PDA

View Full Version : Blood Bowl DE Edition Issues And Bugs

WNxFusionGamerX
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Sticky Required...

Blood Bowl DE Edition Issues And Bugs

1 - Loading - On just one page of this thread I have heard about crash to desktop, black screen where nothing appears, monitor resolution problems like turning fullscreen off and then finding you cannot edit settings and save them as the save button is no longer visible on screen, not being able to alt tab, not being able to ctrl-alt-del, intro movie not appearing properly.

Most of the loading issues occur under Windows Vista or 7, XP has a smaller number of issues regarding the above. To fix fullscreen disable only showing you quarter of the screen find the config.xml and change the 0 back to 1

2 - Difficulty Modes - Lets say you start out as humans or wood elves or even the new dark elves, on easy I would expect to win maybe around 60% of matches, maybe 75% if your more advanced into the game, with humans I won exactly 0% of the time, with wood elves it was around 20%, with dark elves this drops to around 10%, clearly the game thinks you are on medium or hard when your not.

3 - The AI and The Dice - It might not be considered cheating but the AI definitely has major coding issues, nearly all opponents receiving will get the ball and immediately "cage" the ball carrier giving you NO chance of intercepting that ball or stealing it for a TD, ai clearly has a strength in numbers mentality only, this is not choice or variety, this is unfair to newer players or more skilled players alike and should be addressed.

The dice also gets mentioned in the threads, now I don't know much about tabletop games that are now on Steam, but you would reasonably assume that the dice would roll in your favour more on "easy", slightly less on "medium" and much less on "hard". The RNG clearly does not do this and it's certainly not random from turn to turn and game to game, this must also be addressed.

4 - Money, Players and Upgrades - Notice how the AI always seems to have a bit of cash to spend on mercenaries and a few inducements, meanwhile your teams suffering problems based on the above issues meaning you earn very little in terms of gold per game and certainly never enough to get advantage over the AI, prize money and prestige earned should be looked at, you might win some games but I guarantee those percentage numbers will be off based on the broken game.

Players and upgrades also get a mention here as you need gold to buy the inducements, bribe the ref, get cheerleaders, buy potions etc and also to get better gear once a player hits level 3 or 5, not earning enough means you WANT to fully kit out your new lvl 3/5 player but you cannot as the gold is NEVER there to back you up!

Feedback says you get gold penaltys if your team value if higher than the opponents, why does the game penalize you simply for being the better team? Let us see the issues for what they truly are and that's game breaking!

5 - Stadiums - Nice selection of arenas, but have you noticed how the fans don't have any real cheering animations or drink beer or swop black market tickets, they just stand there looking pretty discontented, like they know the game is broken and want out so badly they refuse to cheer for ANY team! LOL

If I missed something please let me know and I will update, buying new players or negociating with better ones falls under #4

Thankyou for your attention...

Delinth
09-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Please sticky if possible...

Blood Bowl DE Edition Issues And Bugs

1 - Loading - On just one page of this thread I have heard about crash to desktop, black screen where nothing appears, monitor resolution problems like turning fullscreen off and then finding you cannot edit settings and save them as the save button is no longer visible on screen, not being able to alt tab, not being able to ctrl-alt-del, intro movie not appearing properly.

2 - Difficulty Modes - Lets say you start out as humans or wood elves or even the new dark elves, on easy I would expect to win maybe around 60% of matches, maybe 75% if your more advanced into the game, with humans I won exactly 0% of the time, with wood elves being tested I can only get around 20% if I am lucky, with dark elves this drops to around 10%, clearly the game thinks your on medium or hard when I'm not.

3 - The AI and The Dice - It might not be considered cheating but the AI definitely has major coding issues, nearly all opponents receiving will get the ball and immediately "cage" the ball carrier giving you NO chance of intercepting that ball or stealing it for a TD, ai clearly has a strength in numbers mentality only, this is not choice or variety, this is unfair to newer players or more skilled players alike and should be addressed.

The dice also gets mentioned in the threads, now I don't know much about tabletop games that are now on Steam, but you would reasonably assume that the dice would roll in your favour more on "easy", slightly less on "medium" and much less on "hard". The RNG clearly does not do this and it's certainly not random from turn to turn and game to game, this must also be addressed.

4 - Money, Players and Upgrades - Notice how the AI always seems to have a bit of cash to spend on mercenaries and a few inducements, meanwhile your teams suffering problems based on the above issues meaning you earn very little in terms of gold per game and certainly never enough to get advantage over the AI, prize money and prestige earned should be looked at, you might win some games but I guarantee those percentage numbers will be off based on the broken game.

Players and upgrades also get a mention here as you need gold to buy the inducements, bribe the ref, get cheerleaders, buy potions etc and also to get better gear once a player hits level 3 or 5, not earning enough means you WANT to fully kit out your new lvl 3/5 player but you cannot as the gold is NEVER there to back you up!

5 - Stadiums - Nice selection of arenas, but have you noticed how the fans don't have any real cheering animations or drink beer or swop black market tickets, they just stand there looking pretty discontented, like they know the game is broken and want out so badly they refuse to cheer for ANY team! LOL

If I missed something please let me know and I will update, buying new players or negociating with better ones falls under #4

Thankyou for your attention...

Lets see:

1: Most problems reported on running the game are because of Windows Vista/7. Usually running it as an admin will fix the problem. Also running it in windowed mode alleviates the black screens. Annoying to be sure, and some people have serious issues. But the serious issues are a minority.

2: As far as the difficulty settings, it ends up being a double edged sword. On the one hand they don't really use strategy when it comes to moving the ball and usually try more idiotic plays. On the other hand, these plays are perfect examples of high risk/high reward plays. So while it's generally a bad play, sometimes the dice rolls go their way and you can't stop it. Play on medium, it's a decent balance of conservative/risk playing.

Also, I'd say you need to more firmly understand the rules. Usually new players get trounced because they don't understand what's actually happening. Because the tutorial is atrocious.

I understand how stupid it is to read a huge manual just to play a game, but it's pretty much needed in this one. www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

3: Of course they cage the ball, not letting you get near it. You would too! You don't send a lone runner out with the ball, they'll kill him (sometimes that's quite literally what happens). If someone tried to send a ball-runner, by himself, down the field, I'd swarm him, crush him, and foul him into oblivion. Then take the ball and murder my way down the field.

This is a violent team game. You need your whole team to do what it takes to make sure you get the ball, keep the ball, and get the ball to the end zone. Sometimes that means injuring every player they have, or holding off the other team just long enough to set yourself up to move the ball. Either way, you DO NOT scatter your players around, even against human opponents because they will dismantle you.

4: I only play the Classic mode so I do not "kit out" my players. As far as the other team always having money; is your team value higher than theirs? If so, that's why. Your team is more experienced, so to make up the indifference they get extra money. The more the difference, the more money they get.

Concerning the gaining of money, it's meant to be slow. You are not supposed to buy inducements every game. You are not supposed to buy cheerleaders whenever you want. You are not supposed to be able to buy whatever players you want every game. You ARE supposed to think about what the rewards and consequences of spending your money will be. Do you spend 100k to bribe the ref against a Skaven team that's giving you trouble, or do you save it in case you have to replace a teammate?

5: I agree. I would like to see more life from the stadium, but I'll take a better core game over some eye candy if it comes to that.

CarloTheCurious
09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
1. Also, black screen on start-up in Win7 can be the intro movies not playing - Disabling desktop composition for the game shortcut/exe fixed it for me.

2. To be honest, it sounds like you need more practice (and to read a few strategy guides, if you haven't already) - the AI really isn't that hard to beat. If anything, it's too easy - in my current Classic campaign on medium difficulty I haven't lost in 50-odd games with Dark Elves, and I'm by no means a great player.

The basic thing is simply risk management - just be aware that every time you perform an action which needs a dice roll, you might fail. If you plan for that eventuality you'll be in much better shape to deal with it when it does inevitably happen.

3. As far as I know, the difficulty setting mainly affects the AI's strategies and how many risks it will take. As Delinth said, caging is just good sense - and they're not unbreakable.

The dice are purely random (even though they might not seem that way after you've just rolled triple skulls twice in a row :p).

4. I also play Classic, so I can't comment on kitting your players out, but you & your opponent will get inducement-only cash based on relative TVs - and vs the AI your TV will often be much higher, so they'll get a ton of cash to spend on inducements (usually 1-2 million every match in my current campaign - not that it does them any good :)). Inducements for yourself are rarely necessary, in my experience.

Spiralling expenses might be more of a problem (assuming it's the same on Blitz), since it makes it harder to earn money with higher TVs - but if you want to change it then it's pretty easy to mod.

5. More fluff would be nice. More races, better :). Although some of the existing fluff could be tuned a bit - it is mildy irritating when the commentators say something like 'He knocked his teeth down his throat' when my female Witch Elf has just flattened a female Wardancer...

Couple of useful links:

Cyanide forums (http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewforum.php?f=34)
Bloodbowl Playbook (http://www.bbtactics.com/)

EDIT: Oh, and this! :)
http://www.bbpb.de/blood-bowl-maxims