PDA

View Full Version : I played the Demo for Champions and it was so good...

Void(null)
09-15-2010, 09:26 PM
...that I pre-ordered Going Rogue and have been playing City of Heroes for the past month.

Really, wow what a waste of time and effort.

Its not about the money, $5, $6, $10, $20 it doesn't matter... the question with an MMO's value is not measured in how cheap it is, but on how fulfilling your investment of time is.

Champions has no real content, the character "Classes" for the most part play the same (City of Blasters!) No end game, it looks horrific on max settings and add to that Jack Emmert admitted that Cryptic dropped the ball on Champions and STO but that they were not doing to do that with Neverwinter Nights Online (Yeah right Jack.)

There are better MMO's, Better games and better ways to spend your time than Champions Online. Do yourself a favor and buy one of those instead of this train wreck for $6 on sale.

Lord Mordeth
09-15-2010, 09:36 PM
...that I pre-ordered Going Rogue and have been playing City of Heroes for the past month.

Heh, that actually almost made me laugh out loud here. :D

..the question with an MMO's value is not measured in how cheap it is, but on how fulfilling your investment of time is.

Fully agree with ya here. *nod*

..add to that Jack Emmert admitted that Cryptic dropped the ball on Champions and STO but that they were not doing to do that with Neverwinter Nights Online (Yeah right Jack.)

What?

Has he actually gone on record to admit that they messed up?

And really, Neverwinter Nights Online.. does anyone actually expect anything to come out of that, eh? I mean, looking at what Cryptic did with their past two games and all, i sure the hell don't. :cool:

Void(null)
09-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Sourced from: Euro Gamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-24-cryptic-we-need-to-improve-for-neverwinter)

Cryptic Studios boss Jack Emmert has admitted the company needs to "dramatically" improve the quality of its output for its new multiplayer RPG, Neverwinter, announced yesterday.

In a frank interview with Massively (via VG247), Emmert admitted that "nothing was polished" in the developer's last two MMOs - Champions Online and Star Trek Online - and that they contained "hundreds of hours of mediocre content".

"From our point of view, we just had to take a look at ourselves and kind of change the way we were doing things... we knew that Neverwinter had to be the highest possible quality, and we had to improve, dramatically, everything that we did," Emmert said.

"The best way to do that was to sort of change the style of gameplay so that the focus wasn't on hundreds of hours of mediocre (some would say even worse than mediocre) content, but instead create a rich story-driven multiplayer game."

Unlike Cryptic's last two games, Neverwinter won't aim for the scope of a full-blown MMO, but instead be a more "focused" multiplayer game for small groups, similar perhaps to Phantasy Star Online or Guild Wars.

"Coming into the launch of STO and Champions, I made sure we had something for everyone. Here was the problem. By following that philosophy, nothing was polished. We ended up having lots of half-done features in some quarters," Emmert said.

Emmert admitted that Cryptic had become known for its efficiency and speed rather than the quality of its games, and said he wanted to change that with Neverwinter.

"Super-fast doesn't mean super-good. And that's what the reviews said, that's what the players said. The type of game that we made before World of Warcraft... City of Heroes was great for its day, but we can't just keep repeating the same methodology over and over - we've got to make stuff that's great."

Champions Online and Star Trek Online both scored 6/10 on Eurogamer.

Cryptic's chief creative officer Bill Roper, formerly of Flagship and Blizzard North, left the studio earlier this month. His departure followed that of Star Trek Online executive producer Craig Zinkievich in July.

shanghaiedlv
09-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Emmert is giving lip-service in that article. He mentions lots of "mediocre content" and that the games "lack polish," but he doesn't give any discreet examples of what he's talking about. Even worse, he's very vague about how he plans to improve. It doesn't sound like he has any idea of how to improve quality.

Based on Cryptic's abysmal, and honestly, embarrassing track record, this is consistent with them releasing the same, low quality product again with Neverwinter. Rather than actually come to terms with what they've done and reconcile with themselves and their customers, they'd rather create scapegoats, start a completely new project rather than fix what they've already got, and believe they can move on. They've already fooled us twice; how many more times do they think they can get away with it?

It angers me that Cryptic is still in business. There are many other dev shops that have gone the way of the buffalo in this economy even after making decent products. These guys are the cockroaches of the industry; no one wants them here and yet they somehow survive.

Void(null)
09-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Cryptic are still in business because they make money at the expense of the consumer, drawing in the masses with promises of quality content in the future and then never delivering. Atari bought them out and invested in them for this very reason.

Cryptic, 2K and Activision are doing the developer equivalent of Strip Mining and yes... it is sickening.

Foojo
09-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Unlike Cryptic's last two games, Neverwinter won't aim for the scope of a full-blown MMO, but instead be a more "focused" multiplayer game for small groups...

Full-blown MMOs heh. I think even that is a dubious claim. It sounds like Jack still doesn't have a clue and is repeating what he heard was the problem because Cryptic is on so many "don't buy" lists. If anyone can bring a lesser and smaller experience to it, that would be Cryptic. Cryptic will probably use the same engine but limit the number of people in instances even more.

So what will the total damage be done by Cryptic developing Star Trek, NWN, and D&D licenses, and what could have been.

Void(null)
09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah, how Jack can call CO & STO "Full MMO's" is beyond me.

Lord Mordeth
09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Cryptic Studios boss Jack Emmert has admitted the company needs to "dramatically" improve the quality of its output for its new multiplayer RPG, Neverwinter, announced yesterday.

Hmm, never thought he'd cough out the words out officially.

In a frank interview with Massively (via VG247), Emmert admitted that "nothing was polished" in the developer's last two MMOs - Champions Online and Star Trek Online - and that they contained "hundreds of hours of mediocre content".

Less than mediocre games.. and people wonder why the games got such sucktastic reviews and crap. :p

"From our point of view, we just had to take a look at ourselves and kind of change the way we were doing things... we knew that Neverwinter had to be the highest possible quality..

Uhh, yeah.. nice words, but if Neverwinter Nights Online is anything but crap comparable to CO/STO i'll eat a hat full of <mumble, mumble>.

"Super-fast doesn't mean super-good.

Gee, no kidding?

Oh well, only time will tell how big of an failure their next game will be.

Would certainly be nice if Cryptic managed to make a good D&D/Forgotten Realms based RPG game, but knowing their track record, i really ain't holding my breath on that happening.

Yeah, how Jack can call CO & STO "Full MMO's" is beyond me.

Maybe because he thinks they actually are such?

But yeah, it's weird, especially since he said the quality downright blows in said games. :cool:

codexia
09-17-2010, 07:48 PM
This is the whole reason City of Heroes got more popular AFTER Jack left. The game went from tedious to fun in only a few months, and now after all this time the game is actually becoming something really enjoyable. If you want to hop into the super hero games I would very highly advise following Void and looking into City of Heroes or waiting for DC Universe (assuming it doesn't bomb).

darthisurus
09-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow that was very enlightening. I almost re-subbed to see how it would go but after reading this thread... no effin way. Got way too many GREAT games in my backlog I need to finish. Three of them start with BIO... Bioware's Mass Effect 2, Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins, and Bioshock :P

Kornstalx
09-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Three of them start with BIO... Bioware's Mass Effect 2, Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins, and Bioshock :P

A little off topic, but just FYI: Skip DAO and go straight to ME2.