PDA

View Full Version : Buying Combined Operations (Already own Operation Arrowhead)

Adante
09-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Hello everyone, I bought Operation Arrowhead a couple of days ago, but I decided that I would also like the original Arma II. However, do I need to buy thsy game now? Or is there a way to switch over to Combined Operations for 10 euros? When I look for Combined Operations on Steam, it still shows that it costs 40 euros in total, even though I already have Operation Arrowhead.

7th_Serf
09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
you need Arma 2 to go 'Combined Operations'. With Operation Arrowhead + Arma 2 you can then start your Operation Arrowhead in Combined Operations mode. Not sure of the price of Arma2 on Steam but you might be able to find a deal on it somewhere, and you can still add it to Steam and make it work.

Dwarden
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
unfortunately these two are standalone products ...

7th_Serf
09-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Sadly it seems your best bet is buy OA:Combined Arms. Doesn't seem to be that many A2 versions around out there online, though you might find the DvD version at your local gaming store at a good price. I think a lot of newcomers to Arma are picking up OA first and then discovering that they should have bought OA:CA instead...

This is one of those cases when new guys should ask around before buying to avoid confusion and disappointment.

WV2MJR
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
After playing Operation Arrowhead, why would you even want to go back to Arma 2? Operation Arrowhead has better graphics; I notice a big improvement in how the textures and vehicles are displayed.

7th_Serf
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
well with Combined Arms you get more maps, Russian gear and another SP campaign as well as more SP missions. I just ran two phases of a Combined Arms campaign on Chenarus and it was fun 'going back' there for a while. With more maps and gear you get more variety in your missions and that means more value for your buck, and they all take advantage of the improvements as well as adding the BAF stuff to the maps...(haven't seen much of that yet, but I've seen a lot of missions on Armaholic with BAF stuff).

Combined Arms also takes advantage of the improvements to the engine from OA; thermal sights, new weapons systems, new scripting. So all in all its a good value and I especially liked it that I just 'upgraded' my A2 maps to OA and was able to use them.

That being said, it is a bummer for new guys who don't immediately purchase A2 and then find out that its going to cost them $40+ to get it when OA:CA is about $10 more than plain OA. I think Steam should offer a 'upgrade' option to purchasers of OA - so that they can up it to CA for only $10...

Adante
09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
That being said, it is a bummer for new guys who don't immediately purchase A2 and then find out that its going to cost them $40+ to get it when OA:CA is about $10 more than plain OA. I think Steam should offer a 'upgrade' option to purchasers of OA - so that they can up it to CA for only $10...

I was kinda hoping there was such an option now. Anyway, I thought Operation Arrowhead réally was a Standalone, but it appears the most multiplayer based operations include Arma2 content.

But anyway, I don't really run Arma2 do I? I don't need to do anything with it? Just install it and then enter the path into Operation Arrowhead or something? Which will then load in the files from Arma2?...

7th_Serf
09-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Basically you 'teach' the steam launcher where your Arma 2 content is. It's pretty straightforward; add Arma2 to your Steam launcher (GAMES>Add a non-Steam game...) then start Arma 2 in Steam. Then exit it, and right click on Operation Arrowhead - you should see (about 4th down) Launch OA in Combined Operations.

I'm noticing more servers going 'Combined Operations' and its becoming more popular with builders because it gives you so much more stuff to work with.

Adante
09-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Another question here. Is it possible to activate the retail key on Steam?

Dwarden
09-22-2010, 04:16 AM
it's not possible

STEAM and retail keys are different and incompatible

$ik
09-29-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm lucky I informed myself before buying Arrowhead. So I got Arma II: CO + BAF for about 50€ on Steam.

With Arrowhead standalone you are missing out a lot of servers/user made missions.