PDA

View Full Version : Champions Online worth it?

AnimeGod
09-17-2010, 04:28 AM
i want honest answers, from people who are playing now... demo is awesome, but how does the rest of the game play?

blurrd
09-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Honestly, i thought the same as you when i first started playing, loved it, got 2 buddies to buy it too... so i went ahead and grabbed the 3 for 2 month sub special offer, then after playing for a fair while, the facade wore off and i found out how shallow it all actually is, and have cancelled and don't think i even logged in for my last month and a bit, and my buddies cancelled theres after their free 30days grace was up. so to sum up, it's an initialy fun but ultimatley shallow game with no real end game content :o

Gillos
09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
:) "To semi-quote Yahtzee: Short answer: Yes. Long answer: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!"

:) "Great game, fun missions, awesome graphics, tons of customization, great in a group or solo, well worth full price. At $6.00 or even $19.99 it is a STEAL!"

silv3rshi3ld
09-18-2010, 02:00 PM
i want honest answers, from people who are playing now... demo is awesome, but how does the rest of the game play?

To be honest with you i don't have this game. But i know peeps who have/had this game and many of them didn't played it anymore. That it one thing that i know for sure, it doenst fully represent what this game is all about... but it is noticeble.

Second, i heard that cryptic studios also had some problems. With some head developer after the medium succes of Star trek online etc.
And thats something what i really dont want to hear. Because this could be fatal for such a game.

A buch of years ago i played a MMO that was called "auto assault" A concept what i really liked. But after a while when it didnt go well with the company they shut down this game. What was a shame. I really liked it and it doesnt was a 3rd rang game.

These points did me think twice about this sale..
And my conclusion was that I didnt wanted it.

But of course everyone has another opinion and so i have mine. So find out what suits for yourself ^^

LONEWOLF45
09-18-2010, 02:24 PM
The only way this game will reach any form of popularity is to make it free to play with micro transactions. Just like Dungeons and Dragons and now Lord of the Rings. 15 bucks a month in this economy is asking for disaster.

Lord Mordeth
09-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Great game, fun missions, awesome graphics, tons of customization, great in a group or solo, well worth full price.

I grant you the customization in CO is pretty great, but the missions.. if you like doing a lot of open world hunting, ie. 'Defeat X of Y' or 'Collect Y of Z' then yes, the missions are fun.. as for grouping, why bother? Since everything can be done solo there's no real point in forming a group with other people for anything really.. and lastly, the graphics, eh.. personally, i found the game to be borderline ugly, but i've never been a fan of cel shading or whatever it's called. :p

MasiKON
09-18-2010, 07:50 PM
The game is definitely worth every cent.

The demo is quite short but you can use the same client to play a 10 days free trial (max lvl 15 and no global chat).

So if you want to play a bit more before buying, check the official CO forums for a trial code.

Champions Online Forums > Champions Online Gameplay & Feedback > Foxbat's Q&A > Need a Friend Referral Code (http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=102384&page=999)

ryou
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
id advise against it, got this game when it first came out, cancled subs a few months after, re-subbed a couple of weeks ago and cancled again as nothing had changed.
the only good thing about this game is customization in making a character.

Frywalker
10-02-2010, 02:37 AM
I got this game the day it came out and played till I reached level 40 (the level cap) which only took me about 45 days. After that, there's no endgame stuff. The missions are few and far between and unpolished. After playing Champions Online, I went and bought City of Heroes and have been playing it since :D

GSH
10-02-2010, 07:02 PM
It's not so bad and the travel powers are really fun but as previous posters pointed out, there is almost no end game content. I'm also a fan of group based gameplay but CO lacks in that department as well. The customization is fun but the fascination will wear out quickly enuff. However I see nothing wrong with buying it and playing for a month or until you get tired of it.

Mexicutioner
10-05-2010, 05:21 PM
honestly I wouldnt play this game even if it was f2p. The character customization is amazing, but thats about the only good thing about this game.

centisteed
10-17-2010, 10:53 PM

I haven't played it that long or that
often, but there are still many people
playing it online & the forums are still
active. They are building new content
for the game. However I think the game's
greatness has been side-tracked because
Cryptic has had to do damaged control for
Star Trek Online to make it better. It
has been about 10 months since STO came
out & it has improved quite a bit as well.

whateva
10-19-2010, 09:55 AM
If i didn't have a LS, i don't think even my love for things super hero would have allowed me to stay with this game. The content is there but is a little to light for my taste, but i hope the DF adventure pack helps with this.

Foojo
10-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I gave this game a try with the $6 sale, and it kept my interest for 2-3 weeks. The problem that ultimately did me in was that the game amounted to getting an AE power, and some defensive or offensive passive, using that one power to kill most things, then finish up bosses with a higher damage single target power. Rinse and repeat.

whateva
10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Just wait until they relaunch it as a F2P, you will basically get a LS minus a few things.

prime2000
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
When I got the demo i thought it was the best, but when i played through the rest of the it, it really didnt interest me.

LuisMatheusV
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
The only way this game will reach any form of popularity is to make it free to play with micro transactions. Just like Dungeons and Dragons and now Lord of the Rings. 15 bucks a month in this economy is asking for disaster.

This guy, came from the future :cool:

Zombie.Crusher
01-31-2011, 04:51 AM
or he has just a common sense on how to make money.