PDA

View Full Version : Native OS client design

dj-corny
09-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Okay, first: sorry if a thread 'bout it already exsists. I've searched around but nothing really found.

So:
Back in the days where Steam UI 2010 was presented to us, many were really upset. The design is great also the usability. It wnt on with the beta tests and so on. But many of us was hoping for a native os design for the client coming with the UI update...

Because some of us want a seamless design on our desktop. So today I worked out an idea for a native client design and did a mockup in Photoshop. Here it is:

http://fav.me/d2z9crn (Link to deviantART)

As you can see it's an Office 2010-like interface with kind of ribbon menu, Appbutton and so on. It would be great to see something linke that some day. 'Cause I don't hate the current scanlines-design, but I want a clear, seamless Windows Desktop...

Positive thing is: the whole interface could also work on Mac, because it can work with ribbons, too.

Most important change is: Instead of displaying the steam account name it just shows the community nickname (veeery important for screenshots, 'cause you don't have to hide it)...

This is my first version, I will work out it in the next days and adding some other views to show how the ribbon and the small view works.

Tell me what you think.
Thanks so far...

ÁR╝
09-22-2010, 01:07 PM
I like it, but I don't spend even 2 minutes looking at the Steam UI.

ester25
09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Looks nice, why can't it just be a skin?

Alexc26
09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
It does look good, but I think the UI we have now is fine, but you could make your mockup into a skin as ester25 said.

bobsmith102
09-22-2010, 02:58 PM
It looks really nice, but I hardly look at the interface.

rikkit
09-22-2010, 06:23 PM
If anyone can make it as a skin, please do. The only thing I don't like about the current ui is the same gradient everywhere... it looks a little dirty.

lavacano201014
09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think you can put Aero Glass into a skin. Unless I'm missing something.

But other than that, nice. You've taken the Ribbon interface concept (a good concept Office introduced) and implemented it properly (something Office failed to do)

Crab
09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I would like to point out that there is no Ribbon UI in Mac. It would look out of place. Plus it would look out of place in XP as well, which is a large section of Steam usage. There's no way to satisfy any group.

There's also the problem of having to maintain these "native" UI's. Not only did they just rewrite the Steam UI, a huge undertaking, but if they were really concerned about native UI's, they'd have to make at least 3 different Steam clients, which would make it hard to keep them all in parallel.

Plus, who should really be concerned about how Steam looks? Frankly, it should just be that you buy games off of the Steam website and run the games individually without the Steam client at this rate. Maybe move the Steam community/chat to browser based as well. Most of the Steam client pretty much is already. The look of the Steam UI shouldn't really be a problem. Do you complain about how your games aren't in native UIs, even in windowed mode? No, you're supposed to use it and pretty much quickly be past it.

Just my 2 cents. The Mac users are arguing for a Cocoa (native) UI for a while, and that's because that might fix a bunch of weird thinks that the Steam client does. You should feel lucky that it even works like a native application in Windows. Not that I'm complaining about the Mac client, it's wonderful, but I'm just repeating what people are saying in the Mac forums.