
It could replace the manual moving. Would make a ton of difference for people who don`t constantly check knowledge bases or aren`t computer "experts".

If there`s a change option, you could also use the installer to deinstall a batch of games, rather than deinstalling a bunch of games one by one. As the games are part of the steam application. (might not be usefull for everyone, but maybe for some).
Or create a verification batch (in case your computer/files got messed up).

fixing Data loss:

Backing up files should let you point to a directory, or place it outside of Steam`s folder. (as it`s not a real backup if it`s removed along with the steam application).

Or by storing the save data of the games in steam cloud or something? (that way, it`ll be redownloadable again. but it could be alot of data...)

Adding that popup that Steam deletes all games, all save games, all mods, all steam data on uninstall. Or backup could also be prompted at uninstalling Steam, so you won`t lose valuable data, like mods, savegames, and other stuff you can`t directly get back from steam.

I haven`t done anything to steam since........... ummm.... I bought a new computer a year ago. So I wonder if there`s an option yet to chose where to install steam. I don`t like the C:\program files\ thing, because I rather keep programs there..
If it`s not, custom install should also be added. it`s just better than install, then move... because... I can`t just directly install it to the right spot.

Anything else we can come up with? :P

worscht
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
And actually keeping the save data of the games would also be nice. Either by not deleting them, or storing them in a safer place.
But savegames are not application data. They're are DLC for the DLC of Steam (aka "the game"). So common sense tells me DLC of DLC also has to be deleted without asking.

There.

man-man
09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Just got bitten by this myself. Not to the tune of 230GB, I don't have that many Steam games, but still...

When you're only reinstalling because TF2 (and other games) is being a ♥♥♥♥♥ and telling you "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." over and over for no apparent reason, and you figure it might be something gone glitchy with Steam itself. That's when the "it couldn't possibly delete everything just because I reinstalled the client" assumption really kicks you in the nads.

What really hurts, is that I had backups of every game I had on disk. They were in the Steam "backups" folder, as per default. Guess what else got deleted when I removed the client :eek:

poohbear
09-15-2010, 01:57 AM
It says you shouldn`t uninstall steam, unless there`s something wrong with moving the application using this method. You only had to copy Steamapps folder and steam.exe.
:/ oups?

dude, i have 250gb in games, where exactly was i gonna copy that???? u think we all have 1tb hdds?

why are u going on about common knowledge???? it IS common for an application to ask if i want to delete everything, THAT is common, not just deleting 230gb of data and not prompting the user. That is why i assumed it was gonna do this, basing it on "common knowledge". What Steam does is NOT common.

Also, how practical is it to expect users to sift through their forums to find out what will happen when they uninstall? and how hard is this to implement sucha simple warning for those of us with 200gb+ of games ? if steam wants to be mainstream and expects users to have 100gb in games, they need to think about their users & be more user friendly. They're not thinking like a company that cares about their customers. If they expect their users to only have 1 or 2 games, then sure by all means let them keep thinking small.

leveller
09-15-2010, 03:09 AM
A warning message shouldn't be too hard.

"DO YOU WANT TO UNINSTALL STEAM AND DELETE ALL OF YOUR GAMES?"

- Sure, don't bother me, it's common sense!!11.
- NO !! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?

This is the solution ^^^^^

I never knew this problem existed until seeing this thread. I have a 750gb Steam folder ...

real4xor
09-15-2010, 03:27 AM
:/ I dunno, I was aware of this "problem" when I quit buying retail stuff. But then again, I try to inform myself before I spend money on things...

Anyway, what`s wrong with a complete overhaul of the Steam installer? There`s bound to be more stuff that should be changed.

:/ I think they`d rather fix multiple problems in 1 project, than starting a project just so there`s a pop-up in the installer, and a month later another one to add a change button to the installation so you can move Steam, and another project to back up savegames outside the steam folder, and so on....
They`re all related. (apart from the save files, I`m guessing that`s more of a Steam application issue, of where they`re stored).

Seems like tunnelvisioning on a single problem, when there`s several related ones that can be solved simultaneous. :/

leveller
09-15-2010, 04:18 AM
I think they`d rather fix multiple problems in 1 project, than starting a project just so there`s a pop-up in the installer, and a month later another one to add a change button to the installation so you can move Steam, and another project to back up savegames outside the steam folder, and so on....
They`re all related. (apart from the save files, I`m guessing that`s more of a Steam application issue, of where they`re stored).

Seems like tunnelvisioning on a single problem, when there`s several related ones that can be solved simultaneous. :/

Oddness.

Can you quote the bit where someone suggested this idea gets implemented first and above all other updates?

man-man
09-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Whilst we're suggesting changes, putting the backups folder in a place where it's not right in the deletion firing line when you uninstall would also be sensible.

That, or also asking whether to delete those.

Rather defeats the purpose of a backup if it can be deleted on a whim of the uninstaller like that. I know when I'm done redownloading I'll be putting my backups somewhere outside of the Steam folder.

Zonker
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I have the feeling this thread needs to be revived as the problem still persists. Recently I made a clean reinstall of Steam and luckily made a backup of my steamapps folder before I uninstalled Steam itself. I was rather surprised seeing the whole Steam folder just gone afterwards. No warning, no option in the uninstaller.

It's obvious Valve is even aware of how problematic such a behaviour is, see here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526) and the information given in the boxes labeled "IMPORTANT" and "WARNING". The uninstaller should either not even touch folders like steamapps or give a checkbox in the dialogue. Nothing's worse than losing dozens of hours (in the form of savegames) of gameplay to something like this.

lavacano201014
11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
dude, i have 250gb in games, where exactly was i gonna copy that???? u think we all have 1tb hdds?

If you can fit it in a drive, you can move it around. Note the word "move" here.

Next time you uninstall Steam for some unghastly reason, do this:

1) Move your steamapps folder outside of Steam's path. Your Desktop or Documents folders are good places.
2) Uninstall as normal.
3) Reinstall as normal.
4) Move your steamapps folder back to Steam.

Nightingale
01-10-2011, 01:27 AM
If you can fit it in a drive, you can move it around. Note the word "move" here.

Next time you uninstall Steam for some unghastly reason, do this:

1) Move your steamapps folder outside of Steam's path. Your Desktop or Documents folders are good places.
2) Uninstall as normal.
3) Reinstall as normal.
4) Move your steamapps folder back to Steam.

I see your point and that is a solution to those who know its going to get deleted. I thin the major issue is that there is no reason what so ever for them to delete it all and it actually makes it harder for them more server stress and more unhappy customers. If i was an idiot i would think this is common knowledge because common is only defined by the likelyhood that the general demographic knows and understands. And i can tell you if you look at how many are forum users compared with how many have accounts there is a huge difference. Even as a forum user i never saw that not because it said important but because unless it was a game or problem i wanted i never see it as i search through google not steam. Just such a stupid problem.
If any of you get ♥♥♥♥ed over try these: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid,1295-order,1-c,downloads/files.html

Hopefully if you ahven't changed much they will still be there. Try downloading and installing to a separate physical drive to minimalise loss.