PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly Low FPS

TimothyG
09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi, I've been having a problem lately, hoping some more technically advanced people can give me some insight. About 3 days ago, my computer has been suddenly getting extremely low fps. On steam games (mostly CSS) it juggles between 250-300 fps, the computer and video card are very top of the line. However now I seem to only get 30-60 fps, and it will often dip below into the teens during intense combat, or explosions, etc.

Hardware wise I'm wondering if this might mean my video cards going bad. It isn't getting any artifacts, the fan doesn't sound louder or quieter than usual, and it isn't running hot, which makes me think everything might be fine, but like I said I'm not as expert in this area as I'd like to be, and have never encountered this problem.

Computer specs are as follows.
----------------------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: OEM
System Model: OEM
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 2552MB RAM
Page File: 1340MB used, 3099MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6899)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6899&SUBSYS_0B001002&REV_00
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
--------------------------------

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. The problem was sudden and very awkward, so I regret to say I can't give any possibilities as to what might have caused it.

lo3.explicit
09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
virus scan. check for adware/malware/spyware. if you want to test your video card to see if its faltering download and run furmark and check temps that way. reinstall drivers. thats a few things to start with.

seseorang
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
What do you have installed? Please give a list as full as possible - or copy your MSInfo file here

Teune
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
you're not the only one check this topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358270 there seems to be perfomance issues with the last update.

imeem
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
This is offtopic but, u should upgrade to window 7, especially with your computer specs, ram should be upgraded if going to windows 7

roxim5
09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Not trying to be off topic, but why do you have Windows XP Home Edition and not Windows 7 or Vista?

That system deserves a 64-bit OS at least.

Back to topic...

What kind of Power Supply do you have? It is possible that might be the reason...

imeem
09-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Not trying to be off topic, but why do you have Windows XP Home Edition and not Windows 7 or Vista?

That system deserves a 64-bit OS at least.

Back to topic...

What kind of Power Supply do you have? It is possible that might be the reason...

Elle Oh Elle

skoops
09-20-2010, 05:07 PM
you're not the only one check this topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358270 there seems to be perfomance issues with the last update.

That thread wasnt started after the latest update it was made many months ago when Valve/ HPE first ported over CSS to the OB engine.The OP also stated this problem has only been occurring over the last 3 days so i think we can rule out it being a recent update issue.

Sounds like a heat problem to me or malfunctioning CPU or GPU.

TimothyG
09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
This is offtopic but, u should upgrade to window 7, especially with your computer specs, ram should be upgraded if going to windows 7

I will be upgrading soon, after I built the computer I used what was available as a sort of os check to make sure everything was gravy, never bothered to upgrade though, I'm very lazy.

Currently have 6 gigs of G.Skill DDR3 SDRAM, only using 2.5, all the more reason to upgrade haha

Scanned computer, found a trojan, removed to no avail. Yes, I've reinstalled all the drivers, software wise things all seem in good order, this is why I was led to believe it was a hardware problem itself, but I've not heard of a video card going bad simply by dropping fps.

Using a Corsair 850W ATX CPU Power Supply currently, and will post msinfo here after shortly

**EDIT**

The file msinfo generated is huge, as in tons of text. Would you like something out of it that's more specific? A preferred section? That would make this much much quicker I think.

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
For get it Valve Muffed the Source engine, I have the same issue and there are more out there with this issue all valve source engine games seem to be affected one way or another....

problem with fire and water and lots of other things... Look here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286478) to give u an idea...

TimothyG
09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
For get it Valve Muffed the Source engine, I have the same issue and there are more out there with this issue all valve source engine games seem to be affected one way or another....

problem with fire and water and lots of other things... Look here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286478) to give u an idea...

That doesn't explain why it suddenly started a few days ago though. If that were the case this would have started when they made the changes yes?

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
That doesn't explain why it suddenly started a few days ago though. If that were the case this would have started when they made the changes yes?

That would depend on when your updates came through, I only got them last month :(
Wish I didn't get them at all.... Au servers seem a bit behind for content.... (DAME YOU 3FL) meh it's free download for me....

Hardwood
09-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Check taskmanager for something hogging cpu cycles, specifically check windows update service and disable if necessary. Also check event viewer for recurring errors.

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Check taskmanager for something hogging cpu cycles, specifically check windows update service and disable if necessary. Also check event viewer for recurring errors.

I can't see that helping!

Lots of ppl are experiencing this issue on mid~ high-end system's

unless its a problem with ATI drivers.

seem's to happen most when there is fire on screen..

HL2-4-Life
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Does this FR drop occur in other games too (non-Source)? If so, it's prolly hardware related, if not, it's the update that may have messed things up.....can't say for sure since I don't play CSS. I can say that all the single player Source games I play - HL2/Ep1/Ep2/Portal - run just fine, even my CSS VST lands me 299fps.

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Does this FR drop occur in other games too (non-Source)? If so, it's prolly hardware related, if not, it's the update that may have messed things up.....can't say for sure since I don't play CSS. I can say that all the single player Source games I play - HL2/Ep1/Ep2/Portal - run just fine, even my CSS VST lands me 299fps.

You have a similar set up to me except 2x5870's what version of cat are u using?
Have u played recently with fraps running?
what the FPS like when thing's are on fire?

And I rule out hardware as this is happening to me and a few other's.

Hardwood
09-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I can't see that helping!

Oh Yee of little faith!!! Just fixed my buddies XP machine that was doing that, except worse because he only has a single core processor.

HL2-4-Life
09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm at work now, when I'm back, I'll run CSS VST and see what I get (with Cat 10.9)....last time I ran it, it was about a couple of weeks back I think.

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh Yee of little faith!!! Just fixed my buddies XP machine that was doing that, except worse because he only has a single core processor.

ok so what did you find just out of curiosity

I'm at work now, when I'm back, I'll run CSS VST and see what I get (with Cat 10.9)....last time I ran it, it was about a couple of weeks back I think.

as long as theres fire, that would be good!! Thanks

Another 2 HL2 updates came through today grrr dated 24/08/2010 and 18/8/2010 seem's to have fixed most of the problem's, Grr I checked for update's 5~10 min before and there where none then auto update decides to do updates WTF.. AND 1 MONTH LATE grr..

TimothyG
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
That's where I'm supposed to be, or was rather. Juggling between 250 and 300.

It happens in any game, and it's confirmed by furmark as well.

I really hope it's not my vid card going bad, only had it for about 7 months now, and it wasn't cheap haha.

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
That's where I'm supposed to be, or was rather. Juggling between 250 and 300.

It happens in any game, and it's confirmed by furmark as well.

I really hope it's not my vid card going bad, only had it for about 7 months now, and it wasn't cheap haha.

any game or just source based game's?

May be a driver Issue..

TimothyG
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Any game, reinstalled all drivers as stated in a previous post.

borg_7_of_9
09-20-2010, 10:34 PM
What are your cpu/gpu temp's like?

you could roll back to cat 10.4~10.5 to rule out driver's

TimothyG
09-21-2010, 03:04 AM
What are your cpu/gpu temp's like?

you could roll back to cat 10.4~10.5 to rule out driver's

After a furmark test, shows the GPU caps out at a temp of 85 Celsius. FPS had a 60 low, and 105 high, however, this does not speak for all tests. Some tests showed lows as far as 15-30, and highs only up to 60-70. This is the best test by far.

As for the driver, that's ironically what I was using before, 10.4. I upgraded to the latest one (10.9 I believe) in an attempt to see if that might have been the problem.

borg_7_of_9
09-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Well GPU temp's are fine CPU?
try this (http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/) for cpu temp?
while running Prime95 (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Prime95.shtml)

or you could use OCCT (http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?News)

HL2-4-Life
09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
OK, as promised, I ran CSS VST again, but this time @5760x1200 with max setting + max AA/AF, scored 202.55fps, I'm sure @1920x1200, I'd score ~300fps.

Hardwood
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
about your CPU temp, it might be able to throttle down when too hot.

Seven, What did I find? I found windows update stuck trying to install 2 unneeded updates for Office and another for .net.

damaged
09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
(...)However now I seem to only get 30-60 fps(...)

Sounds to me like vsync got enabled.

TimothyG
09-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I dedicate this post to "borg_7_of_9"

Thank you thank you thank you so much for opening my eyes to properly troubleshooting my computer.

You were right, cpu temp was high, very high, 100C+, and upon running prime for a little over a minute the computer shut down, where it finally dawned on me that all the little problems of late, along with the low fps, was due to overheating.

Upon closer inspection, 2 of the 4 fasteners for the cpu fan had popped out, giving the cpu one heck of a hard time dumping heat.

Refastened the fan, and saw instant improvements, even the POST sounded healthy, not the odd drawn out one that had been happening the last few days. Computer runs like a champ again, steam loaded super fast, and CSS as well, now I'm enjoying my 300 fps again!

Thank you again borg, you've humbled me greatly, now I feel like a total idiot that I missed that upon the first inspection, I dun goofed.

imeem
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
lol nice

borg_7_of_9
09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I dedicate this post to "borg_7_of_9"

Thank you thank you thank you so much for opening my eyes to properly troubleshooting my computer.

You were right, cpu temp was high, very high, 100C+, and upon running prime for a little over a minute the computer shut down, where it finally dawned on me that all the little problems of late, along with the low fps, was due to overheating.

Upon closer inspection, 2 of the 4 fasteners for the cpu fan had popped out, giving the cpu one heck of a hard time dumping heat.

Refastened the fan, and saw instant improvements, even the POST sounded healthy, not the odd drawn out one that had been happening the last few days. Computer runs like a champ again, steam loaded super fast, and CSS as well, now I'm enjoying my 300 fps again!

Thank you again borg, you've humbled me greatly, now I feel like a total idiot that I missed that upon the first inspection, I dun goofed.

Don't thank me once you said it was happening to all games and on cat 10.4 I just figured something was hot and CPU's throttle when hot.

Thank god modern cpu have thermal protection...

Happy gaming..