PDA

View Full Version : Can you tap a card to use its effect the turn it comes into play?

Sir Arun
09-18-2010, 11:53 AM
For example, an artifact having the "tap" symbol. Can you play it and then tap it in the same turn?

Because that's what Tezzeret did the turn he brought Onyx Goblet into play...

hydramarine
09-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I think you can. That is certainly the case with Battle Gnome and Elvish Eulogist.

JackM
09-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Onyx Goblet is not a creature so it does not suffer of summoning sickness. All creatures, except the ones with Haste, suffer from summoning sickness and cannot be tapped on the turn they are summoned, either to attack or to activate an ability that requires them to tap.

@hydramarine:
Sacrifice, as in the case of Battle Gnome or Elvish Eulogist, does not require the creature to tap.

Ianthegeek
09-18-2010, 12:25 PM
the only things you can't tap to activate their ability are creatures. They have summoning sickness and this prevents it from tapping itself. Everything else can be tapped the turn it come's into play.

As a side note creatures that have just entered play can be tapped by other cards though. And non creature items that are then turned into creatures the turn they enter the field are immediately subject to summoning sickness and cannot tap themselves. But I don't think there are any cards in the game that do that quite yet.

And just to clear something up for Hydramarine. The activated abilities of bottle gnomes and the Elvish Eulogist do not require any tapping so aren't really relevant to the question. Sorry dude:)

hydramarine
09-18-2010, 01:02 PM
What about Drudge Skeleton? You can tap it the first round it comes into play?

Or what about 2/2 Scales of Fury dragon? If you have the mountain, cant you activate its ability?

My initial response would be the same as you, but then as I thought more about it, I changed my mind.

Goteki-45
09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
What about Drudge Skeleton? You can tap it the first round it comes into play?

Or what about 2/2 Scales of Fury dragon? If you have the mountain, cant you activate its ability?

My initial response would be the same as you, but then as I thought more about it, I changed my mind.

You cannot tap either of those cards the turn they come out. You can activate their abilities because their abilities do not involve tapping them.

The only creatures you can tap the turn they come out are creatures with haste, since that removes their summoning sickness.

Ianthegeek
09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi hydramarine. It seems you are getting confused between tapping a creature, which involves turning it sideways and just activating it's ability. If the ability involved tapping it as a cost then you cannot do it. But if no tapping is involved then you can. Neither drudge skeleton or the 2/2 dragon need to tap to activate their ability.

hydramarine
09-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Got it now :)

PugPug
09-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Creatures with Vigilance also get summoning sickness, even though they don't tap when they attack.

Welcome to Magic, where every card breaks the rules somehow!

Goteki-45
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Except that summoning sickness states that a creature cannot attack or be tapped to use an ability.

p00k4kk3
09-19-2010, 01:06 AM
if tapping is part of the activation cost of a creature ability (whether it is an artifact creature or not) then you can not do it on the first turn it is in play and can not do it until the creature has spent an upkeep phase under your control.

If tapping is not part of the activation of the ability on the creature card, you can do it the turn it is brought into play.

Artifacts do not suffer summoning sickness; however, artifact creatures are effected by summoning sickness.

When you are examining the activation cost of a creature ability, anything before the : is part of the activation cost. If you see the tap symbol, then that is part of the activation cost.

PugPug
09-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Except that summoning sickness states that a creature cannot attack or be tapped to use an ability.

Well of course nothing breaks the rules. But lots of card powers are exceptions to the usual rules.

Ianthegeek
09-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Nope. I'm still not getting this whole "tapping the turn it come's into play" thing... Is summoning sickness when the creature is just being lazy? or is it more like the way I need 2 cups of tea in the morning before I can do anything constructive?

Minus_Prime
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Is summoning sickness when the creature is just being lazy? or is it...

They're probably disoriented from being warped in from another plane of existence, time and/or space. It's kind of like they're 'sick' from being 'summoned' that way.

Ianthegeek
09-21-2010, 05:50 AM
"'sick' from being 'summoned'"!!!

Just sounds like another way of saying lazy ta me!

chen52808
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
They are probably just sick from dying over and over again and being summoned again lol.

Askjosh
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
They're probably disoriented from being warped in from another plane of existence, time and/or space. It's kind of like they're 'sick' from being 'summoned' that way.

Think of it as jet lag :-)

if you were summoned from California to Paris France, chances are you want to spend the first day relaxing at the hotel because your too tired from the flight.

same with your creature

p00k4kk3
09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Summoning sickness used to make more sense when "creature" cards used to be "summon" cards. It would say "Summon Bears" or "Summon Zombie", whatever. So, any summon card (creatures) would be afflicted by summoning sickness. The only exception to that was the card type "Artifact Creature", which counted as a summon card.

L4d1234
09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Every creature has summoning sickness unless it has haste.
Artifacts are not creatures and do not suffer summoning sickness.

PorkSocks
09-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Why did this topic get so long? This isn't a difficult concept, either in the abstract rules sense or in coming up with a logical justification for it.

The simple rule is: A creature cannot attack or use its own effects with a "tap symbol" (turning arrow) on the turn it comes into play unless it has Haste. All else is fair game.