PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen Of Death

Mouseraider
09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I am encountering a black screen of death whenever I play Rome Total Empire, I am somewhat at a loss since I have no idea what is actually causing the crash.
I have attempted to play the game even with the lowest graphical settings but after few seconds on the campaign map I end up with a black screen.

Drivers are up to date for both hardware and software, according to EVGA Precision my temperatures are quite stable and below 60.

I can easily run Napoleon Total War with high graphical settings without experiencing black screens, crashes or slowdowns.

i7 950
GTX 295
6GB DDR3
Win 7 64 bit

Any help is appreciated.

Mouseraider
09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Proper solution is to dramatically downclock the graphic card, the odd thing is that it hardly have anything to do with the temperature.

Niscimble
09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
It may be trying to run at a higher FPS or weird resolution than your monitor can handle.

Mouseraider
09-24-2010, 04:13 AM
My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ, it's native resolution is 1680x1050 and I always set the resolution to this, I did try and set both in-game resolutions to the lowest possible but the instant crash happenend anyway. Could it be because my screen runs at 120hz.
I guess you could be right about the FPS thing, since downclocking my graphic card by roughly 30% have been the only solution for me so far.

Anyway, I have played Rome Total War Gold Edition for 15 hours without encountering the black screen, I just find it odd that a black screen would occour when things arent overheating.

Oh btw, thumbs up for EVGA Precision, it is far better than the program nVidia released to control overclocking and monitoring preformance and heat.