PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Game crashes after I leave Taris

p0rtalthinker
09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Mmmkay so I downloaded the atioglxx.dll file so the game doesn't crash on start up. That worked fine the first time I launched it with the fix, but after that the crashing continued.

First off, before I continue, I should note that the game doesn't "crash" par sae for me. It instead minimizes and I can't maximize back into the game. It doesn't even have a "swkotor has stopped working" message or even have the game responding, and the only way to close it is to end the task through task manager.

After that I went back and read every single thread in this section pertaining to crashes. Thankfully, through some saving grace someone (can't remember who exactly but major rep for you) said that editing the three movie files biologo.bik; lecogo.bik and legal.bik with ".old" at the end of them will cause the opening movies to not play and thus not crash/minimize the game.

Okay great! I got the initial start up crash problem fixed, I customized my settings, and played through the game with no problems whatsoever. Finally I get to enjoy this absolute gem of a game I have been putting off for far too long.

Until.

*spoilers* Ok so I do all the side quests + main quest on Taris and quick save before I board the ship to take me off the planet. After the cinematic plays where Darth Malak says to continue the bombardment the game does the minimizing crash thing again. I've searched and searched everywhere for something, anything here or anywhere that pertains to crashing at this particular spot, but no luck. Please fellow fourm members out there, help me figure out a solution! I would be forever in your debt.

A few things to note:
* I tried fiddling around with the settings in the game and I noticed when I turned all my settings down (if its one particular setting I'm not sure which one) I got some different results:
1: The cinematic after Darth Malak speaking plays, with you on the ship leaving the planet and evading the destruction.
2: The cinematic is not in the center as with all the other ones before it; it's left side is off the monitor (at least in the 600X800 resolution)
3: After that I get a sound (a blurp of something) with the mouse on screen. I can move the mouse around but nothing happens. quicksaving/quickloading doesn't work, trying to hit escape and view the menu doesn't work.
4: I control-alt-delete out of the game and I see a message "swkotor has stopped responding" with the option to end the program.

* I have Windows 7 64bit with all the necessary hardware to run the gave at a silky smooth 60fps with every settings turned all the way up.

* I have an ATI card with the catalyst at the newest version (10.8b I believe).

iopuri
09-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Exactly same problem, just keep trying, i managed to get past it once, but failed afterwards and had to reload :(

p0rtalthinker
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks! Finally someone posted at least :-//

I guess I just gotta keep trying out new things until it works. Any suggestions guys of where I should get started with that?

iopuri
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I got it to work, it gets stuck on other movie clips too, but here's how you do it:

Download a .bik viewer (google it) then go to KOTOR's install directory and click on the folder "movies" look for the movie that plays on a different resolution (and which causes the game to crash) and change it's name. The movie will simply not play and you'll be able to proceed.

I recommend leaving the old name of the movie and adding something at the end, just in case you want to see that movie sometime in-game.

p0rtalthinker
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Sweet! I'll try this later tonight; with any luck I'll be back playing the game. Any idea how I can figure out which movie is not working for me? they all have such similar names except for the loading screen movies...

p0rtalthinker
09-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok I downloaded this (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm) .bik reader and loaded up some movie files. I first tried the files I had added .old to (the intro movies that minimizes the game on startup) and they played perfectly fine. All the other files though that are bink/.bik files won't play but instead have a message saying "Bink Error: the file has a corrupt header."

Am I doing something wrong or should I try another .bik reader perhaps? Thanks again btw, major rep to you :)

Nordoyle
09-17-2010, 01:39 AM
You can also try running the game in window mode before the crash happens and revert back once it is over. In order to do so go into the install directory look for a file called swkotor.ini open it with notepad and look for a line called "FullScreen=1" change the 1 to a 0 for windowed. From what I have read the cut scenes are most common problem with the game crashing.

iopuri
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok I downloaded this (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm) .bik reader and loaded up some movie files. I first tried the files I had added .old to (the intro movies that minimizes the game on startup) and they played perfectly fine. All the other files though that are bink/.bik files won't play but instead have a message saying "Bink Error: the file has a corrupt header."

Am I doing something wrong or should I try another .bik reader perhaps? Thanks again btw, major rep to you :)

I have that .bik reader too, try running a file check with steam (in the steam SWKOTOR properties tab) and try again

inkyhog
09-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm glad I found this thread, and have found a way to (if nothing else) at least allow me to continue the game.
browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor or where ever it is that you have your game installed at, and find the "swconfig" application. Opening it gives you the opportunity to run the game without movies. Since selecting this option, I have had no other issues with the game crashing. You may miss out on a couple key story videos, but they can be found online anyway.

p0rtalthinker
09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
WOHO! After the ATI update to 10.9a and a validation of files through steam it worked perfectly and went through all the cutscenes. Now I'm on Dantooine :)

JacknifeBasterd
09-18-2010, 07:54 AM
What ? No more bugs using the ATI update ?
hope it's true (and i'd not misunderstood ^^)

Galawynd
09-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I downloaded the ATI update...still doesn't work for me -_- can't leave Taris.